Complete film music of all Star Wars films to be released?

paleo

I just came across this at www.starwars-union.de, quoting www.eucantina.net:

The following is a report of Inside Insider with the Editors and Writers from Star Wars Celebration V. There wasn’t a lot of new information, but the Star Wars Insider team did a great job of answering questions and asking for feedback from the fans. Information was reported by EUCantina staff from the panel, via Twitter or email.

* According to the writers of Insider, A full soundtrack for the saga is under consideration. The release would be timed with the Blu-ray set.

Well, I'd like that...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll wait for any official confirmation from SONY themselves *scowls maliciously at April Fools Day fake announcement* although it would be nice.

If all six soundtracks got released in complete form, with the best sound quality possible, buying the set would be the easiest $200 I ever spent. If there were edits, omissions, and/or poor sound quality...it'd be a slightly harder choice, but I'd still probably buy it.

But I'm not holding my breath. I could imagine it happening for the Blu-ray release, but I could also imagine having to wait till the 50th anniversary of Star Wars.

I'd spend up to 500. Maybe 1000.

No, don't tempt them to price it so :P

I do hope it's true, but I hope they release them as separate CD sets as well for each Episode. Of course, I would buy them all in one, if I had to :)

Every time the movies got released or re-released they've always had a soundtrack tie in.

I have always thought that we'll finally get the complete intended edition of the Prequel scores as well as remastered versions of the Original Trilogy scores at the time of the Blu-Ray release for the movies. I'll still continue to think that...but until then I will wait for actual confirmation from Sony or even Lucasfilm themselves.

However, if an actual box set of the real complete scores is released with the Blu-Ray set I would for sure buy it.

Edit: There will never be isolated scores for the Blu-Ray releases. There weren't any for the DVD releases so there won't be any for the Blu-Ray either.

Every time the movies got released or re-released they've always had a soundtrack tie in.

I have always thought that we'll finally get the complete intended edition of the Prequel scores as well as remastered versions of the Original Trilogy scores at the time of the Blu-Ray release for the movies. I'll still continue to think that...but until then I will wait for actual confirmation from Sony or even Lucasfilm themselves.

However, if an actual box set of the real complete scores is released with the Blu-Ray set I would for sure buy it.

Edit: There will never be isolated scores for the Blu-Ray releases. There weren't any for the DVD releases so there won't be any for the Blu-Ray either.

The reason for a lack of isolated scores may have been due to a lack of space - on DVDs, isolated scores from a few DVDs have been dropped due to the bitrate (I believe LOTR EEs was one of them), but with the space available on BDs it wouldn't be that much of a problem. But also, they will make sure people want to upgrade, so they may try and put as much as possible that wasn't on the DVDs on there to tempt.

Well, for TPM, it'd obviously be redundant, but for ROTS and especially AOTC, it'd be useful. A genuine complete soundtrack release would be MUCH better, of course, but without that, an iso Blu-ray would still provide us with some material that's not cleanly available at the moment.

I do have to agree with Datameister. A this point I am willing to take anything for AOTC and ROTS. I mean grant we have a tiny bit of the unused music for AOTC but for ROTS we have most of the unused music from either the games or the OST.

* According to the writers of Insider, A full soundtrack for the saga is under consideration. The release would be timed with the Blu-ray set.

That would be incredible if it were finally pulled off.

Instant purchase.

The objective here is all the music and new versions of the original trilogy from superior source elements we know exist. Not to mention the few remaining tracks we're missing. There's no way that the Jabba the Hutt piece and those source cues are missing/destroyed. If they have footage of Mark Hamill getting bit by a snake while filling up his X-Wing trunk, there's a crate somewhere in Lucasland with the unreleased music. If we get the complete prequels and the same old discs for the original trilogy, terrorists win. So let's bombard Lucasfilm and Sony Classical's secretaries with e-mails like we did with Concord when the Indiana Jones set was coming out.

Some things to wonder about, some already mentioned (if this is indeed true):

* Will they be using better sources for the Original Trilogy versions?

* Will there be new tracks for the Original Trilogy versions (including the theatrical versions of certain tracks that can only be found in the Anthology set)?

* If they do indeed expand (or complete) the Prequel Trilogy, will they still simply use the Ultimate Edition of Phantom Menace, or will they actually do the proper job this time?

Let's hope the the original trilogy is cleaned up and let's hope it's done right.

Please let Michael Matessino and Nick Redman work on this project.

I'm clueless to who those are, although obviously they did better jobs on whatever Soundtracks they worked on than what the editors for the Star Wars STs have.

They worked on the SE's? I hope for Return of the Jedi they get better sources this time around. And the proper version of Superstructure Chase too. The Album version is blatantly not the version the film used.

Although if they work on the Prequels that's definitely going to be a plus. Because the editors for the prequels were just plain awful. Especially the UE editors.

I'm clueless to who those are, although obviously they did better jobs on whatever Soundtracks they worked on than what the editors for the Star Wars STs have.

They worked on the SEs.

Matessino, at least, only worked as a producer and wrote the liner notes. He wasn't responsible for the technical work (which included the terrible Empire remixes and poor quality of Jedi). I also wonder if he was responsible for the actual content, as most alternate cues are hidden among larger tracks, and all the titles are technically minded, rather than Williams' originals.

