John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

I think any similarities in structure of the two themes are more because perhaps JW had the Double Trouble theme in his head when he was writing the Quidditch theme, and so some of the same ideas subconciously transfered to the setpiece. I do not think it was intentional, although I could be wrong.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought Hooper would do the responsible thing and bow out for Williams to return. Good man, you have my respect!

I always thought Hooper would do the responsible thing and bow out for Williams to return. Good man, you have my respect!

First we all demand his head on a stick, and then when he steps down, not even for Williams, we all hail him as a good man. Classic JWFan. Nothing has changed in Williams situation, there's still the scheduling conflict. For all we know James Horner could end up scoring the last two films.

No, something has changed--we now know that the situation is not such that Hooper is signed on for Part I and that's why there was the strange specification of DH Part II in the Q&A.

God I hope Spielberg doesn't decide to make Lincoln at the exact time to screw things up.

So far Spielberg is responsible for scheduling conflicts on 2 Star Wars films and 1 Harry Potter movie ,when he knew perfectly well Williams was doing those films

I think either Tintin or DH could end up as the last great Williams score...but not Lincoln

I think either Tintin or DH could end up as the last great Williams score...but not Lincoln

I still think Episode III will hold that distinction. I just hope if Williams does DH it's better than Indy 4 (which is not a bad score, but certainly not a great one).

I don't understand why there was this confusion if Williams would do one part or both parts to begin with. When Heyman mentioned that scheduling could conflict for Part 2, I think that really just meant that while he could fit Part 1 in his schedule, Part 2 would be the difficult one to make a schedule for, for whatever reasons.

So far Spielberg is responsible for scheduling conflicts on 2 Star Wars films and 1 Harry Potter movie ,when he knew perfectly well Williams was doing those films

Two Potter films, actually. Williams had to leave during COS to do CMIYC, and had to score a very early rough cut of POA because of The Terminal

Lincoln is on hold, Spielberg went to Universal with a $50 million budget and they rejected it. The only thing that is in the way of JW scoring DH is Tintin.

There's always the possibility Spielberg will see a script, wants to direct it, secure financing for it and begin pre-production immediately (I remember being shocked that a fourth Indy was finally underway in early 2007). I think if Spielberg wants to make future movies he either needs to a) be able to compromise on either his 30% profit deal and upfront payment for future deals or b) make the movies he wants to make with Dreamworks, since he owns and co-founded the thing.

I've been a stalwart defender of Hooper's over the last couple of weeks, saying I don't hate his HBP score. I've also been saying to Rich that Hooper will see the professional reasons for Williams finishing what he started - no matter what, Hooper has left a mark on the franchise.

I like Hooper's work, he's a decent composer. His work in the Potter films doesn't have that oomph that Williams and Doyle brought to the franchise, but his Umbridge theme is a work of genius. It's a very simple motif, but it perfectly conveys that character's sense of prim and proper with a sinister side.

I think his work on HBP is more consistent and solid, so he has shown growth and depth after the fifth film.

I find his scores to be serviceable, they do not harm the films at all, but they are not engaging either. I'm glad that he's moving on from the series, but I have nothing against the man or his contribution to films. They worked and had their own voice.

I like Hooper's work, he's a decent composer. His work in the Potter films doesn't have that oomph that Williams and Doyle brought to the franchise, but his Umbridge theme is a work of genius. It's a very simple motif, but it perfectly conveys that character's sense of prim and proper with a sinister side.

Sounds kinda like adventurous pirate music. :P

It almost felt to me that Umbridge's theme was repurposed for this film. The music for Slughorn's class montage sounded like a synthesis of her theme with "The Room of Requirements" for OotP.

