GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

5 minutes ago, KK said:

If Tommen dies, Margery will act as Queen. But Cersei would probably try toget the Council to vote in favour of bringing power back to the Lannisters. Ultimately, the decision will probably come down to a conflict between the Tyrells and the Lannisters to see who gets the Throne.

Ok!

5 minutes ago, KK said:

By the time that's settled, Dany will sail in with her dragons, and burn them all to the ground.

:rock:

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Cersei has almost no power anymore. I think if Tommen died then Margaery would very soon be discovered to be carrying his child. With The High Sparrow or someone from the Tyrell family assuming a role as Stewart untill the new King or Queen is old enough. Lineage by blood is something which can be overlooked when there are other considferations at work. This is how it was done in Europe anyway.

Do you think Margaery would go out and bang other dudes to get pregnant if she actually wasn't yet, and then claim her child is Tommen's?

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

I just hope this all ends better than the Game of Mods did.

Blume really outdid Martin himself with that tragedy :(

Just now, Jay said:

Ok!

Do you think Margaery would go out and bang other dudes to get pregnant if she actually wasn't yet, and then claim her child is Tommen's?

Yes, she's shown to be nothing is not an extremely practical woman. When she was betrothed to Renley she didnt mind him being gay and doing her brother. She now pretends to have joined the Sparrows to keep safe. Margaery would fall pregnant very fast. The Tyrell family would support her claim. Possibly the High Sparrow too, since he thinks she is one of his flock.

This is far more likely then Tommen dying and people going "Oh well, we better send for the Dragon Queen".

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

What would the actual process be?

War between the Lannisters and the Tyrells. Chaos in King's Landing when the Faith loses its pawn and has to resort to force in its struggle to retain power.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, she's shown to be nothing is not an extremely practical woman. When she was betrothed to Renley she didnt mind him being gay and doing her brother. She now pretends to have joined the Sparrows to keep safe. Margaery would fall pregnant very fast. The Tyrell family would support her claim. Possibly the High Sparrow too, since he thinks she is one of his flock.

This is far more likely then Tommen dying and people going "Oh well, we better send for the Dragon Queen".

Gotcha, makes total sense. And would actually be an interesting story to watch.

Until Dany and Yara come and roast her :)

It's curious to me, this... the distinctions. 

After I watch an episode I might spend time afterward thinking about what happened in the episode and what has happened so far. I tend to leave it at that, though.

Whereas plenty of people, including all of you here, prefer to spend the same time thinking forward and use the latest information garnered to formulate and speculate over what might happen next. See, I don't really find any stimulation in doing that. I'm more of a listener of stories than anything else, I suppose. I want events to be revealed to me when they're ready to be. I don't want to turn stories I enjoy into workable formulas based on calculations I've made. Sucks the magic out of it. 

Question: 

Was Littlefinger involved in Ned's death?

I don't remember Season 1 or 2 enough.  Obviously he was in love with Catelyn, so did he convince Ned to go to Cersei when he found out Robert's children weren't his so that he'd be arrested in killed, leaving him to try to pursue Catelyn?

When he shower up at Harrenhal in Season 2 to talk to Tywin, did he say anything about this that Arya would have heard?

If so, why isn't Littlefinger on Arya's kill list?

You mean because he suggested he tell Cersei about his findings right?

Wait, wasn't Littlefinger also the one who set him on his path to even find out in the first place?  Where did he get that big book he looked up Lannister hair colors in?

9 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

After I watch an episode I might spend time afterward thinking about what happened in the episode and what has happened so far. I tend to leave it at that, though.

Whereas plenty of people, including all of you here, prefer to use the same time thinking forward and use the latest information garnered to formulate and speculate over what might happen next. See, I don't really find any stimulation in doing that. I'm more of a listener of stories than anything else, I suppose. I want events to be revealed to me when they're ready to be. I don't want to turn stories I enjoy into workable formulas based on calculations I've made. Sucks the magic out of it. 

For my part, this sort of speculation is not about predicting where the story will go next so much as trying to comprehend where things stand at the present. There's also the fact that George R. R. Martin's story is written very much in the style of a mystery, inviting the reader to try to piece together clues scattered throughout it (and at least some of this filters through to the TV show).

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

If so, why isn't Littlefinger on Arya's kill list?

I can't think of any reason that Arya would know about Littlefinger's dealings, other than what she overheard of his conversation with Tywin at Harrenhal.

I think the biggest change since surpassing the books is not the plot, but the dialogue; They no longer have GRRM's prose to pull from.

It's most noticeable with Tyrion, they have to write everything he says from scratch since since the books only got him up to just outside Meereen, not having met Dany yet.  Tyrion's had noticeably less juicy monologues this season than before.

Kinda makes it fucked up that Sansa and Littlefinger got so close then, eh?

As much as I like him, as the end game draws near I hope Arya kills him

Would he, though?

Does he have any motivation to make life better for the common folk?  His only motivations shown on the show so far have been money, power, and love of Catelyn Tully.

How is that different from most politicians today? They serve their own interests, and those of their followers if it suits their purpose.

1 minute ago, Lonnegan said:

Isn't the petty game taking place over thrones in the south going to be made to look rather quaint soon anyway? Isn't that the whole point? 