Here's what Mike Matessino told me one time on Facebook when I asked him if he had the opportunity to redo the Original Trilogy scores again if he would jump on it.

As I didn't get to do any actual hands-on work on the music itself way back in dark ages of '96/'97 (I just advised on the sequencing and wrote the notes), of course I would love to redo them myself and make them perfect. And of course professionally I'd be crazy to not want to have a further association with the biggest orchestral soundtracks of all time. No brainer!

They worked on the SEs.

Matessino, at least, only worked as a producer and wrote the liner notes. He wasn't responsible for the technical work (which included the terrible Empire remixes and poor quality of Jedi). I also wonder if he was responsible for the actual content, as most alternate cues are hidden among larger tracks, and all the titles are technically minded, rather than Williams' originals.

Cool, I didn't know that. I knew the ESB remixes were done by others, but I thought he had more input. Good to know.

Discs 1+2: Star Wars album remastered

Discs 3+4: Star Wars score (alts. at end)

Discs 5+6: The Empire Strikes Back album remastered

Discs 7+8: The Empire Strikes Back score (alts. at end)

Disc 9: Return of the Jedi album remastered

Discs 10+11: Return of the Jedi score (alts. at end)

Discs 12+13: The Phantom Menace score (alts. at end if allotted)

Discs 14+15: Attack of the Clones score (alts. at end if allotted)

Discs 16+17: Revenge of the Sith score (alts. at end if allotted)

Disc 18: Additional music and interviews

Discs 1+2: Star Wars album remastered

Discs 3+4: Star Wars score (alts. at end)

Discs 5+6: The Empire Strikes Back album remastered

Discs 7+8: The Empire Strikes Back score (alts. at end)

Disc 9: Return of the Jedi album remastered

Discs 10+11: Return of the Jedi score (alts. at end)

Discs 12+13: The Phantom Menace score (alts. at end if allotted)

Discs 14+15: Attack of the Clones score (alts. at end if allotted)

Discs 16+17: Revenge of the Sith score (alts. at end if allotted)

Disc 18: Additional music and interviews

Only in your dreams, fanboy :)

This would be my ideal version:

CD1+2 The Phantom Menace

CD3+4 Attack of the Clones

CD5+6 Revenge of the Sith

CD7+8 A New Hope

CD 9-10 Empire Strikes Back

CD 11-12 Return of the Jedi

CD 13 Alternates (where some don't fit on the other discs)

And a bonus :P

CD 14 The Force Unleashed

I think we all should remember what Lukas Kendall said several months ago about LucasFilm's attitude toward soundtrack releases.

The Blu-ray release is an ideal occasion to put out definitive editions of all six scores, but personally I don't count on it. At least we already have all the music from the original three films released in some way.

Let's have Doug Adams on these releases ! If he was working on them, we'd be sure what to expect (i.e. something great !) !

Well, take this with EXTREME caution, but on Moviemusic.com, he may have dropped a hint: http://www.moviemusic.com/mb/Forum1/HTML/017532.html

Again, don't take it as any kind of fact.

I dunno,I'm tired of getting hyped for his. Wake me up when it's official.

Then we'll get a half assed announcement that "expanded" scores will be released leaving us to wonder if it will be a botched thing like the Indy box set. We'll panic for a few months and they'll add another disk in a cardboard sieve at the last minute

I think we all should remember what Lukas Kendall said several months ago about LucasFilm's attitude toward soundtrack releases.

The Blu-ray release is an ideal occasion to put out definitive editions of all six scores, but personally I don't count on it. At least we already have all the music from the original three films released in some way.

That was some time ago.

Meanwhile, LucasFilm are losing out on money because people on sites like FFShrine go for the Complete Bootleg releases instead of the officially released stuff. Can they afford to keep leaking..., no, actually haemorrhaging money like that? Do they yet realise that no matter what level of encrytion they place on a game's music files, somebody will crack it, and hey presto a bootleg is made? Heck, I can just imagine how much popular bootlegs of Episode III became after the material from the PC version of The Force Unleashed surfaced.

Then again, we cannot expect them to see it like that. They cannot simply undo everything by starting to use just the album music in the games.

Oh they'll find a way to mess it up, they never got it right yet.

If they are released ,be prepared for major flaws so that we will still have to have the Prequel resource thread to make our own edits

Oh they'll find a way to mess it up, they never got it right yet.

If they are released ,be prepared for major flaws so that we will still have to have the Prequel resource thread to make our own edits

For once I agree with KM.

They screwed up the Indy set by trying to market it to the general public instead of letting Intrada or FSM do it properly.

I can't imagine for a second that Lucas has suddenly decided to treat SW with respect. If this does happen, I'll eat my proverbial hat if it reaches the same standard as FSM's releases.

Meanwhile, LucasFilm are losing out on money because people on sites like FFShrine go for the Complete Bootleg releases instead of the officially released stuff. Can they afford to keep leaking..., no, actually haemorrhaging money like that? Do they yet realise that no matter what level of encrytion they place on a game's music files, somebody will crack it, and hey presto a bootleg is made? Heck, I can just imagine how much popular bootlegs of Episode III became after the material from the PC version of The Force Unleashed surfaced.

This still makes me laugh. Lucasfilm's attitude makes it seem like we're after classified blueprints of Skywalker Ranch. God forbid allowing themselves to make lots of money from....*shudder*... music.