Music of War's cinema

untouchables

Who is the best composer for war movies?

hard to decide, but I think that Maurice Jarre is the best in that field because his filmography and style were very rich with war themes:

Lawrence of Arabia- Dr Zhivago- Paris burning- The Man Who Would Be King-the Message- the Lion of Desert-Sunshine and his last movie Uprising.

I think that his success come from his versatile use of percussion.

Other good composers for war themes are: JW, Miklos Rozsa, Alan silvestri and Hans Zimmer.

war1.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the fact that it wasn't written for the film, one of the most effective war film scores I've ever heard is Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" in Platoon.

Is Lawrence of Arabia a war movie? I mean, it has battle scenes and all but...

Yeah, why not mention Star Wars then too...?

Anyway; I think Williams captured the loss and tragedy very well with his themes for Born On The Fourth Of July, Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. I find these emotionally much more interesting than some of the other more generic and stereotypical war scores mentioned.

Ron Goodwin.

Ohh, Greg, this is straight out of left field, but I am inclined to agree with you. "Where Eagles Dare" is fantastic!

Despite the fact that it wasn't written for the film, one of the most effective war film scores I've ever heard is Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" in Platoon.

...except it was first used in "The Elephant Man".

Sorry, Elmo, "Lawerence Of Arabia" is defifitely NOT a war movie, and neither is "Patton" (yes, I do Mean "Patton", and not "Platoon"), for that matter.

Does that make it less effective for Platoon? :D

Sorry, Elmo, "Lawerence Of Arabia" is defifitely NOT a war movie, and neither is "Patton" (yes, I do Mean "Patton", and not "Platoon"), for that matter.

It was mentioned in the original post. I don't think it's a war movie.

Anyway; I think Williams captured the loss and tragedy very well with his themes for Born On The Fourth Of July, Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. I find these emotionally much more interesting than some of the other more generic and stereotypical war scores mentioned.

To suggest that SPR is a better war movie score then scores like Where Eagles Dare, Patton, Operation Crossbow etc...etc... is just psuedo-intellectual twaddle.

And Schindlers List is not a war score, nor is it a war movie.

To suggest that SPR is a better war movie score then scores like Where Eagles Dare, Patton, Operation Crossbow etc...etc... is just psuedo-intellectual twaddle.

You still can't really read can you? :thumbup:

I think Delerue's original cue is just as powerful, if not better.

yes, I has even war muisic collection that include themes such Lawrence of arabia and the English Patient.

Lawrence of Arabia is historic and war movie.

Uprising is last movie war of Maurice Jarre (2001).

Well my favorite war scores are:

Tora Tora Tora!

Patton

Saving Private Ryan

Where Eagles Dare

The Green Berets

Glory

Force 10 From Navarone

Platoon - Delerue's original score

Between Heaven And Hell

In Harm's Way

Band Of Brothers

Midway

These are off the top of my head.

Who is the best composer for war movies?

The question quickly brought the thought that it depends on how war is being portrayed, and other posters have commented on that too it seems. Lots of the movies actually made during WWII, were also propaganda to keep moral up, and I think that shows in some of the scores from that era. Heroic, jaunty marches, etc.

For me, James Horner is probably one of the best composers in recent times for battle music. He has written some fabulous stuff for battles scenes in movies that are wholly battle or just have battle scenes. Aliens,Braveheart,Troy,WROT,etc. He manages to combine adrenaline pumping thrill with the screeching wreckless horror of it all, somehow. And even manages to get the soaring emotional heroic stuff in between all of it, too.

I think of the music in

. The exact part I refer to, begins at 1:53 and comes to this spine chilling part at 1:59 where Hector and Patroclus begin circling each other in a face off. I remember the music in this scene absolutely put my hair on end, when I watched the movie in the cinema. Horner really captured something special there. The music was exciting, heroic, yet also saturated in dread.

Another great part is the famous "We are LIONS!" moment when Achilles and his Myrmidons storm the beach. Horner's clever slide into wreckless abandon. It begins at 0:23 and is another moment that made my hair stand on end.

Stuff like that aside, I also like the more unusual scores such as Roy Budd's score for 1978's The Wild Geese. Some of it is very British military in its marchy jaunt.

I also think Zimmer's work on The Last Samurai,had some very impressive glory orientated moments.

, Final Charge, etc

It's because I never wasted my time on any of those scores.

And by time, I mean downloading time, because I certainly haven't the money to buy random Zimmers.

Does that make it less effective for Platoon? :P

The first man who says "a woman's lips are like a red, red rose" is a genius. The second man who says "a woman's lips are like a red, red rose", is an idiot.

Well my favorite war scores are:

Tora Tora Tora!

Patton

Saving Private Ryan

Where Eagles Dare

The Green Berets

Glory

Force 10 From Navarone

Platoon - Delerue's original score

Between Heaven And Hell

In Harm's Way

Band Of Brothers

Midway

These are off the top of my head.

Yoy forgot "A Bridge Too Far".

I enjoy Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Rescue Dawn and probably others. What I enjoy about war scores is they tend to be very emotional and/or patriotic, not a lot of action.

But does anyone else find The Pacific incredibly generic? The main theme is played over and over on Sky over here, and it's one of the most generic sequence of notes I've ever heard.