GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Well yes BloodBoal it was a great episode indeed. I think the ball started truly rolling in the 4th episode but it is true that in the 5th everything falls pretty much in place in terms of everything (except music but that's just my small personal gripe). Lets hope the rest of the season will follow suit. :)

Watched the middling fourth episode earlier this evening. I hope now that magic has been introduced into it proper, it doesn't get a bit daft. No CG spells please.

Well unless they deviate from the novels, the magic is going remain quite a subtle element in the story. Which is good since it adds a lot of flavour but doesn't become generic and mundane when handled like Martin does it.

Glad you finally found some level of satisfaction in the series. I'd agree with Incanus that the show really picked up with the 4th episode, but this was the best episode in the season. Everything was handled with masterful execution EXCEPT the music and the beginning. You're spot on about the beginning which I felt was rather poorly done in terms of cuts and all that...And Pyat Pree's little scene had its fair share of oddities too. But other than, it was absolutely delightful to watch this episode.

And Pyat Pree's little scene had its fair share of oddities too.

"A fair share of oddities"? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? THAT PYAT PRICK SCENE WAS THE WEIRDEST SCENE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE PITIFUL AND MISERABLE LIFE! Bald people are already disturbing in real life, but this man... He took it to a whole different level! I hope he won't return, else I won't continue to watch the show!

Well as long as we are all sharing, I am afraid of carnies. Big hands. Creepy as hell. Bald men with blue lips can't hold a candle to carnies. Because usually the carnies steal the candle and move on. That's what they do! They are travelling caravan people from hell with big freaking hands! See what you did?!!! I'll never watch Carnivale now and it's your fault!

Damn you BloodBoal and your faultless Nicholas Cage logic!

But I think we got our Radagast's appearance for The Hobbit nailed right there! Who cares if the Lord of the Eagles has a crown as long as Radagast will be wearing a bird as one!

Pyat Prees scene was one of the best of the episode. So amazingly creepy and atmospheric. Also one of the moments where Djawadis simple score worked well.

And damn they really nailed the dragons. I also liked the blink and miss background appearance of the direwolf Ghost on the Fist of the First Men or the amazing CGI shots of Stannis fleet. I never even hoped that the show would have CGI so good.

Episode 8 S1 (The Pointy End) wasn't bad but I missed the pimp. Episode 7 (You Win Or You Die) is my favorite up till now. Love the dwarf but his English accent is terrible.

Yeah I know what you mean, but he's such a watchable character I give him a break.

Ooo Alex, you have the small matter of the penultimate episode to watch next. Hehe...

What an episode! EASILY one the best ones I've ever seen in this series (and best in the season). In fact, I'm not sure if I can really point out any faults with this episode. The storylines were handled masterfully and kept me thoroughly engaged for the episode's duration. From the enticing opening at Winterfell, to exploration of the plights of the other characters, everything was handled to perfection. You know how there are episodes in Game of Thrones where you'd like to skip someone's storyline to get on with the episode (ex. Jon's dull scenes in earlier episodes in this season)? Well there was NONE of that here. EVERY scene kept me engaged. I am very pleased with Ygritte and how they've handled her placement in the story. Well done. I felt the Winterfell scenes and the King's Landing scenes were so effective in building up the horror and suspense. Those were powerful scenes (especially the opening). Daenerys is lovely as always. A few things that I especially liked about this episode is the relationship between Tyrion and Arya. To go on, the scenes up in the North especially pointed out to how impressive the cinematography is as the shots in Iceland were quite beautiful. At the end, I thought the writers were going to ruin what would have been a perfect episode with a blatantly gratuitous sex scene, but it was not so (to my joy!). And this episode is one of those that really make you appreciate the brilliant cast lined up in this series. Everyone does such an amazing job of acting out their roles. Honestly, I can't pick out any flaw with this episode except for

the ending with the dragons being taken to the House of Undying. I'm not sure if going off-book was in such a manner was a good idea, but only time will tell

. That and the music which had some highlights but ultimately failed as usual. There were moments especially in the King's Landing sequence that begged for more prominent music, but all you heard were simplistic chords and mindless percussion ramblings.

