The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Williamsfan301

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know if all the actors are still on board?

From the above article:

Ben Barnes, Skandar Keynes and Georgie Henley will be returning as Prince Caspian, Edmund and Lucy while Will Poulter from Garth Jennings' Son of Rambow will play Eustace Clarence Scrubb.

I guess Peter and Lucy aren't in it.

Does anybody know if all the actors are still on board?

From the above article:

Ben Barnes, Skandar Keynes and Georgie Henley will be returning as Prince Caspian, Edmund and Lucy while Will Poulter from Garth Jennings' Son of Rambow will play Eustace Clarence Scrubb.

I guess Peter and Lucy aren't in it.

You mean Peter and Susan.

They cant be in the movie since they are not in the book. As they say in Caspian, they grown up and cannot return.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just finished re-reading Narnia up through Dawn Treader today. Haven't read them since I was a kid. Such fantastic writing! It will really be a shame if Harry Potter gets a movie for all seven books and Narnia doesn't.

Unlike Narnia, Harry Potter is just well done.

You're kidding me, right? I mean, I have no problem with Harry Potter. They are quite enjoyable stories. But there is no comparison when it comes to writing style. Rowling is a great storyteller but a novice writer. Lewis was an absolute genius at both.

Ah. In that case, both franchises are pretty crappy book-to-movie transitions, but both are still good enough to still be enjoyable for the sake of the books.

Of course I was talking about the movies! :thumbup:

Unlike Narnia, Harry Potter had great music, great cast, good special effects, and its fair share of good writing and directing.

I thought 1 & 2 were the best, perfectly capturing the tones of the books and not leaving out any important details.

3 was awesomely shot and directed, but it frustrated me with what they left out from the book.

4 was easily the worst. Worst directing, acting, look, and too much removal of important stuff.

5 & 6 are fun and enjoyable movies that mostly cover every thing, but also leave out some key stuff.

I hope 7 & 8 due book 7 justice. I like the directing style from 5 & 6 for the most part, and with 2 films they shouldn't have to drop too much. I hope some of the dropped Voldemort stuff from 6 winds up in 7 or 8.

Back on topic, I thought TLTWATW was a good adaptation (from what I remember of the book, its been a while). Prince Caspian they seemed to get too crazy with the battle stuff and it lacked the quieter moments... also seemed like not too much important happened. The one trailer I saw for Dawn Treader looked REALLY fun. I hope they film Silver Chair next.

Doesn't matter to me if they ever film Horse and His Boy, but Magician's Nephew and Last Battle movies would be really cool.

The only Narnia movie that I ever watched was the original (BBC or PBS?) version of TLTWATW made way back in the day, before it was turned into a post-TLOTR fantasy violence epic. I remember liking it.

The only Narnia movie that I ever watched was the original (BBC or PBS?) version of TLTWATW made way back in the day, before it was turned into a post-TLOTR fantasy violence epic. I remember liking it.

Most likely BBC. I need to check that out someday. I've always wondered how Potter would have turned out if the Beeb had gotten to it before Hollywood.

The books really are much better.

Indeed. I still enjoy the Potter books to this day. Haven't read any Narnia since I was a wee lad, though.

Most likely BBC. I need to check that out someday. I've always wondered how Potter would have turned out if the Beeb had gotten to it before Hollywood.

It probably would have been boring, strange, and bland. Sometimes the American studio system can sterilize filmmaking, but in this case, I think the loads of cash are necessary to inject the spectacle and magic of this particular franchise.

It wouldn't be any good for the types of films they've done so far, which are mainly big swordplay/battle films, but as a fantasy film in the hands of a capable director, The Magician's Nephew could be a real treat. An '80s style take on the film would be outstanding--I'm thinking perhaps a Jim Henson vibe. It would be a film to be savored more than the others--a lot of atmosphere, and enjoyment through the cinematic realizations of the worlds and scenes of the book. It might disappoint the audience looking for the same stuff we've seen, but I'd love to see it.

Spectacle, magic, and great storytelling are rarely bought by cash.

I think in the case of Harry Potter, the combination of a crew who seems to really have a passion for the story, a talented, all-British cast, and hundreds of millions of dollars have worked together to produce something magical. Compare with Transformers and you can see that money alone is not enough. Look at Twilight and you will see (among many other flaws) that cheap effects can be detrimental to the mood.

It wouldn't be any good for the types of films they've done so far, which are mainly big swordplay/battle films, but as a fantasy film in the hands of a capable director, The Magician's Nephew could be a real treat. An '80s style take on the film would be outstanding--I'm thinking perhaps a Jim Henson vibe. It would be a film to be savored more than the others--a lot of atmosphere, and enjoyment through the cinematic realizations of the worlds and scenes of the book. It might disappoint the audience looking for the same stuff we've seen, but I'd love to see it.

That's the thing that worries me the most : they might try to attract the same people that enjoyed the first two, three films, thus adding useless "action" scenes, or extending scenes irrelevant to the plot, like Jadis wreaking havoc into London. By the way, can you picture Tilda Swinton lifting a lamp post ? :lol:

im thinking it will be done as flashback in the "Last Battle" film

I don't know if I'd be quite that certain, but I would say that the rest of the Narnia franchise depends on the success of this film. It has the potential to do well, though.

I'm sure after this one, there will be no more Narnia films.

The second one bombed, and this one seems to be a bit..." Johnny come lately"

I'm shocked it's gotten made at all after the last one. And if it wasn't for Arnold I really wouldn't care.

I don't see how a movie that made $142M domestically and $420M worldwide can be classified as a "bomb." True, it's domestic take was less than its $225M budget (All this data from box office mojo), but add in DVD sales and this was a highly profitable movie. I for one liked it better than the first in some ways; overall Caspian was a fun movie.

I agree that Dawn Treader must do better, though. Sequels tend to have diminishing returns and if this one isn't a hit, future sequels will be too risky for any studio to finance.

I don't know if I'd be quite that certain, but I would say that the rest of the Narnia franchise depends on the success of this film. It has the potential to do well, though.

Agreed. This is one of the best book from the saga. If the film ends up being a good adaptation of the book, it could really boost the series !

the movie trailer seemed to imply that the White Witch is in this one, unlike the book....

While I disagree, box office success has no relation to the composer.

People generally don't flock to the cinema because a certain composer is attached to a film.

But if a score makes a film better, and therefore has a good worth to mouth..

As an example I would site Jaws!

I hope Fox can get all the same actors to return. I don't know if their contracts would have been with Disney or with Walden

Their contracts were with Walden. In the recent Empire magazine on "Dawn Treader", director Michael Apted stated that when Fox picked up "Dawn Treader" (as well as the other novels), casting and filming locations were already locked in. Fox had to negotiate a set budget and script rewrites before pre-production got underway.

• 2 weeks later...