The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

Not by me. There's still something Hobbity going on.

And yet another Batman score by Hans Zimmer is infinitely less interesting to me than what Horner may do with Amazing Spider-Man.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't consider Zimmer a great composer?

LOL!

At his best he's OK, but he really lacks that certain something, whether it is training, instilled genius or something else, I dunno.

Also, with Zimmer, strip away all the technology, I wonder, what are you left with?

Actually...now that you mention it.

Pencil and paper are technologies.

If I strip Zimmer of his synthesizer he'd be screwed. He'd be puzzled by the pencil and paper.

If I strip Johnny of his pencil and paper, he'd be screwed. He'd be puzzled by the modern technology.

Looks like the NYC shoots are either expanding on the Pittsburgh shoots (more Batman/Bane fighting in the snow and Catwoman/Batpod action) or reshoots of the same stuff.

http://www.comicbook...r/news/?a=49474

It's probably expanded, since Matthew Modine wasn't in Pittsburgh this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The picture: Wow! Definitely looks like a man that could break Batman's back.

Re: The article: The film takes place 8 years later? Definitely surprised by that. The teaser attached to MI4 sounds cool, I hope it turns up online cause I doubt I'll be seeing MI4 in IMAX.

• 2 weeks later...

Beware, Zimmer is "overflowing with ideas" ! http://screenrant.com/hans-zimmer-dark-knight-rises-man-steel-sandy-142208/?_r=true

After the two-note theme from Batman Begins, the one-note theme from The Dark Knight, I can't wait for the no-note theme from The Dark Knight Rises...

Looking back at the history of these films I think it's funny how nobody seemed to be excited for the first one at the time of its production. I remember barely any publicity and/or excitement. The script even leaked way ahead of the film and nobody seemed to care. The trailers seemed generic and only when I saw the poster (the one that is the on the soundtrack cover) that I reminded myself of the film. Must be one of the worst ad campaigns ever. I was only interested in it back then, because it was made by this guy who directed Insomnia and Memento.

Karol

I thought it looked terrible, thinking that "Batman Begins" was the cheesiest title you could come up with, and that line they showed in the trailer where Wayne says "A guy who runs around in a bat suit clearly has problems" didn't help.

But then I saw that it starred Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson, and I was sold.

Looking back at the history of these films I think it's funny how nobody seemed to be excited for the first one at the time of its production. I remember barely any publicity and/or excitement. The script even leaked way ahead of the film and nobody seemed to care. The trailers seemed generic and only when I saw the poster (the one that is the on the soundtrack cover) that I reminded myself of the film. Must be one of the worst ad campaigns ever. I was only interested in it back then, because it was made by this guy who directed Insomnia and Memento.

Karol

It had a pretty poor marketing campaign. I knew almost nothing about the film before I saw it, as I was not familiar with Nolan's work at the time (or Bale's, for that matter). Ironically this actually worked in the film's favor for me, because I was so stunned at how good and different it was. The Dark Knight, on the other hand, had one of the best marketing campaigns ever, with the viral games, trailers, and prologue. The marketing as thus far been pretty lukewarm for this outing, but you could argue it doesn't really need it after the success of the last one. Just the fact that it exists already makes it one of the most anticipated movies of next year. And like Begins, it might benefit from a lack of information.

What turned me off to Begins was the designs of everything. Remember seeing the first images of the Batmobile and suit? Terrible. They didn't look any better in the movie itself. You just had to look past that stuff.

Oh I love batman and robin, but that's because it's so horrible. I am definitely entertained by it, but not how I should be. The same goes for X-Men 3, Home Alone 4, and many, many others.

When I first watched Batman Begins (about three weeks before its theater release) I was amazed how different it felt. Not only from the previous Batman films, but from blockbusters in general. It didn't rush the story and everything seemed to grow naturally out of it. Heck, it had a story and it was actually about Batman! Not a lot of CGI and a lot of practical effects - that was a real treat. It's not like I'm saying the film is perfect, Because it isn't. But it created a great sense of verisimilitude and the character never seemed more alive than there. Didn't exactly love it at first, but it intrigued me enough to watch again.

The Dark Knight on the other had, is an entirely different thing. It doesn't feel like a superhero film at all. More like a thriller, which Michael Mann or Scorsese could have directed (well, maybe). Which is even more new, since the character has been treated really outside of the box here, maybe for the first time. And no, this film is not perfect.

And while I'm waiting for this third one, I'm still very sceptical. Or, better yet, "cautiously excited". Can't imagine what could be done to make it different and really exciting. Or maybe I'm just afraid of "the third film curse"? ;)

Karol

Movieweb used to have it, but WB made them take it down after several hours. Very promising, even with the shaky bootleg quality.

Interesting how one scene in TDKR feels very similar to one in Batman Returns (although one can guess what it is), but Hathaway's performance has that menace and sexiness I was hoping for. That one line she had in the trailer is superbly delivered.

I hear you get a quick glimpse of Hathaway in the Catwoman getup during the 30 second "sizzle reel" at the end of the IMAX prologue. All the Hathaway scenes in the second trailer are Selina only.

Interesting how one scene in TDKR feels very similar to one in Batman Returns (although one can guess what it is), but Hathaway's performance has that menace and sexiness I was hoping for. That one line she had in the trailer is superbly delivered.

The whole film is reminiscent of Batman Returns, from the title, the snow, and Catwoman. Even the way Nolan describes Bane as a "movie monster" is not wholly unlike Burton's Penguin.

I'm sure that last thing was completely intentional. As a tribute to all the expressionist silent movie era, it conveys the mood and look of those. The snow gives the film almost a black & white look. The music contributes to that too.

I can see where the criticism towards the film is coming from. And I respect that. This is clearly NOT a Batman film. I see it as a 20's movies tribute, a political satire and stuff like that. It's a black comedy essentially.

Karol

Dont' get me wrong, there's a lot to love in this movie. But some minor scenes that really have nothing to do with the story arc really drag it down a bit in my view. Batman blowing up one of the circus thugs, Penguin taking control of the Batmobile, the magic batarang...

Dont' get me wrong, there's a lot to love in this movie. But some minor scenes that really have nothing to do with the story arc really drag it down a bit in my view. Batman blowing up one of the circus thugs, Penguin taking control of the Batmobile, the magic batarang...

None of those scenes bothered me. but to each his own.