What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yeah! A lot of the appeal of the prequel scores, for me, are those stretches of music that are quite calm and don't seem too slavishly tied to the dramatic mood swings of the films. I love those stretches. They seem to create a musical environment that is the Star Wars universe, which you can bask in freely, without too much interruption from constantly shifting movie music syndrome. It's almost more like video game music, atmospheric and immersive, than the usual Williams/Star Wars operatic extremity.

The Cowboys by John Williams: The album is short but sweet and a thoroughly entertaining Copland-esquely rousing affair.

Home Alone by John Williams: In the honour of prodigious snowfall in the last couple of days (which made me think of Christmas) I took out the 25th anniversary version. Which I think is just splendid.

Another one i hadn't much recollection about. The recording sessions leak didn't bring out much useful new material but the score as such is a really solid adventure score that betrays a talented craftsman (Shearmur orchestrated i. e. for Kamen, though his own music tends to be much more memorable).

Like in 'Sky Captain' he utilizes some trusty old genre tropes and fuses them with more modern sensibilities: the trio of little scherzos are really fun and the expansive, hymnal main theme sticks (it's simple but effective and surely one of 2002's more memorable tunes). 

Actually, listening to it made me yearn for more Shearmur..:blink: Who would've thought 15 years before.

James Newton Howard - Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

My first time listening to any of this.  Well, I enjoyed it!  Some nice stuff.  One action bit reminded me of Waterworld.

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Another one i hadn't much recollection about. The recording sessions leak didn't bring out much useful new material but the score as such is a really solid adventure score that betrays a talented craftsman (Shearmur orchestrated i. e. for Kamen, though his own music tends to be much more memorable).

The score is very good, but not really all that memorable - and so it manages to surprise me every time I play it. But the track you posted is a major killer cue.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Good score, though.

Shearmur really goes for the old school Saturday matinee serial/Raiders of the Lost Ark-styled scoring and does so pretty well I think.

David Holmes - Ocean's 11 (OST)

Well, as much of the OST as is on spotify (many of the pop tracks seem to be missing).

Love the music, but hated that there was a dialogue over everything.  Is there a dialogue-free version?

Bummer!  The Ocean's 12 and Ocean's 13 OSTs are on Spotify too; Hopefully they are similar sounding and with no dialogue

JFK. I only have a few tracks (Prologue/Motorcade/Drummers Salute/Arlington and reprise of the theme). Always feel this hopeful, inspired mood during Prologue ("Ask not what your country can do for you...") and then quite downbeat at Arlington, this sense of something lost. It's Motorcade I find tireless, I know the scene in question has Costner laying out the shooters lying in wait but in my mind it comes to mind of the motorcade turning round, Oswald (for arguments sake) getting ready and then the use of the theme, something about it -Kennedy flying into his fate.

Anyway.

The second half of Empire Strikes Back (i.e. Disc 2 of the soundtrack) - key tracks remain Carbon Freeze, Clash of Lightsabers and the end titles (the way the love them comes at the very end).

And some John Barry -On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Listened to the entire A.I. Artificial Intelligence score this afternoon. This is THE score of 21st century for Williams. Everything else is mostly a retread in one way or another.

Karol

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life. Alan Silvestri. 

The cue "Pandora's Box" is quite nice. 

Some nice ethnic instrumentation over the whole score. The film is a guilty pleasure but Silvestri didn't have much to work with. Few good cues like the one mentioned above. I prefer this one to Revell's score for the first but I think he had only five days to write it in! I think there's a "theme" of his which returns I think. At least I think so.

Silvestri's score seems to have inspired the much better Tomb Raider: Legend but Steph doesn't want me to mention video games. 

Music from Home Alone is featured in Aldi's Xmas ad. Not sure what cue but it features Somewhere in my Memory (melody not vocal).

might just be the first cue. 

I listened to the wonderful 19 minute suite of The Reivers with Burgess Meredith narrating that appeared on the Williams/Boston Pops album "Music for Stage and Screen."  Couldn't find the whole thing on Youtube, but here's an excerpt that you should absolutely listen to if you've never heard it before:

That album, Music for Stage and Screen, is one of my favorite Williams/Pops releases, maybe my single favorite.  The suite of Copland's Red Pony score is so so good.

That is an excellent album and don't forget the gorgeous Born on the Fourth of July suite!

3 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park OST

This is what I listened to last night to go to sleep (I generally play a soundtrack on my phone to help me fall asleep).  Worked surprisingly well!

:music: The Thief of Bagdad (Tadlow) by Miklos Rozsa. A very different, less weighty type of Rozsa score. Lots of singing and feels more swashbuckling in general. All Tadlow fans I don't need to convince, it's as excellent as their other stuff.

Karol

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Batman (Prince & Shirley Walker)

Scandalous!

1 hour ago, Selina Kyle said:

John Williams did not score a film called Episode IV: A New Hope. It was simply Star Wars.

Just as you have changed your username many times over the years, so too can a movie change titles.