FSM to issue 2 disc set of Poltergeist later this year.

Ollie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of them really, but 'Rebirth' is amazing. It's a fine, fine score.

Waitaminute--I said "The Light" was one of Goldsmith's finest moments, but I think I meant "Rebirth." The one where she goes into the closet after Carrie Ann, and they come falling through the ceiling (now that moment is a highlight).

- Uni

FSM should tackle Gremlins instead - FAR MORE in need of a re-release than Poltergeist. Rhino's CD is a superb presentation of the score.

I'll only buy FSM's Poltergeist if it's an SA-CD. The Great Train Robbery SA-CD from Varese Sarabande was a fine example of what can be produced from master tapes that are preserved properly.

While I am excited about POLTERGEIST getting a new release, and will buy it for sure, I really DO hope there is a release, somewhere, for GREMLINS this year, too. Like BACK TO THE FUTURE was last year, it is way overdue for a proper release. The tracks on the OST with the songs just doesn't cut it at all.

Considering all the great stuff that 2010 has given us already or what we know is coming, I don't mind waiting till 2011 or so for Gremlins! With the rate that these big releases are happening it feels like we will have so little to look forward to in the not-so-distant future, and that's sad in a way!

FSM should tackle Gremlins instead - FAR MORE in need of a re-release than Poltergeist. Rhino's CD is a superb presentation of the score.

They may well be. We don't know when this will be released, it could be December for all we know. That leaves a lot of possibilities inbetween. Unless Lukas has issued an actual release date I haven't seen yet.

And for all we know, La-La Land is covering 90's Goldsmith by issuing the old Big Screen Records catalogue, which pretty much means we get DENNIS THE MENACE and FOREVER YOUNG in complete form this year.

So no drought for good 'ole middlebrow Jerrys till December (though i would fancy the post FIRST KNIGHT stuff like GHOST AND THE DARKNESS a tad more): :P

Poltergeist won't be issued in SACD.

The day Islands in the Stream was released, Lukas posted that there were two more Goldsmith's coming before the summer. I'm guessing one of them will be Poltergeist.

I'm almost willing to bet we will see Gremlins this year from one of the labels. My money would be on FSM.

These things take time, we just have to be patient. It's pretty obvious that were are going to get a lot of goodies this year and in the coming ones as well.

I was interested in LaLaLand's comments about the new deal they have with Sony.

Don't forget though, Hook is a Spielberg film and the CD release might involve Williams.

I haven't seen the Hook CD here in Mexico in a while, but that's no surprise, however it is available on iTunes from Sony, so I'd say they still have the rights. I think it'll still be a while before we see Hook. And if Williams does get involved, whenever they do it, we should start preparing for the "it's good we're getting something new, but it's not what we wanted and it's not complete" scenario.

I have to re-listen to Poltergeist. I only have an old CD-R of it. I know that I liked the End Titles and the track "The Light". Are there any other tracks that are a "must" listen for me?

All of them really, but 'Rebirth' is amazing. It's a fine, fine score.

Twisted Abduction is the one cue I'd really love to hear live.

Right now, outside of Lucasfilm, Spielberg and Williams, I believe we are going to see a great majority of stuff we've wanted.

Unless it's damaged or missing.

I would love to see an expanded Explorers.

You and me both. Such a great score.

Ditto me as well ("tritto". . . ?). Explorers got more decent treatment than a lot of 80's Goldsmith, but I could use a bigger dose.

- Uni

Yeah, let's hope JW is NOT involved whatsoever with any future release of Hook. We'd get all the same alternates from the original CD with a few new tracks, cues not correctly merged, the music sped up and the wrong pitch and no interesting liner notes.

Oh....this year is going to be soooooo expensive!!!!!!! laugh.gif

Oh, come on, Greg, who cares, it's "Poltergiest", possibly J.G.'s finest achievement! It is certainly in my personal J.G. top 3 (after "The Final Conflict", and "Star Trek: T.M.P." since you asked). In importance, this release really is up there with "Black Sunday", and the - hopefully - complete "Spartacus", which should make all self-respecting film fans wet themselves just thinking about it. I'm off, now, to change my trousers!