“I SEE THE LIGHT” — TANGLED

Music by: Alan Menken

Lyrics by: Glenn Slater

“THERE’S A PLACE FOR US” — CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE

VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER

Music & Lyrics by: Carrie Underwood, David Hodges, Hillary Lindsey

“YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE LAST OF ME” — BURLESQUE

Music & Lyrics by: Diane Warren

http://www.goldenglobes.org/blog/2010/12/the-68th-annual-golden-globe-awards-nominations/

***DISCLAIMER***

I copied this from the FSM Thread because I didn't feel like typing everything.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, no!

While I'm really liking the 127 Hours score, it is no where near Oscar-worthy.

The King's Speech, while disappointing, was expected.

Dump Elfman and Reznor/Ross and I'll be happier.

I'd say The King's Speech is guaranteed for an Oscar nom. The Golden Globes are usually more lenient with their film score noms, so I don't think we'll see The Social Network return for the Academy Awards. Inception and Alice In Wonderland are very possible.

Please, no!

While I'm really liking the 127 Hours score, it is no where near Oscar-worthy.

The King's Speech, while disappointing, was expected.

Dump Elfman and Reznor/Ross and I'll be happier.

I'd say The King's Speech is guaranteed for an Oscar nom. The Golden Globes are usually more lenient with their film score noms, so I don't think we'll see The Social Network return for the Academy Awards. Inception and Alice In Wonderland are very possible.

I think Reznor and Ross are more likely to get an Oscar nom than Elfman.

I get chills looking at the videos of the old Oscar acceptance speeches for best scores. Just hearing the names announced gives me goosebumps and sad realization that those days are long gone.

I look at this list and it's meh....that's the best from this year?

I get chills looking at the videos of the old Oscar acceptance speeches for best scores. Just hearing the names announced gives me goosebumps and sad realization that those days are long gone.

I look at this list and it's meh....that's the best from this year?

The best from one particular group who rarely vote based on individual merit.

True Grit is no where to be seen in any of the categories. Have the Coen brothers finally failed?! :o

The (presumedly) complete score is on the FYC site. Not exactly what I was expecting. It's actually a full-fledged orchestral Americana score. Not particularly my cup of tea, I was hoping for something more along the lines of Burwell's suite for No Country For Old Men. The trailer music was very reminiscent of it.

Listen for yourself:

http://www.paramount...true-grit/score

It's good, just not what I was expecting.

I like it so far. Anti-Americana's will probably want to skip this one, but as I enjoy the heroic and patriotic sound of the Americana type of music, I really enjoy it.

My only complaint is that the composer had said in an interview that he would avoid Morricone or "the silly Americana", and was aiming for something more of that time. Sure, I hear no Morricone (which is a shame actually) but... What happened? Did he got his score rejected and had to write something new from scratch?

Thank god for Intrada, Varese, LaLaLand, FSM, Kritzerland and Prometheus.

;)

How to Train Your Dragon by Powell reminded me of more inspiring times of old Mark. It might be a tad excessive at times but overall it's magical listening. There are themes, motives, and development of them along with some pretty terrific variations throughout the score. I hope Oscar doesn't forget this film. It's way ahead of Wall-E, Cars, Toy Story 3, Kung Fu Panda, UP! and even Rataouille in my books for achievement in animation/storytelling, and that includes the music. There are parts of HTTYD that are almost as complex as Korngold's swashbuckler scores. That's saying a lot about Powell's skill.

I can't wait for 2011 and two original scores by John Williams that are sure to be better than anything composed this year.

Hopefully they'll be better than KOTCS then. And that's coming from someone who likes KOTCS. I just think if you're so confident in JW beating some excellent scores from this year (which coincidentally were not nominated) you'd better not ignore his recent track record.

Hard to believe that John Powell didn't make that list. I actually listened to a cue from HTTYD and it's as awesome as a lot of people have said it is. Powell could wipe the floor with Zimmer any day. Fuck Zimmer, fuck this Golden Globes bullshit. Obviously these people never heard of good scores...

Michael Giacchino's Let Me In is the best score I've heard so far this year.

Well it's certainly a solid score, one of his most mature to date too. I would have to see it in context to appreciate it more though. I am so glad I have a signed copy from him mind you. It's framed and on my wall. :)

Ugh - The Social Network??? What are the criteria the jury uses to base their decisions on? This soundtrack was so disgusting that it almost made the movie unwatchable to me (only the fact that it's a Fincher movie saved it). Granted, it may have been Fincher's intention to seriously disturb the audience, but should this kind of noise not qualify as sound effects then (or at least "songs")? The "score" does not at all reflect what's going on, nor does it enhance the portrayed emotions. It adds nothing to the drama, only to the general mood at best. Next they'll probably nominate somebody who bangs a chair against a wall while using a blender and a hair drier as ambiance for half an hour in order to represent chaos in a movie... Composing must be easier than I thought. And ranting is fun ;-)

Michael Giacchino's Let Me In is the best score I've heard so far this year.

I agree. I hope it at least gets the Academy Award nod.

I think Let Me In's death at the box office (hooray!) coupled with the subtle-esque nature of the score has probably not done its chances any favours. Which isn't a bad thing for me, as I don't think it's worth an Oscar win. I love MG, but I wouldn't want him to win for that.

People, people, people....the Social Newtwork score was nominated because a great deal of people liked it. You may accuse them of bad taste, but I don't think they're being disingenuous. People honestly like the score- and the same goes for Santaollala.

Not sure why Charlie is cheering Let Me In's death at the box office .It's in my top 5 movies of the year

And Giacchino's Let Me In is my most listened to "new film score" of the year