GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I think Jorah's illness is less about Jorah than it is for Samwell to get close to very important information or prestige. He already found the bit about obsidian on Dragonstone. Now he needs to find something on Jon's paternal lineage. Bran only knows about the mother. 

8 minutes ago, Woj said:

I think Jorah's illness is less about Jorah than it is for Samwell to get close to very important information or prestige. He already found the bit about obsidian on Dragonstone. Now he needs to find something on Jon's paternal lineage. Bran only knows about the mother. 

I think you're right.

I was thinking about all the Jorah scenes from Jorah's point of view, but they really are more about Sam.  As I mentioned above,

They are really making Sam out to be a major character finally.  He's been in every episode this season, and for a good duration of each one.  Now that he's copying all those old books over, I figure he's going to learn some other piece of information that will be helpful somehow.

But what makes you think what Sam will find in those old books will be about Jon's father?

I mean, everybody in Westeros already knows the story of how Rhaegar walked right past his wife and crowned Lyanna Stark the Queen of Beauty of whatever, and then "kidnapped" her, etc.  Doesn't Bran seeing that Jon is actually Lyanna's daughter make him instantly know he's therefore of course Rhaegar's son?  And also, what would Sam find in a book that would reveal this anyway, if everyone already knows the "kidnapping" story?

Of course Sam's gonna find SOMETHING in those books - and, possibly, Jim Broadbent actually chose the particular books he did becuase he wants Sam to find it, but I don't see how a book telling the same story people already know about her kidnapping will turn a lightbulb on for him.  But maybe I'm missing something?

The only loose end I can think of about that business is that both Ned and Howland Reed walked away alive from there and returned with baby Jon, so maybe Howland told the truth to a Maester who wrote it down at some point, but even then, I think Sam would just be learning what Bran already knows...

Yea, I just can't figure out what it is that he'll learn!

It's gotta be something to do with ancient history that no one's talked about for ages but has been written down forever, etc, I just have no clue what

BuyWhat Bran knows will not be enough to shatter the Seven Kingdoms to their core. He's just a crazy boy. Who south of Winterfell will believe him? 

I hope that Sam isn't meant to find something lame, like all Targaryen men have a birthmark on their left thigh in the same place, and that's how they will ID Jon. 

Truthfully in hindsight, I don't think Sam should find evidence of Jon's paternity in Oldtown. Ned Stark swore an oath to his dying sister to protect his nephew from his enemies, Robert Baratheon, who would see him dead because he is Targaryen and because he is the physical manifestation of the scandal that tore apart the Mad King's dynasty. Ned and Howland would not have been so careless in the south to leave clues. 

46 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Tutorial To Make Dragonglass Of Mass Destruction

How To Duplicate Dragons

White Walkers Are Not Your Enemy! or The Unlikely Allies To Help You Destroy Cersei And Euron Once And For All

Hot Pies: The True Weapon To Defeat The White Walkers

How to Train Your Dragon and How to Train Your Dragon 2

15 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Cersei will definitely die this season.

You really think so?  I've always thought she'd be alive at the end of it all.  Probably without much power, but alive.

14 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I did like the scenes leading up to this meeting, though), other stuff is happening way too fast to my liking (Euron and his magical fleet who is always where it needs to be at the right moment, the attack of Casterly Rock and Highgarden happening in 5 minutes of screentime)... When cool stuff we were waiting for so long is either disappointingly or hastily presented, it's a bit of a bummer. Anyway...

Random thoughts on the episode:

- I'm tired of Euron. Like really, really tired. They're doing everything to make him look cool, so powerful and all... It feels so forced. Just kill him already!

Agreed. If anything, the pacing was kind of weird in this episode. With so much happening, the episode just felt like a sequence of events, rather than presenting any real narrative framework.

And Euron is really annoying. I still don't understand how his magical ship, built in a fraction of the time of Yara's fleet, somehow destroyed the entire Greyjoy armada.

Why didn't Olenna stay with Daenerys on Dragonstone? Wouldn't that be the safest place for her? I guess she needed to be in Highgarden to oversee her army...

10 minutes ago, KK said:

And Euron is really annoying. I still don't understand how his magical ship, built in a fraction of the time of Yara's fleet, somehow destroyed the entire Greyjoy armada.

Yes, it's unbelievably crazy how fast he built his fleet. We're supposed to let it pass because in one scene we're given a shot of his men building them for a minute.

Another thing was how fast Jorrah's healing was, I thought it would take more than Sam peeling the scales off and applying ointment!

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The fact that so much stuff happens so quickly cheapens the events. There's not much weight to them as a result.

This. You're left with little reason to care about any of it really.

Ultimately, it boils down to the writing, I think. GOT still has all the right ingredients, but the writing is dull as dishwater.

I haven't really cared about GOT for a few years now.  The action spectacle is okay.  If the end weren't so near, it would be in a trash bin for me with The Walking Dead.

That said, I think Sunday's episode was pretty good, by recent GOT standards.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

I meant "the war for the Throne" plot, obviously. I think we can all agree the last season will/should be entirely focused on the battle with the White Walkers, especially since Season 7 is definitely going to end with a shot of a big phat breach in the Wall!

