The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

Well, in regards to TDK's plot. I generally wasn't confused, but I felt like Nolan and his brother put a lot of effort into over-complicating the storyline and drawing things out. Way too many characters and side-plots going on. I didn't even care about the mob or that guy in Hong Kong. It's also missing some serious fun. You get an occasional scene like the truck chase.

I would have to say the truck chase is the real high point of the film--too bad there wasn't some exciting scoring to go with it. The first time I saw it it worked with minimal music, but since then I've really felt the lack of music--and not in a good spotting way.

I do also think the parking garage scene is a pretty good little reintroduction-of-the-hero set piece.

the equipment designs have been terrible for sure. The bat mobile looks like crap.

You must be joking, the tumbler looks fantastic. A truly original and groundbreaking piece of design.

Sometimes it's like i'm talking to Stevie Wonder here...

The tumbler in Nolan's Bat-movies looks like it was a design that Wayne Corp had proposed to the military, but was tabled because of (presumedly) exorbitant cost, that makes it harder to justify against the existing fleets of Jeeps and Humvees.

The tumbler looks a lot cooler than if Batman had his own MRAP or Bradley.

Sure, a millionaire playboy should have a sexy car like the classic 60s Batmobile, or any of the cool rides that Burton and the other guy used in the 80s and 90s. But those aren't as functional as the totally military-based tumbler.

That's where the Aventadora will come into play...

Nolan's films have had a habit of having less-than-stellar initial images. The first pictures of the Tumbler looked horrible, and I've since come to really dig it. The first pic of Joker didn't come close to doing justice to either Joker's final appearance in the film or Ledger's performance. I don't have any solid reason to think this is going to be awful at this point.

Yep, I thought the Joker picture looked like crap when I first saw it. I have complete and utter faith that this film will look great.

the equipment designs have been terrible for sure. The bat mobile looks like crap.

You must be joking, the tumbler looks fantastic. A truly original and groundbreaking piece of design.

Sometimes it's like i'm talking to Stevie Wonder here...

:up:

I would have to say the truck chase is the real high point of the film--too bad there wasn't some exciting scoring to go with it. The first time I saw it it worked with minimal music, but since then I've really felt the lack of music--and not in a good spotting way.

There's no music so when Batman flips the truck and does the awesome U-turn up the brick wall, the theme can kick in. Choosing when not to use music is as important as choosing when to. I think the film is spotted quite well.

There's no music so when Batman flips the truck and does the awesome U-turn up the brick wall, the theme can kick in. Choosing when not to use music is as important as choosing when to. I think the film is spotted quite well.

That would be one way of doing it, but they didn't even do that in the film. The first bit of music after the truck is flipped is the Joker siren starting as Batman heads down the street towards the Joker.

However, even then I don't think such a huge lack of music is necessary to let that moment have impact--even cutting the music the moment the truck flips and then coming back in with the theme on the wall maneuver could work. You are right in that both music and lack thereof is important. Another thing with spotting that's important, though, is the use of music to support and/or reinforce the architecture of the film, on large and small scales. A musicless chase scene is not necessarily a bad call, depending on the style, type, and quality of chase scene. However, in many ways, this sequence is the emotional high point of the film--a high energy chase scene culminating in

the seeming victory of the protagonists

. So, not only does the scene on its own lend itself to a complementary cue, but (perhaps more importantly) its place and function within the film, IMO, really call for more.

That would be one way of doing it, but they didn't even do that in the film. The first bit of music after the truck is flipped is the Joker siren starting as Batman heads down the street towards the Joker.

However, even then I don't think such a huge lack of music is necessary to let that moment have impact--even cutting the music the moment the truck flips and then coming back in with the theme on the wall maneuver could work. You are right in that both music and lack thereof is important. Another thing with spotting that's importnat, though, is the use of music to support and/or reinforce the architecture of the film, on large and small scales. A musicless chase scene is not necessarily a bad call, depending on the style, type, and quality of chase scene. However, in many ways, this sequence is the emotional high point of the film--a high energy chase scene culminating in

the seeming victory of the protagonists

. So, not only does the scene on its own lend itself to a complementary cue, but (perhaps more importantly) its place and function within the film, IMO, really call for more.

