Star Wars conuinity errors.

Kevin

-The Kessel Run bit (a parsec is a unit of time, not a unit of distance as Han Solo makes it sound to be).

-Ewok vs the Imperial's finest stormtroopers (the biggest logic failing of Return of the Jedi in my opinion).

-Mynock Cave (aren't they walking into a vaccum outside the Falcon?)

I wouldn't call any of those continuity errors. Continuity errors are more like Han's magical change of clothes between when he gets frozen in ESB and thawed in ROTJ. But yes, there are plenty of quasi-mistakes like these. (Regarding the Kessel Run thing...some people have suggested that the trick with that is to figure out a spacetime geometry that indeed reduces the distance as much as possible, making Han's use of the term "parsec" wholly appropriate. I dunno what was going through the brains of Lucas and friends, though.)

-The Kessel Run bit (a parsec is a unit of time, not a unit of distance as Han Solo makes it sound to be).

-Ewok vs the Imperial's finest stormtroopers (the biggest logic failing of Return of the Jedi in my opinion).

Kessel Run = agree

Ewoks vs. Imperials = cough, Vietnam War?, cough

Mynock Cave = technically inside a creature, so it probably would not be a vaccum (although really, the entire idea is rather silly)

Mynock Cave = technically inside a creature, so it probably would not be a vaccum (although really, the entire idea is rather silly)

How do you figure? I doubt that a giant worm that evolved in a vacuum would somehow have air in its esophagus. (In fact, they say one of the worst things you can do if your whole body is exposed to a vacuum is to hold your breath.)

Hey, for that matter...how are they walking around? I'll buy an artificial gravity field inside the Falcon, but this asteroid shouldn't have any real gravity of its own...and if it did, it would be pulling them down the esophagus, not toward the wall of it.

We do forgive a lot.

A parsec is a unit of distance, not a unit of time as Han Solo claims.

Thank you for the correction.

Plus, wouldn't they instantly die going outside the Falcon, because space is a void.

Plus, wouldn't they instantly die going outside the Falcon, because space is a void.

Not instantly - you can survive in a vacuum for a short while, especially in an environment like the digestive tract of a slug, since that would shield you from all the UV rays from the sun that would otherwise give one side of your body a bad sunburn. You wouldn't explode...your blood wouldn't boil...you wouldn't turn into an ice cube. But you would swell up a bit, and you of course wouldn't be able to breathe unless you had an apparatus like the ones they had in ESB.

source

I wouldn't call any of those continuity errors. Continuity errors are more like Han's magical change of clothes between when he gets frozen in ESB and thawed in ROTJ. But yes, there are plenty of quasi-mistakes like these. (Regarding the Kessel Run thing...some people have suggested that the trick with that is to figure out a spacetime geometry that indeed reduces the distance as much as possible, making Han's use of the term "parsec" wholly appropriate. I dunno what was going through the brains of Lucas and friends, though.)

While there are a lot (and I really mean a lot) of continuity errors in SW, if you're refering to Han Solo's appearing and dissapering vest before he gets frozen, that's not a mistake as can be seen here:

Han's missing vest.

Ah, ok. Well if we're going between movies there are even more errors as pretty much every prop is different between films (Vader is the most obvious, the lightsabers, R2)

Anyway, you know what carbonite does to your clothes.

A parsec is a unit of distance, not a unit of time as Han Solo claims.

While a parsec is a unit of distance, Han does not necessarily imply that he's using it as a unit of time.

The shortest distance between any two points is, of course, a straight line, and the shortest distance takes the least amount of time. If you want to get from point A to point B in a big open grassy field the quickest, there is only one solution: you walk straight towards it.

However, what if you're in a very large city, and there are buildings, roads, traffic, limited-access freeways, and maybe a river or two in the way? Then there are different ways to get there. The shortest distance will not necessarily be the quickest, as you could sit in traffic for hours. You could keep track of how long it takes to get there with a stopwatch, since the shortest time will get you there first. But you could also use the trip meter on the odometer in your car, to find another "shortest" way to get there.

