What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Nah, you just need to accept Goldsmith is dead. Time to move. Or will you let the pain destroy you?

Karol

Nah, you're just not very fussy with your movie music.

A Quint post.

Karol

Nah, you just need to accept Goldsmith is dead. Time to move. Or will you let the pain destroy you?

Karol

Nah, you're just not very fussy with your movie music.

A Quint post.

Karol

Damn straight!

The Hobbit Part 1: The Unexpected Journey

Like the film itself, Shore's music relies way too much on the style and structure previous 3 LOTR films. The generally slow moving and brooding music worked incredibly well for those movies but a lot of that was due to its wealth of wonderful themes. The themes in The Hobbit are generally underwhelming. With a pleasant but forgettable theme for Bilbo, a quirky (and also forgettable) theme for Radagast the Brown and a motif for Gandalf that's about as tepid an identity as imaginable. You'd think that Shore would come up with something a little more interesting for such a beloved character. The only identity up to par with the themes of the original LOTR movies is the "Misty Mountains" theme which wasn't even written by Shore. The score still has some major positive points, mostly relating to Shore's handling of the themes but it's not enough to save the score.

3/5

Call my crazy, but I love this score. It was by far my favourite aspect of the film (which I didn't enjoy, FWIW). I wasn't a fan of either THE SOCIAL NETWORK or THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, but this won me over. I'm now a Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross fan (though I've always been a fan of NiN).

Call my crazy, but I love this score. It was by far my favourite aspect of the film (which I didn't enjoy, FWIW). I wasn't a fan of either THE SOCIAL NETWORK or THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, but this won me over. I'm now a Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross fan (though I've always been a fan of NiN).

It's not awful but if it gets ridiculously fawned over like TSN then I'll start to hate it.

Steven Price is at it again. Stream the whole score for Brad Pitt's FURY. Connoisseurs of male choruses and e-guitars rejoice.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/10/08/stream-the-score-to-brad-pitts-world-war-ii-film-fury-exclusive-album-premiere/

Yup. If you can ignore all the dubstep stuff, TASM 2 actually has a good deal to offer.

Yeah - there's some really good stuff hidden amongst the dreck.

I can't get into SM1 (or any D.E. score) either.

With the one exception of The Nightmare Before Christmas, I'm the same way. I wish Burton would go back to Shore - Ed Wood is great!

POTC 2 - Hans Zimmer

G.u.i.l.t.y. P.l.e.a.s.u.r.e.

Actually, it's one of my favorite Zimmer scores on the strength of the Flying Dutchman material. I just saw a live to projection concert of it and was blown away. The manic gusto with which they handled the Kraken segments was insanely awesome.

:rock:

That's actually another way of putting my issue with Young's music. It lacks character. It's proficient and fairly colorful but it doesn't manage to be its own thing.

That's exactly how I feel about Marco Beltrami. I'm still waiting to be converted.

I read Alvar's praise and Sami's ravings about him 'leagues above' his contemporaries, but I just can't hear it. You know I'm not cloth-eared...

For Young, check out Hider in the House and Drag Me to Hell. Both are awesome. For Beltrami, I'm partial to I Am Dina and The Hurt Locker.

I can't get into SM1 (or any D.E. score) either.

With the one exception of The Nightmare Before Christmas, I'm the same way. I wish Burton would go back to Shore - Ed Wood is great!

POTC 2 - Hans Zimmer

G.u.i.l.t.y. P.l.e.a.s.u.r.e.

Actually, it's one of my favorite Zimmer scores on the strength of the Flying Dutchman material. I just saw a live to projection concert of it and was blown away. The manic gusto with which they handled the Kraken segments was insanely awesome.

:thumbup:

Everything I've forced myself to like I very quickly lost interest.

It's like Game of Thrones. Everyone was raving about that show and nagging me to see it. I watched the first six or so episodes, could barely follow it, and simply gave up. I simply wasn't hooked.

Whatever it was about that show that hooked everyone else, I wish it did for me so I could enjoy it too. But it didn't.

The lesson is to like and pursue the things that feel natural to you and don't waste time trying to like things that you know deep down isn't tickling your fancy.

I haven't heard Gone Girl but is it actually different from TSN?

GONE GIRL is strangely haunting, even moving at times. It's stayed with me longer than most recent scores I've heard. Sugar Storm and Empty Places and their reprises are the highlights along with Procedural, Just Like You, Technically Missing and Like Home. The more abrasive, industrial cues are an acquired taste, I'll put it like that. The harmonic pallet is considerably more sophisticated than TR/AR's previous Fincher collaborations - some wonderful subtleties.

If you like ambient or chillout music, this should be up your street.

It appeals to me in a similar way to how Mike described Eric Whitacre's music.

[it] manages to stir up that feeling that I treasure so much and have sought out ever since I was really young. I can't tell you what that feeling is; there's no word for it, and no way to describe it, it just has to be experienced. It's a little bit like being reminded of something from a dream, or some impossibly distant memory, something just on the edge of perception that disappears if you try to focus on it.

I've only heard the samples, but from those alone it sounds miles ahead of The Social Network. It's rather reminiscent of Johann Johannsson's Prisoners (albeit without the solid string writing) or some of David Torn's scores.

GONE GIRL is strangely haunting, even moving at times. It's stayed with me longer than most recent scores I've heard. Sugar Storm and Empty Places and their reprises are the highlights along with Procedural, Just Like You, Technically Missing and Like Home. The more abrasive, industrial cues are an acquired taste, I'll put it like that. The harmonic pallet is considerably more sophisticated than TR/AR's previous Fincher collaborations - some wonderful subtleties.

