Rare rare rare The Next Generation Star Trek Music!

BLUMENKOHL

Hi! How are you?

Have you ever tried to do a service for people at JWFan? Yes? Have you noticed how no good dead goes unpunished?

I have. So from now on, anything cool and legitimate I find online, I'll just PM it to people I think will actually appreciate it, instead of dissecting its (clearly) legal merits.

- Love,

Blume N. Kohl

P.S. My sincerest regards to the JW-Fan self-proclaimed copyright militia of the day: Vaderbait1.

Uh oh. Unreleased music discussion?

Proving that a random forummer can question the merits of battle-hardened Hollywood agents and lawyers. These professional people might say "Hey [insert composer name]! Putting these samples up on your professional site is completely legal and we have the right to do it!" but Vaderbait, he knows better.

Round of applause please.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, I was just listening to my promo Starfleet Academy disc...and he wrote some marvelous music for that. Back in '97 when I first got the promo from Interplay I always sort of attached it to any pre-Kirk/Academy/Young Crew storyline...so Giacchino is gonna have to beat Ron Jones in my eyes.

It's a shame Ron Jones never got the chance to score one of the Next Gen films.

Well, you know that master of musical logic, Rick Berman, would never had let someone whose music was so "identifiable" to score Star Trek ever again.

That's the site re-design from a few weeks back. Also some unreleased stuff from "Family Guy" and "Ducktales". I saved he previous samples from his old site thankfully, as not all of them are on the new one. At least I haven't foudn them yet.

Well, you know that master of musical logic, Rick Berman, would never had let someone whose music was so "identifiable" to score Star Trek ever again.

I don't know, I think hiring Jerry Goldsmith was a pretty solid choice.

I guess I should mention that there's a track titled "Foot Sex."

Yes, I'm wondering what ep that was from. ;)

I'd rather have had more McCarthy film scores than a Jones one. Although Jerry's are perfectly fine, of course.

Maybe for the films he gave Goldsmith more freedom but from what's been said he had a tight rein on the composers for the TV series.

That's because Jerry Goldsmith said my way or the highway buddy. And with Berman's reputation amongst the music industry in addition to the budget limitations...he went Jerry's way.

No, this should be sanctioned because it's the personal website of a composer who is providing music of his choosing at his website purely to stream and listen to. If the studios had not permitted this, it would not have happened. Technically, there is no download button and therefore no mass distribution.

No, this should be sanctioned because it's the personal website of a composer who is providing music of his choosing at his website purely to stream and listen to. If the studios had not permitted this, it would not have happened. Technically, there is no download button and therefore no mass distribution.

Who cares if there is a download option? It is not an officially released (thus the term unreleased) product and therefore is somehow detrimental to Big Music. And since it is not available on an album, it does not exist, capiche?

No, this should be sanctioned because it's the personal website of a composer who is providing music of his choosing at his website purely to stream and listen to. If the studios had not permitted this, it would not have happened.

Either that, or Ron Jones is the next Gabriel Yared.

Who cares if there is a download option? It is not an officially released (thus the term unreleased) product and therefore is somehow detrimental to Big Music. And since it is not available on an album, it does not exist, capiche?

You know a little common sense never hurt.

How is detrimental to big music? Four of the cues that Jones offers are from The Best of Both Worlds, which is a commercial album that he links to at Amazon if you want to go buy it. There's not that many TNG score albums available, and that's virtually the only way to get any Ron Jones material on album as score. I would sell half of the scores I own to be able to buy a Ron Jones album of Duck Tales music!

Oh for f*cks sake.

I'll just remove the link. It is completely kosher, legal, legitimate, halal, sanctified, etc. etc., but you know what?

Some of you people don't deserve it.

I very much like Ron Jones' music for Star Trek The Next Generation. It's too bad that GNP couldn't release more music from TNG, DS9 and Voyager. There's a lot of great music from those series by McCarthy, Jones, and Chattaway.

Oh for f*cks sake.

I'll just remove the link. It is completely kosher, legal, legitimate, halal, sanctified, etc. etc., but you know what?

Some of you people don't deserve it.

Man, sometimes you really make me think of a little baby that's just had its bottle knocked to the ground.

Sweet! Awesome find. Thanks for the link!

Ha ha! :blink: Even this was edited!

:P

BTW, Blumenkohl, I do appreciate your posting about this, so should you find something else cool in the future, feel free to add me to that PM list. :lol:

Actually, I have no complaints about the site. Legal? That's another question. Doesn't matter whether it's his site and music he composed, bur rather who owns the rights and if they gave permission for him to post these things. Paramount got on to Mark McKenzie after posting cues from his "Enterprise" episode score, which then were taken down and replaced with a suite (which ronically contained some mroe score not in the cues originally posted).

Unless Paramount has had a change of heart about Star Trek music...

Man, sometimes you really make me think of a little baby that's just had its bottle knocked to the ground.

No, um, that would...me. C'mon, Blume, we can look for our bottles together. My poison's whiskey, what's yours? ROTFLMAO

And for the record, I did appreciate the find. And I really like Firefox and its DownloadHelper.

He hired Goldsmith because he knew they were in serious trouble of having the TNG movies not fly. It was a smart move.

And, yeah, Berman did keep a really tight reign on the composers of the TV series.

How is detrimental to big music? Four of the cues that Jones offers are from The Best of Both Worlds, which is a commercial album that he links to at Amazon if you want to go buy it. There's not that many TNG score albums available, and that's virtually the only way to get any Ron Jones material on album as score. I would sell half of the scores I own to be able to buy a Ron Jones album of Duck Tales music!

It's not detrimental.

Apparently it wasn't obvious enough that I was making fun of the new ban on mentioning anything not officially released.

Apparently it wasn't obvious enough that I was making fun of the new ban on mentioning anything not officially released.

It couldn't have been more obvious. How did anyone take it seriously?

Whoa! DuckTales music FTW! In the show itself, it kind of grates, since they repeat the same stock cues over and over again, but those stock cues were still pretty sweet. Hooray for Ron Jones.

• 2 weeks later...

That's actually a spin on Ron Jones' own score to the Star Trek The Next Gen episode Best Of Both Worlds Part I.

On a side not, Lukas Kendall of FSM mentioned he ruined the first take of the cue. He was at the Family Guy scoring sessions and had a fit of laughter when they began playing it.