The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Williamsfan301

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or is the score a bit short for such a film ?

No, it sounds just right. Patrick Doyle recorded 100 minutes of score for the fourth Harry Potter film, which ended up 2 1/2 hours long. Granted, since it's a Fox-produced film "Dawn Treader" will probably be close to 2 hours long rather than over 2 hours like the first two Disney-produced flicks were.

But I'm not a fan of wall-to-wall music. Elliot Goldenthal did a good job with that for the Schumacher Batman films, but I think wall-to-wall music would be too much in a Narnia film.

• 3 weeks later...

i was watcing the trailer when all of a sudden the superman opening titles started playing (it actually fit somewhat) and i was all like O_- then i remembered i had left a tab open with the opening credits from superman

New Poster + New trailer !

Dawn-Treader-poster.jpg

Why is it in Polish? The best translation I can come up with with google translate for the tagline is "Take a voyage, come on an adventure. Discover the Narnia you have not yet seen."

Then at the bottom, "In theaters 25th of December. In select theaters in digital 3-D."

Why is it in Polish? The best translation I can come up with with google translate for the tagline is "Take a voyage, come on an adventure. Discover the Narnia you have not yet seen."

Then at the bottom, "In theaters 25th of December. In select theaters in digital 3-D."

Very accurate translation :folder:

Latest tweet from Arnold:

"narnia score is recorded and mixed.90 minutes..97 days of writing and recording.I am officially rather pleased with it.hope everyone else is"

I anticipate a nearly complete score release ;)

Is there a chance Arnold might premiere some of it tomorrow?

Not likely. I don't expect him revealing it during Concert for Care next Monday either.

That's what I meant. Better than than Gregson-Williams'.

I know I've probably posted this already but I'm actually excited about this release, Arnold really seems enthused about this project.

I asked Arnold if he had used some original themes in his score and he confirmed that we would hear Gregson-Williams' tune at the beginning and at the end of the movie.

I asked Arnold if he had used some original themes in his score and he confirmed that we would hear Gregson-Williams' tune at the beginning and at the end of the movie.

Nice. I've been wondering how he was going to handle this.

I of course would want Arnold to bring a fresh sound to the series and make it his own, but at the same time not completely ignore continuity.

A nod at the beginning and end sounds just about right.

i hope he does not use synth or alteast not as much synth for this score.

I guess the main theme... which I believe is heard here at the beginning:

no thats from the melting lake scene when the come out of the water on the ice platform-thingy

and about the cover who says its not ocean spray or something like that?

I know I've probably posted this already but I'm actually excited about this release, Arnold really seems enthused about this project.

I know I have too, but I'll say it again. ;)

I guess the main theme... which I believe is heard here at the beginning:

no thats from the melting lake scene when the come out of the water on the ice platform-thingy

I meant the beginning of this track :)

I've spoken to Arnold on Facebook about Dawn Treader a couple of weeks ago. He said the score is completely orchestral, no synth effects, which will make any interpretations of HGW's material very interesting. He also said he wanted 70-75 minutes of score on the album and considering it is being released by Sony, the same company that gave Debney 73 minutes of score for Iron Man 2, I'd say we will at least have 70 minutes of score. He didn't mention anything about a Carrie Underwood song, so it's possible the song is being released digitally only and the soundtrack will only have the score. It disappoints me if the inclusion of the song meant Arnold didn't have to compose an End Credits suite, but I imagine a tracklist will reveal all before long.

:fouetaa:

Shouldn't be unexpected though, considering the last two films.

At least Harry Potter remains unscathed thus far (ignoring Jarvis Cocker for a minute).

Well yes, I expected a cut/paste End Credits piece, but had my fingers crossed for Arnold to do something original. On the same topic, I wonder how the credits for Deathly Hallows 1 will play out considering the album has no clear End Credits piece.

An incredible suite brilliantly weaving the main themes from the whole franchise in a majestic tapestry of unparalleled musical genius, no doubt.

Not every composer would do what Arnold did, quoting the theme from previous films in the beginning and end.

Especially considering Arnold is a much more prolific composer than HGW.

So 18 mins will be unreleased, and Arnold is satisfied about that. Hopefully those 18 mins will be unremarkable :)

And all this hype is rather dangerous... my expectations for this score are currently through the roof.

I know man. This and Deathly Hallows were my two most anticipated releases of the year.

Hallows didn't make that big a splash with me, so now Narnia is the big one -- even more so after reading that interview.

It's interesting to contrast the two scenarios (as far as that's possible at this point).

Here we have the latest installments of two prominent fantasy franchises, almost going head-to-head as it were.

A new composer for each series, both of which were musically started by a Williams no less (John and Harry Gregson-).

One's musical legacy is unquestionable. The other, not so much.

And yet we might have a case here where the latter is given greater eminence than the former.

With the brouhaha around here regarding Potter, I think what Arnold said about reusing Harry's themes is rather amusing:

I spoke about it with Harry as we are friends and he was pleased that we were including his work as often it doesn’t happen, but I am aware of the effect his music has on those who care about these films and I think it would be churlish and ignorant to dismiss it as anything other than essential. It’s very boldly stated in three key points in the movie, but once we begin the journey everything changes.

Narnia's album will be released three weeks after Potter's.

Let the contest begin. :)

Nice! The words by Arnold are really encouraging. Personally, I don't care for Gregson-Williams' theme, but it's great to see that he respects and reprises what other composers did for the same franchise. It's the most logical thing.

I agree with Colin. The score to the first movie completely ruined the experience for me. I remember sitting their watching it with my wife and hearing the score to the LOTR movies going through my head while watching it. A Howard Shore score would have worked really well for these. The whole reason we didn't see the second movie was because we knew the same guy did the music.

My only fear is that this is may start to sound like a Bond movie.

I also agree that the score to the first movie helped turn me off to this series. Among other things.

I'm excited that they are going to get a real composer to do the work. Also, this book is the most condusive to film, so I think it will be good. No question it will be the best one yet.