GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

During the siege which opened the episode, literally the first thing that entered my head whilst watching was The Pelennor, particularly those long sweeping shots of Daenerys riding her dragon. 

Also, every single person on the planet who was sat watching last night was thinking, why isn't Rikkon zigzagging?? 

As for battle rankings, mine goes like this:

1. Hardhome

2. The Wall

3. Bastards

4. Blackwater 

The arrival of Littlefinger and the knights of the vale was reminiscent of Gandalf arriving with Eomer in TTT. The only difference was that none of the music for this show leaves any impression on me, it just sounds like synthesized blathering. The show is great, but it's just a shame (for me) that the music is so tepid.

Finally saw it - not bad.

I was expecting an episode entirely about the Winterfell battle, like other even-numbered seasons' Episode 9s, so I was surprised it not only opened with Mereen it went back there later too.

I didn't look at a clock or anything, but I'd guess the Winterfell battle wasn't long enough to warrant a full episode.  I actually liked the way the Mereen siege opened the episode before we segued to the "main event", but I'm not sure how I feel about the cut-back to show the Greyjoys parlay.  I think individually it was actually a pretty awesome scene, with some nice dialogue and interesting chemistry between Dany and Yara.  But, it was almost hard to really focus on it, when in the back of your mind you're kind of just waiting for the show to get back to the big medieval battle.  Might have been better to save that for next week's episode, me thinks...

5 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Also, every single person on the planet who was sat watching last night was thinking, why isn't Rikkon zigzagging?? 

Because he was a Stark and that means unflinching honour, unflinching honour and no brains my boy! Too innocent for the world!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

some nice dialogue and interesting chemistry between Dany and Yara.  

Daenerys' smug face only ever gets on my nerves at this point. I hope she gets slain at the end of it all, just to remind the girl she's actually mortal. 

Yeah it seems Daenerys is one of those characters you root for, then you realize she had to kill or was the reason so many people had to die. 

The strangest thing about the episode was all the beats about Davos / Shireen / Melisandre.  The "previously on" segment heavily featured Shireen and her carved stag; then Davos finds it, then he seems to want to confront Melisandre about it...... but I guess we have to wait until next week?  By delaying their talk, they seem to be building the event up to something bigger than it probably is.  Might have made sense for him to confront her this ep.  I dunno.

Where is this heading, anyway?  Do we think Davos will try to kill the Red Witch or something?  I find it hard to be that invested in either character, yet the show is heavily foreshadowing that SOMETHING will happen.

I missed the recap so when Davos stood there looking all confused over some wood in the snow I didn't have a clue what it meant, given that I'd completely forgotten all about the significance of some random little stag figurine from 12 months ago. Still, the shot was a pretty one I suppose. 

I probably wouldn't have had a clue what the stag meant at first either, had the Previously Own not seriously focused hardcore on it.

Then again, I probably would have quickly realized stag... Baratheon... Stannis Baratheon.. oh, this must be where Shireen was burnt.

I actually thought that Davos would lose his rag and kill Melisandre earlier in the season, so that she wouldn't be around any longer as a get-out-of-death-free card for Jon Snow. Instead, they just had him go "Don't bring me back again!" and her reply "Well, um, I might..."

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Where is this heading, anyway?  Do we think Davos will try to kill the Red Witch or something?  I find it hard to be that invested in either character, yet the show is heavily foreshadowing that SOMETHING will happen.

I am very invested in Davos as a character and Cunningham's performance, one of my favorites on the show!  I am invested in Melisandre only because she can make for interesting plot twists and turns, could care less about her as a character.

Davos is interesting, but I feel like since Stannis' death the show hasn't really known what to do with him.  I liked the scene where he convinced Lady Mormont to join the fight, but other than that I think the show should have done more to make him seem like a essential part of Jon's council somehow.  Maybe him confronting Melisandre about Shireen will be something good.

Both Davos and Melisandre were interesting characters to begin with, but fell flat for most of this season, especially the latter.

The shot where he stands over the Pyre and finally understands the madness of what happened in his absence was very emotional for me. He always had some reservations towards Stannis, despite his enormous loyalty. Now he realizes it was not deserved.

The Red Woman too has changed. She used to always be completely confident. Now she still claims to do the Lord Of Lights bidding, but doesnt seem as certain of her interpretations.

