GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I wonder if we will see much Winterfell stuff next week. Im assuming it will be mostly Kings Landing, with hopefully an update on Bran and Ucle Benjen.

I would think as both a 69 minute episode and a season finale, we'll see final scenes for all the storylines on the show.

King's Landing - Will Cercei use The Mad King's hidden stash of Wildfire to burn down King's Landing rather than lose her trial, as a way to kill all her enemies (the Sparrow and the son that betrayed her) ?  Does this mean the vision Danaerys saw in Season 2 of an empty Iron Throne room with the Star of the Seven behind it with snow falling down was actually Ash falling down?

Winterfell - If Sansa's pregnant we'll likely find out, and we'll see what Littlefinger wants in return for saving the day.  Plus Davos will confront Melisandre, dunno where that is going though.  Jon will decide what to do with his life now - return to The Wall?  Stay in Winterfell?  Go off on a new adventure?  

Danaerys - I'm sure we'll check in with her... is she going to set sail with Yara & Theon right away?  Or stay in Meereen a bit to help rebuild and restructure and stabilize the city before abandoning it?  Will Daario go with her to Westeros or stay behind?

Varys - I think we'll see whatever he was going off to Westeros to do this week, I don't think that was a setup for next season.

The Twins - Preview showed Jamie in The Twins talking to Walder Frey.  Assuming he stops there to officially grant Riverrun to The Freys, what else happens?  Will he return to King's Landing in the same episode before or after Cercei's trial?  Will Cercei's prophecy of being killed by her younger brother come true?

Brienne - Will we catch up with her and Pod in the boat?  We she return to Winterfell for more eye fucking from Tormund?

Sam & Gilly - They've only been in a whopping 2 episodes this season.  Surely we'll finally see him studying to be a maester?  Perhaps he will learn something that connects to another storyline?

Ellaria & The Sand Snakes - Haven't seen them since Episode 1 .... surely we'll see what they are up to, what their revenge plan is?  Will they sneak into King's Landing to try to kill The Mountain or something?

Euron Greyjoy - Not sure if we'll check in with him or not.  Is he doing anything interesting besides building ships?  It's too soon for him to be arriving at Meereen, I'd think.  Maybe next season we'll get a cool sea battle between Dany's fleet and his fleet or something?  I do wonder if this episode will confirm that it was him that burned down Meereen's flight in Episode 1?

Bran, Meera, and Benjen - Of course we'll check in with them - Bran's only been in 4 episodes so far!  I expect he'll play a big part at the end of the episode... I think he'll have a flashback and we'll finally see what happens to Ned when he goes into the Tower of Joy (R + L = J), and perhaps he'll be able to communicate with Sansa through the weirdwood tree at Winterfell, and then Jon will learn of his parentage.

We might not see Arya or The Hound at all, with Episode 8 wrapping up their storylines for the year (as they are both traveling to new locations).  I doubt we will see Jorah Mormont either, unless his search for a cure for greyscale connects to something else happening now (supposedly he might find a zombie army that will end up fighting the White Walkers, but that sounds like a next season thing).

Since the title of the episode is "The Winds of Winter", I think by episode end it will be snowing as far south as King's Landing, and that we'll see The White Walkers preparing to charge the wall or something.  Bran will probably see this in a vision or something to end the season.

Am I forgetting any storylines?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since the title of the episode is "Winter Is Coming", I think by episode end it will be snowing as far south as King's Landing, and that we'll see The White Walkers preparing to charge the wall or something.  Bran will probably see this in a vision or something to end the season.

Isnt the title of the episode The Winds Of Winter? a reference to the new book?

I just hope we won't get another whole bunch of silly cliffhangers which turn out to be easily fixed next season like we got last year.

There's a possibility we might see (R + L = J), but I doubt Jon will find out. I also doubt Jon will leave Winterfell and his family now. Yes they have it back. But they barely have any troops of their own. The Wildlings won't fight for the Starks, only for Jon. And Petyr will be up to something too. Next season we will probably see Sansa and Jon trying to regain the loyalty of the Northern houses.

I wonder if we will see anything at the Wall. Jon might be gone, but the White Walkers will be coming. That could be the closing shot. The Night King and his army at the doorstep of the North.

I think that Jon & Sansa will send any living soldiers who fought for the Bolton side up to The Wall to take the black or face death.  That could be the only reason we see the Wall.  I think if we do see White Walkers mustering to seige the wall, they will be far north yet, and the wall breach won't happen until Season 7 penultimate or final episode.

I think Littlefinger will want to marry Sansa, to become Warden of the North.  If Sansa accepts it would be a loveless marriage, and I doubt he'd ever force himself on her, but I don't think she'd accept anyway.  She'll have to buy him off by granting him large amounts of land (which does she even have power to do?), or something like that.  Dude already has the Vale and Harenhal, soon he'll have more!

Hmm, if Sansa & Jon learn Bran is alive, then Bran would technically be the head of House Stark and Lord of Winterfell, not Sansa...

Wow, that's a lot to cram in one episode. And the show has never been very good at that to begin with.

It was nice of Ramsay not to set fire to the Stark banners when they collected them from around the castle to replace with Bolton ones :)

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Actually no. This is exactly the kind of obsessive, detail oriented kind of nitpicking that I really cannot realte to.

Jason, I'm surprised your OCD hasnt compelled you to ask how it was possible for Petyr to get a substantial army all the way from the Vale to Winterfell in a very short time. And without it being noticed by anyone in the North loyal to Ramsey.

