GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

As excited as I am for the new season with that fantastic trailer, I can't help but be disappointed at how they decided to follow the generic trend of loudly placing rock-like music (that strangely resembles Reznor in parts) over the footage. I really hate when they do that with fantasy flicks as the finished product usually turns out to be crap (although I know that won't be the case here). Clash of the Titans, Immortals, etc. It just gives off the wrong vibe and makes it seem like cheap entertainment rather than the awesome stuff it really is.

What a great trailer and using this epic trailer music track isn't a bad decision. To keep up or even increase the high production values it is important to be as popular to the general public as possible.

The over 2 Million views on youtube in only 24 hours prove that the producers succeeded and season three and four are pretty much guaranteed now... i couldnt be happier!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Those look awesome. Can't wait to see the 2nd season and all these fine actors at work.

Melisandre in the picture does not correspond to my idea of her from the books nor does Stannis exactly but I think Van Houten and Dillane will do a terrific job portraying them. Just keep grinding those teeth in frustration and anger Stephen!

That's Stannis?! Wow...nothing like what I imagined him to be. Melisandre, as Incanus pointed out, doesn't quite fit my imagination either (to me, she always seemed like a beautiful and manipulatively approachable woman with certain air of class and refinement to her).

Melisandre in the novels is portrayed as somewhat melodramatic character with of great conviction and faith. I always pictured her a fanatic in her own way but somehow alluring and rather colorful and a bit more fiery even in her appearance than what they have imagined for Van Houten in that image. But the performances will determine a lot. I have to say that even though several people in the series differ from my initial idea of what they should look like or be based on the novels, the actors have really owned their roles and I have now completely accepted them as the characters.

Brienne looks quite apt as does Davos and the old and glum Balon Greyjoy. Actually I hardly recognized Patrick Malahide in that lighting at first. :lol:

The poster is not bad, although the whole derivation from Winter Is Coming seems unnecessary to me. Why change such an awesome phrase? Winter is Coming works perfectly fine...everyone knows war is coming dammit, no need to be so straightforward about it...we're not idiots you know.

And here is a newly released video that the Messenger seems to have missed:

http://www.hbo.com/g...l?autoplay=true

Iceland! Wow, the ambition and scope of this series always continues to impress me.

On a side note, is the music in the background from Djawadi's score? If it is, it doesn't seem to have much of the droning of the previous score, but it still sounds equally synthy (horrifying mix in the first score, even for lower budget MV/RC standards). It sounds a lot like a crossover between Pirates of the Carribean and Skyrim...

The music keeps this show from being a favourite of mine.

This music is too subtle during the show so it doesn't hinder the viewing experience for me.

The score has potential and is arguably Djawadi's best score (which isn't saying much to begin with). The finale is pretty good.

Yeah it's subtle enough to not reaaly bother. Or maybe that's what's bothering me about it. I dunno, something's off.

Maybe it's because it comes out as lazy.

I think if had done it myself and I had to kept the music subtle, I would have gone with actual medieval music. Intruct the composer to research the thing and keep it diverse and add a twist or two to make it from Westeros and not Europe.

I also would have different main title cues each season!

OH I agree, the score can come as very lazy at times. Its a score with many flaws. Oh and don't get me started on this horribly cheap synths...With something like A Game of Thrones, in the right hands, the score could have the potential to rival Shore's LOTR in terms of thematic integrity. At first, I hated the score, but in comparison to most of Djawadi's mundane works, it actually sounded like he tried somewhat for this score.

I blabber on about this in a little piece I wrote earlier (and posted somewhere in this thread).

http://musicmusekk.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/game-of-thrones-ramin-djawadi/

The score was too subtle (often taking up droning) and is rarely given time to soar when the visuals begged for it (although the Finale was done quite well) and the action was too derivative with just standard percussion loops. But I think Djawadi actually tried with the themes with some genuinely lovely ideas for the Starks on the cellos..

Again, its a score with potential that is largely covered by its many flaws, we can only hope that he corrects those flaws for the next season.

And here is a newly released video that the Messenger seems to have missed:http://www.hbo.com/g...l?autoplay=true

:eh: Careful, Merciful One, careful... You don't know who you're dealing with! I'll tolerate this one remark, but that's the end of it!

And what about this video? You missed it, bitch!

Making Of Video: Working As An Extra

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QI5P_3b2RP0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Forgive me Messenger, it seems like its your turn to be merciful. But what can I do if you shall not do your duty properly ;)

Of course, I jest. I am no match for your Bloody Boal, you win this time...

All I can say is bring more Tywin Lannister on to the screen! Charles Dance for the win!

