Elfman / Burton Box Set Coming.

Ollie

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phew - I was worried there for a minute - if Jason doesn't know about it, it usually isn't true! :)

Can you list the extra stuff, Koray?

OOOOH!! What music is it?

Haha, no one knows yet! Fill us in Koray!

I had decided to keep my amazon order afterall (it doesn't hurt that I'm only paying $330 for it), it has a delivery date of April 12th, I can hardly wait myself!

And here I thought it would keep getting pushed back until June. ;)

Well to all those who ordered, I hope you enjoy it.

Just don't get upset when more scores from that set start getting individual releases. ;)

Just don't get upset when more scores from that set start getting individual releases. ;)

No kidding, I wouldn't be surprised if LLL releases complete or nearly complete versions of some of those scores.

I mean they all ready have for Batman and Batman Returns but still...

I'm still unboxing everything lol, and emailing myself the pictures.

Only disappointment so far is that there's no instruction as to how to set up the zoetrope. When you take the lid off the music starts playing, and inside is a roll of all the images that are supposed to spin around. I haven't read Elfman's 2-page note yet, so maybe there's some explanation there.

First pictures:

TheBox.jpg

OpeningTheTop.jpg

FrontSide.jpg

This bitch is huge! Roughly the same size as the ottoman it sits on!

USB DRIVE DISC 16 #

FILM TRACK TITLE TIME

1 28

TIM BURTON'S THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS*

Snakey (Worktape) 3:44

2 29

Reprise (Early Demo) 1:16

3 30

Oogie Boogie - Alt. Melody (Demo) 1:50

4 31

Mayor Theme (Demo) 1:26

5 32

Jingle Bells :14

6 33

Here Comes Santa Claus :25

7 34 SLEEPY HOLLOW* Themes (Demos) 4:09

8 35 SLEEPY HOLLOW* More Dreams (alt version) 1:20

9 36 PLANET OF THE APES* Ape Suite (orchestra only) 2:44

11 37 BIG FISH* Hoe Down 1:58

12 38 CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Gloop Takes a Plunge 1:29

13 39 CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Everlasting Gobstopper :48

14 40 CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Eye on the Prize :40

15 41 CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Augustus Gloop (Early Demo) 2:03

16 42 CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Augustus Gloop (Instrumental Demo) 2:28

17 43 CORPSE BRIDE* Erased (Alt Vocal) 1:56

18 44 CORPSE BRIDE* Unused Bride Theme (worktape) 1:00

19 45 ALICE* Titles :46

20 46 ALICE* Parapet 1:21

21 47 EDWARD SCISSORHANDS BALLET* Kim's Music Box (Unused Score Demo) :37

23 48

THE DANNY ELFMAN AND TIM BURTON 25TH ANNIVERSARY MUSIC BOX

The Danny Elfman and Tim Burton 25th Anniversary Music Box Suite

3:02

* previously unreleased

AWESOME, especially the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff

Didn't King Mark, or somebody here really want the Alice main titles too?

Awesome. I just love that they put that additional music on the USB key. What a fantastic-looking package too. This is kind of a dream-project for me... I can only imagine a Williams/Spielberg project release like this.

Thanks for all the pictures!

I have yet to really dig through the book, but I skimmed it and it does indeed look fantastic. The USB is amazing on its own. It's an iTunes just for this box, and it took about 5 minutes to rip everything off it onto my computer. Very useful.

What format are the files on the stick - mp3? m4a?

Can you just copy them off directly without using the built-in interface?

5 minutes? Wow! And glad to hear the book looks good! :D

bowdown Congrats dude!! Listened to any of the new stuff? How's the quality? And any fun stuff worth mentioning?

Of course, you only just got it! :lol: I need to calm down!

Ah shit, I forgot to check the bit rate. They're 192, I'm gonna have to go through and rip them all now! Oh well, it'll be fun to look through each CD extensively. In regard to your question about the individual booklets, there are none. They're kind of like mini-LP replicas. Cardboard sleeve with Burton's artwork and track listing, and inside is a folded sheet of paper with the original OST artwork and a note from Elfman with the CD in between. Not the best storage system.

You can't rip them straight off the drive. You open up the interface and you can go through and open up each album. There you can choose to save each track individually or conveniently hit the save all button and it'll copy it to a folder of your choice in seconds.

