GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

1 hour ago, Lonnegan said:

Episode 3 watched and this 'High Sparrow' subplot with Jonathan Pryce is really bloody annoying and nonsensical. Joffrey would have put his head on a stick and King Robert before him would have removed the head himself, but suddenly this guy in a sack shows up in town humbly wielding an almighty and unquestionable power and it's as if the great line of Kings of the Seven Kingdoms never even existed, like the throne is hilariously worthless whenever those pesky sparrows are in town. It's complete bullshit and for me it is simply broken storytelling. I don't care that the book probably does a better job at making it seem convincing. Like Qarth before it they should have ripped this section out of the tv adaptation. 

So ISIS is bullshit and really bloody annoying as well? From a narrative point of view.

At episode 3 I don't know what you're referring to, but no; the fictional autocracy of King's Landing does not seem to share any similarities with the situations in Iraq and Syria. 

In the books the threat of High Sparrow's forces and the fear of the religious fanaticism spreading through the already war torn and tired lands was a major reason for the rulers in King's Landing to fear the church of the Seven's power. High Sparrow also duped Cersei into fully endorsing the reinstitution of the old Faith Militant military orders of the church, which gave the church even more weapons apart from the hungry and tired refugee and citizen mobs residing in the overcrowded capital.

It was also feared by Tyrells and others that someone might use the Faith in their bid for the throne and if disgruntled the church might just listen to such usurper.

So far the Faith Militant army hasn't been shown. Only poor wretches dressed in garbs and evil nuns.

The Catholic Church ruled all across all of Europe for centuries, and they also didn't do it with Faith alone, but mostly the enforcement of that Faith.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

In the books the threat of High Sparrow's forces and the fear of the religious fanaticism spreading through the already war torn and tired lands was a major reason for the rulers in King's Landing to fear the church of the Seven's power. High Sparrow also duped Cersei into fully endorsing the reinstitution of the old Faith Militant military orders of the church, which gave the church even more weapons apart from the hungry and tired refugee and citizen mobs residing in the overcrowded capital.

It was also feared by Tyrells and others that someone might use the Faith in their bid for the throne and if disgruntled the church might just listen to such usurper.

It's a pity the writers and directors have completely failed to convey any of that in the tv version, because it sounds half decent. Thanks for the insight.  

They've had some amazing directors over the years. I hope they pull a Breaking Bad and bring back their best directors over the journey to finish it off.

Well, isn't that interesting? The Brotherhood Without Banners are now indiscriminately killing small villages of poor, innocent people. Almost as if they've lost their way under new leadership. 

;)

Yes, seems like a setup that you-know-who is leading the Brotherhood Without Banners now instead of that Thoros Of Myr guy.

Speaking of that:

Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner did 2 Truths and a Lie for Yahoo!, and its easy to figure out what's what at this point

Maisie's:

“Arya goes to Westeros, back over the sea.”
“Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don’t realize it’s her.”
“Arya doesn’t cross any more names off her list.”

Sophie's:
“Ramsay dies.”
“Lady Stoneheart returns.”
“Arya checks three people off her list.”

Since it seems clear at this point there's no way Arya is making it back to Westeros and killing 3 people on her list (which incidently, only has 4 people on it now anyway: Cersei, Walder Frey, The Mountain and The Hound), that means Sophie's other two entries are true: Ramsay will die during or after The Battle of the Bastards, and Lady Stoneheart will feature this season.  As far as Maisie's list, it seems likely that she'll head to Westeros before the season ends, unless there are some shots in the trailer of her wearing someone's face, but I doubt it

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Hide contents

Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner did 2 Truths and a Lie for Yahoo!, and its easy to figure out what's what at this point

Maisie's:

“Arya goes to Westeros, back over the sea.”
“Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don’t realize it’s her.”
“Arya doesn’t cross any more names off her list.”

Sophie's:
“Ramsay dies.”
“Lady Stoneheart returns.”
“Arya checks three people off her list.”

Since it seems clear at this point there's no way Arya is making it back to Westeros and killing 3 people on her list (which incidently, only has 4 people on it now anyway: Cersei, Walder Frey, The Mountain and The Hound), that means Sophie's other two entries are true: Ramsay will die during or after The Battle of the Bastards, and Lady Stoneheart will feature this season.  As far as Maisie's list, it seems likely that she'll head to Westeros before the season ends, unless there are some shots in the trailer of her wearing someone's face, but I doubt it

Spoiler

I also think that "Ramsay Dies" was a truth and oh man they better make that good and satisfying.  Dude needs to suffer and Sansa needs to be the one who makes him suffer.