Overall, I am absolutely overjoyed with this episode. Clear signs that the series just keeps getting better. Hopefully BloodBoal will finally be pleased with this one, you don't have your weird Pyat Pree scenes here ;)

Well said K.K. I agree for the most part. Indeed the best episode of the season thusfar, one of the best of the series. I really like how the writers have found ways of using the material from the novels in many ways and have done, while stream lining some of the plot tangles, an admirable job in staying faithful to the story as a whole. The pacing of the episode, the writing and acting were just excellent. Can't wait for more as the season races towards finale. :)

Daenerys' repartee with the spice king was rather fascinating since it was apparently so melodramatic. But the whole discussion is also a kind of show these people have to make for each other so they act a bit melodramatically, the audience of servants and followers in the staircase watching. I found it quite fun and very well done. Daenerys finds slowly but surely out that diplomacy is a difficult skill.

the ending with the dragons being taken to the House of Undying. I'm not sure if going off-book was in such a manner was a good idea, but only time will tell

I think it is a rather cleverly handled, motivation-wise since it gives more impetus than how it was done in the book, another in a series of similar entreaty scenes. This way there is much more at stake in the next episode.

I liked how Tywin Lannister has become a bit more three dimensional in the series than he was in the novels, a bit more human although he remains a rather aloof and grim and disciplined man, a supreme ruler as it were, surrounded by incompetents, who orchestrates the war for all fronts from his war room. Charles Dance's scenes with Maisie Williams are a wonderful mix of almost paternal dialogue and slight uneasy suspence as Tywin is trying to figure out who this clever cup bearer truly might be, Arya dancing around the questions, growing ever more worried. Also Tywin's obvious dislike of Baelish was deliciously evident in their scene together. Wonderful stuff which people should see and that was only known in the novels after the fact since none of the point of view characters were present.

Finished Season 1. I liked the ending. Will return for Season 2 but I don't consider Game Of Thrones to be essential. It's like watching True Blood or Dexter. Nice and fun but nothing more than that.

Alex

What an episode! EASILY one the best ones I've ever seen in this series

Indeed, I just watched the latest episode myself. Ooo shit, that tone just turned PITCH DARK. BrutaI, I love it.

Also, Mikko, a nice write-up on Lord Tywin and Arya there, but is it just me, or is Charles Dance just absolutely badass in the role? Massive screen presence in this.

Also, Mikko, a nice write-up on Lord Tywin and Arya there, but is it just me, or is Charles Dance just absolutely badass in the role? Massive screen presence in this.

Indeed he is. A joy to watch any and all of his scenes. And kudos has to go to the writers that they have added more scenes and material for him to make him more three dimensional. Actually the effect is much like in Martin's books. When you read the point of view of the so called bad guys there is something, if even a little bit, relatable in them and you at least in part understand what makes them as they are. During the show Tywin has slowly become from the inarguably bullying iron fisted father into a man highly concerned for his family, name and fame, now and in the future, which is really the thing driving him, giving a bit more depth than the role of a tough and imperious parent.

The way they shot his scenes of council from across the table, the beams of sunlight cutting through the dust and the smoke, just framed Lannister brilliantly. It's probably been the best set for me so far that one.

BTW, am I the only one who likes the main theme together with the animation at the beginning of each episode?

BTW, am I the only one who likes the main theme together with the animation at the beginning of each episode?

I think that is the one piece of music most people like in the show. Very effective combination with the main title sequence. :)

Even I like it, although I feel most of the underscore is not very remarkable.

The opening credits are the best since Star Trek Voyager and The Sopranos. The new arrangement over season one is much better, too.

Lee - who thinks the underscore is actually getting considerably better the further the show goes.

I love the opening credits and even the music for it is enjoyable. But it isn't the greatest main theme ever and the rest of the score offers very little.

If you're from the school of thought that says every score should be sumptuously orchestral then you will certainly be disappointed, yes.

After a frankly awful start, I think the composer is slowly finding his feet, creating a soundscape for the world and its characters which I think over time might become rather memorable for what it actually does pretty well: mood and ambience.

for what it actually does pretty well: mood and ambience.

I don't see what's the point. If I wanted mood and ambiance I could get better results playing with the cinematography and sound effects.

I always thought: have worthy music, or don't have any. This intermediate position of having some meandering background sound just because it's become common for audiovisual stuff to have music, without having a point to it, drives me mad. It doesn't have to contain music, let alone boring ambiance sounds. If audiovisual narration is supposed to bring together different arts, what's the point of treating one of them as if it didn't deserve the same attention than the others? It's even a waste of resources because if even they found a point at using music they have lots of medieval music that already exists and would make the show better, than this random meandering synth sound without a purpose. Or they could create something new an exciting. FAIL.

I always thought: have worthy music, or don't have any.

That's actually a good point, Chaac. I would say, music should add a new element to the scene and not confirm what you already know from the other elements.

for what it actually does pretty well: mood and ambience.

I don't see what's the point. If I wanted mood and ambiance I could get better results playing with the cinematography and sound effects.

I always thought: have worthy music, or don't have any. This intermediate position of having some meandering background sound just because it's become common for audiovisual stuff to have music, without having a point to it, drives me mad. It doesn't have to contain music, let alone boring ambiance sounds.

