Are you a fan of Coldplay?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of Coldplay?

• Yes!
    • They're good but not great
    • I don't care a lot about them
    • No.
    • I am not familiar with their music

They are quite a hype at the moment I think. Are you a fan of Coldplay? Please explain why if possible.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we have a Coldplay thread about 6 months ago? Either that or I'm starting to get my message boards mixed up.

I don't care about them.

Didn't we have a Coldplay thread about 6 months ago? Either that or I'm starting to get my message boards mixed up.

I don't care about them.

I am sorry Mark you might be correct. I haven't checked for previous threads.

I am sorry Mark you might be correct. I haven't checked for previous threads.

No need to apologize.

It's not like this is the same redundant polls that seem to keep popping up every 2 months or so. :o

That turned into the official pop music thread. So I think this one here is valid.

I think they're really good. I didn't really know them until January, when I got the latest album and ended up playing it over and over again. I then got A Rush of Blood to the Head, which I'd rank "great", being full of mostly highlights from beginning to end. The first two albums contain some gems, too (Yellow and 'til Kingdom Come in particular), but don't seem that memorable overall.

I'll gladly buy their next album whenever that comes out.

I didn't used to be a fan, but I really took to their last album. I'm a great believer in their ability as musicians and as brilliant melodists, but Chris Martin's voice often spoils the music. The instrumental of Fix You is sublime, better without his warbling over it.

That's a weird comparison. Donner's movies have had some of Hollywood's finest working on them (John Barry, John Williams, Stuart Baird, Jerry Goldsmith, Spielberg), which have been defining factors in the quality of his movies. Unless I'm mistaken, Coldplay haven't had that kind of luxury (and if they have, it's still come out mediocre. Then again, if I was married to Gwyneth Paltrow, music would probably be the last thing on my mind).

They are too earnest.

Once upon a time you went to a rock concert to enjoy yourselg, get drunk, vornicate, listen to loud music and see the lead singer bite the head of a bat.

Coldplay advertises Fairtrade products during concerts.......

Nuff said!

They're good but not great. They've made a few songs that I really enjoy, though.

Meh - at least they're not peddling hipster music or hip-hop garbage.

I'm more of the Bjork/Radiohead persuasion when it comes to non-orchestral music.

I've heard some of their stuff, but I don't own anything they've sold. Good for a one time listen on the radio in the car.

Our show choir did Viva La Vida for their production this year. Eh.....

No, because it doesn't connect with me in any way. Sometimes I find it to be annoying, mainly because of the lead singer's vocal timbre.

I'd actually rather listen to Lady GaGa on the radio, which doesn't connect with me in any way except in the same way chewing a stick of bubble gum does. I guess I like bubble gum pop, 80's songs, 50's songs, Elvis, Sinatra, etc. more than any serious popular artists. In fact, any attempt at profundity in pop falls flat on my ears. I can really only feel profoundly for pure sound, without some person wailing away some poem in my ear.

No, because it doesn't connect with me in any way. Sometimes I find it to be annoying, mainly because of the lead singer's vocal timbre.

I'd actually rather listen to Lady GaGa on the radio, which doesn't connect with me in any way except in the same way chewing a stick of bubble gum does. I guess I like bubble gum pop, 80's songs, 50's songs, Elvis, Sinatra, etc. more than any serious popular artists. In fact, any attempt at profundity in pop falls flat on my ears. I can really only feel profoundly for pure sound, without some person wailing away some poem in my ear.

I agree. Back then the songs were much more musical and artistic. Nowadays it's often overproduced artificial noise played fortissimo all the way.

Maybe you guys should look for more music?

I mean, it's hard when bands like Coldplay are held up as greats, but there's still a lot of good stuff out there. However, Jeshopk, I believe you are holding songs up to a standard they cannot possibly meet.

I can really only feel profoundly for pure sound, without some person wailing away some poem in my ear.

That suggests to me you have never heard some Rolling Stones, or Billie Holiday, or Johnny Cash, or Bob Dylan, or any number of great artists who are able to do that.

Maybe you guys should look for more music?

I mean, it's hard when bands like Coldplay are held up as greats, but there's still a lot of good stuff out there. However, Jeshopk, I believe you are holding songs up to a standard they cannot possibly meet.

I can really only feel profoundly for pure sound, without some person wailing away some poem in my ear.

That suggests to me you have never heard some Rolling Stones, or Billie Holiday, or Johnny Cash, or Bob Dylan, or any number of great artists who are able to do that.

Yeah, I have heard all of those guys. Believe it or not, the Stones and Bob Dylan are not universally beloved. I like Johnny Cash, but not as much as any of my favorite instrumental music, and don't really like the other three. Maybe it has something to do with never really having a phase where I stopped listening to orchestral music. One of my earliest memories is the Close Encounters score making me cry, and I have always been drawn to instrumental programmatic music. Music that describes with sound and not lyrics, dancing, fashion or zeitgeist.

The non instrumental music that strikes me are particularly descriptive with their music, to the point that the lyrics are optional. Mostly older songs, I suppose, but I always have an open ear.

Really like them.

Chris isn't the greatest singer and he finds it hard to keep his tone and key during live gigs but he's a terrific showman. Will the drummer is one of the best percussionists out there.

Viva La Vida is such a legendary song, Fix You and Glass Of Water are up there as some favourites too.

Brian Eno did a great job producing the last album and apparently everybody going to their concerts this year will get a free copy of their brand new album - now that's something that very few artists in their league would do, so kudos to them.

Viva La Vida is such a legendary song,

It's barely a year old. I thoght legends took a bit longer to form.

