What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finding Nemo was an exercise in tedium for me. I kept turning it off and on trying to get through it. My late partner James felt the same way. We wanted to like it but found no reason. I was shocked how primitive and poorly animated TS was and that affected my thoughts on it.

My favorite animated films are Beauty and the Beast and South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut

Of the Pixar films I like UP and Wall-E best. I like Bolt too.(not pixar I thing)

LIke you Quint I noticed ET on tv a few weeks back and the bad guys had guns, yeah.

I caught the editted SPR on tv also but all it's guns had been edited out. What a surreal experience.

It's a shame you didn't click with the first TS, I think it's a wonderful movie. As for Finding Nemo, well it's my all time favourite animation.

Agreed, it's a brilliant movie, as is the sequel (fingers crossed for 3). I never really clicked with Nemo, it's certainly wonderful, but it's not something I've gone back to many times, which is only really true with Pixar for A Bug's Life and Cars.

My favorite animated films are Beauty and the Beast and South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut

Mine are Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and The Iron Giant.

You do realize these are movies for kids, right?

ahhh you're wrong

South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut is effing hilarious! My head nearly exploded during the Uncle Fucker song. Love me some Team America too; but I don't get to watch that stuff much 'coz the girlfriend can't stand that brand of juvenile humour.

I want another TEAM AMERICA movie. This time set in Afghanistan. "I'm Matt Daaamon"

I'd love another Team America movie, but I remember reading at the time that they found the puppetry process so laborious that it put them off ever going near them again, which is a mighty shame.

You do realize these are movies for kids, right?

ahhh you're wrong

He's only partly wrong. Pixar wants to be taken seriously as adult fare, but also get a pass because they're only cartoons. I'm with them on the former, but they ain't getting a pass from me.

I was shocked how primitive and poorly animated TS was and that affected my thoughts on it.

Well, it is 15 years old. Practically a lifetime in computer animation.

I like Bolt too.(not pixar I thing)

Not directly, but it was produced by John Lasseter (chief creative officer at Pixar).

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

God damn it what a stupid movie! I'll forever be haunted by visions of a toothless guy cackling maniacally, Chekov simulating a snowstorm, a Klingon commander dopily apologizing and Uhura dancing in the starlight while random creeps stammer "She naked!" Everything about this movie sucked. Actually... there was a lot of good chemistry between the lead trio, and the scenes of them confronting their deepest pains were quite interesting. I didn't buy Lawrence Luckinbill as Sybok, though. He was just... bland! And why did he have to be Spock's brother, just to create a motivation for Spock allowing himself to be captured? Considering Bill Shatner's ridiculous ego, I was surprised by how moderate Kirk's role in the film was. But Shatner's directorial style evoked the worst of TOS. Good thing they didn't bring him back for a second one. Goldsmith is back, and so is his theme, but it feels somehow off. Everything is so brief and understated. It's clear this film and score have little to do with TMP. Well, one more film to go (sort of)!

:) (Laughing with you Henry. Well, you're not laughing. I'm NOT laughing at you. :))

This movie has grown on me in recent years actually. Yeah, the plot and effects are crap, but there is a LOT of fun to be had between the main characters. Not just the lead three, but Scotty gets some of his best lines and moments here (as well as his worst, so it's a double edged sword). Jerry's score is really good too, way better than the movie deserves. Have you heard it on CD yet?

And yes, you will like VI.

Yes, I've heard it once or twice. As I recall, basically everything between the main title and the finale is unreleased. Bring on the expanded release!

He's only partly wrong. Pixar wants to be taken seriously as adult fare, but also get a pass because they're only cartoons. I'm with them on the former, but they ain't getting a pass from me.

Lucky for them they don't need a pass from you then, init.

Right about now they're just about the only shining torch of cinema magic hope - in the vein of Disney at its peak and Spielberg at his most pitch-perfect. I get excited about upcoming Pixar movies and for that I'm thankful, because right now there's nothing else out there that produces that same emotional response.

Lucky for them they don't need a pass from you then, init.

Sure, drink the kool-aid. When you're done settling for less, come see me.

