What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

GUN

An awesome score for an awesome game. I love the Western genre (maybe because I live in a boring Western film everyday?), and this score is one of the best Western scores I have heard in a long time, it never ceases to place a smile on my face.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992).

Very beautiful and haunting theme for Mothra expressed in new ways compared to the '64 original, and Battra's theme has a different kind of menace about it. Contains my favourite performance of "Appearance of Godzilla". These giant monsters just call out for the leitmotif to emphasize their appearances. So good, it's no wonder Ifukube won a Japanese Academy Award for it.

;)

I need to get my hands on some Ifukube at some point, it sounds right up my alley. I think he was always a big influence on Uemastu, who is of course one of my absolute favorite composers.

GUN

An awesome score for an awesome game. I love the Western genre (maybe because I live in a boring Western film everyday?), and this score is one of the best Western scores I have heard in a long time, it never ceases to place a smile on my face.

;)

Great stuff.

I need to get my hands on some Godzilla scores by Michiru Ôshima, whose music has a lot of grandeur and unity to it. There are even some parts of Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (2002) that sound like variations on the old Warner Bros. logo theme and a whole lot of other Steiner. Perhaps I'll just save up for the Perfect Collection Box 6.

Backdraft.

As a part-time Zimmer defender, I think this is one of his most enjoyable scores. I've only seen parts of the film, but I can imagine the score fitting like a glove, and there's no brainless 'wall of sound' stuff here. And I just read that it's conducted by Shirley Walker :)

Backdraft.

As a part-time Zimmer defender, I think this is one of his most enjoyable scores. I've only seen parts of the film, but I can imagine the score fitting like a glove, and there's no brainless 'wall of sound' stuff here. And I just read that it's conducted by Shirley Walker :)

Ha, I listened to it recently too. Good commentary by Zimmer at the very end too.

As long as the interviews offer something worthwhile I don't mind.

I need to get my hands on some Godzilla scores by Michiru Ôshima, whose music has a lot of grandeur and unity to it. There are even some parts of Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (2002) that sound like variations on the old Warner Bros. logo theme and a whole lot of other Steiner. Perhaps I'll just save up for the Perfect Collection Box 6.

I really enjoy her music.

If it was JW everyone here would. Remastered OST with a 10-minute interview, woooooo!!!

Quit your lamenting on how we don't love Zimmer Koray. And in all honesty if a soundtrack came with just a 10 minute interview with Williams on let's say on Jaws or Star Wars I could skip it if the contents were the same as in the past releases. I mean there are a limited amount of times you can say the same things about these scores.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams

Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris

The Reivers by John Williams: Nostalgic Americana fun

The Cowboys by John Williams: Even more nostalgic Americana/Western fun

I Am Legend by James Newton Howard: I still haven't seen the film but the score is very impressive even with its monothematic approach. It veers towards the sound of a religious epic at times but I guess when you have the story of the last man on Earth then it becomes quite spiritual and ruminating.

Star Trek First Contact by Jerry Goldsmith: This has to be my favourite ST score. I know I know it is crazy to say that when there is the ST:TMP but that's the way it is.

I Am Legend by James Newton Howard: I still haven't seen the film but the score is very impressive even with its monothematic approach. It veers towards the sound of a religious epic at times but I guess when you have the story of the last man on Earth then it becomes quite spiritual and ruminating.

Star Trek First Contact by Jerry Goldsmith: This has to be my favourite ST score. I know I know it is crazy to say that when there is the ST:TMP but that's the way it is.

'I am Legend' could have been a case where a 15/20-minute download release would have been ideal. The theme is great and pieces like 'The Pier' too, but the darker tracks are just a waste of time.

I will never understand what people get out of 'First Contact'. There is nothing in it millions of other Goldsmith scores of this period don't have.

I will never understand what people get out of 'First Contact'. There is nothing in it millions of other Goldsmith scores of this period don't have.

