Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

I guess Checkov could be killed early in the film by Cumberbatch and that motivates Kirk and Co to go after him, but Pike being the one killed makes a lot more sense. He is basically Kirk's father figure.

It probably doesn't mean anything that Checkov isn't shown in the trailers that much

And I'd like to look at the first teaser again because it may be the lighting but it looks like Chekov has a red shirt.

His appearance is quick. But you'll notice his seat is empty in the newest trailer for most of the bridge shots.

Weird, he's not in the second trailer either!

I too thought he was in at least one of them! Maybe the international trailer?

Director J.J. Abrams promises the sequel to 2009's franchise reboot will have audiences in tears at the end of the film thanks to its message of hope and love triumphing over fear.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Star Trek Into Cheesiness.

Kind of like the Brazil, love conquers all cut?

As for the trailer, loved it! Not as good as the new Superman trailer though.

I still think that brief shot of two people leaving a room with what looks like stasis tubes is Khan. The guy on the right. I also think it might be one of the final scenes of the film to set up another one.

Chekov dying? That seems a bit harsh. Not sure I'd welcome a Star Trek where they kill off for real one of the main characters.
Secondary characters are fair game if need be, but Chekov doesn't have a "Get out of jail free" card like Spock did.

I think it will be a fun action romp, but nothing much greater than that.

If they can manage that, I'll be quite happy about it.

but Chekov doesn't have a "Get out of jail free" card like Spock did.

Which is why they would do it.

Though he was my favorite character in TOS, I might not be able to forgive JJ ;)

And I'd like to look at the first teaser again because it may be the lighting but it looks like Chekov has a red shirt.

His appearance is quick. But you'll notice his seat is empty in the newest trailer for most of the bridge shots.

Chekov is assigned to Engineering for a while in the movie.

I wonder if there is a important reason for him being down there....

"Punishment, ongoing."

I'm still curious because of Abrams statement he wanted us to leave the theatre crying...

in what way, happy sad, sad sad?

There was a wonderful shot of Bones looking at something almost crying in the first trailer.

I wonder if there is a important reason for him being down there....

"Punishment, ongoing."

Because meanwhile Scotty is somewhere else.

Weird, he's not in the second trailer either!

I too thought he was in at least one of them! Maybe the international trailer?

Jason, he can be seen here at 0:43 (and yeah, in red shirt)

Karol

I think the gist of the plot will play out something like this (possible spoilers?)

0. Starfleet/Federation have gone USA paranoid after the events with Rogue Nero. A big chunk of the fleet was obliterated by one crazed man. Organizations like Starfleet Intelligence/Section 31 have been given greater reign to prepare Starfleet for such threats.

1. At some point prior to the film Starfleet Intelligence/Section 31 has found the old Earth augments. With its mandate to protect Earth and the fleet, it begins utilizing a few of the augments (of which Harrison is one) as advanced agents. The giant ship seen in the film is part of the defense project. However there is a lot of resistance to the program from within the Federation/Starfleet.

2. The attack on London and the Starfleet meeting is actually perpetrated by Admiral Marcus, Section 31 in collusion with John Harrison. An "inside job" to convince Starfleet of the necessity of the broad reach of Starfleet Intelligence/Section 31.

3. Harrison is actually playing Admiral Marcus and co. He just wants to bring back Khan. He doesn't care about the Starfleet Intelligence plan (Or he IS Khan...and wants all of his men awake).

4. The film is a set up for the next one. This movie without a doubt will end with a cliffhanger. I'm 99.99% certain.

thanks for the sleeping pill. using an obsure DS9-Enterprise plot device in a rebooted original series character set? that's just wrong. But it's something Trent suggested awhile back I believe,

Jason, he can be seen here at 0:43 (and yeah, in red shirt)
Karol

Ah, there he is!

Weird that that is the only shot he's in out of all 5 trailers...

thanks for the sleeping pill. using an obsure DS9-Enterprise plot device in a rebooted original series character set? that's just wrong. But it's something Trent suggested awhile back I believe,

I never said it was good. Just what I deduce is going to happen.

And don't forget, everything that happened in Enterprise actually still happened in the reboot world!

The timesplit doesn't happen until post-Enterprise pre-TOS, and the first film referred to Archer's dog!

Yes Archer was mentioned in the first film. As we all know it was a couple of decades after Enterprise is where the timeline split.

Not sure if J.J. would impliment Secion 31 into the films but it would be nice. They were organized since the birth of the Federation and I could see Starfleet having such an organiziation.

