The 81st Annual Academy Awards

indy4

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dark Knight will get a lot. My guesses are: Actor in a Supporting Role, Directing, Cinematography, Adapted Screenplay, and maybe Editing.

Benjamin Button for Actor in a Leading Role, Best Picture, Makeup, Editing, Cinematography, Directing, Adapted Screenplay, Score, and maybe Production Design.

Milk for Actor in a Leading Role is certain, I would have to see the movie to get a feel for the rest of the categories.

WALL*E and Kung Fu Panda for Animated Picture. I can't remember any other animated films this year.

WALL*E and Kung Fu Panda for Animated Picture. I can't remember any other animated films this year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainme...E4AA0YC20081111

The contenders are "Bolt," "Delgo," "Dragon Hunters," "Fly Me to the Moon," "Igor," "Kung Fu Panda," "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa," "$9.99," "The Sky Crawlers," "Sword of the Stranger," "The Tale of Despereaux," "Waltz With Bashir" "WALL-E" and "Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!"

I haven't seen Madagascar 2, but if it's anything like the first, then it deserves the nomination as much as the score to Raiders deserved to lose.

Link.

So who do we think will get the nominations (fingers crossed for KotCS for best score)?

The Academy hasn't denied Williams a nomination (when eligible) since the 65th Academy Awards, when the music branch apparently found Richard Robbins' low-key dramatic score for Howard's End -- now largely forgotten -- more worthy than Williams's Far and Away. The previous three Indiana Jones scores were nominated, but as we have seen with the Star Wars prequels, that point is meaningless. The recent muddle of rules with regard to sequel scores only exacerbates things.

Still, despite his record, Williams was not, at least to me, an absolute lock for a nomination in 2000 or 2004, and yet his streak survived. It may have helped that 2000 had been a relatively weak year for film music as a whole and that Azkaban had been hailed a triumph both filmically and musically.

Out of those, my guess would be Bolt for the last nom, although it would be kinda neat if Horton got a nom.

I curious about Delgo, if only because it's been in production and post-production so long that Anne Bancroft is numbered among the film's voice talent.

Edit - bahaha, I completely misread indy 4's post. Never mind.

You should really pick better expressions than that.

:|

Link.

So who do we think will get the nominations (fingers crossed for KotCS for best score)?

The Academy hasn't denied Williams a nomination (when eligible) since the 65th Academy Awards, when the music branch apparently found Richard Robbins' low-key dramatic score for Howard's End -- now largely forgotten -- more worthy than Williams's Far and Away. The previous three Indiana Jones scores were nominated, but as we have seen with the Star Wars prequels, that point is meaningless. The recent muddle of rules with regard to sequel scores only exacerbates things.

Of all the scores to deny a nomination, they picked Far and Away. This angers me.

As for the KotCS predictions, I think we can expect a nomination. The fact that it's the only JW score of 2008 makes it a major possibility. The SW prequels and their lack of a nomination does spark some concern, but wasn't there some question as to whether the scores were submitted or not?

And if nominated, can we expect a win? It was my favorite score of the year (surprise!). No it was not as good as any of the previous three, so that brings the issue of whether it will be insulting to the previous three Indy scores if KotCS was the only one awarded. I wouldn't be upset by this, however, as the Academy's stupidity in 1981, 1982, and 1989 should not prevent an intelligent decision in 2008. And the difference between KotCS and its kin is not a great one in my opinion.

Out of those, my guess would be Bolt for the last nom, although it would be kinda neat if Horton got a nom.

What's neat about a mediocre movie with a good score being nominated?

My fingers are crossed for Waltz With Bashir to get recognized (even though Wall-E should deservedly walk away with the prize). An Israeli film, one of the few I've seen and liked. It's really something.

Where were the 'No Countries For Old Mans' or the 'There Will Be Bloods' this year? There weren't any, you say? Well, then all is possible in the land of mediocrity.

KotCS probably will be nominated. Will it win? Hello no, and I hope it doesn't because I don't think it deserves it. I'm now firm in my opinion that it's an average score with a collection of outstanding highlights.

I'd much rather they hold the damn ceremony at a time when I don't have to take the following Monday as leave in order to stay up. If the music nomination list is anything like last year's I'll question the need to stay up at all, because between the cheesy announcements/acceptance speeches and parade of films that haven't even been released in the UK yet, the music award is pretty much all I care about. Toss Santa winning into the mix, and you have one (no, wait... two) seriously wasted evening.