Well, I just got to the part where Khaleesi walked out of the great fire at the end of episode 4. What did folks here make of that? I thought the sequence itself made for some great hard fantasy imagery again, but everything else about the character's latest story directon and its cheap ass execution is just stretching my suspension of disbelief too far, again. I dunno, the way she just waltzes in and takes over entire people's all the time on a whim and with literally no effort whatsoever is just fuckin' poor.

Do you guys really just lean back into your armchairs and soak this level of storytelling BS up? Please tell me I'm not alone here. 

Who knew knocking some hilariously free standing torches over under a thatched roof could wipe out the generals and hierarchy of a people and have the survivors fall to their knees in instant fealty? 

It must be Game of Thrones! Oh that show, lol! 

I never thought I'd say this, but Game of Thrones the tv series is really missing a book. Actually, more than anything I'm disappointed. 

Yeah, aside from the initial thrill, that scene kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It also felt far too familiar.

But from what I remember, the other storylines were well executed in that episode, no?

There was some decent stuff elsewhere, yes (Lord Bolton, Jon reunited with Sansa, Greyjoy reunited with his sis). But not the High Sparrow scene. Also, the "a wise man once said..." dialogue being used as a simplistic basis for major plot developments plays like something out of a kids cartoon. Tbh, I think the writing this season has taken a bit of a nosedive, but it's okay because there's bound to be 1 or 2 brilliantly riveting episodes in the second half, just to keep me dedicated ?

6 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Also, the "a wise man once said..." dialogue being used as a simplistic basis for major plot developments plays like something out of a kids cartoon.

What are you referring to with this?

7 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Tbh, I think the writing this season has taken a bit of a nosedive, but it's okay because there's bound to be 1 or 2 brilliantly riveting episodes in the second half, just to keep me dedicated ?

That's rather disappointing. I feared that with the end of GRR Martin's books, the show would devolve into fan fiction, so I'm not in a hurry to pay actual money to catch up with the new season. 

There's some really awkward humor in the first episodes of this season, really forced material. Particularly the most out of place joke is the one the Dothraki tell each other when Dany is their prisioner. A "yo mama" sort of thing. Really cringe-worthy.

Yeah, the first couple of episodes is where the GOT fatigue finally really hit me. But it's entertaining enough to just see where the plot is going and finally seeing things start to come together. Hopefully it does pull through by the end.

The past seven episodes really have been feeling like their tying up all their subplots and steering aeverything full steam towards an end game. If anything, this sense of purpose is refreshing after the wheelspinning of season 5.

Not feeling that same sense of purpose AT ALL four episodes in, but I know I'm behind you lot so I'll be happy to agree in a few days fingers crossed. 

In those 4 episodes, you've seen the deaths of Princes Doran & Trystane Martell of Dorne, Roose Bolton (Warden of the North) & his wife and newborn son, Balon Greyjoy (who had declared himself the true King of Westeros), Osha & Shaggydog, all the biggest Dothraki Khals, all the Night's Watch who betrayed Jon Snow, not to mention his resurrection.  That's quite a bit of plot advancement.

And @WojinPA the season is far from fan fiction; It's their version of everything that will be published in Book 6.

Now the final 2 seasons, those could be radically different from GRRM's vision, but for now its more or less the same as the books (or essentially, as different from the books as Season 5 was).

Well for me a lot of killings do not a purpose make in this season of Game of Thrones so far. 

More than anything I get the sense that the show runners are really struggling to keep any feeling of focus and cohesion together this late into the game. Got to admire their effort, but there's just too many characters and subplots to keep a decent handle on. 

It's not just the killing; it's what it means.

Prince Doran is no longer in control of Dorne.  How will Ellaria rule in his place?

Roose Bolton is no longer Warden of the North.  How wilL Ramsay run things in his place?

The Dothraki Khals were burned alive.  How will the various tribes follow Dany (or not?)

Jon Snow has quit the Night's Watch, arguably breaking his vows (and arguably now).  How will the remaining Watch-men defend the Wall if the White Walkers attack without him or the wildlings there?  What will Snow get up to heading south of hte Wall for the first time since Season 1?

