LOTR Box Set

Maxxie

I saw a LOTR Box Set in HMV today for £29. It included all three scores, and (from what I could see) quite a thick booklet.

Is this the set that has ALL the music in, the one that people keep mentioning?

If it is, I'm quite tempted because I got a HMV Giftcard for Christmas...... :(

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No that should contain the original 70 minute release of each score.

The ones that have the complete scores are not packaged together. Each film seperate.

No that should contain the original 70 minute release of each score.

Thank you! :(

I take it the complete recording sessions set is better then?

Any terrible edits? Then again, I don't know the scores well enough to notice anyway......

Thanks chaps. :)

Just looked at the complete recordings on Amazon. Think I'll have to save a bit first........ :(

Well I kept my original albums because they are quite different at times and if I'm in the mood for LOTR but not the whole thing I can still listen to them.

Well I kept my original albums because they are quite different at times and if I'm in the mood for LOTR but not the whole thing I can still listen to them.

Agreed. I think they're all lovely listens in their own right.

The OST CD's have a few ill-advised edits. The complete recordings don't.

Oh, yes they do. The end credits are padded with needless "suites" of tracked music. They're so jarring that I meticulously edited them out, restoring the album arrangements.

And thats no 'thick booklet' in there, its just a tonne of inferior (to the original) alternate covers.

That said, I think I prefer the OSTs overall, the CRs have a lot of new music, but its just waaay too much.

I prefer the OSTs occasionally when I just want a condensed listen. The funny thing being that I then notice all the stuff that was edited out.

Plus, as has been mentioned, there are a lot of worthwhile alternates which are refreshing to hear. Something I noticed recently was that the FotR OST contains about 20 seconds of music at the end of '.. Prancing Pony' that isn't in the film or on the CR. I think the CDs have their own listening experience as a sort of 'best of' compilation. Almost a bit of nostalgia actually, back to late 2001 listening to it for the first time outside the film and wondering why I couldn't find everything from the 3 hour film on a 75 min CD :blink:

Also, I prefer the choral version of "Helm's Deep" found on TTT OST than the version with the fiddle (?) in "Wolves on Isengard," on the CR.

Contrary to what people say, I really thought TT OST was a great album from start to finish. I understand why it didn't satisfy fans, but I still listen to it more than to CR one. And yes, all three OST's would be still valid purchases. They feel like 3 CD's of alternates.

Karol - who likes both versions of the beackons cue.

I really like the TTT OST. I think it does by far the best presentation of the variety of music and from different parts of the film. I would almost describe the OSTs as you did. Many cues are a different recording to the film version, and some have noticeably different orchestrations.

Not sure which version of the beacons I prefer. The OST is a little 'tidier' in its orchestration and has the major chords, but the film version has the benefit of a more natural build-up from the entire cue in the CR.

It has some, but not all of the battle music.

Thanks. I bet it's the best stuff that's left out, right? :lol:

Not much of it is included. It's got most of the Helm's Deep build-up, and the militaristic elves theme leading into the Uruk-hai march, but then misses out pretty much everything until that elf guy is shot and everyone retreats into the Hornburg. Then of course it ends with Gandalf's spectacular appearance.

Basically, Helm's Deep is represented only by The Hornburg and Forth Eorlingas (in addition to the arrival in Helm's Deep). But all the other tracks have a very varied representation of the score.

The Complete Recordings are amazing, i was listening to the Two Towers one last night, its far superior to the OST versions.

Also i love it when Maxxie posts, because i get to see Mitch! :wave:

Well, the "Music of The Lord of the Rings" book by Adams, plus the Rarities disc is still coming out, right? That's supposed to have all the alternate takes, cues, etc. That may well render the OSTs obsolete except for nostalgia purposes/listening experience.

Well, depends whether they consider stuff on the OST rarities.

I think the rarities are going to be geared very much towards radically alternate approaches Shore recorded for many scenes - we've already heard a glimpse of one of these in an FSM podcast - but I'm hoping for all the major theatrical alternates from RotK (uninterrupted Cirith Ungol fanfare, shorter 'shieldmaiden' sequence, alternate 'gondor theme' section of Last Debate) above anything else. They're all available from the BFME game but it'd be nice to have them legitimately.

I'd also love a few areas where scenes were tracked with partial mixes (first part of A Far Green Country) or more downbeat orchestrations, but I don't think that'll happen somehow, and DVD rips will satisfy me anyway.

