GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Clarke did a fantastic job of portraying Daenerys, by the end of the season, I really loved her!

As for the character, at the beginning, I was a bit hesitant about her and felt a little apathy towards her (don't rmb why now), but eventually she became my favourite character I rooted for (considering all the others keep getting killed off :P).

Long live the Dragon!

I'm really curious about the new musical score for season two. In my opinion Djawadi did a solid job on season one and delivered an average score which was better than i expected. Of course for a series of such amazing quality the music is a missed opportunity. Nevertheless his glossary of themes contains some good melodies and he did a good job on capturing the atmosphere of the show.

The biggest problem in my opinion were the bad drumloop-repeating action tracks. No motifs or any interesting developments on that end. The reason could have been a lack of time due to the very hectic production cycle with the late switch from Warbeck to Djawadi.

Now that Djawadi knows that he scores the biggest, most expensive and loved television series of recent times one would think that he ups his game much much further. He should pour every bit of soul, inspiration and effort into it that he can. This is his absolutely biggest opportunity to set himself apart from the mediaventure/RC clones and develop his own voice over the second season. This is his chance to get critical recognition and praise which ultimately should be every artists goal.

If he misses that opportunity he can be wholeheartedly considered a stupid fool. Let's hope for the best!!!

For all those who didn't notice all the season 1 themes here is a short reminder:

We have the Stark/Winterfell Theme, the Main Theme, two Themes for Daenerys, a Royal Theme (Used for the King's Arrival in episode 1, later used for Joffrey in his romantic scene with Sansa and also in a darker version in the credits of episode 8), a Motif for the Dragons, a Motif/Theme for the Night's Watch, the Stark Family Theme (used in Jon and Ned's goodbye, in the entering King's Landing scene and when Robb returns with a captive Jaime) and the Stark Children Motif (Bran climbing, Arya's training lessons with Syrio)

I'm really curious about the new musical score for season two. In my opinion Djawadi did a solid job on season one and delivered an average score which was better than i expected. Of course for a series of such amazing quality the music is a missed opportunity. Nevertheless his glossary of themes contains some good melodies and he did a good job on capturing the atmosphere of the show. The biggest problem in my opinion were the bad drumloop-repeating action tracks. No motifs or any interesting developments on that end. The reason could have been a lack of time due to the very hectic production cycle with the late switch from Warbeck to Djawadi. Now that Djawadi knows that he scores the biggest, most expensive and loved television series of recent times one would think that he ups his game much much further. He should pour every bit of soul, inspiration and effort into it that he can. This is his absolutely biggest opportunity to set himself apart from the mediaventure/RC clones and develop his own voice over the second season. This is his chance to get critical recognition and praise which ultimately should be every artists goal. If he misses that opportunity he can be wholeheartedly considered a stupid fool. Let's hope for the best!!! For all those who didn't notice all the season 1 themes here is a short reminder: We have the Stark/Winterfell Theme, the Main Theme, two Themes for Daenerys, a Royal Theme (Used for the King's Arrival in episode 1, later used for Joffrey in his romantic scene with Sansa and also in a darker version in the credits of episode 8), a Motif for the Dragons, a Motif/Theme for the Night's Watch, the Stark Family Theme (used in Jon and Ned's goodbye, in the entering King's Landing scene and when Robb returns with a captive Jaime) and the Stark Children Motif (Bran climbing, Arya's training lessons with Syrio)

I agree, the score was surprisingly better than Djawadi's usual drivel. The score is still very flawed, but its interestingly thematic (although they're super subtle).

All the themes have been mentioned here:

http://musicmusekk.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/game-of-thrones-ramin-djawadi/

Again writing bland themes, no matter how many there are, doth not save the score in my ears and eyes. I am truly hoping that Djawadi, as he is still composing for the series, would get a bigger budget, learn to write music and create something memorable. For me his main title was the only note worthy creation in the entire first season. I am still waiting for the music to say something instead of slinking ashamed in the background. Time of expressive writing of course is pretty much over with RCP fellows but one can always hope.