Yeah, this year is shaping up to be significantly weaker than last one. Of course, last year was an anomaly in the amount of very good or great movies.

The Academy hasn't denied Williams a nomination (when eligible) since the 65th Academy Awards, when the music branch apparently found Richard Robbins' low-key dramatic score for Howard's End -- now largely forgotten -- more worthy than Williams's Far and Away

I listen to Richard Robbins' music more often than I do John Williams. His score for THE REMAINS OF THE DAY would have won had it not been nominated in the same year as SCHINDLER'S LIST. And the FAR AND AWAY score is one of Williams' weakest. What's the phrase? Ah yes....too many notes.

The Academy hasn't denied Williams a nomination (when eligible) since the 65th Academy Awards, when the music branch apparently found Richard Robbins' low-key dramatic score for Howard's End -- now largely forgotten -- more worthy than Williams's Far and Away

I listen to Richard Robbins' music more often than I do John Williams. His score for THE REMAINS OF THE DAY won have won had it not been nominated in the same year as SCHINDLER'S LIST. And the FAR AND AWAY score is one of Williams' weakest. What's the phrase? Ah yes....too many notes.

I'm a fan of Robbins too, Hitch. Let's drink tea sometime.

Where were the 'No Countries For Old Mans' or the 'There Will Be Bloods' this year? There weren't any, you say? Well, then all is possible in the land of mediocrity.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button and Frost/Nixon will fill those spots.

And the FAR AND AWAY score is one of Williams' weakest. What's the phrase? Ah yes....too many notes.

Indeed, you exceed that 350 mark, and then the score collapses under its own weight. Unbelievable how often the man does that. I was listening to "The Land Race" the other day, thinking, "My, Johnny, how wasteful you've become! Why are you wasting those notes on one of the finest action cues of your career?"

Two words and a punctuation mark: Heath Ledger?

I think it's a given that he will get nominated, and the more time passes the more likely it seems that he will win.

Two words and a punctuation mark: Heath Ledger?

That's a question mark, Ed! :)

Isn't a question mark a form of punctuation?

My guess is Wall-E will get nominated for best score, seeing as they love to nominate Pixar scores.

I listen to Richard Robbins' music more often than I do John Williams. His score for THE REMAINS OF THE DAY would have won had it not been nominated in the same year as SCHINDLER'S LIST.

I doubt it. That score was not particularly notable in the film, and so far unmemorable on CD.

This has been a pretty horrible year for the movies, hasn't it? I just looked at boxofficemojo's list of 2008 releases and it makes for pretty depressing reading. The only film that's Oscar-worthy is Wall-E. The Dark Knight was highly entertaining, but hardly Best Picture material (if we're being completely honest here). I can see Heath Ledger getting a Best Supporting Actor nomination, but if the film wins Best Picture it will only serve to illustrate how poor the rest of the year's films have been.

Agreed about Dark Knight. Very good movie, but I think vastly overrated, and a little confusing at times. I think Ledger will get a nom, and he deserved it - he did what impresses me most about any actor, and absolutely became his character.

Ther movie should've been called The Joker actually... all Wayne/Batman had to do was stand there and mumble some lines occasionally and look menacing.

TDK will only land a nom for Ledger and some techie categories. There are a few Oscar bait movies yet to be released this year. I'm particularly looking forward to Revolutionary Road.

TDK will only land a nom for Ledger and some techie categories. There are a few Oscar bait movies yet to be released this year. I'm particularly looking forward to Revolutionary Road.

You underestimate it. It will sweep all the techie categories, best director, screenplay, cinematography, etc.

Mr. Conti will be telling again great anecdotes from his great career... :)

Giacchino is conducting the Oscars this year.

Soo....

anyone else think "The Happening" score should be nominated, if just for that haunting main titles music?

And also for "Central Park" and "Be With You."

I wonder who'll get the lifetime achievement award. Perhaps Steven Spielberg?

Marianelli wrote Mirrors. Nothing to write home about though.

Actually, Javier Navarrete wrote Mirrors and Marianelli has just recently finished scoring Joe Wright's (director of Atonement and Pride and Prejudice) The Soloist -- a movie about a homeless cello player I believe. And Marianelli winning last year was the first time the academy got it right in quite some time, IMO.

If Williams is even nominated for KotCS, that will be lucky. It's a painfully mediocre score and doesn't deserve the nomination. I'd say it's perhaps Desplat's time to take home the award if his Curious Cast of Benjamin Button score is any good.