1 minute ago, KK said:

Both Davos and Melisandre were interesting characters to begin with, but fell flat for most of this season, especially the latter.

Both are far more interesting this season then they were last season.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I am invested in Melisandre only because she can make for interesting plot twists and turns,

and because she likes getting her tits out. 

Yea, I quite liked the scene this episode where she tried to describe how she follows the Lord of Lights signs... her faith seems so crushed since Stannis' death, even resurrected Jon doesn't seem to have restored her faith that much.

Maybe The Hound will show up with Beric and the other Brotherhood Without Banners peeps and that will come into play somehow?

Yes, the Pyre scene was rather poignant.

The Red Woman didn't make much of an impression this episode. I liked her in the beginning of the season, when her confidence in the Lord of Light was truly shaken. But since Jon's resurrection, she just walks around, with the occaisonal screen "cameo".

Yea, I suppose that for the viewers, we've known that Stannis burned Shireen for over a year, but it seems that Stannis truly had no idea until he found the pyre this week.  It seems a bit unrealistic to me that he wouldn't have found out until now, since so many people witnessed it, but whatever, I'll go with it.

My memory might not be serving me well, but outside of Melisandre herself aren't all the witnesses to Shireen's death dead now?  The show certainly made it seem like every member of Stannis' army died in the battle and his wife committed suicide. Was anyone else there?

I guess he's speaking more from the audience's perspective. The viewers witnessed this incident about a whole season ago and it doesn't make as much dramatic sense to bring it back up so late in the game, especially with the character that was most attached to Shireen.

Stannis's Army went into battle very shortly after the burning. And I doubt Ramsey would have taken any prisoners.

There's no way Ser Davos could have known anything more then what he was told by Brienne.

Just now, KK said:

I guess he's referring more from the audience's perspective, in a dramatic sense. The viewers witnessed this incident about a whole season ago and it doesn't make as much dramatic sense to bring it back up so late in the game, especially with the character that most attached to Shireen.

No, that's literally NOT what Jason said. He's used to modern times where a burning would have been big news on Reddit.

Yea, I wasn't thinking that every single person at that camp would have been slaughtered during Stannis' attack.  So I suppose it makes sense that Melisandre would basically be the only living person that would know about Shireen's death, and that she would have avoided telling Davos what happened if he asked her about it.

Just realized that by picking up that Mormont shield to protect himself from Ramsay's arrows, he basically used both a Mormont sword (Longclaw was given to him by Joer Mormont at Castle Black since Jorah was disgraced and didn't take it to Essos) and shield to take back Winterfell.  Neat.  I hope Lady Mormont is in the show next week!  I wonder how many of her 62 men survived?  Well, I guess at least one made it from the battlefield up into Winterfell.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It seems a bit unrealistic to me that he wouldn't have found out until now, since so many people witnessed it, but whatever, I'll go with it.

Everyone knows everybody else's business in Westeros anyway, that has long been established. Mobile phones would be completely pointless there. 

So will the opening credits next week feature Stark flags in Winterfell instead of Bolton?

Has the Bolton flag been featuring there lately has it? Cool! 

Still an absolutely brilliant tv opening credits sequence, possibly my favorite ever. 

4 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Has the Bolton flag been featuring there lately has it? Cool! 

Still an absolutely brilliant tv opening credits sequence, possibly my favorite ever. 

Seasons 1-2 featured normal Winterfell, with Stark flags.

Seasons 3-4 featured a smoke-filled, rubbley Winterfell.

Seasons 5-6 featured Winterfell with Bolton flags.

10 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Hopefully a Mockingbird flag...

Hopefully?  Really?

I don't want Sansa to marry Littlefinger and make him Warden of the North.  Just... no.

How about Daenerys & Yara as Queens of The Seven Kingdoms and Sansa and Margaery as Wardnesses of the North :drool:

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

So Sansa is pregnant with Ramsay's child, right?

sansa 2

anigif_original-grid-image-18076-1466433

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Oh God that's totally what's happening.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't want Sansa to marry Littlefinger and make him Warden of the North.  Just... no.

I didn't mean marriage; just that he's the one there in control of the biggest army!

Remember the plan he proposed to Cersei when she issued the royal decree permitting him to mobilise the army of the Vale? He said they should let Stannis and Roose fight it out, and then his army would sweep in and destroy the victor!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

So Sansa is pregnant with Ramsay's child, right?

No.