Surprisingly there was an orchestra in the score of the 1st season since while watching the episodes the music sounded so paper thin I was almost certain it was all synths besides the electric cello. What would the king's arrival sound with actual robust brass, what would all the scheming, love and battle music sound if there was some heart and real orchestral feel in it? Pretty damn magnificent probably if you ask me.

Now that Djawadi knows that he scores the biggest, most expensive and loved television series of recent times one would think that he ups his game much much further. He should pour every bit of soul, inspiration and effort into it that he can. This is his absolutely biggest opportunity to set himself apart from the mediaventure/RC clones and develop his own voice over the second season. This is his chance to get critical recognition and praise which ultimately should be every artists goal.

If he misses that opportunity he can be wholeheartedly considered a stupid fool. Let's hope for the best!!!

He didn't realize that by season 1, so I don't see any reason why he would suddenly realize that with season 2. Expect more drumloops for the second season. And some guitar riffs for the dragons.

Well, when he wrote the score for season 1 no one even knew if the series would be successful. In addition the shift to Djawadi was a very, very late decision. The creators of the show said so on the Bluray commentary. Djawadi initially after two days on the job even resigned and said he couldn't do it cause of his very full schedule. He then was begged by the producers till he changed his mind...

This sounds like he was under extreme pressure to create all the music on time, which certainly had an effect on the quality of the music. One would asume that his work improves now with more time to write the score and the positive feeling to score a critically acclaimed, extremely big and famous tv show.

I hope that too... if not then this is the kind of show that is so good on itself that it can survive some RC shit.

Just imagine what JW or Goldsmith would do/have done with such high quality material... or Giacchino or Bear McCreary as more realistic choices

I agree, the score was surprisingly better than Djawadi's usual drivel. The score is still very flawed, but its interestingly thematic (although they're super subtle).

All the themes have been mentioned here:

http://musicmusekk.w...-ramin-djawadi/

Good analysis! We pretty much identified the same themes and motifs :)

Time constraints can work both ways. They can be an obstacle but also a source of motivation if not inspiration, making the composer give his all to the project. I mean JNH did a great job with King Kong, Goldsmith delivered on a number of last minute replacement scores.

I am hoping (perhaps in vain) for a better score for the second season. Giacchino and even McCreary would have been pretty interesting choices for GoT though.

Too bad Mark Isham didn't get this show and Djiwadi was stuck scoring Once Upon A Time

Obviously the dream assignment would have been any combination of Giacchino / Tilton / Seiter / Datzman, but those guys are doing great work on Fringe and Alcatraz and I dunno if they would have time to add GOT to their slate.

Andy Price would not have been a bad choice. If he only was somebody in the business. What has he scored besides Robin Hood?

I hope that too... if not then this is the kind of show that is so good on itself that it can survive some RC shit. Just imagine what JW or Goldsmith would do/have done with such high quality material... or Giacchino or Bear McCreary as more realistic choices
I agree, the score was surprisingly better than Djawadi's usual drivel. The score is still very flawed, but its interestingly thematic (although they're super subtle). All the themes have been mentioned here: http://musicmusekk.w...-ramin-djawadi/
Good analysis! We pretty much identified the same themes and motifs :)

And Incanus, the main titles wasn't the only moment of note. There is the beautiful Stark's theme on the cello and the Finale was done well.

The thing is that these themes are so subtle that the score ends up being far too ambient for something like Game of Thrones. People who argue that Game of Thrones is a talking show and needs droning for a score should wake up and watch the show more carefully, there were so many moments in the show that begged for a powerful thematic statement but instead got Djawadi's tiresome ostinato instead.

And the recording/samples were BLOODY AWFUL. The strings sounded like absolute crap and was far below the standard of even an average MV/RC score.

And while there were time/budget restraints, if they thought the score worked fine for the first film, why would they want to burn more money on a real orchestra for season 2? Besides, the theme has gained some popularity across the net so they think the public really likes the score too, so I kind of doubt Djawadi is going to change much. After all, these GoT folk have already established their tastes in music with their trailers ;)

Yet despite all the flaws, doom and gloom around Djawadi's work, GoT was his best score yet (even though that doesn't say much) and it shows that he can write a thematically oriented score. Maybe he'll take the score in a fresh new direction...