Now, what if there is a life or death reason to not take the straightest route between points A and B? Though not explained in the movie (nothing really is), it's been accepted that the Kessel system contains many small black holes. A "Kessel run" through the system cannot just shoot straight through, because the black holes will swallow the ship. Thus, a "Kessel run" of one parsec describes the one parsec long path that Han Solo flew to zigzag around the black holes and survive, which happened to be the shortest path. He did say it was a fast ship.

This isn't something that the movie needs to explain. It's an in-universe reference to an off-camera event or person, just like we never see Captain Antilles for very long. Luke mentions a T-16 without ever explaining that's the small toy he has in his shop. He mentions womp rats without ever seeing them. Half the movie takes place on Tatooine but it's never named. The movie can't stop to explain every single tidbit or it would grind to a halt.

This of course is a revisionist geek explanation. The easy explanation is that in their attempt to sound smart, the writers selected a bad jargon word. Isaac Asimov did the same thing when he created a "positronic brain" for one of his androids. A positron is antimatter, and would cause the android to blow up before it ever thought its first bit.

I hate it when a perfectly awesome-sounding bit of technobabble actually makes no sense - and I'm not being sarcastic. But of course, I also hate overuse of technobabble, which is part of why TOS > TNG. But that's really the wrong universe for this thread.

"Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force" - or tricked into it by an old man, apparently.

"You are reckless" "So was I when you trained me" - what, when you were six years old?

"Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?" "Just a little bit. She died when I was very young." - Yeah, I'm sure we all remember exactly what it was like when we came out of the womb.

"When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi." - Or apparently didn't trust him at all, correctly saw him as a bad influence and only trained him as a promise to your dead master who everyone else disagreed with.

"Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did." - Actually, you stole it from him while he was burning to death. And which idealistic crusade might this be? Following a ridiculous pseudo-religion where any form of attachment is banned?

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." Or it's a bunch of microscopic organisms only present in certain people. Take your pick.

Luke mentions a T-16 without ever explaining that's the small toy he has in his shop.

His real size t-16 is also parked on the background.

I realized this the other day:

I'm very puzled by this gross continuity error: Padme's morals.

She says its human to get angry after anakin tells he he has killed the tusken raiders, putting enfasis on 'even their women and children'.

And then 3 years later she cannot follow anakin's path because he has killed kids...again.

All good examples of how the prequels cheapened the good Star Wars movies.

"Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force" - or tricked into it by an old man, apparently.

Before the prequels came along, and I became a Star Wars nerd, somebody explained to me that basically Vader was sitting at the bar, and the Emperor came along and asked if he wanted to join the Dark Side, and Vader said yeah, ok, and that was that. Palpy's trickery sealed Anakin's fate, but the Dark Side had been digging into him for years. Tales of his awesome power, restrained by the good Jedi, and all his teenage angsts and frustration wormed their way into Anakin, and seduced him.

"You are reckless" "So was I when you trained me" - what, when you were six years old?

That's the weird thing about becoming a Jedi, confounded by the prequels. If a Jedi must have the greatest commitment, why start so young? Typical five and six year olds are often too immature to properly use paintbrushes, which is why we let them use fingerpaints. So now you want kids in the same age bracket to start using mind powers and laser swords? Gimme a break.

"Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?" "Just a little bit. She died when I was very young." - Yeah, I'm sure we all remember exactly what it was like when we came out of the womb.

I don't see this as a problem. Do you think Bail ever told Leia she was adopted? I don't know, but as far as she knew, her "real mother" was Mrs. Organa, until Luke dropped the bomb about her true lineage. She said somehow she's always known, which means the kiss in Echo Base is missing the banjo, but I don't think she remembers Padme. Prequel revisionist history, I guess.

"When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi." - Or apparently didn't trust him at all, correctly saw him as a bad influence and only trained him as a promise to your dead master who everyone else disagreed with.

Amazed? Or scared to death? Training Anakin to become a Jedi was like training a loose cannon to become the armed security guard at a daycare center. I can change, buddy!

"Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did." - Actually, you stole it from him while he was burning to death. And which idealistic crusade might this be? Following a ridiculous pseudo-religion where any form of attachment is banned?