Though already posted, here is a cleaner version of the listing of the BONUS TRACKS found on the end of "NOTES AND NOTIONS/DISC 16" on the Skeleton Key USB DRIVE:

Snakey (Worktape) 3:44

Reprise (Early Demo) 1:16

Oogie Boogie - Alt. Melody (Demo) 1:50

Mayor Theme (Demo) 1:26

Jingle Bells :14

Here Comes Santa Claus :25

SLEEPY HOLLOW* Themes (Demos) 4:09

SLEEPY HOLLOW* More Dreams (alt version) 1:20

PLANET OF THE APES* Ape Suite (orchestra only) 2:44

BIG FISH* Hoe Down 1:58

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Gloop Takes a Plunge 1:29

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Everlasting Gobstopper :48

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Eye on the Prize :40

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Augustus Gloop (Early Demo) 2:03

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY* Augustus Gloop (Instrumental Demo) 2:28

CORPSE BRIDE* Erased (Alt Vocal) 1:56

CORPSE BRIDE* Unused Bride Theme (worktape) 1:00

ALICE* Titles :46

ALICE* Parapet 1:21

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS BALLET* Kim's Music Box (Unused Score Demo) :37

THE DANNY ELFMAN AND TIM BURTON 25TH ANNIVERSARY MUSIC BOX

The Danny Elfman and Tim Burton 25th Anniversary Music Box Suite

3:02

* previously unreleased

That's a shame actually - about the system with the CD's! Are there liner notes or only a note for each album?

I guess every story worth telling is included in the book anyway...

I like the idea about ripping each CD, it's fun to go through everything as you import it. :D

No, but that's just a compilation of all the main titles, so it's all there. The way I see it, it was a way to tease those who were waiting, and get us Elfman's autograph in the process.

And yes, there is a note from Elfman about each score.

Yep, and I just popped in Pee-Wee and I have to enter in all the information. This is going to hurt. :lol:

Make sure you do it right. I'd hate to have to do it all myself when mine arrives. ;)

Take one for the team!

Serioulsy though, thanks for posting all the info on the set!

Thanks for posting a cleaner tracklist!

I like the USB extras, though for me it's a bit too heavy on the demos/worktapes (but I assume other fans must be into this kind of stuff).

I do wonder, I thought they were going to put more stuff on that from Sleepy Hollow especially (and also Planet of the Apes) - you know, the cases where they couldn't put much unreleased music on the discs because they original soundtracks already almost filled the CD space - but, comparing them to the two Batman films, I wonder if the relatively low amount of unreleased material points at a more complete release from LaLaLand or another label. I don't see expansions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Nightmare before Christmas and Big Fish coming soon, which would fit in with the theory as there's a wealth of unreleased material of those in the box.

The difference between these and the LLL releases, is that these have all the demos and worktapes. On Batman, there's a cue called "Herrmann-esque Thing (Worktape)" :lol:

It'll be great going through and listening to how he developed all of his earlier ideas.

This thing is way too expensive for me, but holy crap if that isn't the most awesome set I've ever seen.

The price factor is what made me not order it either. Then again there was only a couple of scores I was interested in from this set anyways.

Awesome! I'm getting incredibly excited, can't wait for mine to arrive. I thought the main titles to Alice in Wonderland was included on a CD from the boxset?

Elfman mentioned you again, indy4. Well, kinda lol. In his note for Nightmate Before Christmas, he mentions the singing elves and says that they've always been a part of the song for him, too.

Here's a layout of the CDs on my desk.

Left pile = To do

Right pile = Finished

RippingTheMusic.jpg

Super jealous! I can't wait to hear Nightmare Before Christmas more than anything else

Elfman mentioned you again, indy4. Well, kinda lol. In his note for Nightmate Before Christmas, he mentions the singing elves and says that they've always been a part of the song for him, too.

:lol: Awesome!

Hey, does the set include that list of names of people who gave suggestions on that FSM thread?

Cool, my name is just above Lukas Kendall's! :)

Too bad I could never afford the $700 for this set. Thanks for the pics, Koray!

It's just DRM. Before iTunes was DRM-free, everything you bought from the Store was "locked." It would literally have a lock on the file image so no one else but you could listen to the music. You can put them on your iPod, but I imagine there's a limit as to how many computers you can save them on or something like that.

Like I said, all it does is delay the inevitable. Instead of quickly sending them off to the internet, one would need to rip all the music from the discs and then send it away.

It's just DRM. Before iTunes was DRM-free, everything you bought from the Store was "locked." It would literally have a lock on the file image so no one else but you could listen to the music. You can put them on your iPod, but I imagine there's a limit as to how many computers you can save them on or something like that.

Like I said, all it does is delay the inevitable. Instead of quickly sending them off to the internet, one would need to rip all the music from the discs and then send it away.

The material that is on the 16 discs already doesn't concern me; it's the tracks exclusive to the USB stick that we must crack!