"Umbridge's Theme" is indeed great, I love how it seems so intrusive and annoying while at the same time reflecting her quirky characteristics. It seems to gain momentum as the phrase goes on, with no place to breath or take a break of her increasingly oppresive rule. It gets some fantastic variations throughout the film (best is, of course, "Professor Umbridge"), and really has a way of evolving from the annoying, obtrusive, but ultimately harmless feel to the sinsiter and dangerous feel that her character assumes in the later stages of the film.

So basically after 7 pages it comes down to what I and several others have said, if John Williams really wants to score a HP film and Warner Bros truly wants him back, he will score it.

Anything else is pure speculation.

And if Williams does not want to or cannot, then I beg Warner Bros and the producers to offer Bruce Broughton the job.

Yeah, I felt that too. I thought it detracted from Umbridge's character in OotP to bring the theme back to represent Slughorn's potions class - a new theme would have been nice, although there is a tragic flute solo representing Slughorn as the score progresses (best heard in Slughorn's confession, it actually seems like its trying to be Window to the Past). Still, the potion sequence in the film is fun and the music is appropriate, despite the random connection to Umbridge.

I saw this news on AICN and then saw it on the front page with the Hooper update with the forthcoming FSM acticle. With the director stating he's been in talks with Williams, and Hooper bowing out, and the possibility increasing of Williams coming back to finish off the series....my pants have officially tented.

Tim

And if Williams does not want to or cannot, then I beg Warner Bros and the producers to offer Murray Gold the job.

A slight correction. ;)

:P

;)

The Harry Potter news sites are treating Hooper's departure as a rumor until they can get an official confirmation (probably from Cool Music Ltd. who represents Hooper). Which is odd.

Yes, but he can handle 2 movies a year. Besides Tintin will have a rough cut long before the release date

Believe it or not, Williams already started writing for Tintin. I guess he will be able to slip in Deathly Hallows Pt.1 & 2 quite smoothly.

A sneak peek of Tintin will be probably shown at the San Diego ComicCon next week, so I guess that's what Williams was writing.

Perhaps it just the theme for the preview, like he did for Hook and Potter. Still, good to know that.

God I hope Spielberg doesn't decide to make Lincoln at the exact time to screw things up.

I understand you, but you can't mean that seriously. Spielberg has to look for other things. The schedule of his actors, for example, which is more important. JW is hired by Spielberg. JW can choose his own projects. So far, JW has always been loyal to Spielberg, and where he can, he has also committed himself to other projects (HP, SW, etc.)

You mean another one of your your favorite scores. For all we know Lincoln could be JW's sixth and last Oscar, the nest Schindler's List.

I don't understand why there was this confusion if Williams would do one part or both parts to begin with. When Heyman mentioned that scheduling could conflict for Part 2, I think that really just meant that while he could fit Part 1 in his schedule, Part 2 would be the difficult one to make a schedule for, for whatever reasons.

Easy to say that afterwards.

Conrad Pope stated on his Facebook page that he started orchestrating music for Tintin (as well as Silvestri's A Christmas Carol and Desplat's Tree of Life).

So JW has already started working on Tintin? :)

I'm wondering... what does motion capture mean exactly? Will it look like Wall-E visually?? What's the deal?

Oh BTW, I somehow can't see this movie being a tremendous success. It'll make 100 mill. worldwide at best... (I could be wrong, though, of course. Just a feeling.)

I am sure there are others who explain this better than I, but...

Motion capture, as the name implies, is using special technology to capture an actor's performance and then translating to a digital model. Actors are required to wear these "knobs" (not official terminology as far as I know, I just always thought they looked like knobs)on their body ( in the case of films like King Kong, these "knobs"are placed their face, so as to capture facial expressions), which, well, captures their movements and relays it to a computer. So, if a motion capture actor throws a punch, that punch (and whatever else captured by the "knobs") will be then be transferred to a computer, as what could be described as a three-dimensional stick-figure, or a skeleton, more likely. It is then the task of the visual effects team to render that skeleton and transform it into a digital "person" (or whatever is so desired). The theory is that motion capture allows digitally animated characters to have more realistic and nuanced performances as opposed to manual animation. Whether not that is true depends on the viewer, but Robert Zemeckis seems to think so.

