What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mystic River

I can't believe I went this long without watching it. It has to have been at least a few years since my last viewing. My only problem is that it's severely over-scored in two scenes. When Sean Penn is being held back by the police, I think it ruins what could have been much more, and it's pretty amazing the way it is. The other scene if I remember correctly is when Penn shoots Robbins. I much prefer the theme in it's quiet, slow version than extraordinarily loud.

I also never realized Eli Wallach was in here. Nice little tidbit.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Man, this is one gorgeous looking film.

It's also exciting, adventurous, action-packed and pretty damn fun. The effects work is spectacular. Sure, there's some dodgy matte lines here and there, but that mine car chase is absolutely stunning and it's just over 25 years old! I also like how after all the big stagesets and over the top action scenes the final showdown makes use of the most rudimentary elements of suspense: a simple rope bridge over an immense gorge with our hero stuck in the middle between approaching villains.

Good stuff.

Any way you look at it though, Willie Scott remains annoying.

Why is everybody annoying in that film?! It feels like Spielberg in his 1941 mode. You know, "more is better", that sort of thing.

Why is everybody annoying in that film?! It feels like Spielberg in his 1941 mode. You know, "more is better", that sort of thing.

It is.

While Raiders is the spiritual brother of Jaws, Temple Of Doom is the spiritual brother of 1941, but better!

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Ah, good times.

I love the deliberate pacing of it. The slow but tense tempo and the almost episodic nature of the script make me feel like I'm watching one big epic miniseries marathon. And I love most every minute of it. After over 40 years, this is still a manly movie with a big pair of balls. The climax is bitchin', the interplay between the three title characters is immensely fun to watch and Clint Eastwood is cool as ice. The tagline might as well have been this:

Three men on a search for gold, right in the middle of the American Civil War... and it's fucking awesome.

It is.

While Raiders is the spiritual brother of Jaws, Temple Of Doom is the spiritual brother of 1941, but better!

Indeed.

It's really quite noticable it's Spielberg in his let's-just-execute-every-crazy-idea-we-get-and-pass-it-off-as-funny-mode.

I have two big problems with Willie: 1) she finds time to spout wisecracks in the most illogical places and situations and is used as comic relief at very inappropriate times. You can just sense Spielberg sitting in the editing room just wanting to keep as much Kate Capshaw in the film as possible, even if it becomes overkill to the people who, you know, aren't wanting to marry her. 2) She contributes nothing to keep the plot moving or help solve dire situations. Marion was a good sparring partner and motivation for Indy. Here he already has most of that in Short Round. There's very little to redeem the Willie Scott character and make her stand out as anything more than "Indy's love interest." It's just a poorly written character. Pity.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Ah, good times.

I love the deliberate pacing of it. The slow but tense tempo and the almost episodic nature of the script make me feel like I'm watching one big epic miniseries marathon. And I love most every minute of it. After over 40 years, this is still a manly movie with a big pair of balls. The climax is bitchin', the interplay between the three title characters is immensely fun to watch and Clint Eastwood is cool as ice. The tagline might as well have been this:

Three men on a search for gold, right in the middle of the American Civil War... and it's fucking awesome.

I've been meaning to watch it on Blu-ray. One of my favorite films of all time.

I'm at the film festival here. Seen a whole bunch of stuff. The only ones anyone around the world will really see were the most recent Sam Mendes and Peter Greenaway films. Away We Go (2009) was torturous...I liked almost nothing about this film. I had heard it wasn't all that good, but I assumed it must hold some interest, considering how I like so many of the people involved. There was one shot in it I liked, and three small performances. That's it. The movie felt so forced and contrived at every turn. Contrived is actually putting it lightly...there's practically nothing in this film that did not feel recycled. The soundtrack was particularly painful...I'm quite tired with oh-so naive and cute singer-songwriter scores, all on acoustic guitar. Quite a painful film.

My favorite scene? The closing scene. Or I thought it was the closing scene...than there was another closing scene after that. Mendes' most condescending film.

Greenaway's, however, was a different case entirely. The film was Rembrandt's J'Accuse (2008). Apparently, Greenaway made two films about Rembrandt's painting 'Night Watch', one a fiction film, one a documentary. This one is the documentary. Greenaway posits that within Rembrandt's painting are 30 clues to a murder-conspiracy theory, and he goes through them, one by one. He also decries the visual illiteracy that runs in our society. Both cases are compellingly presented, if not necessarily entirely convincing. It's like a particularly well-made History channel special, which is why I'm surprised by how much I liked it. I was thoroughly engaged and entertained by the film.

I'm at the film festival here. Seen a whole bunch of stuff. The only ones anyone around the world will really see were the most recent Sam Mendes and Peter Greenaway films. Away We Go (2009) was torturous...I liked almost nothing about this film. I had heard it wasn't all that good, but I assumed it must hold some interest, considering how I like so many of the people involved. There was one shot in it I liked, and three small performances. That's it. The movie felt so forced and contrived at every turn. Contrived is actually putting it lightly...there's practically nothing in this film that did not feel recycled. The soundtrack was particularly painful...I'm quite tired with oh-so naive and cute singer-songwriter scores, all on acoustic guitar. Quite a painful film.

Interesting. I'd call it the best film of the year, so far.

Ice Age 2: It's better than the previous one. Some of it isn't that fun, but then again that was also the case in the last two. As always, the Scrat parts are the best.