I really do like the main theme, stylistically familiar as it may be.

The main theme aside (which is great in 'First Contact'), the best bits of FC aren't on the CD, namely the scenes with Picard getting his Ahab on. But I agree somewhat as I think the score is overrated.

I really do like the main theme, stylistically familiar as it may be.

Yes the main theme while familiar is much better than the similar ones in his scores in the same time period in my opinion. One that comes to mind is Powder.

And for those who do not understand why First Contact is so popular I can say the same about ST:TMP score. I find it a very good Goldsmith score with many sequences really inspired but over all I do not get any revelation on its apparent greatness even after many listens. I guess we just have to tolerate these "crazy" opinions of other people.

'I am Legend' could have been a case where a 15/20-minute download release would have been ideal. The theme is great and pieces like 'The Pier' too, but the darker tracks are just a waste of time.

I love the whole score to I am Legend - it's projecting the 'world' very well to me. Maybe someone with a slightly less apocalyptic vision for humanity might not appreciate it so much hehe.

I like some of First Contact, especially the theme, but since it's Goldsmith it has some traits that annoy me and prevent complete enjoyment. And who cares if you enjoy it over TMP?

I love the main theme for FC and I get a kick out of the Borg music.

I keep meaning to revisit I AM LEGEND. I was rather put off by the absolutely shocking film it accompanied.

I find it best to forget about certain films that I have the scores to. That way I can just enjoy the music. :down:

I love the main theme for FC and I get a kick out of the Borg music.
I keep meaning to revisit I AM LEGEND. I was rather put off by the absolutely shocking film it accompanied.

I find it best to forget about certain films that I have the scores to. That way I can just enjoy the music. :down:

I usually can, but as a die-hard fan of the book, I have a difficult time with that one.

If it was JW everyone here would. Remastered OST with a 10-minute interview, woooooo!!!

Quit your lamenting on how we don't love Zimmer Koray. And in all honesty if a soundtrack came with just a 10 minute interview with Williams on let's say on Jaws or Star Wars I could skip it if the contents were the same as in the past releases. I mean there are a limited amount of times you can say the same things about these scores.

Easy! Just messin' around. It's the same content, but it is remastered after all. I'd buy that kind of release for an older JW score.

A Beautiful Mind. Wow. Just wow. Nobody can write a better homage to Horner than the man himself. This score has Bicentennial Man written all over it. Without being a huge Horneraholic, I also picked up on the snare drum motif from Apollo 13. A lot of it's really wonderful stuff...but that doesn't mean he's justified in writing it twice.

The Adventures of Robin Hood by Erich Wolfgang Korngold: If there ever was a classic in swashbuckling genre then this is it. It is a rare thing to get to define a musical genre like Korngold did with his opulent, intricate and melodic sound for the heroes of silver screen. The score is absolutely bursting with melodies, themes and musical devices. The style ranges from pomp and pageant to a lyrical love theme and everything in between. And Korngold outlines the action to spot perfection much to the chagrin of the players and to the delight of us swashbuckling fans. One thing in particular that I am fond of in this score is the buoyant spirit that permeates it. I guess you could call it the happy innocence of the genre but Korngold infuses the music with such appropriate humour and positive feel it is delight to listen to from start to finish. The complete Stromberg/Morgan re-recording features great sound and a wonderful performance (plus the usual in-depth liner notes) and the Gerhardt version is not far behind. I could say they both contain something the other could improve upon in some cues.

The Last Starfighter by Craig Safan and Up several times, I think I like it even more than Star Trek.

Yes the main theme while familiar is much better than the similar ones in his scores in the same time period in my opinion. One that comes to mind is Powder.

And for those who do not understand why First Contact is so popular I can say the same about ST:TMP score. I find it a very good Goldsmith score with many sequences really inspired but over all I do not get any revelation on its apparent greatness even after many listens. I guess we just have to tolerate these "crazy" opinions of other people.

