What Is The Last Film You Watched?

There's nothing immoral about hit girl.

How about parents raising their kids to be violent-loving killing machines? If there was nothing wrong about it, then why are people discussing it on the internet like you wouldn't believe? Or, better yet, why haven't we seen it before in a Hollywood movie? This is not Shorty ("You call him Dr. Jones!")! I like the movie but I'm not deaf or insensitive to this new level of violence. Hit Girl (Kick-Ass) crossed a new barrier and I wonder how long it will take before things will go even further.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, why do the morals matter anyways? It's a movie. You shouldn't judge movies on their ideas, but how they are presented.

The movie was stupid anyways. Lots of flat humor and bad acting. Bitch about that, please.

I can imagine several things you might be concerned about, Alex, and I'm curious which one is the biggest issue for you:

* what they were teaching the actress who played Hit Girl

* the moral scruples of the film's creators

* what the film teaches children to do and say

* what the film morally desensitizes adults to

The thing I'm wondering about is "where is cinema going"? How much further will it take violence (and sex) in order to make people say 'cool'?

crowe.jpg

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Who says there shouldn't be sex and violence in film? It's just standards are changing. There was no really reason to not have them in the first place except that standards started off so tight. In fact, before standards for movies were created, there was so much sex and violence, much more than we are accustomed to. Some weird shit. That was why the standards were created, and they have just continuously broken down.

I just don't see any real reason not to have this stuff in movies. I think the fact that it is in movies only exemplifies how bad/wrong/strange it all is. I don't think someone is going to see Kick Ass and teach his daughter to kill people. I really don't.

I think the fact that it is in movies only exemplifies how bad/wrong/strange it all is.

People are getting more and more violent each year. You think crossing the barriers will help? Hit Girl says "look, violence is not just for Batman or the Joker, little girls do it too and it's cool."

In real life this type of violence and behavior is not appropriate for anyone, so I'm still not sure why your selectively pointing out Hit-Girl as crossing the line in movies and potentially inspiring copycats. But never mind, I don't want to read you lame-ass rationalization about film maker's intents of why it's ok in every other movies but not this one.

Anyways I already said I'll defend Kick-Ass when anyone brings out stupid arguments against it. Despite the generally great reviews for the film, almost every internet message board discussions about it turns to crap , from people asserting their so-called moral superiority and denouncing the swearing and violence to calling Hit-Girl fans pedophiles . Good lord I never realized I was such a terrible person for enjoying the film.

There's nothing immoral about hit girl.

How about parents raising their kids to be violent-loving killing machines? If there was nothing wrong about it, then why are people discussing it on the internet like you wouldn't believe? Or, better yet, why haven't we seen it before in a Hollywood movie? This is not Shorty ("You call him Dr. Jones!")! I like the movie but I'm not deaf or insensitive to this new level of violence. Hit Girl (Kick-Ass) crossed a new barrier and I wonder how long it will take before things will go even further.

I say take it further. Who cares? Its just movies. They have an r-rating for a reason: These are movies for adults.

Movies, TV, the internet, and of course real life, have effectively desensitized most of us to everything. Is anyone really shocked by anything anymore? I wasn't offended by Kick-Ass. It was a dumb, silly popcorn movie for the YouTube generation. Nothing more.

I wasn't offended by Kick-Ass. It was a dumb, silly popcorn movie for the YouTube generation. Nothing more.

I personally like it a lot more than that and feel somewhat protective of it, or I wouldn't bother to reply when people start trashing it.

Here's Alexcremers initial review of Kick-Ass. Not sure why he's backpedaling and taking a stand against it now.

Kick-Ass: Saw it theatrically with the kid. I thought I wasn't going to like it but I was wrong. I liked it from the very start. Entertaining stuff. I'd say it's worth ***/****

There was one scene I didn't like though and that's the 'internet live execution' scene. Don't worry, I get it, it looked like a shooter game but it was noisy, overlong and unfunny.

