1. 1. Who do you prefer?

• Shore
    • Giacchino

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shore.

To get the obvious out of the way, any of the LOTR scores are greater than Giacchino's best effort (Ratatouille, although on a more even playing film filmwise, they also obliterate Star Trek), not to mention Shore's numerous ventures into other genres that have brought a much-imitated texture and atmosphere to "darker" film scoring through scores for The Silence of the Lambs, The Fly, Se7en. But he's just as accomplished with amazing scores for flicks like Eastern Promises and A History Of Violence, the gentler side with Big and some of the comedy films he's done. I enjoy Giacchino a lot, but I feel he has a long way to go to match someone like Shore, especially after Let Me In, which is very much a film you would imagine Shore scoring and certainly has influences from HS.

I'm not very familiar with Shore's oeuvre outside of LOTR, which I find to be an ambitious and well-thought-out but ultimately less-than-amazing trio of scores. On the other hand, I've listened to a lot of Giacchino scores, and while they tend to be quite simple on certain levels, there's and effectiveness and sincerity there that I really like. Not to mention that it's fun knowing that this music was written by someone who's genuinely a film score fan like I am.

I like film music that isn't just thought as film music, but rather as good and challenging music in the first place.

Giacchino is a good film composer, but I find Shore the better composer.

Giacchino still has to write something like Eastern Promises.

It's an odd pair to compare ...

Well, it's probably based on the idea that the two of them are probably the best working today. Williams is practically retired and Horner can't be arsed, more often than not. Desplat and co. are yet to make a big splash, imo.

Well, it's probably based on the idea that the two of them are probably the best working today. Williams is practically retired and Horner can't be arsed, more often than not. Desplat and co. are yet to make a big splash, imo.

Then what is Deathly Hallows to you?

Wait, don't answer that.

MG of course. LotR is an unquestionable masterpiece, but I've never connected with anything else of Shore's, while I love the vast majority of Giacchino's work.

That's exactly how I feel about Shore. MG gets my vote.

Then what is Deathly Hallows to you?

Wait, don't answer that.

I'm not really a Potter fan, but I do wish Desplat the best of look and do indeed hope he makes a big impression. I want to hear what he does with the action scenes and particularly how he might weave existing and new themes into such cues. Such moments make and break a film composer.

Wait, I'm not in any way against Giacchino, but he had in no way the acclaim Howard Shore had, and still has.

A supposed one-hit wonder is still better than a no-hit wonder.

LotR is an unquestionable masterpiece, but I've never connected with anything else of Shore's

This...

To get the obvious out of the way, any of the LOTR scores are greater than Giacchino's best effort

...and this.

While I enjoy more of his work, Giacchino has yet to reach the same heights as Shore's Lord of the Rings.

That being said, I find myself anticipating Giacchino's future scores more than I do Shore's.

Still, I give it to Shore.

Lord of the Rings is just that good.

Wait, I'm not in any way against Giacchino, but he had in no way the acclaim Howard Shore had, and still has.

A supposed one-hit wonder is still better than a no-hit wonder.

I suppose you've never heard of Up? The general public loves it. Even won an award or something.

I suppose you've never heard of Up? The general public loves it. Even won an award or something.

Practically all available awards...

Shore is well known and loved by the casual listener because of LOTR, and he has not written that good again. Maybe the hobbit.

BTW, i said 'somewhat' one-hit-wonder. I know some of you like his earlier, obscure and hard to listen 'masterpieces'...

I have to go with Giacchino. I actually prefer Giacchino's Star Trek over Shore's LOTR scores. It's very hard and tedious to get through one complete recordings of the LOTR scores. Star Trek on the other hand I can listen to again and again with out any problems.

Are you considering Up a classic like Lord of the Rings or Silence Of The Lambs?

It's not even in the same ballpark.

The score has received the same kind of public recognition that the LOTR scores have. And The Silence of the Lambs score is hardly well-known among non film score fans. Whether you like them better is a whole 'nother topic, and a matter of personal opinion.

Practically all available awards...

Shore is well known and loved by the casual listener because of LOTR, and he has not written that good again. Maybe the hobbit.

BTW, i said 'somewhat' one-hit-wonder. I know some of you like his earlier, obscure and hard to listen 'masterpieces'...

Obscure? What, like The Silence of the Lambs? Big? Philadelphia? Ed Wood? Se7en?

People go on about this all the time, but Shore's back catalogue is not obscure (unless you think anything which doesn't open in 3000 theaters is obscure). Shore has written equally good music since, such as Eastern Promises which was mentioned before, an incredible score. If Williams' name on it, people would be claiming it was an instant masterpiece.

And I adore Up.

Are you considering Up a classic like Lord of the Rings or Silence Of The Lambs?

It's not even in the same ballpark.

The score has received the same kind of public recognition that the LOTR scores have. And The Silence of the Lambs score is hardly well-known among non film score fans. Whether you like them better is a whole 'nother topic, and a matter of personal opinion.