Ben was just perpetuating the myth of Luke's father being the kind-hearted victim of an evil ploy. If Luke knew that the training his father received to become a Jedi had turned him into a twisted evil cyborg, he might never have wanted to become a Jedi. He'd go hide in a corner somewhere and continue his life as a moisture farmer, out of fear for following in his father's footsteps. On the other hand, Ben gained Luke's trust by lying to him, several times. It only cost Luke his...other hand. Great idea!

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." Or it's a bunch of microscopic organisms only present in certain people. Take your pick.

What is light? Is it pure energy? Or does it consist of photons, which are extremely small particles? Depending on which physicist you consult, it's both. Besides, if the Force is created by all living things, what in the living body actually generates the energy field? It's not the liver, it's not the kidneys, it's not even the colon. Maybe it's in the cockle area, maybe even in the subcockle area. Nope, it's the midichlorians. But then Yoda even says it's in the tree and the rock, so what's that about?

A big one: What happened to all the Imperial star destroyers at the end of Return of the Jedi. We see about 10-20 of them when the trap happens but after the Falcon escape the flaming Deathstar II, we only see a ring of rebel ships about the Deathstar (with Endor in the background).

A big one: What happened to all the Imperial star destroyers at the end of Return of the Jedi. We see about 10-20 of them when the trap happens but after the Falcon escape the flaming Deathstar II, we only see a ring of rebel ships about the Deathstar (with Endor in the background).

you never heard about armies withdrawing from battle?

Those things have hyperdrives, and no rebel ship on film has interdictor capabilities (neither does the empire for that matter...)

Those things have hyperdrives, and no rebel ship on film has interdictor capabilities (neither does the empire for that matter...)

But we are never given any indication of that, plus the Rebel General said that "We won't last long against those super star destroyers"

But we are never given any indication of that, plus the Rebel General said that "We won't last long against those super star destroyers"

now thats a continuity error. there was only one SSD. the rest were just casual ISDs...

Not exactly. I popped in the Jedi DVD to be sure. After the Death Star fires for the second time...

General Calrissian: "Yes, I said closer, move as close as you can and engage those Star Destroyers at point blank range."

Admiral Ackbar: "At that close range, we won't last long against those Star Destroyers."

Calrissian: "We'll last longer than we will against that Death Star, and we might just take a few of them with us."

Maybe you've seen a different language translation than the original English, which inserts the word "super" in there, but I don't believe the term "super star destroyer" is ever spoken in the entire trilogy. Even the Executor is simply referred to as "star destroyer" by Leia as they escape Bespin, not "super star destroyer."

Watching the Executor crash into the Death Star in a massive fireball destroyed the command ship, shattered the Imperial chain of command, and demoralized the Imperial troops at Endor. With the shield down, they knew that their Star Destroyers couldn't locate the snub fighters that were about to blow up this Death Star as well, so it was every man for himself, even if it meant deserting the battle. They needed to put as much space between their ships and the explosion to come if they wanted to live to see tomorrow.

It's like when a big ship is sinking. Once you know it's going down, get the hell away from it as fast as you can. If you stay on top or tread water nearby, it's only going to pull you down with it.

Or, you just say that the camera was looking this way, and all the other capital ships had moved off to one side or the other, out of view.

It's like when a big ship is sinking. Once you know it's going down, get the hell away from it as fast as you can. If you stay on top or tread water nearby, it's only going to pull you down with it.

That's a myth actually. I used to believe it myself.

The language of a humanoid race in another time and another galaxy is ENGLISH!!! They even use the word "parsec"! Gimme a break!

Wait! Does that mean Han Solo got lonely and messed around with our ancestors? Maybe Lucas is brilliant after all!

The language of a humanoid race in another time and another galaxy is ENGLISH!!! They even use the word "parsec"! Gimme a break!

Wait! Does that mean Han Solo got lonely and messed around with our ancestors? Maybe Lucas is brilliant after all!

At least Star Trek has the Universal Translator. ;)

Maybe you've seen a different language translation than the original English, which inserts the word "super" in there, but I don't believe the term "super star destroyer" is ever spoken in the entire trilogy. Even the Executor is simply referred to as "star destroyer" by Leia as they escape Bespin, not "super star destroyer."

Ackbar says "super star destroyer" just before they it is destroyed.

Yes, I believe you're right. That makes one usage of the term "super star destroyer." I only watched a few minutes because the World Series was more important, and not up to that point.