Etc

2 hours ago, KK said:

Yeah, the first couple of episodes is where the GOT fatigue finally really hit me. But it's entertaining enough to just see where the plot is going and finally seeing things start to come together. Hopefully it does pull through by the end.

I feel very much the same. It does seem to be going somewhere now and many characters take charge of their lives. But it just doesn't excite me anymore

But then, for me, Game of Thrones' main attractions were always production values and how it creates this intricate and rich world. And how it mirrors certain things from our own history. It's a fantastic riff on those things. The grand plot of the things doesn't interest me as much. Each finale scenario I can think of sounds a bit underwhelming.

Karol

The thought of Danaerys's dragons fighting the White Walkers doesn't sound exciting to you?

It's just a generic fantasy ending. I am more interested in the different families/factions and their political relationships. As I said, the depth of the world. It's quite a fascinating world. So yeah, I like the realistic aspects more than I do the fantastical ones.

Karol

The absorbing factions aspect has faltered for me considerably when compared to how essential it originally was. Now I just want to see The White Walkers lay waste to it all, in typical fantasy fashion. Game of Thrones is not more sophisticated than that. Long has its hooks and formulas been made clear to those paying attention. 

6 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

If the ending boils down to a heroes vs. villains confrontation, that will be tremendously disappointing, no matter how exciting the battles...

You've been setting yourself up for disappointment on this for years!  I do wonder if Martin and company have the balls to let the Walkers win the day because the rest of the groups can't stop squabbling, but I won't be terribly let down if they take a more predictable route.  I'm not one to obsess over the endgames of shows like so many others, at least part of the reason why I enjoyed Lost 100%.

18 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

The absorbing factions aspect has faltered for me considerably when compared to how essential it originally was. Now I just want to see The White Walkers lay waste to it all, in typical fantasy fashion. Game of Thrones is not more sophisticated than that. Long has its hooks and formulas been made clear to those paying attention. 

Then you'd probably hate The Wire.

Karol

26 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

You've been setting yourself up for disappointment on this for years!  I do wonder if Martin and company have the balls to let the Walkers win the day 

This would be my optimal resolution. Grim and hopeless as fuck for all, like The Mist. If Martin was true to his creation this is what we'd get an all, but I'm not so sure he has the bollocks for it.  

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, it is interested in world-building more than it is in telling a simple plot.

Karol

See I absolutely need both. But above all else I need compelling storytelling. 

I agree that it was always the world-building and production values that still keeps this as a regular watch for me. That and some incredibly nuanced casting. Funny enough, both of those elements are why the High Sparrow plot-line still does it for me.

But even there, I'm a little disappointed with this season. I was hoping for some more bone-chilling imagery for all the White Walker stuff, which were always the highlights of the more recent seasons. Not to say it isn't there. I'm sure you'll enjoy that episode, or at least parts of it, when you get there Lee.

I guess the loose threads seem more obvious when put against the dramatic change of pace. The filler scenes stick out more, and the formulas become more apparent (I mean really...all those deaths in the first 2 episodes...yawn).

Having said that, I can still have a good Sunday night with it, and I'm sure episode 8/9 will make up for the flaws, as usual.

Fans have deciphered the letter Sansa wrote in this week's episode:

"...to protect me. Now you have a chance to fulfill your promise. […] Knights of the Vale are under your command. Ride north for Winterfell. Lend us your aid and I shall see to it that you are [well/properly] rewarded."

No surprise there!

Also, here's the preview for next week

And HBO's official episode description

While Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) weighs his options, Cersei (Lena Headey) answers a request. Tyrion’s (Peter Dinklage) plans bear fruit. Arya (Maisie Williams) faces a new test.

3 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Who else made the connection the moment she shouted it out to him? It was instant! 

Yep, as soon as she yelled "Hold the door!" my hand was over my mouth and my eyes were wide.  Brilliant sequence.

Presumably the lack of discussion two days later about episode 8 is a measure of how average it was. Even the return of the guy with the coolest name in Westeros isn't enough to muster a response here! 

Is it safe to say now that the

Spoiler

Lady Stoneheart storyline is dead and buried? The producers were almost mocking viewers with all those hints then putting them, quite literally, into the noose.