What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Bates Motel, Episode 3

I remember when I first heard of this series, and how I thought it was going to be utter trash. I mean on paper, this show should not be able to work. And yet, it does. The season began a bit conflicting in tone, but the opening pilot had me more hooked than Under the Dome. The show excels under the strength of the lead, Freddie Highmore (playing Norman Bates) and Vera Farmiga as the mother (she's great). The show is certainly not perfect, but it's entertaining stuff.

Heard nothing but great things about Bates Motel, it's on our To Watch List after we're caught up on The Killing and True Blood, assuming we're not behind on Dexter and Under The Dome by then.

I'm enjoying it more than Dexter and Under the Dome. With each episode, I'm more impressed by how entertaining the show really is.

Watched first two episodes of House of Cards. Maybe a bit too lean and smooth direction-wise for my liking, but definitely watchable. Kevin Spacey is great in this, pity Jeff Beal doesn't seem to trust audience's intelligence and be present every fucking minute. I'll be skipping Hannibal and sticking to this.

At least for the 35 days when Breaking Bad comes back to grace my screen, that is. ;)

Karol

Heard nothing but great things about Bates Motel, it's on our To Watch List after we're caught up on The Killing and True Blood, assuming we're not behind on Dexter and Under The Dome by then.

it was uninteresting. we tried watching it but it's modernization felt wrong. after a few episodes it just never clicked. Now had it been a period piece...

There were some moments where things felt off, but the cast really helps carry the show. I look forward to the next season and where they'll take the Bates family next.

I don't deny that. But Freddie Highmore surprised me and pulled it off quite well. It's a different story being told here, one that leads to the same conclusion and I can live with that.

I love the little things they do to pay homage to the classic though. :)

it was uninteresting. we tried watching it but it's modernization felt wrong. after a few episodes it just never clicked. Now had it been a period piece...

I found the scenes setting up Norman and his mother flat and predictable - acted as scripted. Typical current tv standard which is totally wrong for a baroque nugget like PSYCHO.

If they only had tried something along the lines of Jessica Lange in AMERICAN HORROR STORY...

There is only one Norman Bates!

Henry Thomas is too old for the character now.

There is one little bit of Under the Dome that bugged the hell out of me,

It's really small and inconsequencial but still.

There were several scenes in the show that you could see spanish moss hanging from the trees.

I know the show wasn't filmmed in Maine, it's filmed in North Carolina but still it's one of those things. Like in the original True Grit, seeing snow capped mountains when the story is in Arkansas, or in Mr. Brooks when the film takes place in Oregon but you can clearly see Palm trees.

Under The Dome 1x03 Manhunt

This show is really dragging now. I mean what REALLY happened in this episode? Nothing. Sure, we learned there's no way out under the dome through the cement factory, 2 more people had the "seeing stars" seizures, and the deputy girl was asked to be the new sheriff - but over I just feel like the show is dragging. Beginning to think this would have worked better as a 4 or 6 part miniseries - At 13 episodes I think this is REALLY going to drag.

I was intrigued by the propane mystery at first, but now 3 episodes in and there's been no more development on it, I am losing interest.

The only thing which irritated me was the dreadful psycho boyfriend subplot with that terrible actor.

Yes, easily the weakest storyline of the show. I actually don't like the acting of Junior or the girl he has captured, and don't get why 3 episodes later she's still in the bunker. Lets move it along! Doesn't this girl have parents looking for her?

This show is really dragging now. I mean what REALLY happened in this episode? Nothing. Sure, we learned there's no way out under the dome through the cement factory, 2 more people had the "seeing stars" seizures, and the deputy girl was asked to be the new sheriff - but over I just feel like the show is dragging. Beginning to think this would have worked better as a 4 or 6 part miniseries - At 13 episodes I think this is REALLY going to drag.

I was intrigued by the propane mystery at first, but now 3 episodes in and there's been no more development on it, I am losing interest.

without trying to give anything away, if you're under a dome with that much propane with a very limited supply of oxygen, see where I am going.

I'm just saying I don't enjoy the way the show is slowly handling the reveal of it, that story and others need to move quicker.

Now certainly there have been a many great shows where not much happens in any given episode, but the great writing of the characters make it worth it, because when stuff does happens it's that much more rewarding when the characters are richly developed.

But this show isn't exactly brimming with rich, engaging characters.

Jr was handled much different in the book, he wasn't a model, and he was a killer and necropheliac which he is not on the show.

The only thing which irritated me was the dreadful psycho boyfriend subplot with that terrible actor.

Yes, easily the weakest storyline of the show. I actually don't like the acting of Junior or the girl he has captured, and don't get why 3 episodes later she's still in the bunker. Lets move it along! Doesn't this girl have parents looking for her?

If I recall, her parents are stuck outside of the dome. I've only watched the first two eps and I'm hoping the show will pick up more momentum soon.

I've got two episodes left. It's good. Not amazing or groundbreaking (certainly not up there with some other series). But enjoyable.

Karol

Game Of Thrones season 1

Starts of very slowly for the first few eps. Lots of characters, motivations, plot lines to introduce so it gets a bit confusing at times.

But it slowly reels you in that way.

Fav character is probably Thyrion the Imp. He reminds be of Gaius Baltar from BSG, trying to survive, living by his own judgement. Daenerys is quite a character too.

The series plays very nicely of the North/South stereotypes as you see them in England. With Northerners being harder men, but true. And the Southerners engaged in backstabbing and political intrigue.

The music is a disappointment. It's so unimaginative. It all sounds the same. Drums in the background, with either a cello, some low brass or a random ethnic instrument playing. There might be a few themes, but they don't really stand out.