The fact is we actually don't know. Not for sure.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea I guess that's what I'm asking, I don't remember what she overheard.

In what we saw, she overheard him proposing the alliance between the Crown and the Tyrells. She appears to have left the room before Littlefinger spelt out his deal with Catelyn to release her daughters in return for Jaime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9jac7Qg9w4&t=104

14 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Isn't the petty game taking place over thrones in the south going to be made to look rather quaint soon anyway? Isn't that the whole point? 

Ya when the White Walkers breach the wall it won't matter who sits on the Iron Throne.  All the humans will have to work together to defeat the greatest threat they've ever face.  Stupid Children of the Forest, ruining the life of men trying to defend themselves!

12 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

In what we saw, she overheard him proposing the alliance between the Crown and the Tyrells. She appears to have left the room before Littlefinger spelt out his deal with Catelyn to release her daughters in return for Jaime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9jac7Qg9w4&t=104

Hmmm.  Well clearly if she knew what Littlefinger was up to, he WOULD be on her list.

So who DOES know what roles LF played in the capture and execution of Ned Stark?

Also, did LF or Varys or someone else have anything to do with Robert's death?  As far as I can recall, it was just a conspiracy between Cersei and Lancel, where Lancel made sure Robert got extra drunk (put something extra in his wine, or something) at that hunting expedition.... but don't remember if there was more too it than that?

The interesting thing about this discussion is that a (potentially) crucial plot strain from the fifth book has been completely absent from the TV version, at least so far.

57 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah I agree. I try to not look forward too much to what may be coming.

Winter?

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The interesting thing about this discussion is that a (potentially) crucial plot strain from the fifth book has been completely absent from the TV version, at least so far.

Which one?

(Reply in spoiler block)

Tyrion is sent south with a party to aid

Daenerys Targaryen in claiming the Iron Throne; on the journey, it is revealed that Varys and Illyrio have hidden the presumed dead Aegon Targaryen, son of the late Prince Rhaegar, to eventually install him as king of Westeros.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dance_with_Dragons

Oh right that one.  I think if that plot thread doesn't get referenced in the Season 6 finale, then they ain't doing it at all -- which could mean

the book character is an impostor or will otherwise never sit on the throne

Yes, quite possibly. Or perhaps the book and TV plot lines are simply going to diverge so much that the end result will be entirely different. Not too likely, perhaps, but it would certainly be interesting. The possibility at least should keep the books exciting even after the TV series is over.

(On the other hand, they HAVE crammed in some earlier book stuff quite late this season - I never expected to see Balon Greyjoy again so late in the story, or Jaime's diplomacy gig at Riverrun)

I actually look forward to reading the books after the show.  I assume Book 6 will come out shortly after (or during) Season 7, if its not ready before then.  Then by the time I actually start and eventually finish Books 1-6, Book 7 will be right around the corner, hopefully?  Depends on how much he drags his feet.  Maybe the show ending will cause him to write faster... or maybe slower!

I doubt I'll get as much enjoyment from reading them as I do watching the show every week and talking about each episode with coworkers and friends in between each one

I'm glad I read the books before watching most of the series. I started them shortly after season 3 started, and only afterwards resumed watching the series. I'm sure the Red Wedding was pretty shocking on TV, but it was a bit disappointing compared to the book. Also the painful Arya cliffhanger right afterwards wasn't in the series.

On the other hand, I wonder how the books' "hold the door" will measure up to the TV version - if it in fact plays out in the same way, that is.

Hmmm, I remember after the Red Wedding in the show, Arya and the Hound show up and see Grey Wind's head on Robb's body, and then The Hound gets her out of there.

What was the cliffhanger in the book?

The chapter after the Red Wedding is the chapter where Arya arrives, too late, outside the castle. It ends with:

His axe took here in the back of the head.

There isn't another Arya chapter for 180 pages.

I think The Hound was around when Petyr Baelish had the knife to Ned's throat.  If so, he knows, and if him and Beric Dondarrion stop by Winterfell on their way north, maybe he'll let Sansa know... and maybe Sansa will then be the one to kill Petyr, or at least arrest him or something.

I think when Ramsay told Sansa there's a part of him in her now, he didn't mean it literally (like that she's pregnant); I think Sansa's time trapped in King's Landing, then with LF in the Vale, then trapped with Ramsay has permanently psychologically changed her.  She ain't the prissy Princess she was in Season 1 any more.  When the dogs ate Ramsay, she smiled.

So yea, she might be more harsh on Littlefinger now than she would have been before.  In fact, I wonder what their interaction will be like next week, before a potential Hound visit makes things even worse for him.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think when Ramsay told Sansa there's a part of him in her now, he didn't mean it literally (like that she's pregnant)

Yeah I don't think he meant it literally, but the show could still use that dialogue as a bit of unintentional (on the character's part) foreshadowing.  I'm not 100% thinking that Sansa is pregnant, but it's certainly something I could see them doing.

Grand, we'll take them in the Republic. Landscape is much the same and Ardmore studios would be more than big enough. 

The Brexit process is to take two years after it is triggered (which hasn't happened yet), while Game of Thrones should be filming its final episodes next year (unless there's a major change to the normal schedule).