RIP Michael Jackson

I've never really gotten into Copland's Americana ballets - which is generally his most famous work. I enjoy his symphonies and some of his contemporary style pieces, but not those ballets..

By the way, thanks Clark!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead and add Queen while you are at it.

"Nick", who actually likes Queen and does not realize why so many hate them

I love Queen as well. I think some people don't like it because Freddy Mercury was gay, so they think listening to the music somehow makes you gay.

I didn't notice that the music of Queen was commonly perceived through Mercury's sexual orientation. Even in Poland (quite conservative country, especially in previous decades) he has always been hailed as a musical hero. Some of his videoclips were gay, though.

I didn't noticed that the music of Queen was commonly perceived through Mercury's sexual orientation.

First I've heard of it. I can't recall ever encountering in print or in person derogative comments about Queen's music due to Freddie's lifestyle.

Michael would, I imagine, be a different case given the allegations and his bizarre existence.

Personally I can enjoy his music and separate that from my thoughts on the man.

For better or for worse, the frontman usually pops into people's heads when they think of the band. I say Aerosmith, you see Steven Tyler. Joe Perry, who's he? I say Rolling Stones, you see Mick Jagger. Who's this Keith Richards fellow?

I know that Sting helmed The Police, Geddy Lee helms Rush, and Ian Anderson was the frontman for Jethro Tull, but I can't for the life of me tell you who any of the other members are. (Jethro Tull's a bit unfair, as it's had 17 different lineups since 1967, so nobody remembers them all).

But Queen was Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon (and Paul Rodgers, most recently). Those are some pretty memorable fellows, right? Freddie was only one fourth of Queen, but he's the figure that stands out in people's minds, and that's why the band gets the raw deal. Which is a shame because they were awesome entertainers and wrote some tremendous songs.

I guess it's true that most people remember the front runner, but Mick Jagger and Keith Richards go hand in hand. Kinda like Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Robert Daltry and Pete Townshend, and so on.

I'd forgive the general public if they weren't familiar with Plant and Page, because the members of Led Zeppelin were more shy to the media. But Lennon and McCartney were more like co-frontmen of the Beatles than anything, so both remained extremely popular.

You and I

Somebody to Love

'39

I Can't Live With You

Spread Your Wings

It's Late

And while you're at it, add some Stones, too.

I didn't notice that the music of Queen was commonly perceived through Mercury's sexual orientation. Even in Poland (quite conservative country, especially in previous decades) he has always been hailed as a musical hero. Some of his videoclips were gay, though.

I Want to Break Free? :o

For better or for worse, the frontman usually pops into people's heads when they think of the band. I say Aerosmith, you see Steven Tyler. Joe Perry, who's he? I say Rolling Stones, you see Mick Jagger. Who's this Keith Richards fellow?

I know that Sting helmed The Police, Geddy Lee helms Rush, and Ian Anderson was the frontman for Jethro Tull, but I can't for the life of me tell you who any of the other members are. (Jethro Tull's a bit unfair, as it's had 17 different lineups since 1967, so nobody remembers them all).

But Queen was Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon (and Paul Rodgers, most recently). Those are some pretty memorable fellows, right? Freddie was only one fourth of Queen, but he's the figure that stands out in people's minds, and that's why the band gets the raw deal. Which is a shame because they were awesome entertainers and wrote some tremendous songs.

Funny. For a long time, Queen was just Mercury to me, whereas the Stones have been the Glimmer Twins as long as I can remember. It's Watts and the others that kinda seem to live in their shadow.

Didn't Michael Jackson use to own the Beatles' music?

What a headline.

"Former Owner of Beatles Recordings, Ex-Husband of Lisa Marie Presley Dead at 50"

He once owned the Beatles music 100%, but then sold 50% to Sony, to pay for his highly expnsive lifestyle. If Jackson indeed died in so much debt, it's likely that his 50% will be sold to Sony.

However he didn't own the first two Beatles singles (Love Me Do and Please Please Me with its B-sides P.S. I Love You and Ask Me Why respectavely) or the later George and Ringo songs (like While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Something, Here Comes the Sun, Octopus's Garden among others)

Ringo's strenght is obviously not his songwritting, however listen to the Decca audition (with Pete Best as drummer) and you'll notice how important Ringo was, he was vital to the Beatles sound and they wouldn't have made it big without him.

The Police: Andy Summers, and Stewart Copeland. Rush (we're not worthy, we're not worthy!): Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart. I could also name you every member of both Yes and Genesis, if asked.

Like it or not, Michael Jackson was a towering figure in the world of entertainment, and his death to this generation is akin to the deaths of either Elvis Presley, or John Lennon. Hopefully ("Somewhere In The Dark" aside) his music will be remembered and the public will forget how (supposedly) wierd his life was. As he once asked; "Have You Seen My Childhood"..?

Anyone else jumped on the MJ CD-buying frenzy bandwagon? I just dropped a hundred bucks on the complete back-catalogue of the Jackson 5. What can I say, I'm fickle. :)

I don't get why all his albums are now the best selling on iTunes and Amazon, I could see Thriller or a Greatest Hits CD, but all of them?? When Paul McCartney dies, hopefully in a very long time (and if I outlive him, one can never be sure) I won't rush out to buy his albums cause I already have them all.

Believe me, when Hans Zimmer dies, all of us are going to rush out to buy all his albums.

its as certain as death and taxes.