What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

simon-and-the-oaks-original-motion-pictu

SIMON AND THE OAKS: Annette Focks

To quote Michel Lonsdale, (mediocre) WW2 movies appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season. In this case, it's Sweden under fascist oppression and somehow jews figure into it. Which in this day and age means the music is solemn, of sluggish pace, with a Klezmer slant, solo violin, clarinet and strings all flavoured in minor. It's by german composer Annette Focks and it's actually good stuff - mainly driven by two rather expressive vaguely eastern melodies, it stays firmly in the mold established by composers like Delerue for these occasions (it's like a mixture of Delerue melos and what Hans Zimmer would write for similar topics, and that's not meant in an uncomplimentary way).

With a Spotify account, just listen to OPENER, JEWISH and JOURNEY TO BERLIN to get a general feel. The album is too long as it is, but who's for complainin'.

simon-and-the-oaks-original-motion-pictu

SIMON AND THE OAKS: Annette Focks

To quote Michel Lonsdale, (mediocre) WW2 movies appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season. In this case, it's Sweden under fascist oppression and somehow jews figure into it. Which in this day and age means the music is solemn, of sluggish pace, with a Klezmer slant, solo violin, clarinet and strings all flavoured in minor. It's by german composer Annette Focks and it's actually good stuff - mainly driven by two rather expressive vaguely eastern melodies, it stays firmly in the mold established by composers like Delerue for these occasions (it's like a mixture of Delerue melos and what Hans Zimmer would write for similar topics, and that's not meant in an uncomplimentary way).

With a Spotify account, just listen to OPENER, JEWISH and JOURNEY TO BERLIN to get a general feel. The album is too long as it is, but who's for complainin'.

will definitely check out this one!

"Dartmouth 1912" from War Horse.

Is that from an alternative version of the movie where Joey joins the Royal Navy instead of the Army?

:biglaugh:

I've just listened again to The Film Music of Arthur Benjamin & Leighton Lucas, a present from Father Christmas. Nice stuff, especially Benjamin's Conquest of Everest.

CHAN%2010713.jpeg

Listening to FSM's release of Ben-Hur at the moment. It never sounded better, the score that is. And especially around Easter this is a perfect choice.

Karol

The Greatest Story Ever Told by Alfred Newman

The Children of Men by John Tavener & al.

Minority Report by John Williams

Jurassic Park by John Williams

Hellboy by Marco Beltrami

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams

Stepmom by John Williams

Rosewood by John Williams

Stanley & Iris by John Williams

Cowboys by John Williams

Pan's Labyrinth by Javier Navarrete

Wall-E - Thomas Newman

Possibly Newman's crowning achievement for a Pixar movie. The bouncy woodwinds and percussion really capture Wall-E's character in the titular track, while Newman's characteristic textures and strings fit right at home in the post-apocalyptic "2815 A.D." It's all bitty and brief, but Newman does a fine job maintaining a balance between pleasant melody (especially the Wall-E/EVE bonding scenes) and his usual quirky writing. Just a magical score that fits right at home with the film.

"Dartmouth 1912" from War Horse.

Is that from an alternative version of the movie where Joey joins the Royal Navy instead of the Army?

:biglaugh:

Lol, nice catch.

NP:

Two_towers_complete_score.jpg

Listening to this now as well.

Oh, KK, you owe me some Alice/Oz ruminations as well. Listened to the latter last night and it didn't change my mind one bit.

Karol

I've been listening to LotR lately too, I'll share my thoughts soon.

I have been to (but my Complete "original intentions" edit of course)

I've been listening to LotR lately too, I'll share my thoughts soon.

Again?

;)

I haven't listened to LOTR in ages... maybe a track a now and then, but little more than that.

;)

Felt like rambling about it, perhaps with a fresher perspective?

I haven't heard it since the Hobbit craze, but I've been introducing the music to my cousins lately, and it just gave me a new sense of appreciation for it.

NP:

Two_towers_complete_score.jpg

Listening to this now as well.

Oh, KK, you owe me some Alice/Oz ruminations as well.

Karol

My review is coming up!!