Brian Eno did a great job producing the last album and apparently everybody going to their concerts this year will get a free copy of their brand new album -

Manufactured from Fairtrade, morning-dew Wheatgrass, and organically fertilized soy, no doubt...

The non instrumental music that strikes me are particularly descriptive with their music, to the point that the lyrics are optional. Mostly older songs, I suppose, but I always have an open ear.

What about opera?

Viva La Vida is such a legendary song,

It's barely a year old. I thoght legends took a bit longer to form.

Brian Eno did a great job producing the last album and apparently everybody going to their concerts this year will get a free copy of their brand new album -

Manufactured from Fairtrade, morning-dew Wheatgrass, and organically fertilized soy, no doubt...

You cynic you! :)

Re Viva La Vida, that's the beauty of the song though. Very few songs really caught the nation (UK & Ireland anyway) so much like that one and its anthematic structure with bells, orchestration and chorus commands that sort of importance.

What about opera?

I mainly find the vocals to be distracting and annoying, except for some of the most poignant pieces. I would buy the full Ring cycle without words, but wouldn't bother with the full version with soloists. I'd LOVE to listen to Strauss' Salome without the vocals.

But a good opera loses (random number) 60% of context and meaning without the lyrics. Some of Strauss' libretti in particular are amazing (and incidentally, he deals with the question whether the music or the lyrics are more important in his last one). The orchestral version of the Ring are nice, but even musically they're a very rough condensation of the originals (except those that were purely musical in the opera to begin with, obviously).

What about opera?

I mainly find the vocals to be distracting and annoying, except for some of the most poignant pieces. I would buy the full Ring cycle without words, but wouldn't bother with the full version with soloists. I'd LOVE to listen to Strauss' Salome without the vocals.

But the human voice is the most versatile, personal and immidiate musical instrument there is.

Not the mention the very first.

To just dismiss it outright reeks of musical elitism!

I wouldn't turn it off if it came up on the radio.

I enjoy all music. And I'd put the stuff from Coldplay on the higher end of the all kinds of music scale.

I can't listen to Polka. Can't do that one.

But the human voice is the most versatile, personal and immidiate musical instrument there is.

Not the mention the very first.

To just dismiss it outright reeks of musical elitism!

Jesse doesn't like anything, Steef. :)

vornicate

Is that some strange comination of vomiting and fornication?

I thought it was a Star Trek thing.

And no, I am not familiar with Coldplay. I don't follow popular music -- or rather, the only type I do follow is film music.

-- J Dan, who can't stand opera.

I don't follow popular music -- or rather, the only type I do follow is film music.

I'd encourage you to branch out (not necessarily pop music), you'd be surprised what you may find.

But a good opera loses (random number) 60% of context and meaning without the lyrics. Some of Strauss' libretti in particular are amazing (and incidentally, he deals with the question whether the music or the lyrics are more important in his last one). The orchestral version of the Ring are nice, but even musically they're a very rough condensation of the originals (except those that were purely musical in the opera to begin with, obviously).

If I was alive during the 19th century, it might just be my preferred form of entertainment, but I am spoiled by films, which are the ultimate gesamtkunstwerk. I don't speak the language of most of the great Operas anyway. I have studied some of them along with the libretti, but I mainly had interest in the orchestral aspect. Some of Mozart's Operas are basically the broadway musicals of the time, with their lighthearted situation romance comedy. I appreciate the combination of literature, drama and music in Opera, but I like how it is done in film much more.

I don't follow popular music -- or rather, the only type I do follow is film music.

I'd encourage you to branch out (not necessarily pop music), you'd be surprised what you may find.

Well, I didn't say I don't enjoy anything beyond film music. I just don't actively follow anything else. Before "discovering" soundtracks I used to be a big classic rock / oldies fan. But the thing about film music is that it encompasses so many different genres you actually do get a fairly wide range of exposure. (Classical, jazz, new age, all types of ethnic, etc.)

I don't doubt there is much out there I could enjoy, but with limited time and resources I've chosen to focus on my biggest enjoyment; the epic symphonic film score.

Coldplay had one good song: Clocks. And every other good song just borrowed that sound.

People touted them as the greatest pop/rock band around, which isn't really fair because there aren't as many good ones in existence as there used to be. The whole genre is tired. Even the artists who have persisted since the 70s and 80s and early 90s aren't making as much good stuff.

But calling Coldplay the next U2 is like calling Jet the next AC/DC. And even U2 wasn't that great to begin with.

Next one hit wonder, please.

Coldplay had one good song: Clocks. And every other good song just borrowed that sound.

[...]

Given Coldplay's continued success, they can hardly be considered a "one hit wonder." By the way, their first hit single, "Yellow," is none too shabby, either.

I enjoy all music.

I can't listen to Polka. Can't do that one.

I was about to say, no one can like/enjoy ALL music.

I only like classic rock and film music. But I can stand a lot of other music, like classical, some alternative, pop, etc. Some of which I do really like. The only music I can't stand in its entirety is metal... and I guess polka, though I've never really thought of that until you brought it up.

[...]

Given Coldplay's continued success, they can hardly be considered a "one hit wonder." By the way, their first hit single, "Yellow," is none too shabby, either.

Agreed. And 'til Kingdom Come doesn't sound anything like Clocks.

(But then, Mike Oldfield is generally considered a one hit wonder, too)

People touted them as the greatest pop/rock band around, which isn't really fair because there aren't as many good ones in existence as there used to be. The whole genre is tired. Even the artists who have persisted since the 70s and 80s and early 90s aren't making as much good stuff.

My current favourite are Muse.