You underestimate it. It will sweep all the techie categories, best director, screenplay, cinematography, etc.

Mmmmm, yes that would be glorious. *contented sigh*

Mmmmm, yes that would be glorious. *contented sigh*

It will happen, definitely cinematography and most likely directing. There really isn't anything that great this year. I wouldn't be surprised if it got a Best Picture nom.

Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Dark Knight, and Revolutionary Road are the ones I predict with sweep a lot of the categories.

I walked out of W. it was so bad. I doubt it will get anything, only dark horse would be Josh Brolin for acting. Miracle At St. Anna looked bad, and it got bad reviews. All it was was Spike Lee being racist.

I'm interested in Valkyrie, but I kinda skeptical about it since all of the Germans are being played by British actors. If Tom Cruise can't pull off a German-accent, don't hire him!

I walked out of W. it was so bad. I doubt it will get anything, only dark horse would be Josh Brolin for acting.

Oh, come on. Why did you think it was that bad? I thought it was a very compelling tour of Dubya's legacy of disgrace.

I'm interested in Valkyrie, but I kinda skeptical about it since all of the Germans are being played by British actors. If Tom Cruise can't pull off a German-accent, don't hire him!

:lol: Ain't that the truth.

What do you think about Milk?

Well considering it's only in 35 theaters in the U.S. and making $1 mill from each one. Yeah, it was sold out. Bethesda Row is a theater like 5 minutes away from me, they always play independent films, limited releases, etc. I'm lucky to have them nearby, because it's great when you want to see something that's not everywhere else. Oh, and whenever there's a new release there, it's always sold out. My friend and I went to get tickets for a 6 o'clock showtime at around 5, and it was sold out all the way until 9pm. Since Bethesda is pretty boring to hang around for 4 hours, we drove over to our usual theater, had some dinner, and saw Madagascar 2 for free.

Anyone else think the track listing/order of the promo CD sent to voters may make all the difference? If it starts with the Raiders March, I bet you it will be overlooked, mainly because of their nervousness about nominating a score against the rules, that is "littered with existing or unoriginal thematic or musical content."

Imagine this:

01. Call of the Crystal

02. The Adventures of Mutt

03. Irina's Theme

04. The Journey to Akator: The Mariachi Band

05. The Snake Pit

06. The Jungle Chase

07. Secret Doors, Scorpions & Ants!

08. Orellana's Cradle & Oxley's Dilemma

09. The Temple Ruins & The Secret Revealed

10. The Departure

11. Finale (and the Raiders March Reprise)

PS: He's missed the very first indicator of the season (13th Annual Satellite Awards by the International Press Academy), although Williams always tends to pull through with the Oscar voters regardless of his performance elsewhere...

Motion Picture, Drama

The Reader

Slumdog Millionaire

Revolutionary Road

Frost/Nixon

Milk

Frozen River

Director

Thomas McCarthy - The Visitor

Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon

Gus Van Sant - Milk

Christopher Nolan - The Dark Knight

Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire

Stephen Daldry - The Reader

Actress In A Motion Picture, Drama

Melissa Leo - Frozen River

Angelina Jolie - Changeling

Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married

Kristin Scott Thomas - I’ve Loved You So Long

Meryl Streep - Doubt

Kate Winslet - The Reader

Actor In A Motion Picture, Drama

Mickey Rourke -The Wrestler

Mark Ruffalo - What Doesn’t Kill You

Richard Jenkins - The Visitor

Frank Langella -Frost/Nixon

Leonardo Dicaprio - Revolutionary Road

Sean Penn - Milk

Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical

Happy-Go-Lucky

Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Tropic Thunder

In Bruges

Choke

Actress In A Supporting Role

Rosemarie DeWitt - Rachel Getting Married

Penelope Cruz - Elegy

Anjelica Huston - Choke

Sophie Okonedo - The Secret Life of Bees

Emma Thompson - Brideshead Revisited

Viola Davis - Doubt

Beyoncé Knowles - Cadillac Records

Actor In A Supporting Role

Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Robert Downey, Jr. - Tropic Thunder

Rade Sherbedgia - Fugitive Pieces

James Franco - Milk

Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

Philip Seymour - Hoffman Doubt

Original Score

David Arnold - Quantum of Solace

Thomas Newman - WALL-E

John Powell - Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!

A.R. Rahman - Slumdog Millionaire

David Hirschfelder - Australia

Danny Elfman - Milk