Karol

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Still going to watch the remaining of the film series within the next few days before the newest film's premiere.

It is.

Thusly, Last Crusade is the spiritual brother of Hook and Crystal Skull is the spiritual brother of... The Lost World?

Scaramouche (1952) was recently on TCM.

Quite enjoyable. I was genuinely surprised by the

couple of 'twists' at the end; that he didn't kill the villain, his true parentage and the love interest he eventually winds up with. I suppose I should have seen it coming but it tricked me into thinking it was going to be different this time

The sword fights were great and were, if I remember, left un-scored adding to the tension. Robert Osborne said that it contained the longest duel in cinema history. Wasn't that surpassed by Revenge of the Sith?

Stewart Granger was fun and Mel Ferrer was a great villain. But overall I think I'll stick with The Adventures of Robin Hood when I feel an itch to swash some classic buckle; more adventuring, less clowning around.

Although, that Janet Leigh was quite stunning...

Scaramouche093.jpg

Interesting. I'd call it the best film of the year, so far.

Interesting.

Saw Young @ Heart (2007). What a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful documentary. It's about a chorus of elderly people preparing for a new tour. I can't imagine anyone not liking this movie.

Scaramouche (1952) was recently on TCM.

Ah, one of my favourites. ;)

Quite enjoyable. I was genuinely surprised by the

Reminds me of Star Wars at times, actually.

The sword fights were great and were, if I remember, left un-scored adding to the tension. Robert Osborne said that it contained the longest duel in cinema history. Wasn't that surpassed by Revenge of the Sith?

Scaramouche's claim is that it's the longest *continuous* duel. Meaning that, from what I know, it's been filmed in a single take (with some closeups added later on).

Stewart Granger was fun and Mel Ferrer was a great villain. But overall I think I'll stick with The Adventures of Robin Hood when I feel an itch to swash some classic buckle; more adventuring, less clowning around.

I'm a fan of the Flynn bucklers, Captain Blood and Robin Hood in particular. But I might even like Scaramouche a bit more.

Although, that Janet Leigh was quite stunning...

Oh yes.

Awesome score by Victor Young, too.

I was going to see Wanted on Cinemax tonight, if only to see how "Success Montage" is (ab?)used in the film, but I guess got the showtime wrong, and I changed the channel only to find that I was just in time for "Skinemax"....

I saw a little bit of it before I stopped watching it because I was not in the mood... from what I saw, it seemed rather reminiscent of Fight Club, which is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, but that feel kind of turned me off. I also made a few unfavorable mental comparisons to Quentin Taratino, a director who appeals very little to me ( I did like Jackie Brown, though).

I saw a little bit of it before I stopped watching it because I was not in the mood... from what I saw, it seemed rather reminiscent of Fight Club, which is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, but that feel kind of turned me off. I also made a few unfavorable mental comparisons to Quentin Taratino, a director who appeals very little to me ( I did like Jackie Brown, though).

I suppose, like a lot of films these days, the aesthetic is very much a crib of Fincher and his style, but the substance is nowhere near. It's not Tarantino-esque either (thank god). I think it's probably a spiritual cousin to THE MATRIX, with a more likeable set of characters. It made me laugh a lot, but I am glad I did not purchase it as I wouldn't watch it again.

Wanted

I still stand by that this tries to take itself too seriously towards the second half. Shoot 'Em Up is way better.

Wanted is still not as bad as most people say, only a little dumb. It certainly isn't less enjoyable than pretty much every summer blockbuster this year. Which might be a faint praise, but still.

Karol

I'd say it's much less enjoyable than STAR TREK, but that's a matter of opinion.

PLATOON. Still very good, but the narration by Sheen rings a bit false. I think it would be a better movie if it was removed. Perhaps an opportunity for a BLADE RUNNER-esque rerelease?

GHOSTBUSTERS. Apparently the scene where Dana gets kidnapped by the terror dogs is a bit too scary for a nine-month old.

GHOSTBUSTERS. Apparently the scene where Dana gets kidnapped by the terror dogs is a bit too scary for a nine-month old.

;)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Wow, I should really get the album, the music was wonderful! Some parts really reminded me of "Soundings", and I love how John Williams used the theme from "Double Trouble" throughout. Like others, I also feel that this is the most "filmic" Harry Potter film, the one that is capable of standing on its own legs, so to speak. Some very nice performances from the adults such as Gary Oldman and (as always) Alan Rickman, and the kids did not do too bad a job either. In fact, Alan Rickman is about the only thing I am looking forward to in the newest Harry Potter film....

It's the only Potter film I love, or even like. It has Gary Oldman (who gets shunned in the other films), and it's not about fucking Voldemort.

spoken with the ignorance that you're well known for.

Oldman wasn't shunned in the other films, his role was secondary at best, always.

I personall think 1 and 5 are better films.

Voldemort is always the focus, as he should be, he is Harry's other half so to say.

I don't think 1 is anywhere near as good, but I don't think there's any need to rehash that argument yet again....I do agree that 5 is pretty damn good, though.

Voldemort should not be the focus of every film, but hey that's why the books aren't "literary masterpieces." That'd be like making 7 Superman movies with Lex Luthor as the villain in each one.

The books (and the movies) are apart of one long story arc, so it makes sense for it to have one villain. Like Sauron, like Darth Vader.