Tywin-Lannister-game-of-thrones-21005419-500-280.png

Oh and Beric Dondarrion!

Only two problems I have with what I've seen in the trailer:

1) The music is serious shit and I was hoping the Game of Thrones folk wouldn't follow the same generic trend in trailer music that most crappy films follow. Usually, fantasy trailers with rock/pop music end up being bad (Clash of the Titans anyone?)...but then again, they hired Djawadi :P Hopefully he'll do a good job with this season...

2) I'm not very pleased with Stannis. He does not cold or in a sense, massive enough to match what the book conjured up. And Melisandre is a bit disappointing too, but Stannis is the big problem to me...he just looks like some random knight....

Other than that and the usual sex driven touches, I'm very excited for this season!!!

Only two problems I have with what I've seen in the trailer:

1) The music is serious shit and I was hoping the Game of Thrones folk wouldn't follow the same generic trend in trailer music that most crappy films follow. Usually, fantasy trailers with rock/pop music end up being bad (Clash of the Titans anyone?)...but then again, they hired Djawadi :P Hopefully he'll do a good job with this season...

2) I'm not very pleased with Stannis. He does not cold or in a sense, massive enough to match what the book conjured up. And Melisandre is a bit disappointing too, but Stannis is the big problem to me...he just looks like some random knight....

Other than that and the usual sex driven touches, I'm very excited for this season!!!

1) With Djawadi disappointment is guaranteed. Cheap and generic. Electric cello, pounding synth percussion and something he must call tentative (= sound designy) underscore.

2) I for one am waiting to see how Stephen Dillane will pull Stannis off. One picture and line from him in the trailer is not enough to convince me one way or the other. I do know that he is a great actor though and that alone makes me want to see his performance as Stannis. I think there were a lot of actors in the series that did not exactly match my image of the characters from the books but they really have owned their roles by now. I am expecting this to happen with Stannis and the rest. Melisandre is a tricky one to pull off, being a strange mix of extremely melodramatic and mysterious.

Oooh very cool posters. I think The North Remembers will be my catch phrase this season!

So mark my words Messenger, the North remembers.

So mark my words Messenger, the North remembers.

Remembers what, old man?

That winter is coming bitches!

I really like that trailer, but the music choices for these trailers are really pissin me off. I get it that they're trying to appeal to a mass audience, but the music is so misleading. It gives the impression that we'll be watching something like The Tudors...not Game of Thrones.

But the trailer is epic (better than the last one).

Not a bad trailer, not bad at all. But again the choice of music was a bit awkward. It somehow clashes with the whole notion of Game of Thrones in my mind at least.

Btw the word "epic" has been and is suffering a major inflation due to the widespread internet usage. Everything on the internet can be and invariably is epic these days. :P

Not a bad trailer, not bad at all. But again the choice of music was a bit awkward. It somehow clashes with the whole notion of Game of Thrones in my mind at least.

Indeed. As I said before, it makes it seem like we're awaiting for something like the Tudors, not George R.R. Martin's epic fantasy...

Season 2 new opening credits

Seven hells, that was brilliant! Simply stunning! The impressive build off and development of the original premise for the opening credits is fascinating.

You can also hear a significant improvement on Djawadi's music! Simply listen to those last 15 sec. Some brilliant stuff there. If only such untalented, mundane composers like Elfman could ever reach that kind of musical integrity!

Very exciting...

I'm quite intrigued by the choice of Natalie Dormer for Margarey Tyrell. I always imagined Margarey as the sweet-hearted, kind woman (though not innocent) and someone the people would love. When I see Natalie Dormer, all I think of is the conniving, seductive and quite vivd Anne Boleyn!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see how Dormer plays this out, but I can't get the image of Boleyn out of my head. Damn The Tudors!

I'm quite intrigued by the choice of Natalie Dormer for Margarey Tyrell. I always imagined Margarey as the sweet-hearted, kind woman (though not innocent) and someone the people would love. When I see Natalie Dormer, all I think of is the conniving, seductive and quite vivd Anne Boleyn!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see how Dormer plays this out, but I can't get the image of Boleyn out of my head. Damn The Tudors!

Yeah I was kind of thinking the same. I hope she has not been transformed into a completely different character. Margaery is a strange mix of rather girlish innocence and kindness and sly and politically savvy manipulator with grandmother and mother pulling the strings for the good of the family. I wonder do the producers need the feel to spell out everything and make her an obviously power hungry man eater as the short snippets in the trailer seemed to imply.

Heh I don't have the preconception of seeing Dormer as Anne Boleyn since I have not seen Tudors so her performance has no comparison in my mind apart from the character in the novel.