1 minute ago, KK said:

I've got to say, after all the Starks have been through, watching these 10 seconds was incredibly satisfying.

I actually cheered loudly. I don't give a fuck where they got the banners from. Anyone who's worrying about that isnt getting what the producers were aiming for.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Meh. Only agree with #2. The Greyjoy scene could probably have been saved for the next episode.

As for #5, just because Sansa sent a letter, doesn't mean she had a guarantee that Littlefinger would show up. Heck, she probably wasn't even sure that the letter could have gotten to him safely. It was a desperate gambit, and she wasn't going to have Jon bank on that. That's probably why she asked him to wait until they had secured a larger force.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I actually cheered loudly. I don't give a fuck where they got the banners from. Anyone who's worrying about that isnt getting what the producers were aiming for.

I was smiling like a goof the whole time. It's a classic cinematic "hell ya!" moment. The same kind you get when you see Gandalf charging down to Helm's Deep, but of a muted variety.

It's just a shame that all 3 major battles shown on the show - all of which happened in even-numbered season's Episode 9s - all ended the same way, with a last-minute save by an outside army.

Tywin saved the day in The Battle of Blackwater in Season 2, Stannis saved the day in The Battle of Castle Black in Seadon 4, and now Littlefinger saved the day in The Battle of Winterfell in Season 6.

It would have been nice if they chose to stage this battle differently instead of repeating the same trope.

Maybe, for example, Littlefinger's army DOES arrive on time, its part of the attacking force, which gives Ramsay pause because he was expecting a smaller army.  Then the whole battle is mostly the same, except Sansa and Littlefinger are watching from a hill towards the end and Sansa is all distressed, thinking they are about to lose, when Littlefinger says "don't worry my lady, that was only half the Vale army" - and then the other half is what saves the day by flanking Ramsay's troops.  Boom.

Yeah, the deus ex machina strategy has really been played out in this show.

Hardhome remains the most brilliant sequence in this show so far. And didn't Stannis' army come save the day at the battle at the Wall?

I never considered Stannis' siege much of a real battle anyways.

Just now, KK said:

Hardhome remains the most brilliant sequence in this show so far.

It was awesome!

The only thing from this season that joins Hardhome on the list of brilliant, jawdropping Game of Thrones sequences is "Hold the Door." I've enjoyed this season but so much of it feels like setting the table for events to come, while "Hold the Door" was one of the few times where I was completely absorbed and in-the-moment if you know what I mean.

Oh I think Season 6 has had LOTS of really satisfying moments!!

-Brienne pledging herself to Lady Sansa, with an assist from Pod

-Sansa and Jon reuniting

-Lady Sansa putting the smack down on Baelish

-Any scene with Tormund eyeing Brienne

-Theon speaking up for Yara at the Kingsmoot

-Dany telling Jorah to find a cure for greyscale and come back to her

-Tyrion underground with Rhaegal and Viserion

-Margaery's rose-note to Olenna

-Sam taking his dad's Valaryan sword after not even spending one night in his house

-Wun Wun and The Mountain smashing heads 5 minutes apart in the same episode

-Lady Mormont!

-Dany burning ships while riding Drogon, with Rhaegal and Viserion breaking free and flying too

-Stark banners hanging in Winterfell again

-Yara and Dany meeting :love2:

Yeah, despite its faults, there were still plenty of good moments in the season. 

I love this show and think it keeps getting better and better every season.  I look forward to the final 2 seasons as well as reading GRRM's version some day.

Yes. It's very up and down on a per season basis, I think. I remember being awfully disappointed as far back as season 2, after the fantastic first season. 

Indeed. I remember enjoying season 4 quite a bit though. It was season 5 where the fatigue began to hit me, and it became more apparent at the start of this new season.

They even gave Jaime a line about Cersei burning things to ash when he talked to Edmure last week

Eh, no matter how much they foreshadow it, I bet few will fail to actually be taken aback by seeing it.  It would be quite a big deal, and the biggest thing this season, which has done this a few times now, to give the sense of serious motion towards an endgame.  And if The Wall comes down too, all the better.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

It's just a shame that all 3 major battles shown on the show - all of which happened in even-numbered season's Episode 9s - all ended the same way, with a last-minute save by an outside army.

Tywin saved the day in The Battle of Blackwater in Season 2, Stannis saved the day in The Battle of Castle Black in Seadon 4, and now Littlefinger saved the day in The Battle of Winterfell in Season 6.

It would have been nice if they chose to stage this battle differently instead of repeating the same trope.

Maybe, for example, Littlefinger's army DOES arrive on time, its part of the attacking force, which gives Ramsay pause because he was expecting a smaller army.  Then the whole battle is mostly the same, except Sansa and Littlefinger are watching from a hill towards the end and Sansa is all distressed, thinking they are about to lose, when Littlefinger says "don't worry my lady, that was only half the Vale army" - and then the other half is what saves the day by flanking Ramsay's troops.  Boom.

The Battle of Helm's Deep and the Battle of Minas Tirith both end with a last-minute save by an outside army as well.

Fortunately, episode 409 did NOT end with the arrival of Stannis. The Night's Watch did win that assault, and Stannis only showed up the following episode (and not during the actual battle).

4 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Jason why the banner in your avatar trying to have sex with the snow? 

Huh?