Amistad?

Kevin

Can you give me the quick low-down, if this score is worth buying and why? Or why shouldn't I buy this score?

Filmtracks gave it four stars

MMUK gave it five stars

Movie-Wave gave it three stars

Soundtrack Express gave it four stars.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main theme is pleasantly festive and simple - I like it, although it may not be to everyone's taste. A fair amount of the score is pretty low-key, with some darker stuff featuring male choir and low strings and whatnot. Hardly Williams' most exciting score, but not bad at all. Without knowing more about your tastes, I can't really say whether I'd recommend it or not, though.

I'm not so sure about it as to recomend it as a blind buy, but IMHO, Dry your tears africa is worth it, much like hymn of the fallen is worth in Saving private ryan.

in this one you have also cinque's theme, that is nice irrc.

but i say, judge for yourself, take a sample from youtube. Search 'dry your tears, afrika' and 'cinque's theme'

I'd find a way to preview it. There are some outstanding tracks, but as DM said there's also a lot of lower-key stuff which doesn't hold my interest personally so you'll want to see if it works for you. Main theme is very noble and beautiful though.

Although if nothing otherwise grabs you, buy 'Dry Your Tears' - a completely addictive track.

Dry Your Tears, Afrika

Cinque's Theme

The Long Road to Justice

Three awesome themes. Three awesome concert pieces. Rest of the score uses them well and appropriately. Awesome score.

I'm listening to the score for the first time in a little while, and I want to reiterate what others are saying - it really is worth buying. I'd forgotten how good some of the other themes besides the delightful "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" are. Again, not my favorite Williams score, but still quite good.

a lot of lower-key stuff which doesn't hold my interest personally

This. However, it's definitely worth getting. I'm sure it's dirt cheap anyway. The patriotic underscore for Adams is really nice. "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" is good, but I wish they'd included an instrumental-only version as the reprise. I don't dislike the lyrics, however.

It really displays JW's talent and diversity as a composer.

Which I've never liked that much... but E.T. is a film about a kid who befriends an alien, so I just sort of take it and roll with it. I heard Amistad received rather sour reviews for painting everything in a sentimental way.

I feel ya. E.T. was a little TOO schmaltzy for my tastes for a long while, despite its undeniable greatness, but it's grown on me. In any case, Amistad (the score) doesn't usually seem overly sentimental to me...seems to work pretty well, though I haven't seen the film.

Sorry Alex, you're on your own!

This is a score which is always overlooked, very patriotic and noble brass writing (typically exceptional playing from Tim Morrison / Jim Thatcher) and the strings are very lush and warm.

The scene in the court room when Cinque stands up and proclaims freedom (or something like that) is beautifully scored (using the main Dry Your Tears motif).

Get it Kevin, you'll not be disappointed!

"Tame" and "polite" are definitely good (if rather strong) words to describe parts of this score. I just happen to be fortunate enough to not be bothered by it.

I'm sure if most people thought this was the pinnacle of film scoring, I'd hate it. :)

I feel ya. E.T. was a little TOO schmaltzy for my tastes for a long while, despite its undeniable greatness, but it's grown on me. In any case, Amistad (the score) doesn't usually seem overly sentimental to me...seems to work pretty well, though I haven't seen the film.

Much of E.T. is too schmaltzy for me, but then these days I find a tender piano more effective than strings.

Or maybe Doyle's cringeworthy death cue in GoF is making me remember things that aren't there.

I enjoy the nobler tracks in Amistad. It's the really low key stuff where it approaches dissonance that I go off JW beause it starts to sound dated.

A couple of good tracks. The rest is JW on his Americana autopilot. That's it.

Karol

I'm afraid that I'm inclined to agree with Crocodile. "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" sounds as if it was written to be performed at a political rally to be attended by Nelson Mandela, or someone of that ilk. The rest is effective, but...well, that's about it.

IMO, a batter "historical" score is "Rosewood", with the wonderful "Look Down, Lord".

A couple of good tracks. The rest is JW on his Americana autopilot. That's it.

Karol

Not really. There are only 3 Americana tracks and none of them can be called "on autopilot" since they were written before Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot and American Journey. One of them (Long Road to Justice) actually sounds exceptionally inspired. The rest (app. >10 tracks) is African-favoured JW, very original, fresh-sounding and with more than few stand-out moments (Dry Your Tears Africa, Capture of Cinque, Crossing the Atlantic, Cinque's Theme, Cinque's Memories of Home, Middle Passage, 4th of July).

But then JFK, Nixon, Born in the Fourth of July and countless concert pieces were already there. ;)

But that's not the point, really. I'm just tired of hearing noble solos by Tim Morrison.

Karol