Indeed! But you seem to imply that the war for the Throne and the war with the White Walkers are two disconnected story elements to be resolved separately. I don't think that's how it will be.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion all face each other.

Cersei: "Kill him, Jaime. He killed our son! He killed our father! Kill him!"

Jaime: "He didn't kill our son. Olenna Tyrell did!"

Cersei: "I don't care! Just kill him!"

Jaime: "I am not gonna kill my own brother!"

*Stabs Cersei in the heart*

THE END

:lol:

48 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Why didn't Olenna stay with Daenerys on Dragonstone? Wouldn't that be the safest place for her? I guess she needed to be in Highgarden to oversee her army...

So she can have her bad ass tete-a-tete with Jaime to end the episode!

Another thing was how fast Jorrah's healing was, I thought it would take more than Sam peeling the scales off and applying ointment!

Yea, that's kind of a bummer

21 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Stop being so cryptic and explain yourself more clearly!

Hehe...didn't mean to be cryptic; I don't have thoughts that are much more specific than those I posted, but here's an attempt at clarification...

George R. R. Martin is too ambitious a writer for me to believe that the resolution to his magnum opus will be about who finally sits on the throne. Rather, it will be about a fundamental change in the nature of governance in Westeros, probably to something more stable and robust than the current set-up. This is the sort of area in which his main interests lie, and will be the principal overarching theme of the story. So why would he (the man who famously declared that "we don't need any more Dark Lords") tack on a separate story about ice demons coming to annihilate all civilisation, an overwhelming threat which seems to render everything else in the story a waste of time? Because, I would suggest, this will be the catalyst which forces the change in the nature of governance (whatever the internal motivations of the White Walkers might be); which breaks the wheel, as someone put it.

As a corollary of this, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that there will be a  (temporary) resolution of the "war for the throne" story at the end of these seven episodes. It's possible, certainly, but not inevitable.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I personally believe it'll be Littlefinger

I'll take that bet!

I predict that Littlefinger will be dead before the Season 7 finale (or maybe in that last episode).

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Then she'll remove her mask, and will be revealed to be Arya. Suddenly, before will get to Littlefinger realize what happened, the real Sansa will have stabbed him in the back!

That...sounds like something the show would do....

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I just don't see the story (at least in the show) continue with both the war in Westeros and the war with the White Walkers happening concurrently. If there's anything the previous seasons have taught us, it's that Benioff, Weiss and co try to streamline things as much as possible.

But wouldn't it be more on point, and more streamlined, to have the calamity of the White Walkers befall a realm which is already suffering the chaos of civil war? Having that war resolved, and yet another backside installed on the Iron Throne, only for a new conflict to break out as soon as peace seemed to have been achieved feels like it could be more cumbersome. This is especially true when you bear in mind that these final thirteen episodes cover the part of the story which Benioff and Weiss previously envisaged as a single concluding season.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Sure, he became lord of the Eyrie, but that's still peanuts considered to what his ultimate objective must be.

What is his ultimate objective, though? As he said himself, "The climb is all there is!" If he ever reached the top of the ladder, wherever that is, I don't think he'd know what to do with himself!

I think Littlefinger will start to get more and more pissed with each of Sansa's rejections that it will force him to assume some control over the events, perhaps a similar predicament to Joffrey's relationship with her; he'll force her into a compromising position of doing his bidding or seeing her siblings suffer. His love/obsession for her will be his undoing. Of course, I don't think he could harm her, he cares too much for her, but that won't stop him from harming everyone else she knows just to get her into his cage!

Not really a spoiler, it was Cersei's revenge to keep her alive! 

The Whole Dorne subplot

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Hide contents

So, this is how the story of the Sand family ends? Well, that's rather disappointing... The whole Dorne subplot now feels pretty pointless, unless there'll be more to it somehow (just not with Ellaria)... What I find interesting thought is what it could mean for the rest of the season. Either that means Daenerys won't take King's Landing this season (since surely she'd free Ellaria then) or she'll arrive there too late and all she'll find will be Ellaria's rotting corpse.

just seemed wasteful anyway, just another thing for The Lannisters to sink their teeth into for spectacle. "Ooh, Dorne, a new exotic place, ooh, Oberyn he likes men and women, ooh, Ellaria killed Cersei's daughter, ooh look, there's three gimmick sisters!" 

What piffle! 

[Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] called me, but I kind of knew already. Obviously there’s lots of trimming going on. It’s all coming to a head and you have to get rid of less important characters that the audience hasn’t had the chance to invest in as much. So I was expecting it. I wasn’t heartbroken.

This general attitude to GOT's character writing is what's made GOT pretty hollow lately.

They included too much shite from Martin's books that have no pay off. 

Including Dorne wasn't a mistake. Including the Sand Snakes was.

its going to be an even bigger mess in th books (that will never be released anyway. 

The Dorne material was actually pretty intriguing in the books though.

The over-simplification of Martin's endless narrative threads have made the show far less interesting.