Elfman / Burton Box Set Coming.

Ollie

Seems like a nice token (and yes, of course I'd be reacting differently if this were a set I was obsessed with ;)) but yes, Concord-style wording plagues again.

I still sort of hope the separate scores might be available, maybe digitally. I only want the Sleepy Hollow bonus tracks and I'll gladly pay a few ££.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well once again, I think the wording could have been better for this.

When it was announced that there was going to be a signed, bonus disc, most people probably assumed (and rightly so) that it would include different material that what was already included.

Had WB announced that the bonus disc would be a "Best Of", including music already in the set but with exclusive artwork and signed by Elfman, people might not have gotten upset.

Yeah, I agree. True, WB didn't have to send out this Bonus CD, but they shouldn't have raised our hopes and been purposely unclear, most likely knowing that everybody expected exclusive music. That said, I'm still looking forward to this CD as a teaser and for the autograph. I haven't heard a note of Elfman since September, so this will be a nice relief from that drought.

Disappointing. That's stuff that's already In the Box not to mention we got that on their original albums. (The Main titles aand end credits at least.) I've done that b4 where I listen to Elfman's main titles for the Burton films for fun. This ain't nothing special except for the autograph. IMO,there should've been music that they couldn't fit on some of the albums. Like POTA, for example. I remember Elfman said he wrote music for the war scene and Burton liked the " Ape suite #2 " (which was originally written for the album, b/c the music wasn't finished yet for the movie) better and played that with the scene instead. I'd ve liked to hear his original version of that scene and other stuff they couldn't fit on some of the albums. I guess we're never going to hear Elfman hum the Batman theme on tape recorder in the bathroom of an airplane. Oh well. At least the autograph will be worth it.

Oh yeah I also notice they're using the original album edits of Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish main title. Instead of using the complete Main Title. That doesn't make sense. When I hear main titles I'd like to hear it in it's entirety. Not an edited version. (that really ticked me off about the Spider-man score album b/c the song album had the complete main title, but the scvore album didn't) They could've at least got that right. That's proof that this was really released for the autograph which was fine but if the autograph was the only thing special about the bonus disc . Then they could've had Elfman signed the certifcates or the book or the dvd. Sorry about this rant and whining. I'm still excited for Elfman's autograph and the box ,dvd, and book itself.

It looks like they've used the original album edits for everything.

They've made and shipped this completely free, so while yes, they did promise something 'exclusive' and it's not, you still have a nice compilation signed by Elfman.

Had this been a box set I was investing in, and therefore having the shoe on the other foot, I'd be merely bloody impatient right about now :P

From what I understand this CD is just a small compensation for the delays. It's a last minute addition and going again through the process of licensing stuff would have been just too expensive.

Karol

Which is asinine. We went through this with the Indiana Jones set, although with that I actually cared about it, and they also extended or changed some album tracks. Even the Star Wars Anthology, which was faithful to the original album edits, "fixed" and extended certain things. From what I understand, this set is like taking all the original CD issues (officially available for dirt cheap except Pee-Wee, the holy grail) and adding a few tracks and some bonus CDs. It actually comes off like a ridiculous scam for the price they demand.

Disappointing. That's stuff that's already In the Box not to mention we got that on their original albums. (The Main titles aand end credits at least.) I've done that b4 where I listen to Elfman's main titles for the Burton films for fun. This ain't nothing special except for the autograph. IMO,there should've been music that they couldn't fit on some of the albums. Like POTA, for example. I remember Elfman said he wrote music for the war scene and Burton liked the " Ape suite #2 " (which was originally written for the album, b/c the music wasn't finished yet for the movie) better and played that with the scene instead. I'd ve liked to hear his original version of that scene and other stuff they couldn't fit on some of the albums. I guess we're never going to hear Elfman hum the Batman theme on tape recorder in the bathroom of an airplane. Oh well. At least the autograph will be worth it.

Oh yeah I also notice they're using the original album edits of Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish main title. Instead of using the complete Main Title. That doesn't make sense. When I hear main titles I'd like to hear it in it's entirety. Not an edited version. (that really ticked me off about the Spider-man score album b/c the song album had the complete main title, but the scvore album didn't) They could've at least got that right. That's proof that this was really released for the autograph which was fine but if the autograph was the only thing special about the bonus disc . Then they could've had Elfman signed the certifcates or the book or the dvd. Sorry about this rant and whining. I'm still excited for Elfman's autograph and the box ,dvd, and book itself.