But I SERIOUSLY doubt it :D

Good evening folks. Since the Messenger is growing a bit dull, here are a few clips that came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_2esDUnV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKQs1v2FDJA

Besides some of the cello bit, there is really nothing we can say about the music. But the show still looks as great as ever!

<div id="CLSCRIPT_communicationDiv">I'm still not happy with the dragon. They're still meh...but I've grown very critical of CGi recently (I'm rarely pleased about them now).</div>

<div> </div>

<div>And stop being lazy Chaac! Get through those clips!! The season is coming out this sunday people!!!!</div>

The dragon seems to interact well with its surroundings, I think that's the more important part.

I'm not seeing this season so far, still want to go through the books first. I hope you guys enjoy the show.

Damn it is exciting to see the first episode of season 2 tomorrow! :)

Do you know what would suck? If all this promotion was false, and the fact that there might be a premiere today was an April Fool's hoax! :(

I just saw the first episode of the second season and I have to say I was impressed. They continue as strong as ever. I consider the feel of continuum, which means that it feels like I am just watching the next episode just after the last one of the first season, to be very strong and an asset to the series. We literally continue from where we left off and never pause in our tracks. The story has clearly shifted gears and we have a lot of new people appearing and the story has gotten a bit more complex and moved literally to new areas but the feel is very strongly the same. Excellent new actors who while they do not look exactly as described in the book or how I imagined them in my mind deliver terrific portrayals of their parts and won me over quite quickly.

I liked the idea of the comet as a transitional visual effect, tying all the various strands of our story together. New locale's like Dragonstone were but a glimpse in the first episode, tantalizing, and made me wish to see them in their full glory. King's Landing was expanded visually very effectively as well. I like the Mediterranean look of the city with red slate roofs etc. that did not appear so prominently last season.

As an interesting note on the characters, Joffrey played so delightfully childish and psychotic by Jack Gleeson, a character you love to hate, has been made even more megalomaniacal than he is in the book. Martin's petulant child king who was very much a puppet for Cersei has suddenly become the ruler here, an interesting small but significant shift. Craster is a bit more civilized compared to the wild haired Wildling I imagined him to be. Still he is as vile as ever, Robert Pugh's performance capturing both his subtle bad temper and threat and his outwardly hostile and selfish attitude. Oliver Ford Davies' role is sadly very short but he is so instantly lovable and tragic as Maester Cressen it makes you sad to see him go. Stephen Dillane is terrifically by-the-book and unyielding as Stannis but still showing subtle emotion in the stoic character. Carice Van Houten's portrayal of Melisandre is a bit subtler than what I imagined her to be but in the end I think she captures the ruthless fanaticism the character has very aptly.

We are off to a good start I am happy to say! :)

P.S. Djawadi was really disappointing again. His synth sounding elaborations on what I think is the Lannister tune at the end of the episode was the only noticeable piece of music but it was awful as hell. Would it kill him to hire real brass for his orchestra?

Season 1 is almost availlable in the shops here and I'm thinking of buying it since I'm a big fan of many HBO shows. But then it dawned on me, I don't really like fantasy, I don't care for LOTR. Is this going to be a problem if I'm gonna watch Game Of Thrones?

Alex

Season 1 is almost availlable in the shops here and I'm thinking of buying it since I'm a big fan of many HBO shows. But then it dawned on me, I don't really like fantasy, I don't care for LOTR. Is this going to be a problem if I'm gonna watch Game Of Thrones?

Alex

Game of Thrones is more of story of power struggle between great families in a Medieval world with hints of supernatural and magic thrown in. There are small doses of fantasy among all the drama but mostly the story focuses on characters. The TV series has in the most recent HBO fashion a lot of sexposition and nudity which I feel oftentimes gets in the way of the drama but other than that it is a great series with a compelling plot and good acting. So disliking LotR should not be a problem when watching this series if you can handle Medieval style skull duggery.