They are clearly aimed at both children and adults. Themes of abandonment and loneliness go right over the childrens head. Toy Story 3 is the best of the lot for me. Far better animated and brutally dark. If you have a dry eye towards the end then you're dead inside.

Themes of abandonment and loneliness go right over the childrens head.

:lol:

These are probably the themes children relate to the most. Especially during seperation, divorce or the death of one of the parents. It's probably their biggest fear and a lot of fairy tales and children stories are dealing with these themes, if not most.

If you have a dry eye towards the end then you're dead inside.

You Americans love to cry.

Man On Fire: Not good but watchable (despite Tony Scott's overuse of stroboscopic editing) and a typical Hollywood ending that tries to make you cry. I always feel treated like a simpleton when I watch a Tony Scott movie. Starring Tony's buddy Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning, the Shirley Temple of the '00s.

Alex

I agree that Pixar is kind of a lone defender of the tradition of really, really good storytelling through film. Their films aren't the only good ones, of course, and I admit that their more recent output has tended to leave me just a little bit cold by comparison to some of their earlier stuff...but on the whole, this studio is committed to doing a top-notch job every single time, and their success in the box office is enormously reassuring to me. Reminds me that people really do genuinely appreciate quality. Pixar is quality, both in the unrivaled technical wizardry of their CGI and in the heartfelt, interesting stories they so clearly love to tell.

Ergo...still looking forward to seeing Toy Story 3. Though I'm sure I'll be dead in Joey's overly moistened eyes, I know I'm going to connect to this film on a really deep level. My soul will be weeping, even if my body won't be. Themes of change, growing up, moving on, letting go of the past, and so forth tend to really hit home for me - those things can be rather difficult for me to deal with in real life, so I respond strongly to stories involving them. The fact that I'm so fond of the first two films will only increase the bittersweetness.

Man On Fire: Not good but watchable (despite Tony Scott's overuse of stroboscopic editing) and a typical Hollywood ending that tries to make you cry. I always feel treated like a simpleton when I watch a Tony Scott movie. Starring Tony's buddy Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning, the Shirley Temple of the '00s.

I think it's excellent. It's Tony Scott, Denzel, and Harry Gregson-Williams at their best. I will say that Tony's latest films haven't been that great. Hopefully Unstoppable with Chris Pine will be better.

Themes of abandonment and loneliness go right over the childrens head.

:lol:

These are probably the themes children relate to the most. Especially during seperation, divorce or the death of one of the parents. It's probably their biggest fear and a lot of fairy tales and children stories are dealing with these themes, if not most.

If you have a dry eye towards the end then you're dead inside.

You Americans love to cry.

Alex

it makes us superior to you dead fish souled people. ;) the editing on this board sucks.

Ergo...still looking forward to seeing Toy Story 3. Though I'm sure I'll be dead in Joey's overly moistened eyes, I know I'm going to connect to this film on a really deep level. My soul will be weeping, even if my body won't be. Themes of change, growing up, moving on, letting go of the past, and so forth tend to really hit home for me - those things can be rather difficult for me to deal with in real life, so I respond strongly to stories involving them. The fact that I'm so fond of the first two films will only increase the bittersweetness.

Joe take it from the Older JOE, let yourself cry, don't be afraid to do so, it only weakens you. Real men are not afraid to cry.

Saw Karate Kid, a very different and very good remake. Jaden Smith is amazing.

All the even-numbered ones are :)

...er, until 10 (or so I hear, never seen it)

Nemesis is actually a pretty damned good entertaining film.

Oh, I watched Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus.....no, really. Why? Here's why,

Now tell me you don't feel compelled to see it.

Kingdom of Spiders: It was a cookie cutter thriller, although the very end was unexpected and nice. Some really bad acting, and some decent scares.

One of Kirk's finest moments. Deliciously bad. You should watch Empire of the Ants and Giant Spider Invasion, they make a nice trilogy.

Five short films produced in partnership with Ridley Scott Associates:

“The Gift”, by Carl Erik Rinsch

“Darkroom” by Johnny Hardstaff

“Jun & the Hidden Skies” by Hi-Sim

“The Hunt” by Jake Scott

“El Secreto de Mateo” by Greg Fay

You can watch them too

Jake Scott has my vote.