The look of the series is brilliant through. It's is quite an age we are living in. TV series can have the look and feel of a motion picture. No wonder that fewer of us go to the cinema. No wonder Hollywood tries to go ever bigger and more gaudy to try and get us back.

But a TV show has the benefit of time, time to build characters, intrigue, storylines. I mean in 10 hours, so much happened, yet it's all been building to a climax that still seems so far away.

I am longer for the war proper to start, to see Daenerys cross the narrow sea, to see what is behind the wall....but not all at once, not any-time soon.

Enjoying the ride.

Anyone else been watching Bates Motel? It has an intentional mix of Psycho and Twin Peaks, with far fetched plots that create a back story for Norman Bates that Robert Bloch and Alfred Hitchcock would have probably thought as superfluous and unnecessary. But I reckon Joseph Stefano, who penned Psycho IV wouldn't have minded it.

Season 2 seem to drag a wee bit more. So many potential kings preparing for war. More preparing....and yet more, but LESS of the storylines of Daenerys across the Narrow Sea, and John Snow behind the Wall in the North.

The battle, when it does finally come is amazing though! Especially the wildfire.

It's basically Helms Deep on TV!

Lena Headey is allowed to give her Cercei some more dimension. (Remains a bitch though).

Peter Dinklage somehow becomes totally believable as a warrior. And when he finally weeps, you feel it.

Rob Starke as a character isnt as interesting as Ned. And Theon's story didnt interest me that much.

The Arya story is much better, love how she is turning into a little killer.

Sansa turns from a silly, naive girl to someone you worry for.

King Joffrey is an irredeamable little shit!

The show seems to have a gimmick of every time a supporting character has a big monologue he is killed right after....

Music is still very generic. It functions. But i never found myself surprised by the musical choices.

Imagine what a better TV composer could do? Mark Snow for example.

Season two starts out with a lot of nudity and sex, a bit too much maybe, but slowly seems to scale it back a bit.....and you start to miss it.

Some of it is funtional, some of it done for effect. (A whore having seemed whiped from her mouth before kissing her next client)

Carice van Houten giving birth to an assasin ghost monster was hot and perverted as hell though!

Don't get me started on the bloody sex! (I've already said it all in the other thread).

For me, apart from the huge and jaw dropping explosion, the siege of Kings Landing was a low point of the season - showing up the TV roots and budget limitations more than ever. It reminded me of Doctor Who, the fx and scale of it. Because of that I felt it lacked emotional punch. But that's just me.

Lee, you seen to consider Doctor Who as cheapo TV still? This isn't the 80's you know....

As fot Helms deep versus Kings Landing. One was like a 4 months shoot, the other 2 weeks. Ofcourse there are scale differences. But it still involved hundreds of extra's and a lot of stunts and pyrotechnics.

I actually re,inded me of Braveheart. You know. A film made before the Massive software. Where a battle was staged with real people, so you could not get 10.000 avatars on the screen.

Also I loved Thyrion here. He basically holds the city till his father arrives, and then loses everything (apart from his wench).

If you want a fast moving story, you won't find it here, Stefan.

Oh I love the way things unfold slowly. I mean it took basically 18 episodes to get to the first proper battle. And the Starks weren't even involved yet.

But season two did lack a bit of variety. And I suppose a central character. A moral centre. Season one had Ned.

Don't get me started on the bloody sex! (I've already said it all in the other thread).

I guess some of it is more functional then it seems. Theon's shagging, or trying to shag every girl he sees clearly shows his weakness lack of focus.

Some scenes in the brothel were just window dressing though.

It's actually fun to have a well written, well acted, well produced show that doesn't hesitate to show some clunge for no proper dramatic reason at all

Music is still very generic. It functions. But i never found myself surprised by the musical choices.

Imagine what a better TV composer could do? Mark Snow for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmJzkh-otRI

I say bring on season 3! :) starting tonight.

I would say it's very good. Takes a while to get going in season one, but when it does it doesnt let you go.

It reminds me a bit of BSG, but that show really suffered from the writers showing a sudden plot twist or total change of direction in our faces just for the sake of shocking the viewer.

I hear lost pulled the same trick a few times. Season 6 of Doctor Who was also ruined by that. Writers/producers feel like they need to change the game for us every few eps.

The characters in GoT also go through sudden twists, but those feel more like they are adapting to their chanced circumstances. It feels better thought out. I guess that's the advantage of having a book series to follow.

It's actually fun to have a well written, well acted, well produced show that doesn't hesitate to show some clunge for no proper dramatic reason at all

Really? I think it's risible and worse than anything, boring.

Lee, you seem to consider Doctor Who as cheapo TV still? This isn't the 80's you know....

I know the BBC spend a few quid on it, but I'm sorry, it still looks every bit British tv sci-fi to me, still looks a bit quaint. The siege of KL was an admirable effort, but I wish they'd just jettisoned the whole Qarth sidequest and instead put the vast amount of saved resources into making that supposedly monumental siege look a little bit more like Helms Deep and less like The Battle of Bywater.

But that was then, last year when I watched it. A small gripe which I elaborated on then but have pretty much forgotten about now.

Doctor Who had a weird look in the first few series since 2005. BBC was shooting on video and using software to make it look like it was film. So it looked "off".

But after series 4 they went full-HD, and it's looks much better.

Really? I think it's risible and worse than anything, boring.

Don't listen to him, Stefan. Quint is moaning because he's married!

;)

Karol - who enjoys a good clunge every now and then