Ok, maybe a moon-sized battlestation with a huge nuclear core at its center blowing up is not like a passenger ship sinking down into the ocean. You still don't want to be anywhere within a few radii, because it is going to expand outwards rather dramatically.

In spanish ackbar says super destroyers in the 'we wont last long' sentence.

I supose for lipsync, since 'super destructores' is more similar to 'star destroyers' than 'destructores estelares'.

Not exactly. I popped in the Jedi DVD to be sure. After the Death Star fires for the second time...

General Calrissian: "Yes, I said closer, move as close as you can and engage those Star Destroyers at point blank range."

Admiral Ackbar: "At that close range, we won't last long against those Star Destroyers."

Calrissian: "We'll last longer than we will against that Death Star, and we might just take a few of them with us."

Watching the Executor crash into the Death Star in a massive fireball destroyed the command ship, shattered the Imperial chain of command, and demoralized the Imperial troops at Endor. With the shield down, they knew that their Star Destroyers couldn't locate the snub fighters that were about to blow up this Death Star as well, so it was every man for himself, even if it meant deserting the battle. They needed to put as much space between their ships and the explosion to come if they wanted to live to see tomorrow.

Or, you just say that the camera was looking this way, and all the other capital ships had moved off to one side or the other, out of view.

Ok thank you, but my point about that continuity error is still relevant.

There's one shot during the pod race in TPM that show's Sebulba's pod behind Anakin's with no one driving it. It was mentioned on the DVD commentary. Once you're aware of it you notice it every time, but very few people would have noticed otherwise.

Anytime you have a long gap in between films, in a series, you will probably experience continuity errors. In fact you may experience errors with a sequel done a few years later or if a TV series jumps to the big screen.

As far as the original trilogy goes, I have no problems with anything done in Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back.. My problems with Jedi stem more from a weak script and half ass acting/directing.

I'm not even going to waste my time with the prequels.

I won't blame Marquand because he had shown some skills in a few other films.

The loss of Gary Kurtz may have been the most defining behind the scenes moment in Star Wars history.

• 2 weeks later...

Obi Wan says "so was I, if you remember".

How about "your father wanted you to have this, but your uncle wouldn't allow it". Er, what? As I remember, Vader was too busy getting burned to care who got his bloody lightsabre

Mynok cave??!! They in some spaceworm's stomach!!!

Obi Wan says "so was I, if you remember".

How about "your father wanted you to have this, but your uncle wouldn't allow it". Er, what? As I remember, Vader was too busy getting burned to care who got his bloody lightsabre

Mynok cave??!! They in some spaceworm's stomach!!!

Yes, but the mouth is open when we see them escape, so technically there would be no oxygen.

Oxygen was not the issue. Han, Leia, and Chewie all wore masks when they walked around in the mynock cave, so that's how they got their oxygen.

We have to assume the asteroid is so large it has gravity, allowing them to walk around...just like if they were on a movie set on Earth.

The issue is the vacuum. They fly into the cave from outer space, and then fly out. Since we don't see them pass through a pressure valve in the space slug's throat (which would be too obvious), logic tells us that the pressure (or lack of it) inside the slug's throat is the same as that outside the asteroid. That means that if the extreme cold of space did not kill them first, the lack of pressure would make their bodies explode almost instantly, because nobody wore pressure suits.

Secondly, we don't see any kind of airlock at the Millennium Falcon's boarding ramp. They wore oxygen masks outside the ship to breathe, but they left the ramp open. That means when they run back in, all their air would have been sucked out already, so taking their masks off should have killed them, because they didn't have time to repressurize the Falcon before the slug would eat them.

This unfortunately leads to two assumptions of convenience. First, since the slug survives in deep space, it has some kind of internal force field that keeps moisture wet. Secondly, the Falcon has some kind of force field that keeps the air inside but lets people run in and out.

This is why Star Wars is not high quality science fiction. It's fantasy space opera, which lets it get away with more.

See, the space slug never bothered me, because as Wojo states, within the confines of the fantasy space opera universe, it's not breaking any rules, only the rules of our universe/galaxy which don't really apply because of the fantastic nature of the films and the genre. The other stuff is breaking rules because Lucas is taking already established threads and changing their very nature, and thus breaking the rules of that established galaxy where we know certain things to have happened. Space slugs are one thing, story consistency is another.