The Two Towers - Complete Recordings: It's the first time I listened to this 188-minute score in some years (four, I think)

Moby Dick

Karol

OK all this talk of TTT is making me want to listen to the CR. It has been a while I have to admit. I might go through the entire trilogy during the weekend actually and then finish off with the Hobbit Special Edition soundtrack.

Oh and Moby Dick is a splendid score, almost like a seafaring tone poem of sorts. Some of the best music Christopher Gordon has to offer. :)

Oh and Moby Dick is a splendid score, almost like a seafaring tone poem of sorts. Some of the best music Christopher Gordon has to offer. :)

Sainton's is great, too, just in case he was referring to that one. ;)

Gordon's Moby Dick is fantastic. After years of relying on a CDR, I finally have an original copy in the mail.

Jurassic Park what else, but none of the 11 minutes of music.

The Fellowship of the Ring Complete Recordings by Howard Shore

Lincoln by John Williams

It is an overstated aspect that has been repeated far to much by Horners detractors.

Jerry did many score that sound the same, JW too, Barry too etc etc.

Horner still has in my opinion the track record for doing some heavy lifting note for note from his previous works. Sometimes it bothers me enormously and sometimes it doesn't. Still there is no denying it or that despite of it he is still one of the greats of film music.

:music:Rocketeer by James Horner

To quote Tom Hanks, to beat a horse that if not dead is at this point in mortal danger of expiring, Horner is the only composer who steals and plunders his own repertoire since ages so straight-eyed and almost dedicated to sometimes very mundane musical devices.

I find it absolutely obscene to lump people like Williams or Goldsmith (who developed this habit in his sixties after 35 years of totally contrasting and different scores) in the same general mold just because the tend(ed) to recycle certain elements from score to score - there is still an identifiable unique character to scores like PATRIOT or LINCOLN or CHAIN REACTION or US MARSHALS (even JG's most hornerized score, THE LAST CASTLE, has some unique traits). When i listen to Horners post-SNEAKERS work, there are of course splendid melodies and operatic pieces of great musicianship, but often his scores play like a long single work that only get minor variations here and there.

Barry is another matter, although his style/choice of films was so limited in later years that a special case should be made.

Be careful about beating that dead horse now, publicist. It's liable to end up on somebody's dinner plate.

You should tenderize meat. Tastier that way.

It is an overstated aspect that has been repeated far to much by Horners detractors.

Jerry did many score that sound the same, JW too, Barry too etc etc.

It was just intended as the obvious and necessary remark in this case, but since you're pointing it out, Publicist's post pretty much shows the main difference:

To quote Tom Hanks, to beat a horse that if not dead is at this point in mortal danger of expiring, Horner is the only composer who steals and plunders his own repertoire since ages so straight-eyed and almost dedicated to sometimes very mundane musical devices.

With Horner it's just so much more obvious than with most others.

Anyway, I adore Sneakers. And I only remember being bored by Beautiful Mind. I'd love for them to play something from Sneakers at the concert in October, but I guess chances for that are slim. At least I'll get to hear some Trek.

Be careful about beating that dead horse now, publicist. It's liable to end up on somebody's dinner plate.

You should tenderize meat. Tastier that way.
Not necessary with horse meat though, although it's similar to beef in most other aspects.

I'd eat horse. I like American Chinese restaurants, there's no telling what I've consumed.

I have been celebrating First Contact Day, whenever it was, with the film score.

Listened to Danny Elfman's Promised Land. It's a fairly brief 37-minute album. I suppose it might be a bit too ambient in some of its moments for most people and it doesn't really have a theme that I can spot (easily, at least). It has a similar vibe to both Milk and Big Fish. A small but charming work that for me is his strongest score of 2012. As stated in the other thread, his best works is nowadays mostly written for smaller non-blockbuster film. Take a listen to this cue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1X_92ySaOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0QzUyUWLDA

Karol

I get tired of duduks and some uses of the voice here, but then it has some spinetingling cues like this.

You mean more duduks tingle your spine? Or did you post the wrong track? The score does have its share of spinetinglers but Orestes' Offering is not among them, not to me at least.