John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know which two statements of Hedwig's Theme are on the OST? I'm guessing it's the (virtually in-audible) one at the beginning and the one when we first see Ginny?

Also, I understand that the cue for Wizard Wheezes was replaced by the Fireworks Theme. Does anyone know if this was newly recorded or if it was just tracked from HP5? Same for the End Credits?

Does anyone know which two statements of Hedwig's Theme are on the OST? I'm guessing it's the (virtually in-audible) one at the beginning and the one when we first see Ginny?

Yes, they're both on the OST in the tracks Opening and Ginny respectively,

Yes, they're both on the OST in the tracks Opening and Ginny respectively,

Thanks. :)

Would I be right in saying that the 'Ginny' and Hogwarts Express statements are virtually the same?

Thanks. :)

Would I be right in saying that the 'Ginny' and Hogwarts Express statements are virtually the same?

Actually I don't know that because I haven't seen the film yet. But since the Hogwarts Express one is supposed to be the classic version of the theme from PS, I think the answer is yes.

Thanks. ;)

Actually I don't know that because I haven't seen the film yet.

Ooops, sorry! Thought you had. :)

Indeed. I would think the man would respect his family more than his job and isn't likely to make up stories about the former to mask problems with the latter.

I don't think he made it up, but that's not the only reason. Like I said before, my inside source said he got Hooper off of Deathly Hallows after he told me he would at the beginning of July.

That's why he came up with all this "stress on the family" excuse.

How do you know this is just and excuse? What's your source?

Who says that I know this? I said, "I'm getting the feeling that..."

I wouldn't accuse someone of making up famliy problems without some serious evidence. That's crossing a line.

Are you kidding me? Re-read Hooper's "excuses". He says the workload was primarily a huge stress, which happened to take a toll on his private/family life... nothing about "family problems". It's quite possible that Hooper told a "white lie" in mentioning one excuse, exaggerating it if you will, but completely disregarding a more direct reason for not being hired. Crossing a line my toned, hairless ass.

The Quidditch: Third Year horn motif was used during the Quidditch match, but wasn't resolved very well. It is incorrectly credited on the soundtrack as being an adaptation of The Quidditch Match, which would be the PS cue, not the PoA cue and Hooper said he looked closely at the PoA score, not the others.

I gather that he looked really closely at the score -- 10/10 and an oscar nomination -- and tried his hardest to copy that success. Oh, and failed.

John Williams will compose for The Deadly Hallows only over my dead body!

That's why they call it a sacrifice, Steef. :)

They're exactly the same except the Hogwarts Express version is longer, so it includes Hedwig's B Theme.

They're exactly the same except the Hogwarts Express version is longer, so it includes Hedwig's B Theme.

Great. I'm not going mad after all! :)

In this (new) film the two audible Hedwig statements sounded just like HP1 to my ears too.

Great. I'm not going mad after all! :)

In this (new) film the two audible Hedwig statements sounded just like HP1 to my ears too.

Actually, it is a lift from CoS (track 1), if I'm not mistaken

Great. I'm not going mad after all! :baaa:

Actually, it is a lift from CoS (track 1), if I'm not mistaken

That doesn't suprise me. It seems a few cues have been replaced. Perhaps David Yates wasn't a happy bunny..........

That's why he came up with all this "stress on the family" excuse.

How do you know this is just and excuse? What's your source?

Who says that I know this? I said, "I'm getting the feeling that..."

I wouldn't accuse someone of making up famliy problems without some serious evidence. That's crossing a line.

I wouldn't bring my family at all into a professional interview...

And choose your words carefully! He didn't say he has FAMILY PROBLEMS! He said something like his work put "strain on his family."

Are you kidding me? Re-read Hooper's "excuses". He says the workload was primarily a huge stress, which happened to take a toll on his private/family life... nothing about "family problems". It's quite possible that Hooper told a "white lie" in mentioning one excuse, exaggerating it if you will, but completely disregarding a more direct reason for not being hired. Crossing a line my toned, hairless ass.

Ahhh, I see you said it before me. :baaa:

Maybe Hooper's familiy didn't like his scores, and constantly told him how great a John Williams score for these movies would be...

...maybe that's what caused the stress!

Maybe Hooper's familiy didn't like his scores, and constantly told him how great a John Williams score for these movies would be...

You're crossing a line! Don't make jokes about anyone's family.

I hear Rowling's writing a new book called The Wizard With the Golden Wand, with the plot supposedly about Harry going to South East Asia to fight an evil wizard who plots to harness new magical energy from the sun. This will be followed by On His Minister's Magical Secret Service, where Voldemort has been resurrected again and kills Ginny in a fly-by zapping at the end.

Plenty of opportunities for Williams' return, he has all the time in the world.

Well, if Williams does indeed return he has numerous options for Dumbledore: Fawkes' theme refurbished, Hooper's In Noctem reimagined or a brand new theme.

A brandnew theme, most likely.

I am worried that, if JW returns, he may (be asked to) disregard some of his earlier themes (mainly from CoS), which, obviously, will cause uproar among (some) fans.

I don't think, if Williams returns and he's asked to discard all but Hedwig's Theme (I don't imagine this would happen), I imagine the uproar would be minimal, since even with Hooper's scores it was only a small uproar from Williams fans - we'd all just be grateful for his return.

:P

Little Nicky Hooper: "DADDY! Stop writing music for Harry Potter already! It sucks! Let John Williams do it! Please, DAAAAD! I promise I'll behave myself, too!"

:P Oh, I'm just kidding!

Well, if Williams does indeed return he has numerous options for Dumbledore: Fawkes' theme refurbished, Hooper's In Noctem reimagined or a brand new theme.

A brandnew theme, most likely.

