GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Varese Sarabande Records has announced a soundtrack album for the second season of the HBO hit series

Game of Thrones

. The album features selections of the score from the show’s second season by composer

Ramin Djawadi

(

Iron Man

Prison Break

). The soundtrack will be released on May 29, 2012. Check back on this page for the full details, including cover art and track list. The label has previously released an

album featuring music from the first season

last year.

Game of Thrones

has been nominated nominated for 13 Emmy Awards last year and received the honor for Best Main Title Design and the supporting performance by Peter Dinklage who also won a Golden Globe earlier this year. The first season is now available on

Blu-Ray

and

DVD

and the second season currently airs every Sunday night on HBO.

For updates on the series, visit

HBO’s show website

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/04/09/game-of-thrones-season-2-soundtrack-announced/

FUCK ME! I can't believe Djawadi will get a CD release for each season, while Price's Robin Hood only got one release! THIS IS NBC!

And that is the greatness of Djawadi. Or the power of HBO's ultrapopular TV series. You can decide which.

But so many worthy scores from a number of TV series have been left unreleased while Djawadi has his non-descript mediocrity paraded through the streets with second CD release. Life is cruel and hard, and not only in Westeros.

Having watched two episodes of the second season now, I still have yet to hear any improvement in Djawadi's score...so until something exciting shows up (which in itself is unlikely), I'll just get the mp3 release...

It is my understanding that the entire series of books is called "A Song of Ice And Fire", and that only the first book in the series is called "A Game Of Thrones".

So then why is the television series titled "Game Of Thrones" instead of "A Song Of Ice An Fire", or some different original name, when they are planning on eventually adapting all the books?

If there is a reason, the Wikipedia article on the series doesn't indicate. I would guess that "A Song of Ice and Fire" is too wordy and doesn't sound as momentous as "Game of Thrones" would for a TV series.

But is there a "game" involving "thrones" that takes place during the entire series, or is that something that only happens during the first book/season?

If its the latter, than GOT is a silly name for the entire series

Your average couch potato guy flipping through the channels sees "song" and thinks singing competition. "Ice and fire" sounds like any late winter "fire and ice" festival in northern towns, with ice sculptures, or a Discovery Channel or Food network show about making such sculptures, which are cool, but doesn't convince me to watch a show about it.

"Game" implies sport. That's cool. "Thrones" is the visual imagery of all the wannabe kings sitting on the chair made of weapons that sells the saga. And Sean Bean....most the couch potatoes can't get over how cool he was as Boromir, and tune in.

Yes, people who walk into a bookstore will still see "A Song of Ice and Fire," but let's face it, if you walk into the bookstore looking for the books, you are someone who reads, making you a more nerdy clientele than the pure couch potato. You have to "know" the books are found on the Fiction "M" shelf for "Martin," or you just look for the TV series tie-in display with the above "game" and "throne" imagery selling the book series to the couch potatoes who went in looking for magazines.

Dug Episode II a lot,

although the title was flimsy given that it just referred to a vague reference about Rakarro.

I liked the Arya-Gendry stuff - I liked him apologising about talking about cocks - my memory is foggy though, in the book did they stop the caravan looking for Gendry?

My favourite scene was the Tyrion-Cersei scene - some good foreboding moments and another moment where you start to feel for her, and then realise she's putting it on. Like that Tyrion is mega-conflicted as well.

The sexposition was brilliant - the scene of Stannis fucking Melisandre over his battle map was a great juxtaposition over how she rules over everything there - the one true king indeed - and Carice Van Houten is really good in the role.

I like Yara (Asha) too - great to see Theon get put down like that, he's such a cocky twat.

But is there a "game" involving "thrones" that takes place during the entire series, or is that something that only happens during the first book/season?

If its the latter, than GOT is a silly name for the entire series

The entire series is about people vying for the throne of the seven kingdoms. A game, if you will.

From Wikipedia:

The novel name is from the words of one of the characters, Cersei Lannister, to her husband's friend Eddard Stark, after he accuses her of [stuff], and she admits them all in private. She remarks When you play the game of thrones, either you win or you die. There is no middle ground.

I suppose they could have named each season after its specific book title. That's what the English miniseries of "House of Cards" did. The second series was "To Play the King", and the third series "The Final Cut". Three excellent series by the way, just in case anyone here hasn't seen them.

BTW Haven't seen Game of Thrones yet. I'm thinking of picking up the blu ray of season 1 and giving it a shot. Maybe when it comes down in price a little. Say around thirty bucks.

I suppose they could have named each season after its specific book title. That's what the English miniseries of "House of Cards" did. The second series was "To Play the King", and the third series "The Final Cut". Three excellent series by the way, just in case anyone here hasn't seen them.

That's what I would have done. It's cooler. Plus the similar structure of the titles makes it clear that they're part of the same thing.

Dug Episode II a lot,

although the title was flimsy given that it just referred to a vague reference about Rakarro.

I liked the Arya-Gendry stuff - I liked him apologising about talking about cocks - my memory is foggy though, in the book did they stop the caravan looking for Gendry?

My favourite scene was the Tyrion-Cersei scene - some good foreboding moments and another moment where you start to feel for her, and then realise she's putting it on. Like that Tyrion is mega-conflicted as well.

The sexposition was brilliant - the scene of Stannis fucking Melisandre over his battle map was a great juxtaposition over how she rules over everything there - the one true king indeed - and Carice Van Houten is really good in the role.

I like Yara (Asha) too - great to see Theon get put down like that, he's such a cocky twat.