Not after a long gap between edits they don't, they never did. Or maybe I'm wrong - it's like that scene near the end of Terminator 3 were they find the control room, but there's nobody at the controls. It all still works, but it's all been long abandoned. Deserted.

Yeah I was too busy trying to figure out who was betraying or double-crossing who and why. It's like I should have brought my notepad to the movie.

So It's up there with The Dark Knight and Inception in my list of movies where I was distracted from the visuals and acting by poor story telling

Oh not this again.

I'm staying out of it.

the inserted Goldsmith is an insult to film music...

Are you dissing Goldsmith?

I would think he's dissing such promiscuous tracking.

Indeed. It's an insult to film music, which is an insult to Goldsmith, too. It's Scott twisting the blade of Legend and Alien.

Who cares?

Reading the internet, a lot of people care, apparently. There are those like you who say 'whatever' and then there are those who wonder if it's okay to use children for glorifying violence. I think it's something worth thinking about.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: The strange synchronization makes it awkward to watch. Overall, the film is really starting to show its age.

I Am Legend: It's bad and yet you keep watching even though it's bad. I actually want to see The Omega Man with Charlton Heston again. Did you know it's one of Tim Burton's favorite movies? Well, now you do.

Alex

That movie was made for immature people? Only immature adults would like it?

Of course none of the movies you like fit into that category.

I like italian Yeti films, for what it's worth. If people now are arguing movies like 'KICK ASS' are made for adults, i desperately try to imagine adult people from my social zone standing before a cinema, choosing, of all things, KICK ASS over 6 or 8 other films running on cineplex - well, it don't figures. Maybe with some fancy substances running wild, but still. Those are movies squarely aimed at young males. Nothing wrong with that, mind you.

If you always had an affinity for films aimed at the geek audience about comic books ,science fiction, fantasy and the likes, your still going to want to see movies like this even if your into your 40's .

Reading the internet, a lot of people care, apparently. There are those like you who say 'whatever' and then there are those who wonder if it's okay to use children for glorifying violence. I think it's something worth thinking about.

Alex

They also managed to film an exceptional, star making performance by Chloe Moretz ( it's also the general consensus in reviews). Also something to think about

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Overall, the film is really starting to show its age.

Yep. Like the finest motherfucking vintage wine from the old country.

Lee - amused by Alex's ever evident pickle with films which are settling into their old age.

Everything is personal, with you. Always on the defence.

Heh heh whatever you say, Alex. You got me sussed, bang to rights, right?

I suppose you can't help having superficial tastes which are heavily dictated by a movie's aesthetics over all else. I suppose the one benefit of such an insular view is that it allows you to see the "true face" of a movie.

Guffaw!

Everything is personal, with you.

No, with you, Quint. Your reaction wasn't about the movie. You were commenting me (with a false accusation no less). You do it a lot. You could've asked or stated that it's normal for old movies to get dated over time, but no, you chose to be amused by my "ever evidentness". I don't understand how that can constitute a good discussion but I guess that's not the reason why you are here.

No, with you, Quint. Your reaction wasn't about the movie. You were commenting me (with a false accusation no less). You do it a lot. You could've asked or stated that it's normal for old movies to get dated over time

With anyone else I would have done just that, but why would I waste my time taking that approach with you - since I learned a looooong time ago that meaningful discussion with you is a futile pursuit.

I responded to your TGTBATU comment with lighthearted reply, followed by a throwaway observation regarding your indeed evident dispute with older movies and their often aged appearance and feel, to which you overacted with a snide remark (being your slithery specialty) in which you claimed that you had offended me. Lol, you're so up your own arse you think we all sit around here hanging onto your every word as if you're some kind of half-arsed movie oracle of JWFan and when anyone disagrees with your tastes they must and can only be deeply offended. Looooool!

Again, no arguments but only more personal attacks, Quint. It seems to be the only thing you are capable of. Oh, yeah, and laughing instead of sharing your point of view. Yep, you're a real meaningful guy, quint.