Who would actually want a recording of Elfman humming? Would you actually listen to that over and over? This is a last minute bonus to compensate for production delay.

Who would actually want a recording of Elfman humming? Would you actually listen to that over and over? This is a last minute bonus to compensate for production delay.

Well I know you wouldn't after all you only listen to albums 3-4 times and that's it. Anyways I was only suggesting something that's actually bonus material and not stuff that's in the box and on the original album releases. Besides I was partly joking. I know Elfman wouldn't want anybody hearing that recording. I'm just saying there could've been alot more thought put into this. It was only an excuse to get Elfman's autograph, which I'm fine with. But they could've had him sign the book, or dvd, or the certificate. If they wanted Elfman's autograph added to this. Save a thousand discs for something else unless it's more unreleased Elfman music from Burton's movies. Like the original Elfman POTA war cue I mentioned earlier.

Which is asinine. We went through this with the Indiana Jones set, although with that I actually cared about it, and they also extended or changed some album tracks. Even the Star Wars Anthology, which was faithful to the original album edits, "fixed" and extended certain things. From what I understand, this set is like taking all the original CD issues (officially available for dirt cheap except Pee-Wee, the holy grail) and adding a few tracks and some bonus CDs. It actually comes off like a ridiculous scam for the price they demand.

I was talking about the bonus CD, which appears to use album edits. That's got nothing to do with the price of the set.

I assume the actual set has the original issues plus bonus tracks where needed, in which case, I see no problem.

Yea I read that after I posted here. No one really has mentioned anything about the music or sound quality yet

I think most are mad at the contents. ;)

And MV, in my opinion, has pretty much confirmed more separate releases from the Elfman box.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=74978&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=285#bottom

As well as some other goodies I expect to see from LaLaLand in 2011.

My guess is that La La will continue working with Elfman on complete releases, but I can't imagine that they'll be able to get all of them out there. I think especially that rights issues w/ Disney would be sticky to work with re: Nightmare Before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland.

I would be a little upset if most of the contents of the Elfman/Burton box got superior releases from LLL. Not at anyone in particular - I applaud LLL for making these releases more accessible and I applaud WB for making this massive boxset...but I would be upset with the situation.

indy4 - still waiting for his Bonus CD

This the main reason I didn't buy it. The LaLaLand Batman releases have more material, don't they? I expected some of these to be released separately, or already in the works by the various labels.

I would have bought it for $200 or so, but the $500 was crazy. I don't want or need that giant zoetrope

I agree with Jason. The set definitely is not worth $500 and there's no way the Batman material on the Elfman / Burton set is superior to LLL's. LLL's versions of those two scores are fully 100% complete.

I would have bought it for $200 or so, but the $500 was crazy. I don't want or need that giant zoetrope

I agree with Jason. The set definitely is not worth $500 and there's no way the Batman material on the Elfman / Burton set is superior to LLL's. LLL's versions of those two scores are fully 100% complete.

(Y)

Not counting the fact 16 separate CD's of the same material would cost $320.

Karol

I would be a little upset if most of the contents of the Elfman/Burton box got superior releases from LLL. Not at anyone in particular - I applaud LLL for making these releases more accessible and I applaud WB for making this massive boxset...but I would be upset with the situation.

indy4 - still waiting for his Bonus CD

Chances are, they will. Musically, anyway. The ones that matter.

I'm not the guy to ask about sound quality, so I really couldn't tell you. And the one CD that I'm told has the worst OST as far as sound quality goes - Pee Wee - is the one that I don't own. Sorry!

I can say that the Suite is great, and the selection is good considering there was no new material. The Beetlejuice with Voiceover is almost identical to the original track, just a small little change in the very beginning.

I'm thinkg about selling mine too. I've already got a buyer for the USB, for $125, so if I made another $305 off this disc then the set would only cost a little over $100 for me, including shipping.

Got the same email from Amazon, but I'm glad for the delay. I'm playing for several musicals in February so I'll have some hefty pay checks, so I guess I won't have to cancel the order afterall!