I just saw the first episode of the second season and I have to say I was impressed. They continue as strong as ever. I consider the feel of continuum, which means that it feels like I am just watching the next episode just after the last one of the first season, to be very strong and an asset to the series. We literally continue from where we left off and never pause in our tracks. The story has clearly shifted gears and we have a lot of new people appearing and the story has gotten a bit more complex and moved literally to new areas but the feel is very strongly the same. Excellent new actors who while they do not look exactly as described in the book or how I imagined them in my mind deliver terrific portrayals of their parts and won me over quite quickly.

I liked the idea of the comet as a transitional visual effect, tying all the various strands of our story together. New locale's like Dragonstone were but a glimpse in the first episode, tantalizing, and made me wish to see them in their full glory. King's Landing was expanded visually very effectively as well. I like the Mediterranean look of the city with red slate roofs etc. that did not appear so prominently last season.

As an interesting note on the characters, Joffrey played so delightfully childish and psychotic by Jack Gleeson, a character you love to hate, has been made even more megalomaniacal than he is in the book. Martin's petulant child king who was very much a puppet for Cersei has suddenly become the ruler here, an interesting small but significant shift. Craster is a bit more civilized compared to the wild haired Wildling I imagined him to be. Still he is as vile as ever, Robert Pugh's performance capturing both his subtle bad temper and threat and his outwardly hostile and selfish attitude. Oliver Ford Davies' role is sadly very short but he is so instantly lovable and tragic as Maester Cressen it makes you sad to see him go. Stephen Dillane is terrifically by-the-book and unyielding as Stannis but still showing subtle emotion in the stoic character. Carice Van Houten's portrayal of Melisandre is a bit subtler than what I imagined her to be but in the end I think she captures the ruthless fanaticism the character has very aptly.

We are off to a good start I am happy to say! :)

Agreed, this episode was a wonderful start to the new season. The acting is absolutely top-notch (as expected). And I must say I'm pleased with Stannis and Melisandre (contrary to the mixed emotions I had upon the release of their stills). And you brought up an interesting point. The folks of GoT obviously know what they're doing, but its clear that they're going to shift some of Martin's literary intentions for his characters a bit for their own dramatic purposes. Joffrey was a good example and I'm not sure if I'm quite pleased with that decision but its fine as it is. Also, its clear Margarey will not be the woman we imagined her to be. Regardless, I'm quite confident this season will be freaking awesome.

P.S. Djawadi was really disappointing again. His synth sounding elaborations on what I think is the Lannister tune at the end of the episode was the only noticeable piece of music but it was awful as hell. Would it kill him to hire real brass for his orchestra?

Aye. I gave his score for season 1 a 3/5 star rating. There was potential to this score, but I'm so disappointed that he couldn't hire a real orchestra now with the great success of GoT. I mean he's still using those bloody awful synth samples (they're bad even to the usual MV/RC standards). I am glad that he continues to develop his previously established themes (which is probably more than I could ask for for a composer of Djawadi's caliber). He develops the Stark theme (in the Robb and Catelyn conversation), the Khalasar theme (guess when? :P), throws in a bit of the main theme ostinato here and there and I liked the robust variation of the Baratheons/King's Landing fanfare (Incanus, if you listened to season 1, you'll hear that the Lannisters get a separate theme entirely). If only that last cue was played by a real orchestra, it would have been SO much more satisfying. And finally, there is a menacing ominous motif for Melisandre. A disappointing thematic identity, but I'd like to see where he goes with it.

I think Djawadi might improve with this score, we just need to give the rest of the season a chance. But as it is, disappointing indeed.

Sounds good to me, Incanus and Bloodboal! It looks like I'm in for a real treat!

Alex

Sounds good to me, Incanus and Bloodboal! It looks like I'm in for a real treat!

Alex

I think you'll like it Alex. As it has been mentioned before, Game of Thrones is less a fantasy and more of a political drama set in the Medieval ages. There is some fantastic character development with a very strong narrative, and the constant political struggles of the varying factions of the land is something that will probably intrigue those who aren't a fan of fantasy too. I say, give it a chance :)

The first episode brought us back up to speed, giving a reminder of where we were at end of the 1st season. It was very clearly a set up episode for the whole course of events happening this season. I expect the show to pick up speed from second episode on.