Once Upon A Time In The West: The film had more impact on me when I was young(er) but back then everything was new and I didn't know the big mystery of Harmonica Man yet. Today I feel I'm not more that fascinated by it. After the first 3 terrific (silent) scenes my interest is starting to fade. Not as dated as The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, but there are simply not so many interesting things going on. One more thing, Ridley Scott never mentions Sergio Leone as being an influence on his early days, now that I've watched this movie again, I strongly suspect that he is.

Alex

No, with you, Quint. Your reaction wasn't about the movie. You were commenting me (with a false accusation no less). You do it a lot. You could've asked or stated that it's normal for old movies to get dated over time

With anyone else I would have done just that, but why would I waste my time taking that approach with you - since I learned a looooong time ago that meaningful discussion with you is a futile pursuit.

I responded to your TGTBATU comment with lighthearted reply, followed by a throwaway observation regarding your indeed evident dispute with older movies and their often aged appearance and feel, to which you overacted with a snide remark (being your slithery specialty) in which you claimed that you had offended me. Lol, you're so up your own arse you think we all sit around here hanging onto your every word as if you're some kind of half-arsed movie oracle of JWFan and when anyone disagrees with your tastes they must and can only be deeply offended. Looooool!

cats_fighting_102006_5.jpg

Again, no arguments but only more personal attacks, Quint. It seems to be the only thing you are capable of. Oh, yeah, and laughing instead of sharing your point of view. Yep, you're a real meaningful guy, quint.

:lol:

I plan on watching San Francisco later today, found the Dvd cheap at Barnes and Noble. Great old b&w melodrama that incorporates the Great San Francisco earthquake and fire. Even by today's standards the effects are phenomenal.

It's a really dated and manipulative film. Full of awkward Christian propaganda. But the effects are good.

Clark Gable is a non-believer, the earthquake comes, killing thousands of people and he says "Thank God".

It's a really dated and manipulative film. Full of awkward Christian propaganda. But the effects are good.

Clark Gable is a non-believer, the earthquake comes, killing thousands of people and he says "Thank God".

Stefan the movie is 74 years old and takes place 104 years ago. It's not dated at all.

btw, films are supposed to be manipulative. Each film in it's own way manipulates the audience in some form or fashion, or direction.

The Town

Awful score. There is no defending Harry Gregson Williams. The score was a bother. Otherwise, it was well made and very well acted. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeremy Renner got another oscar nomination, except he'd deserve it this time.

That movie looked quite shit from the trailer. Almost like The Departed parody with Ben Affleck in the Matt Damon role. But apparently, it's really good. So now a must-see.

I felt the same way. Even now, I wouldn't say it was really good, but it was good enough to deserve some attention.

Do you just go ahead and see any movie that gets high praise? I don't care if a movie gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, if it doesn't look good to me, I probably won't see it. I know what I like, I'm sure you do too. With that being said, I think The Town looks fantastic.

And going back for a moment on all the banter between Alex and Quint to add my two cents: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly and Once Upon A Time In The West are two of the greatest films ever made. The latter taking my #1 spot.

Devil

A very decent movie in pretty much all aspects. Decent cinematography, decent acting and writing, decent score. It's just all so decent, I don't know how to rate it. I guess it had a lot of potential but just fell short and became an entertaining flick. While Shyamalan's influence is evident, it's very different from his style. I hate it when people tell me he sucks it up again without even realizing he only came up with the story. At the end of the day though, he'll always make profitable films. People love to hate him.

Do you just go ahead and see any movie that gets high praise? I don't care if a movie gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, if it doesn't look good to me, I probably won't see it. I know what I like, I'm sure you do too. With that being said, I think The Town looks fantastic.

Not necessarily, although it is a big decider. I more chose to see The Town because I wanted to be able to share my opinion on it with a couple of friends who were inexplicably excited to see it.