The thing is that nobody would deny that the level of musicianship required to bring off something like 'Star Trek 1' is on an altogether different scale than that of the workmanlike rather TV-ish 'First Contact', which has it's fair share of functional stuff...is it just this hymnal tune?

Well I can't argue with that. Goldsmith really poured himself into ST:TMP by all accounts. And certainly it has nothing to do with prefering one over the other.

Just listened to one of the tracks from Meco's 'Impressions of An American Werewolf In London'. Interesting how effortlessly he's able to make Elmer Bernstein sound like Pino Donaggio.

The Adventures of Mark Twain by Max Steiner: Another Golden Age score I have a particular fondness for. Steiner's music has the optimism and starry eyed nostalgia for the America of the past and he mixes a lot of the famous folk tunes and Hollywood ethnic writing into the score to illustrate Twain's travels almost in travelogue manner with appropriate stylings for changing locales which is fun. The main theme for Twain is a simple progression but effective and optimistic and also very malleable and used throughout the score in different guises underscoring his adventures. The love theme has an innocent sweet flavour to it which is very typical of the time period but very enjoyable and receives a few beautifully wistful performances at the end of the score. The performance of the score is strong with Williams Stromberg conducting the Moscow Symphony Orchestra and as per usual the score restoration by John Morgan.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Pretty shit so far. Only one track is on the melodic side so far, and even that's disturbingly cliched and simplistic.

Also found a promo for Newman's The Flintstones. I'll buy this score in a heartbeat if someone like Intrada releases this :lol:

I remember my kids bought me The Flintstones album for my birthday many years ago. The one cue on there was pretty good.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Pretty shit so far. Only one track is on the melodic side so far, and even that's disturbingly cliched and simplistic.

I hear Jablonsky is classically trained... well why doesn't he prove it?

I know, I am so excited for Public Enemies and The Tempest!

I did not even know Goldenthal was going the score for The Tempest. Nor did I know there would be a film version of Tempest either :lol:

But naturally he will score it as it is his wife's film.

I do love Goldenthal's music for its primal energy. That's the word that comes to mind.

EDIT: Just went to IMDB. Looks like they changed Prospero to a woman (Prospera). How typically Taymor. I am sure this will be an intriguing film adaptation.

:P Minority Report

A good portion of RCP is classically trained. I know Ramin Djawadi is, and on that note, a lot of you will be pleased to hear John Debney is scoring Iron Man 2 instead of him.

If I'm not mistaken Debney was supposed to score the first film but......

Land of the Lost by Michael Giacchino: First half of the album noodles around a lot and sounds somewhat like Lost with larger instrumental palette but the ending contains some positively nice tracks. Needs a few more listens before I can form an opinion on it as a whole.

Up by Michael Giacchino

Listened to Star Trek: TMP for the first time, wow... damn good, still I think my favorite Goldsmith score will always be Poltergeist, but now I see what all the hype is about.

Completely unrelated I also listened Band on the Run

Memoirs of a Geisha as I drove home from the Aerosmith show last night. I had trouble staying awake.

Funny you should mention that, I gave Memoirs of a Geisha my first attentive listen last night, and I really enjoyed it. Did you think it was boring, or just so serene and peaceful?

Completely unrelated I also listened Band on the Run

Christopher Lee!!!

Funny you should mention that, I gave Memoirs of a Geisha my first attentive listen last night, and I really enjoyed it. Did you think it was boring, or just so serene and peaceful?

I'll go with the serene and peaceful option. My girlfriend was sleeping so I wanted to put something on that wouldn't wake her.

Memoirs of a Geisha as I drove home from the Aerosmith show last night. I had trouble staying awake.

I don't find the score boring... It is my favorite JW score, so obviously I wouldn't.

Transformers 2 - Pretty crappy and redundant. With more listens, I realize... It's still crappy, but entertaining crap at that.