Computer says NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

UP is just regular Pixar underscore winning an oscar for a change. I'm not Shore's biggest fan, but come on...

Play a bit of Up on piano for a random stranger followed by a bit of The Silence of the Lambs. See which one elicits a stronger emotional response.

That wouldn't necessarily be an indication of familiarity, though. In fact what exactly would it prove?

Obscure? What, like The Silence of the Lambs? Big? Philadelphia? Ed Wood? Se7en?

As far as the general public is concerned, those are all very obscure scores.

This is true, but I'm talking about actual film score fans who still seem generally ignorant to anything that doesn't have a big heroic theme attached to it. Shore's career is very evidential of this, where people just assume that anything that isn't LOTR is immediately dark, depressing and "hard to listen to", which is absolute rubbish and an insult to a composer of Shore's calibre.

Play a bit of Up on piano for a random stranger followed by a bit of The Silence of the Lambs. See which one elicits a stronger emotional response.

That wouldn't necessarily be an indication of familiarity, though.

Or quality. Shore's score invokes uncomfortable feelings of dread and foreboding, but may not be as instantly emotionally connecting as Giacchino's music, which is fine as the two movies are worlds apart.

UP received the same public acclaim as Lord of the Rings ...?

Then I should probably attend one of those constantly sold out UP Symphony performances, or the widely know UP Live to Projection performance.

Understandably, since the UP Complete Recordings wet my appetite - being the landmark release that it is - and the in-depth analysis of UP's score, together with the attached alternates, and Giacchino's comments reveal a level of dedication that is unmatched in the past 70 years.

But I need to hurry ordering the book, it's been sold out in several countries three days after its release ...

eh ... who's Howard Shore again?

UP? I personally think there's nothing special about it. I get bored halfway through and downright can't stand some of the music.

I'm not the biggest fan of LOTR but even I can say it's 100 times better than UP

That said, right now I (kind of) look forward to new Giacchino scores but I'm pretty indifferent to any new Shore score . Let Me In is fantastic.

Giacchino. I love Shore, and MG hasn't written anything with the same magnitude of LOTR, but like others I find myself connecting with more of Giacchino's work. He's been on fire for the past several years.

Shore. While I do think he's a bit overrated, he composed some really great scores. Giacchino can't possibly beat The Aviator, The Fly or even The Silence of the Lambs. No chance here. Did I say Let Me In is boring? Maybe it'll improve, but so far I'm not impressed.

Karol

UP received the same public acclaim as Lord of the Rings ...?

Then I should probably attend one of those constantly sold out UP Symphony performances, or the widely know UP Live to Projection performance.

Understandably, since the UP Complete Recordings wet my appetite - being the landmark release that it is - and the in-depth analysis of UP's score, together with the attached alternates, and Giacchino's comments reveal a level of dedication that is unmatched in the past 70 years.

But I need to hurry ordering the book, it's been sold out in several countries three days after its release ...

eh ... who's Howard Shore again?

Point taken. :lol: Up cannot compare to LOTR in terms of how intense its most ardent fans are, or in terms of the lavish treatment it's gotten. But in my experience, it's certainly equally recognizable. (And as far as concerts go, I attended a very much sold-out LOST concert in which Giacchino included a new arrangement of the theme from Up as an encore. The applause was INSANE.)

And regarding level of dedication, that's all well and good, but it doesn't matter if the resulting music disappoints.

Point taken. :P Up cannot compare to LOTR in terms of how intense its most ardent fans are, or in terms of the lavish treatment it's gotten. But in my experience, it's certainly equally recognizable. (And as far as concerts go, I attended a very much sold-out LOST concert in which Giacchino included a new arrangement of the theme from Up as an encore. The applause was INSANE.)

The theme from UP is f..ing granny music - the tango from 6 DEGREES OF SEPARATION is equally recognizable, i don`t hear anyone insanely applauding (or requesting, for that matter) that.

But that's the old problem with filmmusic as pure music - give people a popular film to hang on, even the most amateurish piece of music would get insane applaudings.

I love my granny.

But that's the old problem with filmmusic as pure music - give people a popular film to hang on, even the most amateurish piece of music would get insane applaudings.

Correct. The problem is even worse when there's some real melodic talent involved, as Up demonstrates.

A hard question to answer. Shore has been around so much longer. LOTR, in my opinion, is better than anything Giacchino has done to date. However, I believe Giacchino will eclipse Shore soon. I believe that LOTR is the peak of Shore's career, and I would be surprised to see him really give anything the same time and energy he gave those films. Even "Eclipse", which I was optimistic for, seemed like a re-arrangement of LOTR. Giacchino can only get better, as is evidenced by his last couple scores.

I love my granny.

Correct. The problem is even worse when there's some real melodic talent involved, as Up demonstrates.

Remember that when people clapping thunderously to 'He's a Pirate' next time.