What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

Haydn's Symphonies Nos. 50, 51 & 52 (Swedish Chamber Orchestra / Bela Drahos, conductor)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek:

Very good! The main theme still sounds a bit Zimmerish in its first two phrases (at least in the first cue) and a bit Hornerish in the final one (especially in "Hella Bar Talk"). I'm not quite sure which theme is Nero's main one, there's about three that could all fit that title I think, but those are probably my favorite new themes. Some great low brass writing. "Enterprising Young Men" is a great cue, Elfmanesque in the beginning, but it sounds very Giacchino by the end. And I like "End Credits," nice use of Courage's theme. I'd probably rank this second in terms of Giacchino scores that I own. One thing that could of been better I think is the orchestra's performance. Particularly in the big brass hits in "Enterprising Young Men..." there seems to be something lacking. 4/5 stars

I think it's less of a performance issue than it is a recording/mixing issue. A lot of people have complained about the CD's weak sound.

I agree with every sentence of your post, indy4. (Except perhaps the second-best-Giacchino-score thing...I DO have all four Lost OSTs to compare it to... :rolleyes:) The main theme is interesting how it's almost half-Zimmer, half-Horner. Works quite well, I think, but the trumpets do sound pretty pathetic in those tutti ostinatos, as you said.

On the whole, the score really does have some MV-ish tendencies, but I like the way Giacchino handled that. That style of scoring is just so popular with audiences these days that it was probably a good decision...but he wisely didn't go overboard with synths or direct rip-offs of real MV cliches. And it's not as if his own style went out the window - the repetitive but strangely delicious motifs and so forth are still there. Anyway, regardless of how we analyze it, at the end of the day, I still would count this as a very good 4-star score, like you. =) And I hope the DVDs don't take too long to come out, since I'd really like to get cracking on a complete soundtrack eventually...

The score piece for Ryan Vs. Dorkman II by Gordy Haab and Kyle Newmaster. I listen to this piece every day sometimes a few times a day, it's fun and I can never tire of it.

Can't say that I am...but I'll consider getting the scores. I'm not exactly the biggest Giacchino fan, but I do enjoy what I have heard from him.

Yeah, I don't own all of his albums or anything, but I really enjoy most of what I've heard. The peculiar thing is...sometimes I really have no fondness for it at first, and then it grows on me immensely. That happened with Lost. I used to think it was simplistic and annoying...now I think it's some of the best television scoring ever done! :rolleyes:

(And if you want to get into the show, the first four seasons are available for free on abc.com in stunning quality...)

The Omen:

A great score, the only Goldsmith score that's better that I've heard is TMP. "Ave Satani" is great, the choir is incredibly effective. A good choice by Goldsmith. Throughout the score the choir really gets a good use. But some of the best moments of the score are those that contain the very disturbing but subtle variation on the love theme--"A Doctor, Please," in particular. That probably the scariest cue in the entire score. The love theme is pretty great, the actual song "Piper's Dream" is okay. 4.5/5 stars

I just noticed something in "Run and Shoot Offense" - at 1:08, the meld motif from "Nice to Meld You" comes back subtly, beneath the erhu. This is when Spock is melding with the unconscious Romulan, right? I'd noticed the erhu stuff, obviously, but this was the first time I noticed the meld motif beneath it. Pretty cool.

Yeah, I only own 4 Giacchino scores, and none of them are to Lost.

The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Star Trek and... Cloverfield?

I think everyone who at the very least enjoys Giacchino's music should listen to Medal Of Honor.

Monsignor by John Williams: What a beautiful score. I remember instantly falling in love with this music when I first heard it years ago and was over joyed when it finally received its official CD release. This score has aged well. It gets better and better with time. Every track is a highlight unto itself.

Monsignor by John Williams: What a beautiful score. I remember instantly falling in love with this music when I first heard it years ago and was over joyed when it finally received its official CD release. This score has aged well. It gets better and better with time. Every track is a highlight unto itself.

I like all Williams scores with this sort of european air. From 'Jane Eyre' to 'Seven Years in Tibet' there is not one i'd trade away.

The Patriot by John Williams: I have say I love this large scale Americana Williams has composed for the score. I would have liked to hear Mark O'Connor more than just in End Credits but the music focuses more on patriotic brassy Americana than folksy tones the violinist composer is known for. And the Love theme is simply gorgeous and very underrated.

Continuing with Americana :music: Sommersby by Danny Elfman

I just noticed something in "Run and Shoot Offense" - at 1:08, the meld motif from "Nice to Meld You" comes back subtly, beneath the erhu. This is when Spock is melding with the unconscious Romulan, right?

Yes

Up - Another solid effort by Giacchino. I enjoyed watching the video clip that came with the download.

I think everyone who at the very least enjoys Giacchino's music should listen to Medal Of Honor.

Incredibles, Ratatouille, Star Trek, and M:i:III. I also own "Roar!" but I didn't count it before.

The Day of the Dolphin - Georges Delerue

Even the atmospheric cues are interesting to listen to, but the real highlight is the main theme written for the score, as heard in "Nocturne". It's absolutely beautiful.

Incredibles, Ratatouille, Star Trek, and M:i:III. I also own "Roar!" but I didn't count it before.

Right. Well I highly highly highly recommend MOH. I don't think one needs to have played the game to appreciate it.

I think I listened to the samples a while ago and they didn't impress me. But I could be wrong. i'll try to listen to them sometime this week again.