I am worried that, if JW returns, he may (be asked to) disregard some of his earlier themes (mainly from CoS), which, obviously, will cause uproar among (some) fans.

Why would ANYBODY ask him to disregard his former themes?

Because he would infantilize the film.

Oh, OK. Now I get what he meant.

Well, yes... but I don't think JW needs to be told that. If he thinks it's appropriate, he will use any of the previous themes. If not, then he will do something else.

Sorry, but I just can't see Yates telling legendary 5-times winning composer John Williams how to do his job. He will possibly make suggestions, but he won't say, "John, don't you DARE use any of the Harry themes from PS!" (or something to that effect)

But you could say that about Jerry Goldsmith with Star Trek. He came back four films later and just upgraded his original themes for the better. He didn't completely abandon them.

Somehow I don't think Johnny would do that.........

I don't think, if Williams returns and he's asked to discard all but Hedwig's Theme (I don't imagine this would happen), I imagine the uproar would be minimal, since even with Hooper's scores it was only a small uproar from Williams fans - we'd all just be grateful for his return.

I believe he may use Hedwig's theme as sparsely as he did in PoA (which the other composers did in their movies). Besides, he tends to disregard his own themes sometimes for various reasons. Who knows what happens. Yates might insist not to make any references to the motifs and themes from the Harry's childhood adventures as they might seem to him too infantile. I am personally concerned about the Voldemort's theme. It would be a shame if it wasn't included or expanded in DH, on the other hand that music doesn't really fit the serious dark tone of the current chapters for me. It was proper for a mysterious dark wizard form the fairy tales like PS and CoS. I am not sure how it would have worked in GoF and OotP, not to mention HBP and DH.

All keeping in mind that John Williams is yet to be confirmed as composer for Part I or Part II.

All keeping in mind that John Williams is yet to be confirmed as composer for Part I or Part II.

Yes.

Wouldn't it be ironic if this thread reached page 99 and then it's announced that Hooper will come back, after all. :P

Yes.

Wouldn't it be ironic if this thread reached page 99 and then it's announced that Hooper will come back, after all. :P

I don't think he will, which automatically doesn't mean Williams will.

Yes.

Don't you know a joke when you see one?

Yes.

I do, however I find this as ironic as actually possible.

Yes.

I do, however I find this as ironic as actually possible.

Yes, possible only in the sense that "it's NOT impossible."

However, it is VERY VERY VERY unlikely.

Just how not 2 weeks ago it was VERY VERY VERY unlikely that Williams would return. I'm just going to see how this pans out, although I am confident that Hooper won't return, based on his FSM interview.

I feel awful saying this, but just knowing that Hooper won't be back is good enough news for me, regardless of whether JW will return. I still very much enjoy the movies and the score is a big thing for me. Giving another composer the opportunity could be a wonderful thing (assuming these hopes of JW are dashed) and the potential for an amazing score is very great.

If I thought that Hooper could produce something truly remarkable then I'd be sad at his departure. But one good score and one average score is just not enough for me.

Just how not 2 weeks ago it was VERY VERY VERY unlikely that Williams would return

To you maybe.

I thought it at least "somewhat likely" ever since JW expressed his wish to do DH.

What is unlikely? Hooper's return? Yes, it is. But it doesn't assure JW's return. The scheduling conflict (let alone other potential obstacles) is still more possible than just "not impossible". Until I know JW officially gets the job, I try not to excite too much. Nevertheless, I am excited that the likeness of his return is already bigger than ever.

What is unlikely? Hooper's return? Yes, it is. But it doesn't assure JW's return. The scheduling conflict (let alone other potential obstacles) is still more possible than just "not impossible". Until I know JW officially gets the job, I try not to excite too much. Nevertheless, I am excited that the likeness of his return is already bigger than ever.

No, I was talking about Hooper's return.

Chances of JW returning are now 50-50, I would say. I really don't know.

Well if not Williams, then who?

Perhaps we could see who else David Yates/Heyman/Warner Brothers have worked with?

Oh, they had that great Z..zim.. something.. he did that movie Dark Knight for Warner Brothers the year before.. made a bucketload of cash and sold a lot of soundtracks!

ZIMMER!

If and ONLY IF John Williams doesn't come back (I'm praying for his return) then I'd like any of the following to come aboard -

- James Newton Howard (my top choice)

- Bruce Broughton

- Alan Silvestri

- William Ross

- Elliot Goldenthal

- Dario Marianelli

Well... I wouldn't have suggested Marianelli myself, but, I guess he's somewhat proven himself, and I did find the Atonement theme to be rather Harry-Potter-apt. Just not so sure about his darker stuff, whether he'd be any good at bombarding our ears with intense and scary brass phatness, but feel free to prove me wrong with a track name.

Regarding Marianelli, I'm not so sure about his action material (he certainly has a lot of potential for that) but the track in Atonement, Elegy for Dunkirk is really perfect for the emotional scenes IMO. I heard WB had considered him till Yates insisted bringing Nicholas Hooper.

Though my top non-Williams choice will be James Newton Howard! :P

Eh, I'm not a big fan of JNH. He'd be great if Deathly Hallows involved the Potter clan protecting something vital and Howard could write a lovely solo line for some instrument and enshroud it with other effects but keeping the main focus on this one central beautiful theme, but I haven't heard ANYTHING of his (granted, I've only heard a handful of his scores on album) that would warrant a big thematic Hollywood epic seemingly requiring a big phat rich sound. Again, prove me wrong! lol

Mine would be Bruce Broughton. He is the only one I can think of who might write a score as good as PS and PoA. Goldenthal might be interesting too. I am sure his dark stuff would be thrilling. I wouldn't mind David Arnold - his Stepford Wives waltz is potteresque.