See, the space slug never bothered me, because as Wojo states, within the confines of the fantasy space opera universe, it's not breaking any rules, only the rules of our universe/galaxy which don't really apply because of the fantastic nature of the films and the genre. The other stuff is breaking rules because Lucas is taking already established threads and changing their very nature, and thus breaking the rules of that established galaxy where we know certain things to have happened. Space slugs are one thing, story consistency is another.

I agree.

So do I. And not just because I like agreeing with myself.

But before ANY Star Wars tale ever begins, they flat out say "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away." That means the rules of physics and common sense as we know them don't necessary apply anymore. Throw them out. You've got a fantastic story with hyperdrive and aliens, but also magic powers and laser swords.

Bespin. Cloud City is so high in the atmosphere of a gas giant that there should be violent storms and it should be too cold to sustain life, whether you're on the topmost landing platform, or hanging from the bottom. Much like Jupiter. Instead, it's bright and pink and gorgeous. It's like beautiful Oz way up in the sky, except it's controlled by Judas Iscariot himself; paradise can be deceiving.

Each time the Rebels blow up a Death Star, there should be enough nuclear fallout to devastate the moons below. Or at least create rings of junk that mess up the weather systems. Yet the magical bulldozers come and clear out the skies, so our heroes can have award ceremonies and musical cookouts.

We have to assume the asteroid is so large it has gravity, allowing them to walk around...just like if they were on a movie set on Earth.

The issue is the vacuum. They fly into the cave from outer space, and then fly out. Since we don't see them pass through a pressure valve in the space slug's throat (which would be too obvious), logic tells us that the pressure (or lack of it) inside the slug's throat is the same as that outside the asteroid. That means that if the extreme cold of space did not kill them first, the lack of pressure would make their bodies explode almost instantly, because nobody wore pressure suits.

If it really has enough gravity to keep them glued to the ground with about 1g, then it would probably have an atmosphere, no?

If it really has enough gravity to keep them glued to the ground with about 1g, then it would probably have an atmosphere, no?

Look how big the moon is, and it has no atmosphere.

Arguing about the science in Star Wars, a franchise in which faster than light travel is possible and mystical energy fields can be manipulated by the mind? Seriously?

Two things. Firstly, Marian is right - and moreover, the asteroid would have been reshaped into a sphere if it had that much gravity. Secondly, even if the asteroid did have a gravitational field approximating that of the Earth, it would be pulling everything toward the center of the asteroid, not toward the walls of the worm's esophagus. That'd be like standing on the surface of the Earth and having gravity pull you sideways.

The issue is the vacuum. They fly into the cave from outer space, and then fly out. Since we don't see them pass through a pressure valve in the space slug's throat (which would be too obvious), logic tells us that the pressure (or lack of it) inside the slug's throat is the same as that outside the asteroid.

Correct so far...

That means that if the extreme cold of space did not kill them first, the lack of pressure would make their bodies explode almost instantly, because nobody wore pressure suits.

...but here you get into trouble. As I already mentioned in this thread, space does NOT instantly cause you to freeze or explode. Both are common misconceptions, but misconceptions nonetheless. You don't freeze because there's nowhere for the heat to go - space is a really good insulator, actually, since you're surrounded by a lot of nothingness that doesn't have any ability to pull heat away from your body. (However, surface moisture, such as saliva in your mouth, would boil away and produce some sensation of coldness.) You don't explode, either, because your body IS a sort of pressure suit. Not a great one...you'd certainly swell up to the point of having some pain and difficulty being mobile...but you would not turn into Belloq. Myths about your blood boiling are similarly false. No, the biggest issue is that you'd lose consciousness quickly, at which point you'd be helpless - unless you had an oxygen mask, which the characters did. They could survive for a while outside the ship. Not comfortably, but it wouldn't kill them. (I'm assuming these oxygen masks somehow formed a perfect seal withtheir faces and didn't allow the oxygen to escape into the vacuum.) The enclosed environment of the slug would actually be beneficial, since you can get a mighty bad sunburn in space if you're not shielded from radiation from nearby stars.