I for one did not quite like the Melisandre and Stannis scene because it goes against the grain of Stannis especially and the nature of the character. He is stoic, unyielding and stubborn to a fault, loyal to his friends and merciless to those who break the law. He is proud and is using Melisandre as much as she is using him. For political gains and for power.

For him to succumb so easily to temptation, especially that of flesh since he is so much about self control and considering such things beneath him almost, is a considerable deviation from the novel and spirit of the character I feel. And for what? Another sexposition scene. You had better ways of showing Melisandre's power over him than cheap roll on the table.

Other than that the second episode was great. We finally get to see the Iron Islanders. Got to love the way Patrick Malahide plays Balon. Cast has been excellent thusfar, the new people have really earned their place with fine performances. Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth does excellent job in portraying loyalty caught between duty and conscience. Carice van Houten is quite different from my initial mental image of Melisandre but no less powerful than the character in the novel.

First and foremost queen Selyse had become the devout follower of R'hllor which led to Stannis accepting grudingly the faith since Melisandre had gained through the queen his ear. Melisandre could show tangible and undeniable assets of accepting the faith when Stannis was desperate to further his claim on the Iron Throne. Religion is power and Stannis needed power. Hence he was using R'hllor as much as Melisandre was using Stannis and his men to advance her religion. It really works both ways.

You can see this tension between the characters in the novel and in the series (well not so much in the series now) since Stannis is not a man who would like to be manipulated but is through the necessity of the circumstances. He has never been comfortable with his role in this new religion.

But in the end he is pretty much trapped into this new religion and Melisandre's manipulations, the deeper it goes the tighter he is bound.

Dug Episode II a lot,

I for one did not quite like the Melisandre and Stannis scene because it goes against the grain of Stannis especially and the nature of the character. He is stoic, unyielding and stubborn to a fault, loyal to his friends and merciless to those who break the law. He is proud and is using Melisandre as much as she is using him. For political gains and for power.

For him to succumb so easily to temptation, especially that of flesh since he is so much about self control and considering such things beneath him almost, is a considerable deviation from the novel and spirit of the character I feel. And for what? Another sexposition scene. You had better ways of showing Melisandre's power over him than cheap roll on the table.

Well said Incanus (this goes for your comment below on Stannis' character). I really wasn't a fan of the ending. I would have preferred it if they gave that idea more time to fluorish and rather hinted at it (as they did in the books) instead of giving another bloated sex scene the show has built a reputation for ;)

Other than that the second episode was great. We finally get to see the Iron Islanders. Got to love the way Patrick Malahide plays Balon. Cast has been excellent thusfar, the new people have really earned their place with fine performances. Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth does excellent job in portraying loyalty caught between duty and conscience. Carice van Houten is quite different from my initial mental image of Melisandre but no less powerful than the character in the novel.

Asha was not quite who I imagined her to be, but other than that, the performances were perfect. Still loved the last episode, the only other exception was the montage of glimpses of sex (although it was rather brief). I thought that was done in poor taste. But I am really liking this new season.

Next episode, we'll see Renly and Margarey. Except it won't be the Margarey we all knew her to be, she'll be one crazy manipulative sex-driven, power hungry freak! That'll be interesting :P

Just saw the first two episodes of the second season. I realized I had forgotten a lot of the plotlines, because I had a hard time remembering what had happened and even the characters in the first place. Especially that king guy, Sylar or Silas or whatever his name was. I can't even remember him from season 1.

Stannis? He wasn't in the first season.

Ha, ha....well, that explains it. I can't really relate him to the other plotlines and characters, though. Is he another 'family' in addition to the Sean Bean one and the King Geoffrey one?

Season 3 will be 10 episodes long as well, and will cover the first half of the third book:

Yes, it's official.

HBO has ordered a third season of GAME OF THRONES.

Like the first two seasons, it will be ten episodes long. This one will cover (roughly) the first half or thereabouts of A STORM OF SWORDS, the third novel in the series.

I thought they upped season 2 to 12 episodes because the second book was longer than the first?

Ha, ha....well, that explains it. I can't really relate him to the other plotlines and characters, though. Is he another 'family' in addition to the Sean Bean one and the King Geoffrey one?

Yes, he's the brother of Robert, the previous king. Now Joffrey is on the throne with his curious parentage, he sees himself as the true king.

I thought they upped season 2 to 12 episodes because the second book was longer than the first?

Nope. There were rumors that they might (rumors that I mentioned in this thread), but they decided to stay with 10 episodes (for financial reason, apparently. Cheap bastards!).

That's too bad, 12 probably would have helped a lot. Oh well

Yes, he's the brother of Robert, the previous king. Now Joffrey is on the throne with his curious parentage, he sees himself as the true king.

And Joffrey is the 'son' of Robert, right? (although in reality, the result of an incestous relationship between Robert's wife and her brother)? So Joffrey is Stanni's nephew, in a way.

Did everybody just explain the whole 1st season to Thor?

Why didn't he rewatch it and refresh his memory that way like everybody else?

Nope. There were rumors that they might (rumors that I mentioned in this thread), but they decided to stay with 10 episodes (for financial reason, apparently. Cheap bastards!).

Damn, I still thought it was 12 episodes.

Well the series could use 2 more episodes each season. Or more.

Well, I could use 2000€ more on my paycheck each month. Life sucks. Deal with it.

Thank you for that BloodBoal. Always nice talking to you. And thanks for all the vital information you have provided us!

I don't see any trailer BloodBoal (but I think that just be my own comp problems). And you're right, the show is moving more slowly, but there is a lot more focus on the characters and their development, which I find fantastic. We'll see most of the action in the next episode I believe, with Renly and the meeting amongst other things.

And there was a theme for the Iron Islands? I don't remember that...all I remember is the descending motif for Melisandre again.