It's very good. My pick would also be MoH Airborne. It's more action oriented compared to adventurous original, but offers some extraordinary dramatic cues that you won't find there.

It's excellent, but like Chris said it's darker and more action than really adventure. That was the point really, Giacchino didn't want it to be fun and exciting, he wanted to create a soundscape that made the player feel like they were in real danger.

Airborne is a bit less connected thematically to the previous scores too, but you can also hear Giacchino's maturation as a composer since the early days.

I never said he needed to, but you can definately hear it in the orchestrations. But I suppose someone who's used to having his ears blasted by Zimmer's simplistic drivel might not notice. :P

I'm not quite sure which theme is Nero's main one, there's about three that could all fit that title I think, but those are probably my favorite new themes.

3 themes for Nero? I found 2 and listed them here.

I like all those scores quite a bit, but LOST truly is ever better than them all. Great stuff. The season 4 soundtrack if my favorite score CD I've bought in quite a while

I just noticed something in "Run and Shoot Offense" - at 1:08, the meld motif from "Nice to Meld You" comes back subtly, beneath the erhu. This is when Spock is melding with the unconscious Romulan, right? I'd noticed the erhu stuff, obviously, but this was the first time I noticed the meld motif beneath it. Pretty cool.

I think you're just talking about Spock Prime's theme.... that's been broken down here for a while now

I'm not quite sure which theme is Nero's main one, there's about three that could all fit that title I think, but those are probably my favorite new themes.

3 themes for Nero? I found 2 and listed them here.

Just listened to those, the third theme I was talking about was the one heard at 1:10 of "Enterprising Young Men."

Ah, that's what I refer to as the "Action Theme"...

This discussion should really be continued in that thread, not this one :P

I think you're just talking about Spock Prime's theme.... that's been broken down here for a while now

No, Spock Prime's theme is different. I'm talking about the unique motif that runs through much of "Nice to Meld You," starting at the very beginning, but doesn't make any other appearances on the album (possibly in the whole score) aside from the "Run and Shoot Offense" passage I'm talking about.

Amistad. I received it as a gift and just gave it a first listen - interesting stuff. I suspect it'll grow on me. Some of the string writing in the middle is a little reminiscent of TPM (I guess it should be the other way around!), but not enough for it to bother me. Cinque's theme is similar to a brief passage in Saving Private Ryan (again, I should say it the other way around!), and they both feel slightly related to the main theme to Giacchino's Lost. Anyway, yeah, I think this album will grow on me with future listenings, but I already find it pretty good. It ends nicely, too, which helps.

I just watched the premiere of John Williams' "Soundings (Excerpt)", and I have to say that I loved it. Is it currently released on album, I cannot find it anywhere.

It's unreleased. The only way to listen to it is by watching the video. This "excerpt" is actually the whole piece.

It definitely grew on me. It's one of my favorite dramatic JW scores.

Amistad is terrific. A top-notch dramatic score.

The Mask of Zorro which is basically Willow with some flamenco and guitars on top of it.

True, but it is somewhat corrected in the sequel.

Terminator Salvation by Danny Elfman

I'm really enjoying this score. I liked the clips, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Certainly not like his Planet of the Apes-type of garbage. It has even a theme! Not a very special one, but it goes along with the source material very well. Anything more would have been too much. The best score of the summer so far. I imagine lots of people hating it, but it's a miracle Danny Elfman gets to score this type of film and show everybody how it's done. Even if he does follow some modern trends. Good job!

The Aviator by Howard Shore

One of his strongest. A great album. Pity it's not so glorious in the film.

I Am Legend by James Newton Howard

Great theme, a couple of standout cues. But a great score? I don't think so.

Karol - listening now to Frost/Nixon

I'm really enjoying this score. I liked the clips, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Certainly not like his Planet of the Apes-type of garbage.

'Planet of the Apes' is a-great Elfman. 'T4' is a-standard Elfman sounding like 'Dark Knight' half of the time.

I guess it will be one of those head scratchers, much like those who gave Ben Hur 1 star in the poll we did.

Of course I'm not saying his POTA score is Ben Hur's equal.

True, but it is somewhat corrected in the sequel.

I'm really enjoying this score. I liked the clips, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Certainly not like his Planet of the Apes-type of garbage. It has even a theme! Not a very special one, but it goes along with the source material very well. Anything more would have been too much. The best score of the summer so far. I imagine lots of people hating it, but it's a miracle Danny Elfman gets to score this type of film and show everybody how it's done. Even if he does follow some modern trends. Good job!

It's really good work by Elfman. It's my favourite album of the year so far. Too bad the movie is (said to be) garbage.

I'm really enjoying this score. I liked the clips, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Certainly not like his Planet of the Apes-type of garbage.

'T4' is a-standard Elfman sounding like 'Dark Knight' half of the time.

I hear no similarity.

I don't understand the dislike for Elfman's POTA among the film score community.

I understand the intent to make it sound barbaric and such. It's just I don't really like his "trash can" percussion samples or his electronic stuff, which is mainly what the entire score consists of. The fact that the main theme is train motif from Elfman's Mission: Impossible made the matters even worse.

I might be too harsh though. I haven't listened to POTA in a long time.

Karol

I've listened to "Three Gone" from Bernstein's The Great Escape about four times in a row, and each time, I'm waiting for it to break into something from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Great writing.