Secondly, we don't see any kind of airlock at the Millennium Falcon's boarding ramp. They wore oxygen masks outside the ship to breathe, but they left the ramp open. That means when they run back in, all their air would have been sucked out already, so taking their masks off should have killed them, because they didn't have time to repressurize the Falcon before the slug would eat them.

Correct again.

Well I probably got carried away with how technical I was getting, especially with the cold and exploding. I can forgive the gravity shown inside the space slug inside the asteroid, because Star Wars typically doesn't show zero gravity. The asteroid has gravity because it's a movie set, and the filmmakers did not want to incur the cost of showing the Falcon floating around inside the creature's maw.

The Millennium Falcon is certainly not spherical in nature, yet it demonstrates as much comfortable gravity as your living room at home, even though it zips and zags through space with more gusto than a fighter jet. I realize that you could argue it has gravity plates below the floor which somehow keep everything correctly located, like a movie set, and unlike a naturally occurring asteroid floating in deep space. Star Trek uses the same principles, demonstrated in Star Trek VI when they turn the gravity system off.

One thing that has always puzzled me is the physical layout of a Death Star, which I see as a massive contradiction in terms. It's a massive moon-sized sphere which is big enough to have gravity. Are its decks laid out like the surface area of a planet? They would begin near the core and fan out along the radius of the sphere. The surface area of a sphere is 4 * π * r2, so for each deck, the radius increases and each deck moving outward becomes exponentially larger than the one below it. This would make sense based on what it is, and it would mean that all of the towers and "city panels" along its outer shell would resemble towers on Earth.

However, the first good close external shot we get is of the Falcon being pulled into a hangar bay. It looks like it flies straight into the side of a vertical wall. If you imagine that vertical wall being the side of a tower on the outer shell of the Death Star it would be one thing, but the analogy is really that it is flying straight into the Death Star and laying flat as it came in. Indeed when it is in the bay, the door shows straight out into space, not out onto the outer shell of the station. Thus, the deck layout is such that each "chord" of the sphere is a flat deck, with the smallest decks at the poles, which then increase in size until you reach the deck at the equator. This makes sense when looking at the way Death Star II is under construction, with all of its splines extending out into space. Each spline is a deck under construction.

The Millennium Falcon is certainly not spherical in nature, yet it demonstrates as much comfortable gravity as your living room at home, even though it zips and zags through space with more gusto than a fighter jet. I realize that you could argue it has gravity plates below the floor which somehow keep everything correctly located, like a movie set, and unlike a naturally occurring asteroid floating in deep space. Star Trek uses the same principles, demonstrated in Star Trek VI when they turn the gravity system off.

That's exactly right. The Millennium Falcon has artificial gravity that probably doesn't extent beyond the walls of the ship, which is why the ship isn't crushing itself into a planet-like shape over time. But an asteroid that sits out in space for eons with an Earth-like gravitational field is going to be roughly spherical.

One thing that has always puzzled me is the physical layout of a Death Star, which I see as a massive contradiction in terms. It's a massive moon-sized sphere which is big enough to have gravity. Are its decks laid out like the surface area of a planet? They would begin near the core and fan out along the radius of the sphere. The surface area of a sphere is 4 * π * r2, so for each deck, the radius increases and each deck moving outward becomes exponentially larger than the one below it. This would make sense based on what it is, and it would mean that all of the towers and "city panels" along its outer shell would resemble towers on Earth.

However, the first good close external shot we get is of the Falconbeing pulled into a hangar bay. It looks like it flies straight intothe side of a vertical wall. If you imagine that vertical wall beingthe side of a tower on the outer shell of the Death Star it would beone thing, but the analogy is really that it is flying straight intothe Death Star and laying flat as it came in. Indeed when it is in thebay, the door shows straight out into space, not out onto the outershell of the station. Thus, the deck layout is such that each "chord"of the sphere is a flat deck, with the smallest decks at the poles,which then increase in size until you reach the deck at theequator. This makes sense when looking at the way Death Star II isunder construction, with all of its splines extending out intospace. Each spline is a deck under construction.

Another inconsistency, yes, because supposedly the Death Star is mostly NOT built that way. The outer decks are concentric, but most of the interior is built stacked north-south. [source]