Sisko: "As for Secion 31, that's a little more coplicated. Starfleet Command doesn't acknowledge its existance, but they don't deny it either. They simply said, "They'd look into it" and get back to me."

That was from the DS9 episode Inquisition. Odo even commented saying he wasn't surprised that an organiation would exist in Starfleet. Every great power has such an organization. The Romulan's have the Tal'Shiar, the Cardassians had the Obsidian Order, etc....

Even if it's not Section 31. I don't think Peter Weller/Admiral Marcus is a protagonist.

The giant badass stealth ship could not be built without higher ups in Starfleet knowing.

I know. Modern Movie Syndrome at its worst. Take a positive and fun concept and suck the positive and fun elements out of it.

Sure I understand it. Shock value and everything. But I hate it.

Here's to hoping they don't feel the need to resort to such low means of causing audience response.

They could, after all, also try to gain audience response by making a fun, good and entertaining film.

Or am I being silly now?

That's not new I don't think...maybe to you!

Re: Clip

Watching the clip reminds me what an incredible cast these guys have put together. Even if the story sucks...this crew is worth the ticket price.

That's what annoys me, the cast is cool. They better don't start ruining shots at it.

The other day I was daydreaming on a show with around 10 episodes a year with this cast and that looked like these two films and I kept thinking, crap, the world of TV is missing out. And I'm not a Trekkie at all.

There you go, Spock said it. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." The film is definitely Khan-related. And based on the clip, I'll find myself occasionally cringing at the camera work in addition to the writing. Still looks like a generally fun action flick though.

Good points, but I still think they put that line in the opening scene for a reason. As I see it, Orci and Kurtzman are just smart enough to establish the themes of their story early on, but not creative enough to invent a compelling bad guy by themselves. If it's not Khan, it'll be another unstoppable mad man like the Joker / Silva / Mandarin. Every film wants to be TDK nowadays.

Good points, but I still think they put that line in the opening scene for a reason. As I see it, Orci and Kurtzman are just smart enough to establish the themes of their story early on, but not creative enough to invent a compelling bad guy by themselves. If it's not Khan, it'll be another unstoppable mad man like the Joker / Silva / Mandarin. Every film wants to be TDK nowadays.

If the trailers are any indication Harrison won't be a madman and he won't be unstoppable. The Mandarin isn't like that either.

What ARE they wearing???

Supposedly some swimsuits. The have the ship underwater, because now it's not only capable of atmospheric flight on Titan, but also on Earth like gravity and is able go underwater like a submarine.

By the way, all the online commenters complaining about the crew looking at the screen are hilarious. There a shot showing there's things on the screen about the volcano.

Though he was my favorite character in TOS, I might not be able to forgive JJ ;)

coudn't you just say he was my favorite character in Star Trek? you because it's the only show actually called Star Trek....

Because since 2009 you have to clarify if you mean the classic TV show or Abrams' reboot movie. This disdain for the TOS acronym is your personal high horse, and it's rather tiring.

really Wojo, because how many times have I actually said that? and please be exact, you OCD types should always be precise.

I want numbers, and dates, or dates and numbers, however you need to quantify it.

Supposedly some swimsuits. The have the ship underwater, because now it's not only capable of atmospheric flight on Titan, but also on Earth like gravity and is able go underwater like a submarine.

Makes some measure of sense, I suppose. Don't much like it at the moment though; looks weird. Why would you wear a swimsuit on the bridge anyway?

There are a handful of spoiler free reviews of Star Trek: Into the Darkness, just kidding, Star Trek Into Darkness online now since it's premeire. I'm not providing links, go find them yourself, but I'm also betting there will be some spoiler laced reviews popping up soon.

be careful out there, you may find more than you bargained for.

Yea, there are all kinds of reviews online now.

Are people hear going to want to discuss the identity of the villain and the storyline of the film before you see it? Should I create a separate SPOILERS ALLOWED thread?

Yea, there are all kinds of reviews online now.

Are people hear going to want to discuss the identity of the villain and the storyline of the film before you see it? Should I create a separate SPOILERS ALLOWED thread?

yeah and allow this one to remain free.

it give people the choice to know or not.

Makes some measure of sense, I suppose. Don't much like it at the moment though; looks weird. Why would you wear a swimsuit on the bridge anyway?

They just got out of the water, I think, and ran to the bridge.

Thinking back, that sequence with Scotty stuck in the pipes is actually quite ridiculous, isn't it?