New Prometheus releases

fommes

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prometheus will finally announce the last two discs, available for order on June 1st at SAE.

They should be a score by single disc score by John Barry and a 2 disc set of a score, considered by film historians to be one of the greatest composed.

a 2 disc set of a score, considered by film historians to be one of the greatest composed.

Film music historians, actually -- although if Herrmann is the composer there'd be much common ground.

Yes, I meant film music historians, sorry.

So, could it really be the moment for a complete Spartacus?

Wouldn't that take up more than just 2 cd's?

My dream release would be Mayuzumi's The Bible

So, could it really be the moment for a complete Spartacus?

I have a feeling that Robert Townson and Varese will be the ones to do Spartacus.

I have a feeling that the 2 disc will be a score from Bernard Herrmann. I believe Jerry Goldsmith, Alex North and Elmer Bernstein were ruled out by Ford himself.

I'm gonna guess the John Barry disc will either be The Deep, Midnight Cowboy or an expanded re-mastered version of The Lion In Winter. Or maybe they found the actual tracks to Raise The Titanic. ;)

The Herrmann will either be Obsession or The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad with one disc being the actual film score and disc 2 the original album.

Are Prometheus releases ONLY sold through SAE or something?

Cause I recently bought the Prometheus Basic Instinct, and I got that from moviemusic...

Yes but thats an older release.... the threads on FSM make it sound like these new Prometheus releases will only be sold at SAE. I dunno, maybe i read the posts wrong

You can't be serious...

Don't call me Sirius!

Besides, 90s scores have no business being in limited edition releases.

That's right - and especially if they're composed by John Frizzell! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was right about one of them:

Complete 7th Voyage Of Sinbad.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12466

The other one is a John Barry score I'm unfamiliar with:

Mike's Murder

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12465

The original track to Sinbad have been a holy grail of mine for 30 years. The original album only features about 35 minutes. The Varese re-recording (Debney conducting) is ok but there are some tempo issues.

I'm very glad for you, Mark, but I will probably just take this opportunity to pick up the rerecording instead.

So is this "7th Voyage of Sinbad" the score that film music historians consider to be one of the greatest ever written?

Yes and you will note "film music historians", not drooling, obssessed fanboys who get upset when it's not what they want or think it should be.

:music:

Now that would be some release teaser!

"Upcoming CD Release Unanimously Considered Greatest Ever by Drooling, Obsessed Fanboys!"

I don't doubt that the film historians love the score. It's 51 years old, which has given them plenty of time to push it to grail status. But I've only seen one of these Harryhausen Sinbad movies, and I don't remember the music. Unless they provide some audio samples to whet my appetite, I'll have to pass.

Those film historians don't know what there talking about

Neither do you alf the time but we tolerate you.

So the 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Mike's Murder are the two new Prometheus releases that FAT had hyped about being the "best of all time" and it took so long to release? How disappointing.

Ford never said the John Barry score was considered the greatest of all time. He said it was one that had never seen any type of release.

The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad is considered by film music historians to be one of the greatest scores composed, and that is what Ford said.

And he would be correct, also the complete score to Sinbad has been something many film score fan have wanted. It's one of Herrmann's finest scores.

Ford did not hype anything, only those that continued to add to the Prometheus thread at FSM drove expectations high, even when Ford explained why there was a delay.

The only disappointment is the typical boorish attitude that prevails at every message board by those who either know too little or expect to always get what they want only.

I wasn't sure about the Barry score but I had a strong feeling 7th Voyage would be the 2 disc release, especially when Ford ruled out Bernstein, Goldsmith and Rozsa being the composers.

I mentioned it a page or so ago and I believe someone over at FSM guessed it correctly as well.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad is tempting, I've liked it since I heard the overture on Kunzel's "Great Fantasy and Adventure Album". I do have the Debney re-recording so I think I'll have to pass for the time being since it's been an incredible hard year on the wallet and the economy is crap and the dollar is expensive, a shame really.

I catched the movie on TCM last saturday, fun movie actually.

The only disappointment is the typical boorish attitude that prevails at every message board by those who either know too little or expect to always get what they want only.

What do you expect, it was written before 1990. :blink:

John- who might pick it up

I think you will like this one.

You should, it's great. BTW is this one limited??

Have we really gotten to the place where we're saying "before 1990" instead of "before 1980"? Yikes.