[it] manages to stir up that feeling that I treasure so much and have sought out ever since I was really young. I can't tell you what that feeling is; there's no word for it, and no way to describe it, it just has to be experienced. It's a little bit like being reminded of something from a dream, or some impossibly distant memory, something just on the edge of perception that disappears if you try to focus on it.

What severe bullshit. Who is this Mike?

Who?

Medal of Honor Frontline by Michael Giacchino

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams

Lethal Weapon 2 - Kamen & Clapton & Sanborn

Wow !!! The score starts with a bang. The absolutely awesome 'Chase the Red BMW', which has that vintage rhythmic sound that Kamen excelled in. Great stuff!

After that a good couple of cues that emphasize the Riggs & Murtaugh relationship, and with a little bit of Leo Gets thrown in the mix. A reprise of the first score's main action cue pops up in 'Mulholland Chase'.

But it's when the baddies' music creeps in that I start to lose interest, with a really lackluster motif for the Germans, using a tribal sounding instrument. It's pretty dire to be honest.

The score turns a lot less engaging and into the background after that great opening. The sax and guitar make occasional visits, which is most welcome.

'Helicopters Approach / Helicopter Attack' is also an interesting take on the Riggs theme, disguised as a suspense cue. The same basic idea is heard in 'Stilt House Falls'.

So the score starts out very strong, everything that comes after are re-used ideas of the first LW, or just not very interesting to listen to. So I give the sequel also a 3.5 out of 5, for trying but not hard enough.

Born on the Fourth of July by John Williams: A ravishing score which is hampered to my mind only by the 25 minute running time as even though there is repetition thematically in the relatively short score (only about 45 minutes) there would have been several cues in the film still worthy of inclusion for variety and sheer beauty. What is on the album however runs the gamut of emotions from sombre and solemn trumpet led Prologue to the wide-eyed Americana lyricism of The Early Days, Massapequa to the violent and unsettling The Shooting of Wilson and poignant and eerie Cua Viet River, Vietnam and concluding with the passionate heart tugging and uplifting End Title. Top tier drama writing by Williams with poignant heartfelt themes, wonderful soloist work of trumpet player Tim Morrison and a powerful performance from the studio orchestra.

Monster_squad_Vol50.jpg

512UBH3yuvL._SY300_.jpg

prince_darkness_AHI003.jpg

Excluding the dialogue intros from both discs and the 1987 OST on disc 2.

51eDi4FFM-L.jpg

The Elfman/Burton Box version arranged in somewhat chronological order and including both Belafonte songs from the 1988 OST.

A Million of Ways to Die in the West

Seth McFarlane's sense of humor may be asinine but his taste in music is not. Joel McNeely's score is a blast to listen to, recalling classic western scores and bits of John Williams. Another plus is that it doesn't feel the need to reference Morricone's spaghetti western sound, which nearly every other western does. Scores like this make me long for a McFarlane/JW collaboration.

4.25/5

Who?

But seriously, having given it a close listen, I agree completely.

Didn't mind the movie either.

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but that one cue doesn't have the same effect on me. I hear a higher level of spohistication, but ultimately suffers a similar fate to TSN, where not much is being said by the end. Still sounds rather mundane when compared to likes of Brian Eno or David Julyan.

But it's silly to pass verdict based on that one cue. So I guess I'll get back to you once I hear the whole thing, and maybe in context of the film too.

Still sounds rather mundane when compared to likes of Brian Eno or David Julyan.

That's where we disagree, but then I don't put Eno or Julyan on a pedestal either. They're decent composers, but not exactly mindblowing. I'd say Reznor's already their equal.

To my ears Empty Places sounds very different from TSN.

I'm going to check out the whole album tomorrow, then I'll get back to you. I'm liking Sugar Storm.

By the way, I wonder how much credit goes to Reznor versus Ross.

THE JUDGE - Thomas Newman

Been there, done that...thy name is Newman these days, unfortunately.

HOUSE OF CARDS - James Horner

Mousy little tv movie about traumatized children, the score is one of Horner's best, mixing starry, wide-eyed children's sentiment (sweet americana) with breezy impressionistic writing (a mute child builds the titular house of cards), a bit of Arvo Pärt (Sneakers, why of course) and andean pan flutes. Horner really lavished this one with melodies and sustained longer pieces. It's all very fluidly written and came back haunting us since 1991 (the score was actually written 2 years before the movie got released). Why this less-than-impressing directorial debut got so much love remains unclear - there is neither a performance nor filmic technique that sparkles - so file it under Horner pulling a Goldsmith on a movie that needed musical boost desperately. A virtue Horner seldom showed after his salad days, sadly.

A Million of Ways to Die in the West

Seth McFarlane's sense of humor may be asinine but his taste in music is not. Joel McNeely's score is a blast to listen to, recalling classic western scores and bits of John Williams. Another plus is that it doesn't feel the need to reference Morricone's spaghetti western sound, which nearly every other western does. Scores like this make me long for a McFarlane/JW collaboration.

4.25/5

It's a nice score indeed. Racing The Train is a lot of fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gui1TDezZhs

I'm going to check out the whole album tomorrow, then I'll get back to you. I'm liking Sugar Storm.

By the way, I wonder how much credit goes to Reznor versus Ross.

I don't yet have the CD, but "Sugar Storm" (if you mean the bit with the bakery) in the movie is wonderful.