Here is a picture of the general process of motion capture.

29pr97t.png

As to whether or not it would look similar to Wall-E...it all depends on the visual approach the director(s, in Tintin's case) want to take. I would imagine that they would try to not stray too far from the look of the comics.

... in which case it probably won't look like Wall-E.

Unfortunately, digital skin and eyes often keep digital characters stuck in Uncanny Valley, making them a bit creepy with their realistic movements but just-not-quite realistic faces (see The Polar Express).

Hopefully they'll stick to a style close to the original character designs, rather than the not-quite-Anthony-Hopkins casting of Beowulf.

I am sure there are others who explain this better than I, but...

Motion capture, as the name implies, is using special technology to capture an actor's performance and then translating to a digital model. Actors are required to wear these "knobs" (not official terminology as far as I know, I just always thought they looked like knobs)on their body ( in the case of films like King Kong, these "knobs"are placed their face, so as to capture facial expressions), which, well, captures their movements and relays it to a computer. So, if a motion capture actor throws a punch, that punch (and whatever else captured by the "knobs") will be then be transferred to a computer, as what could be described as a three-dimensional stick-figure, or a skeleton, more likely. It is then the task of the visual effects team to render that skeleton and transform it into a digital "person" (or whatever is so desired). The theory is that motion capture allows digitally animated characters to have more realistic and nuanced performances as opposed to manual animation. Whether not that is true depends on the viewer, but Robert Zemeckis seems to think so.

Here is a picture of the general process of motion capture.

29pr97t.png

As to whether or not it would look similar to Wall-E...it all depends on the visual approach the director(s, in Tintin's case) want to take. I would imagine that they would try to not stray too far from the look of the comics.

Thanks for that!

Well, I just wanted to know how the movie will look like (if there's been any indication whatsoever so far). Will it look as realistic as King Kong? Will it look semi-realistic like Wall-E? Will it look cartoonish like Polar Express?

I'm really hoping for the Wall-E kind of visual approach.

Unfortunately, digital skin and eyes often keep digital characters stuck in Uncanny Valley, making them a bit creepy with their realistic movements but just-not-quite realistic faces (see The Polar Express and Beowulf).

I have to say that I agree. Still, it can be a very nice tool when used well.

... in which case it probably won't look like Wall-E.

Unfortunately, digital skin and eyes often keep digital characters stuck in Uncanny Valley, making them a bit creepy with their realistic movements but just-not-quite realistic faces (see The Polar Express and Beowulf).

Fortunately, if they keep the cartoon look of the characters (which I am sure they will), that shortcomings of digital technology won't be a problem.

Hi all, I'm new here. Been a fan of maestro Williams for a long time and really excited at the prospect of him hoping to come back to score Deathly Hallows. Fingers crossed! :)

Hi all, I'm new here. Been a fan of maestro Williams for a long time and really excited at the prospect of him hoping to come back to score Deathly Hallows. Fingers crossed! :)

Welcome, DemonStar!

So how many JW albums do you have? And which one's your favorite? (Every newbie gets these questions asked.) :P

Welcome, DemonStar!

So how many JW albums do you have? And which one's your favorite? (Every newbie gets these questions asked.) :P

Hi Josh, I currently have about 20 albums by JW. My first ever was Jurassic Park which I fell in love with immediately as I watched the film. Empire Strikes Back is a close second though I need to get into Star Wars music more. Seven Years In Tibet, Memoirs Of A Geisha, Prisoner Of Azkaban, Indiana Jones and War Of The Worlds are all among my favourites. But by far my all-time favourite is Hook.

Thanks! :P

Whereabouts in India do you hail from?

Whenever I hear India, I can't help thinking about Slumdog Millionaire these days... about Freida Pinto, to be more specific. :)