Depends how far they're going with the project, but Doug Adams has mentioned that the rarities are being separated from the book because of an apparently huge amount of unused music, so Shore must've rewritten a heck of a lot.

alternate 'gondor theme' section of Last Debate

That's one thing I really want, as well as the theatrical version of the last bit of 'Shieldmaiden of Rohan' (assuming it's actually part of that cue, might not be) with the really heroic Gondor phrase as Aragorn and co go nuts.

Depends how far they're going with the project, but Doug Adams has mentioned that the rarities are being separated from the book because of an apparently huge amount of unused music, so Shore must've rewritten a heck of a lot.

I thought he said the music label wanted to release it sepparately.

I'd like to add that I also enjoy the silva rerecordings of the LOTR music very much

I'm gonna go with the 70min scores I think. I don't know the scores very well, and I think the CRs would simply be too much music for me! :lol:

Yeah the Silva re-recordings are much better than average IMO. Some of the 'heavier' cues do struggle slightly to be really big I think, but I still like them as refreshing alternates. The instrumental versions of all the songs are quite good too.

As a Christmas present to myself last year, I bought the complete recordings of FOTR, and ROTK (couldn't get TT's, will have to wait). As someone who is not too familiar with the music of Howard Shore-"The Fly" is good, as is "Se7en"; "Ed. Wood" sounds too much like Elfman, which is probably what Tim Burton wanted-I thought I'd take the plunge, and I have been very pleasantly surprised with the results. As somone who likes to listen to music in 5.1/6.1, I am especially taken with the surround-sound mixes, and I would thoroughly recommend all three box-sets. Be warned, though, they are not cheap, costing between £50, and £60 for each set.

I've noticed that TTT seems to be the hardest to get hold of. Does this film have the best/most exciting cues or something?

Very bizarre.

I remember coming out of the cinema and thinking, "wow, that music was great" in TTT, but yet not with the others. Maybe I just took more notice in that one for some reason. :lol:

I'd consider Two Towers the least accessible, given its darker tone and more sequences where not very much happens, so I'm surprised it's your favourite Koray.

I've just looked at both Amazon sites and Play, and it seems Fellowship is the only one available at the moment.

Talking of availability, I just remembered that when in HMV in Brighton a few weeks ago, I was browsing the actually very good soundtrack section, and found two copies of the Indy box! I really hope they sell.

Well if you do not know the LotR scores very well or have a very sizeable wallet to buy all the CRs I would recommend the 3 OSTs box for starters. Then if you find that you have a taste for more LotR music then go for the CRs.

OSTs do contain alternates that are not on the CRs for the reason that they are either early versions of cues that were replaced later in the scoring process or they are Theatrical cut versions. The Complete Recordings boxes contain the Extended Edition versions of the music which means that some of the cues are lengthened and altered compared to the Theatrical versions or the theatrical version is missing altogether.

Others in this thread have mentioned the Prochecy from FotR as one example of an radically different alternate take on the Prologue and there are these alternates on all 3 OSTs. Either because Shore condensed some cues for the album release or created kind of tone poems or suites of thematic material on the OSTs the CRs offer a vastly different listening experience. And in the process of trimming hours of music to a 70 minute album some highlights are obviously missing from all 3 OSTs. E.g. one drawback of the FotR album is the strange absence of the History of the Ring theme outside a single rendition although that theme is central to the whole saga.

So if you are not a die hard fan go for the OSTs, if you love all the music from LotR films to bits CRs are the way to go :rolleyes: Best scenario is to get both. ;)

Well if you do not know the LotR scores very well or have a very sizeable wallet to buy all the CRs I would recommend the 3 OSTs box for starters. Then if you find that you have a taste for more LotR music then go for the CRs.

OSTs do contain alternates that are not on the CRs for the reason that they are either early versions of cues that were replaced later in the scoring process or they are Theatrical cut versions. The Complete Recordings boxes contain the Extended Edition versions of the music which means that some of the cues are lengthened and altered compared to the Theatrical versions or the theatrical version is missing altogether.

Others in this thread have mentioned the Prochecy from FotR as one example of an radically different alternate take on the Prologue and there are these alternates on all 3 OSTs. Either because Shore condensed some cues for the album release or created kind of tone poems or suites of thematic material on the OSTs the CRs offer a vastly different listening experience. And in the process of trimming hours of music to a 70 minute album some highlights are obviously missing from all 3 OSTs. E.g. one drawback of the FotR album is the strange absence of the History of the Ring theme outside a single rendition although that theme is central to the whole saga.

So if you are not a die hard fan go for the OSTs, if you love all the music from LotR films to bits CRs are the way to go :D Best scenario is to get both. :P

Thanks! :)