0.jpg

Alex

Joe take it from the Older JOE, let yourself cry, don't be afraid to do so, it only weakens you. Real men are not afraid to cry.

I want movies to make me cry, those are the ones I like the best.

Saw Karate Kid, a very different and very good remake. Jaden Smith is amazing.

The scene were he yells at his mom and screams that he wants to go home showed some real talent within him. So yes, he definitely has a bright career ahead of him. I think it's funny how he's just like his father in the way he delivers some lines and his expressions.

Giant Spider Invasion, they make a nice trilogy.

I can watch a great white shark eat a man as an 9-10 year old and walk away fine.

I watch a giant spider munch on two dudes as an 9-10 year old and become an emotional wreck for weeks.

Kingdom of the Spiders is awesome. I love that it doesn't cheap out and use fake spiders, it's real ones all the way. It's also clear the animal watchdog wasn't around for that movie.

Saw Toy Story 3. It's pretty good. Script isn't great and story is recycled from the last one, but these films never got me on a story-level, anyway. The moments make them, and this one had plenty of great moments. I think they kinda futzed up the ending, but only kinda. The difference between the Lassetter-type storytelling, the Brad Bird type and the Andrew Stanton type is really interesting.

I saw Jonah Hex. Where do I begin...

It's better than Wild Wild West and Ghost Rider, and a more entertaining Civil War movie than Gods and Generals.

I think the worst creature would be a giant tarantula (Shelob-sized) that swam in the ocean. It combines the terror of sharks (vulnerability from not being in a familiar, managable environment) with the terror of spiders (the creepy look).

It's better than Wild Wild West and Ghost Rider, and a more entertaining Civil War movie than Gods and Generals.

Is it worth watching? I already feel compelled to spend money because of Megan Fox

Is it worth watching? I already feel compelled to spend money because of Megan Fox

Only thing I enjoyed in it was Michael Fassbender.

I've been working through some 30 Rock seasons...this show is hilarious! I think that as soon as I see them all I will prefer it to The Office. There's even a slight chance of it surpassing Seinfeld (though I doubt it).

Only thing I enjoyed in it was Michael Fassbender.

I agree. His character was quite entertaining. Will Arnett, however, must have needed work because his character really didn't do anything funny, unless he's trying to branch out.

The theater that I was in played the sound rather loud and muffled, so it was hard to hear some of the opening dialogue.

At first, I disliked how much of the opening exposition was presented in quasi-animated comic book form. But since it was only there to set up the character on his revenge quest and explain how he gets his powers -- and it's a comic book movie, after all -- it worked to quickly get the movie going into the next phase.

There are some pretty big plot holes. We aren't told the history behind Jonah Hex and Megan Fox's character, the villain's superweapon is impossible by 19th century standards, and there's no reason for President Grant to put all his eggs into one basket. (But then again, you could say the same of Raiders of the Lost Ark.) On the other hand, a good bit of backstory is sprinkled throughout, rather than presented entirely linearly. It's a self contained revenge story with no room or need for a sequel, and it's watchable.

I didn't go see it for Megan Fox, because I avoided Transformers 2 and Jennifer's Body like the plague.

Is it true that Marco Beltrami had his name taken off the film? That's what someone at FSM said.

When the credits roll, the music is attributed to Marco Beltrami and Mastodon. So no. The movie had a very hard rock oriented score, with a lot of electric guitar and loud music. It was not entirely inappropriate. I don't remember a lick of music and wouldn't buy the soundtrack album, but it fit the type of movie -- a comic book post-Civil War superhero movie.

Saw Toy Story 3. It's pretty good. The difference between the Lassetter-type storytelling, the Brad Bird type and the Andrew Stanton type is really interesting.

The others are great; but I prefer Lassetter's output most - he's the closest thing we've got to a modern day Capra.

If you want to happen, steer away from the fourth season. The latter half of the third should give you a clue.

Oh darn...I was hoping it won't suffer a quality decrease like The Office has.