I couldn't disagree with you more. And that's without even bring Game of Thrones into it - which for the most part HAS been scored awfully drab and inconsequentially. But this is now about ambience as score, and whether or not you think it has merit within the medium. To which I say this: I wholeheartedly think the approach does have its place, whether you like it or not me old chum.

I've seen enough tv and film with that style of soundtrack to say with complete conviction that I'd be sad indeed if you ever got your way and such a style ceased to be prevalent.

Okay I didn't want to sound so black and white. But that's my raw feeling towards music in film sometimes.

Let's see. I love Cliff Martinez's score to Solaris (I haven't seen the film). There are expressive moods that I like. But, if we pick one of the very bad examples, we can see there's no "mood" anymore, because the low key underscore doesn't allow itself to express much. The ambiance can become monotone and the mood reduced to: without underscore/with underscore. And the underscore itself becoming ok with everything because it isn't really that expressive, it doesn't evoke a mood in my book.

In fact, this mood thingy i very interesting. I'd say music that evokes an interesting atmosphere is that which evokes a certain emotion, action and location (it sounds "specific" if you know what I mean) and thus it sounds like the specific atmosphere surrounding an event. That's however difficult to do. And it's also awfully subjective. (Sometimes it happens to me that the combination is absolutely lovely but unique enough that I can't find that much music that resembles the same (probably because I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject.))

I tend to dislike writing about subjective stuff that changes my thoughts about it as I'm writing, I never get anywhere lol

That's actually a good point, Chaac. I would say, music should add a new element to the scene and not confirm what you already know from the other elements.

That's a good idea, but complicated.

If you're from the school of thought that says every score should be sumptuously orchestral then you will certainly be disappointed, yes.

After a frankly awful start, I think the composer is slowly finding his feet, creating a soundscape for the world and its characters which I think over time might become rather memorable for what it actually does pretty well: mood and ambience.

Anyone can make the argument of the purpose of ambience in context, and I agree with the approach when done properly. But Djawadi fails to score the show appropriately. There are scenes in the show that begged for greater prominence. For instance, the riot scene in the latest episode really needed that prominence in the musical atmosphere. Whether it be atonal or tonal, there should have been presence there! Djawadi instead takes the lazy route and puts some mediocre, undermixed chords. And even for ambience, the synths are bloody awful.

I do agree this is Djawadi's strongest score because on a thematic level, there was more thought put into this than his other drivel, but it remains to be weak music nonetheless.

As heard so far, I personally prefer the first season's music over the 2nd season. And one thing is for sure, the positive talk over this score is blown way out of proportion.

As Chaac says above I also think it is a bit more complicated that that. It is quite a narrow field if you would just use music like as you state above. Music can and is often very effectively used in a way you describe but if you are going to take a stance that you are insulted intellectually if the music enhances e.g. the nobility or sorrow of the moment by sounding noble or sad then most film music, some of the greatest film music in history, is rather redundant. Which it is not. Sometimes the marriage of similar image and sound just works the best. And sometimes, oftentimes the most intangible element in the scene is expressed through music, which would be otherwise almost impossible to convey.

Djawadi's music to my ears is and continues to be rather mediocre with a few moments of decent dramatic instinct but I personally don't like the constructs and musical ideas he uses most of the time. If scoring a film/series with orchestral score is old, Djawadi's RCP formula has grown equally old in my ears. The droning, subtler than subtle musical ideas, sound design, drums, drums, drums in the deep and electric cellos/violins/what ever instrument can be made electric to produce a slightly off-kilter synthetic sound are just a norm rather than exotic or effective. The music sounds somehow tired to be honest, lacking in zest or vigour that would actually lift the dialogue, action or drama to a higher level. It sounds like it is just there because it is expected to be there.

I would have loved a score for this series that would do justice to its complexity and help musically define the world a lot clearly than Djawadi does. A decently sized host of clear and well defined themes might have helped the drama and story telling here immensely. Djawadi's music has themes yes but not very good ones in my opinion. Perhaps the film makers continually down play the score's role in the series or perhaps the composer wants to stay subtle or is out of inspiration but a couple of older than old arpeggiating cheaply synth sounding string motifs are not going to cut it for me.

Just take your tablets and take a few deep breaths. I hope you'll forgive my insult and call me a miserable twat or something worse. I'll still read you in the morning.

OK, calm down people! BloodBoal has seen the episode, and now, he will tell what he thought of it!

What an episode! EASILY one the best ones I've ever seen in this series (and best in the season). In fact, I'm not sure if I can really point out any faults with this episode.

Well, I can! While I liked a lot of things in this episode, there were also a lot I didn't like. Here we go!

