The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

• 2 weeks later...

All the set pics of Hardy as Bane are really, really good. But I'm getting a definite Jason Voorhees vibe from this Bane, especially the "facehugger" mask. Not a bad thing.

I do find it interesting that

his character is standing on a Tumbler, talking to the prison escapees and tearing up a photo of Harvey Dent (either to rouse them into action or reveal Harvey's dirty secret).

Very much going back to the themes of both BB and TDK.

And Marion Cotillard is looking very good. Her hairstyle in Public Enemies and Inception wasn't flattering at all.

They're filming TDK Rises in Pittsburgh right now, and blocking off blocks and street to do so for the next few weeks. If it wasn't so far and on work nights, I'd be tempted to visit.

I won't consider this a spoiler: They shot a scene with Batman fighting Bane in broad daylight, with it "snowing" during shooting. It's expected these two will throw down, even without the trailer.

Photo link: http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=21055199&postcount=152

How bout you don't decide what is and isn't a spoiler and play it safe?

Uh, Batman fighting the main villain isn't a spoiler. Note how I'm putting spoiler tags on what happens afterwards, like when

Marion Cotillard shows up in the tan Tumbler, flanked by Bane's heavies

The scene I mentioned yesterday with Bane is a bit spoilerish, but it does have spoiler tags.

First image of Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle (no mention of Catwoman:

She's probably just going to be called that, or maybe "the cat" metaphorically speaking.

Like Two Face in TDK was always Harvey Dent.

I knew someone would say that, as I was posting it, but I didn't thought it would be you. I expected that from someone like Steef or the Englishman. How disappointing.

:lol: Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

selina_kyle.jpg

I don't really know what to make of this

This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl -

Anne looks great. I don't see why people are complaining about the ears not being there... it's only one scene. The lack of a cowl will probably look better in this scene, with the billowing hair and all.

Reminds me of Julie Newmar. Apparently this isn't the full costume, and that she will wear a cowl at some point in the film. That I think will be more cat-themed than this.

Looking through the attached articles at Jay's link, there was someone holding something that looked a bit more like a more traditional cat/domino mask, although there's no indication of a cowl piece or anything. I'm reserving judgment right now.

A thought that I have is this--what if Selina Kyle dons the Catwoman image as we know it in the wake of Batman's crippling by Bane (assuming that that happens)? I don't know, just a thought. It could theoretically work more or less like this, although I think it would be a bit lame. A mask with ears and a set of goggles is not that much to ask here. It's not likely it's going to drive the camp meters wild. But I suspect this is not the full costume.

That was a Tim Burton invention.

One that has endured for 20 years.

Not really. The cartoons have had her as a cat burglar, not a secretary, and the comics haven't changed her back story to a secretary since Returns. It seems that it only "endured" because people don't care to actually notice.

selina_kyle.jpg

I don't really know what to make of this

So, superheros don't need to keep their real life a secret anymore?

And I thought Superman was pushing it with nothing but a pair of glasses as a disguise.

"No, no one's nervous about it. I mean, honestly, like, wait till you see this movie. Chris is doing insane things in it. And it's gonna be marvelous and it's gonna be way beyond what anyone imagines that it could be."

That screams for a Hans Zimmer monologue about how many crazy thoughts he approached the score with, how he studied cat and bat types, travelled to the south American jungle to live amongst bats and wild cats to get a better understanding of how they tick.

To then proceed and write an astonishing, mesmerizing, yet intense and brooding ... repackaging of The Dark Knight.

:|

I think this looks terrible judging from these images alone. Admittedly, I don't think Nolan's Batmans have ever looked great. Don't really like the designs of anything. I'm not a big fan of the new series. Still, Dark Knight was entertaining. But this sure LOOKS like a bad threequel.

the equipment designs have been terrible for sure. The bat mobile looks like crap.

Nolan's films have had a habit of having less-than-stellar initial images. The first pictures of the Tumbler looked horrible, and I've since come to really dig it. The first pic of Joker didn't come close to doing justice to either Joker's final appearance in the film or Ledger's performance. I don't have any solid reason to think this is going to be awful at this point.

It was gutsy to take the Batmobile (and much of the Batman universe) in such a different stylistic direction, but I don't resent Nolan for making those sorts of decisions. I actually think they do a nice job of establishing a different sort of aesthetic that wouldn't necessarily work for all superheroes, but that's appropriate to a contemporary take on this particular superhero. If you want to criticize Nolan's Batman films, I think there are much bigger issues to talk about - the way the action is directed, the incomprehensible plot in TDK, the music, etc.