But it is true that it becomes a challenge to juggle all these divergent story lines as the plot progresses. I hope they can do that without the episodes becoming too episodic with quick glimpses of everybody and no one getting a bigger share of screen and story time.

Oh yes and poxy and less poxy whores there are aplenty of. More than in the books. I guess the producers know what their audience likes.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Djawadi's music. That was bloodastic (bloody fantastic)! Lots of great musical moments!

There was this moment when... And that other moment... Oh, and that other cue...! The man is a genius!

Only the genius of evil!

Lame, Incanus!

Very lame...

Talk about pot calling kettle black.

Oh and I just saw the 2nd episode. Story is still brewing, some Arry adventures, Daenerys doesn't go anywhere (big surprise there), nice slow plot advancement and far too much sexposition. It is becoming a real head ache when they start linking events around the continent with sex scenes. Oh and every other character has been changed to a sex crazed fiend. I would prefer real drama and plot advancement and less tits and arses. There are some deviations from the novel in this episode as well. Let's see where they lead us in the end. Oh and a couple of new characters were introduced. Which was cool!

What is dead may never die!

Is this about my avatar! You racist bastard!

And now he pulls the racist card! Typical. Just typical. I can see the Nazi card peeking from your sleeve. Don't even go there.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Djawadi's music. That was bloodastic (bloody fantastic)! Lots of great musical moments!

There was this moment when... And that other moment... Oh, and that other cue...! The man is a genius!

Only the genius of evil!

Come on, you're unfair to him! He did some brilliant writing in here!

I never noticed that Robb's theme was a more developped version of Bran's theme (which makes sense, since they are both from the same family, only Robb is older than Bran)

It was also great to see Djawadi's use some notes of Drogo's theme and mesh them with Daenerys' theme. It shows that he's not really gone, that Daenerys still carries him into her heart. And it was a great idea to have Jorah's theme to resemble in some way Drogo's theme, as he (Jorah) is in love with Dany, as was Drogo.

But the greatest idead RD ever had was

to remove the last note of the Starks' theme, as it represents the fact that the head of the chief of the Stark family (Ned) was cut off.

Brilliant, I tell you!

EDIT: Just for your information, apparently, the second episode has already leaked.

Only the genius of evil!

Come on, you're unfair to him! He did some brilliant writing in here!

I never noticed that Robb's theme was a more developped version of Bran's theme (which makes sense, since they are both from the same family, only Robb is older than Bran)

It was also great to see Djawadi's use some notes of Drogo's theme and mesh them with Daenerys' theme. It shows that he's not really gone, that Daenerys still carries him into her heart. And it was a great idea to have Jorah's theme to resemble in some way Drogo's theme, as he (Jorah) is in love with Dany, as was Drogo.

But the greatest idead RD ever had was

to remove the last note of the Starks' theme, as it represents the fact that the head of the chief of the Stark family (Ned) was cut off.

Brilliant, I tell you!

To your previous point, Incanus was right. The first episode helps us get to speed and helps us become familiar again with the GoT universe. We get a little taste of all our favourite characters to know where exactly they are, leaving far more room for dramatic development in future episodes. Its basically a re-introduction.

EDIT: Just for your information, apparently, the second episode has already leaked.

Already? I'll watch it later tonight.

Lame, Incanus!

Very lame...

Oh and I just saw the 2nd episode. Story is still brewing, some Arry adventures, Daenerys doesn't go anywhere (big surprise there), nice slow plot advancement and far too much sexposition. It is becoming a real head ache when they start linking events around the continent with sex scenes. Oh and every other character has been changed to a sex crazed fiend. I would prefer real drama and plot advancement and less tits and arses. There are some deviations from the novel in this episode as well. Let's see where they lead us in the end. Oh and a couple of new characters were introduced. Which was cool!

What is dead may never die!

As I feared. The Game of Thrones appealed to more mass audiences is through the sex crazed additions. Yes, some of it is in the book, but I knew the show would exploit that and multiply its magnitude (potentially creating major character deviations). I'll watch the episode to judge for myself though and I'm still pretty excited.