I didn't get a victorious feeling from the chase scene at all. I think we all knew things were far from over. Maybe triumphant music would have altered that impression, but is that really what the movie needed?

When Gordon puts the gun to Joker's head, my theater started applauding. It was definitely a victorious moment. I can recall hardly any moments in the flick where the "good guys" (yeah, I know the Nolans portrayed everything in grey) got the upper hand. It was just constant terror, destruction, mutilation and death. So yeah, it was nice to have a little joy after a thrilling, popcorn-primed chase scene.

(yeah, I know the Nolans portrayed everything in grey)

Really? The heroes are flawed and vulnerable, yes, but I never got a sense of moral ambiguity. Only Harvey Dent falls. Even the hostages on the boats turn out to be alright. There is plenty of classic comic book storytelling in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Cool link, thanks for sharing.

Funny that Anne Hathaway's stunt double doesn't really look anything like her - including her much smaller chest. Cool how they were able to pretty convincing make it look like natural snow in the middle of summer

I am admittedly more hyped for this film than just about any in the pipeline that isn't Spielberg/Williams or Jackson/Shore related

I am admittedly more hyped for this film than just about any in the pipeline that isn't Spielberg/Williams or Jackson/Shore related

I am more hyped for this film than anything in the pipeline, including those that are Spielberg/Williams or Jackson/Shore related.

I just like seeing places that I know get used for this movie, and hearing the morning radio discussing it.

Actually, all the videos just look like they're filming Macy's Day parades through dahntahn Gotham with a bunch of cool-looking toys driving in boring straight lines. There are very few clues as to what the plot actually is.

Batman fights Miranda Tate and Bane. Selina Kyle steals stuff from him. The bad guys capture Gordon and Batman rescues him with the Batwing, but Gordon is hurt. Batman visites him at the hospital. Batman fights Bane and looses. He later wins with the help of Catwoman.

• 1 month later...

I don't think any other movie has been this extensively covered during production. Every other day there's something new. Batwing revealed! Batpod revealed! Catwoman revealed! Bane revealed! Ending revealed!

Does no one want to go in unbeknownst?

Yeah, I really don't get why people don't find Hathaway attractive.

Is it the connection to the movies that she's done in the past or are that many people in need of corrective lenses?

I don't think any other movie has been this extensively covered during production. Every other day there's something new. Batwing revealed! Batpod revealed! Catwoman revealed! Bane revealed! Ending revealed!

Hey... at least I didn't post an image directly this time.

But you do have a point -- I'm curious why more cameras have been able to snap pics of a movie directed by someone who definitely values privacy. Batman Begins, Inception, even The Dark Knight to a degree haven't been publicized to the degree TDKR is. Of course, when TDKR went into production, a lot more people were attentive than they were because of how successful TDK is. Then you have to factor in definitions of privacy and public access, especially since they moved production to Pittsburgh rather than move back to Chicago.

But to be fair, I haven't seen any scenes shot with Michael Caine or Nestor Carbonell yet -- so at least those will be safe from public eyes until the movie comes out.

Wasn't talking about you referencing the link, just about the whole coverage in general.

Maybe they think the movie won't do well because it won't have the hype of another stunning performance by Heath Ledger, so they're just allowing the public to be saturated with tidbits so they don't forget about this movie or something.

Wasn't talking about you referencing the link, just about the whole coverage in general.

I feel the same way.

Karol

• 4 weeks later...

After the Dark Knight, I cannot wait for this movie to come out. TDK was a phenomenal movie, well acted, well written, just overall well done. As for the score, the only time I've listened to it is when it comes on my John Williams Pandora station, so I'm indifferent to it.

As for Anne Hathaway I think she is a gorgeous girl, but I know her as the Princess Diaries girl and the girl from The Devil Wears Prada, I don't know how I feel for her as Catwoman

Ending revealed?

I never heard of that. Care to share?

A SIX minute *teaser*?

How long is the actual trailer? 20 minutes?

A SIX minute *teaser*?

How long is the actual trailer? 20 minutes?

Warner Bros. did this for The Dark Knight -- they included the prologue (aka the bank robbery opening) on IMAX prints of I am Legend on December 2007. A two-minute trailer was attached to regular 35mm and digital showings of I am Legend at the same time.

I'm not surprised they're doing it again. TDKR is literally the most anticipated movie out there.