And another thought: I was sad not to see Pyat Prick in this episode. He quickly became one of my favourite characters in the show. Yes, I didn't like him in the scene he appeared in in episode 5, but as soon as he left the screen, I realized I felt empty, like a part of me was missing. I want him back! I want him to team up with Jaqen in The Jaqen Show! And I want Beric Dondarrion as well! Oh, Beric Dondarrion, how could I forget you??

Now that's complaining for complaining's sake! :P

Huh...Someone's rather emotionally sensitive today isn't he?

Now that's complaining for complaining's sake! :P

Huh...Someone's rather emotionally sensitive today isn't he?

I had a shitty day at work, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the arm scene is stupid.

Tell me about it...this week has been a really crappy one for me. Things have been going wrong for me, left and right...oh the woes of life.

As for the arm scene, while it may have been a bit much I can definitely see that happening in reality though. And I don't think the scene takes much away from the gripping intensity of the scene.

Tell me about it...this week has been a really crappy one for me. Things have been going wrong for me, left and right...oh the woes of life.

As for the arm scene, while it may have been a bit much I can definitely see that happening in reality though. And I don't think the scene takes much away from the gripping intensity of the scene.

Heh arm scene... gripping intensity... :lol:

P.S. BloodBoal your hyperbolic reviews are quite entertaining but focus on just a few jokes and puns, not fly all over the place. It is much more effective.

P.P.S. High septon was actually ripped to pieces in the novel as well. Theon's capture of Winterfell was also glossed over in the novel very quickly. He had very few men so he basically infiltrated the castle and took out the guards while main troops of Winterfell were with ser Rodrik at Torrhen's Square.

Rodrik's demise was not supposed to happen as it did but it was very effective scene in the series though. The true siege of Winterfell will still come, if the writers stay true to the novels.

P.P.S. High septon was actually ripped to pieces in the novel as well. Theon's capture of Winterfell was also glossed over in the novel very quickly. He had very few men so he basically infiltrated the castle and took out the guards while main troops of Winterfell were with ser Rodrik at Torrhen's Square.

Rodrik's demise was not supposed to happen as it did but it was very effective scene in the series though. The true siege of Winterfell will still come, if the writers stay true to the novels.

Careful with spoilers not put between spoiler tags, Finnish Boy!

To be perfectly honest, the real problem I had with Theon capturing Winterfell was not the fact that we didn't see the battle, but rather that Bran and all the rest of Winterfell peons didn't seem to care that much. Theon is like: "Tell them I'm the lord of Winterfell, now", and Bran is like: "OK. He's the lord of Winterfell, now". There is no gravitas. It doesn't feel like something important happened. But like I said, Rodrik's death really made up for a lot of problems in that sequence.

And thank you for spoiling events that are still to come, dunderhead!

Thank you for reading spoiler marked areas full knowing they are spoilers, doofus!

P.S. You are pretty right about the lack of momentousness of the capture of Winterfell. Alas Bran the bran flake could not do anything to stop it plus they had the pathetic skeleton crew (not real skeletons though) in charge of guarding the whole gigantic castle. That's what happens when you take your men out from the castle. Although I have to admit Theon striking at Winterfell was left pretty hazy at the end of the last episode. It came as bit of surprise to me that he moved to Winterfell so fast.

Those spoiler tags are becoming confusing. As someone who's seen all episodes that have aired so far, but not yet read a single of Martin's books, I no longer know whether to open them or not.

OK I'll refrain from further novels related posts so there won't be spoilers concerning the future plot twists. Should we allow spoilers about the content of the episode once it has been aired or should we wait a day or two before speaking about plot twists?

They could easily represent an assault to a castle (as seen from inside the castle, hearing things, then enemies flooding hallways, stuff falling...). Or a combat that is partially fought in woods, instead of an open field.

I'm even sure you can get extras to participate for free.

They could easily represent an assault to a castle. Or a combat that is partially fought in woods, instead of an open field.

It was faster to advance the plot without wasting time on combat scenes. But the sudden shift of power in Winterfell left a bit disjointed feel as nicely as it advanced the plot.

They could easily represent an assault to a castle. Or a combat that is partially fought in woods, instead of an open field.

It was faster to advance the plot without wasting time on combat scenes.

Oh, come on! We're not asking for a 10-minute long battle sequence. Just give us at least 1 to 2 minutes, in order for us to feel a bit the violence of the conflict.

And, really, the "It was faster to advance the plot without wasting time on combat scenes" argument doesn't cut it, as they're spending coutless hours of screentime on sex scenes.

I wasn't trying to justify it. I was merely presenting what might have been their reason for cutting any action. I agree with you and I think the writers were in a hurry to get to this moment and they indeed made it a bit rushed and lacking in build-up.