Quality of film music discussion.

Kevin

The places I go:

Filmtracks - While people may bash Film Score Monthly for the low quality of discussion, I really think that Filmtracks is the ghetto of film music discussion in the online world. I can justify it through, the lack of discipline or monitoring by Christian Clemmensen (site operator). Simply put, he just allows anything to be put on the forum; religious trolls, picture of male genitals, political rants, anything. There's probably a reason why businesses can less willing to put advertisements on Filmtracks, with the recession as a convenient excuse. Plus, the film score topics on the board sort of repeat themselves after a while. Some of the poster there just take CC's opinions and make them their own, rather than thinking for themselves (an example is the flaming of The Social Network score).

(Warning: I may be biased because I was banned from Filmtracks, because a few elitist influential people, who did not like me, and had Christian's ear).

Film Score Monthly - While people have had their fun over the years poking fun at FSM and its users, there are a few decent things about it. First is the quantity of users that visit Film Score Monthly every day. Another is that there is a dedicated moderator that keeps people [relatively] in line with the forum rules and such. If you don't flame anyone or start a controversial thread, Film Score Monthly is not a bad place to talk about film music. That being said, it's nostalgic station number one (alot of older people on there), where sweeping generalizations are made about modern film music everyday and the prejudice of the only way to score a movie is with a 100 piece orchestra and not electronics is always present and visible. And that they want every score released, no matter how mediocre, and will act like children if it isn't released.

MainTitles - Small and lesser known than the two mentioned above. Its nature is very European (with a few North Americans, like myself). It's very intimate (like a pub) with a clique of users already there, so if you're a bit of an outsider, you probably would be there too.

Movie Music UK - Dead.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't read any boards other than here and FSM any more.

And the FSM board software is so archaic its frustrating at times - why don't they update to more modern software? It's insane you can't quote posts nicely and can't link to specific posts in a thead and can't see all of a certain users posts in a search.

Anyway, a lot of threads over there get really annoying, but the good thing is that its the place where a lot of people that work on film score soundtracks post (not just MV and Kimmel, but Matessino and other producers have posted as well)

I pretty much rotate through JWFAN, FSM and Intrada's message board.

Filmtracks is a joke and their site is so prehistoric, but TheListener is correct that the talk there probably hurts the advertising.

FSM's site could use an update but the discussions there are worthwhile because those in the industry like to chime in. I wish the moderation at FSM was a bit more tighter to weed out some of the recurring trouble makers but that's Lukas' call.

Intrada's board is nice an pleasant. Not a lot of BS goes on there, a majority of the members are respectful toward Doug, Roger and Intrada.

But this is the site I call home.

MainTitles - Small and lesser known than the two mentioned above. Its nature is very European (with a few North Americans, like myself). It's very intimate (like a pub) with a clique of users already there, so if you're a bit of an outsider, you probably would be there too.

Sounds a lot like this place. That's pretty much how I think of JWFan, anyway. Here there's a small number of regulars and each has their own style and quirks, everyone knows what each person is into and there's a nice little camaraderie which keeps the place ticking over. Being a once prolific poster on a very large, busy forum (Empire Online), I must say that I much prefer the smaller, more personal atmosphere of this little board.

I know you got off to a bad start here for some reason, but now that that has blown over (I think), how do you rank this place, Listener?

This is the only film score board I frequent. Actually, it happens to be the only board I'm actively posting on right now, period. Until recently, though, I was posting very actively on a HUGE board about another topic, and I was starting to realize how much I prefer that small, familial feel that JWfan has in spades. You guys put it really nicely, Quint, and TheListener.

I have visited FSM from time to time, but I don't think I have an account. I ought to pay more attention over there, since it seems like a valuable resource, even if it's inferior to JWfan in some critical ways.

Even though I don't post too often, this is really the only board I feel comfortable posting on at all. But I feel like there is decent discussion here.

I read FSM more than I post there, it's usually interesting, but some of the bile that people spew there, it's disgusting.

Yeah, this is a great place for film-score discussion, where there a lots of opinions and lots of well-made and insightful posts. Also it's a lot fun here, going from a completely serious mood to a wacky sense of humor in two seconds. I love that :lol:

The other ones I visit are FSM and BSO Spirit. The second one hasn't got much activity, but I like to read their reviews. And FSM annoys me a lot sometimes because it seems more JRfan.com than anything else. I dislike that a thread with Goldsmith in the title gets instant praise and discussion while a thread to an obscure score or composer gets a couple of posts, max. I wish people there were more open to stuff they don't know.

FSM is the place I've been the longest (since its inception back in 1997), so I have a special relationship to that. However, over the last 6-7 years, I've felt more and more alienated from the main crowd there, for a variety of reasons (cultural, interests, background, general way of debating). It's by far the most active board on the net, though, so you may find some interesting discussions once in a blue moon. If the other boards are slow, you can always find something going on there.

Maintitles.net is by far my favourite film music board on the net. Good mood, few controversies, people having respect for opposing viewpoints and preferences, nice debates once in a while and a casual, informal atmosphere that I like. Plus it's European-heavy, which makes it closer to home. If FSM is the big disco, this is the little pub on the corner. I also met several of the regulars in Ghent last year, which was an awesome experience. If it had been more active, I would have been there all the time.

This place is nice too, although there are some elements that don't QUITE make me feel "comfortably at home" here, which is one of the reasons why I haven't been very active here over all these years. Not sure how fruitful it is to point out these elements when I'm in the lion's cage, though! :)

The Music for a Darkened People board is nice for Elfman discussions, although the tree-format is archaic and cumbersome and the activity is low.

I occasionally drop by moviemusic.com and intrada, but not for long. Not a lot happening there. I haven't visited Filmtracks since the late 90's, I think.

That's about it for me, in addition to other sites that have nothing to do with film music, strictly speaking.

This place is nice too, although there are some elements that don't QUITE make me feel "comfortably at home" here, which is one of the reasons why I haven't been very active here over all these years. Not sure how fruitful it is to point out these elements when I'm in the lion's cage, though! :)

Which are...? (Too Williams-and-his-wannabes-centric, perhaps?)

I read FSM board quite regularly, but I'm not a member there. I just check it when I need some news/updates/opinions. This place has all I need, even as retarded as it can be. ;)

Karol

FSM is the place I've been the longest (since its inception back in 1997), so I have a special relationship to that. However, over the last 6-7 years, I've felt more and more alienated from the main crowd there, for a variety of reasons (cultural, interests, background, general way of debating).

No, it's your aversion to the complete and chronological score release. ;)

For what it's worth, JWFan is the only forum I now visit because the discussions here are more positive, insightful and interesting.

And since I haven't posted much here, I thought this would be a good time to say I do like this forum! :)

Alain

Sounds a lot like this place. That's pretty much how I think of JWFan, anyway. Here there's a small number of regulars and each has their own style and quirks, everyone knows what each person is into and there's a nice little camaraderie which keeps the place ticking over. Being a once prolific poster on a very large, busy forum (Empire Online), I must say that I much prefer the smaller, more personal atmosphere of this little board.

I know you got off to a bad start here for some reason, but now that that has blown over (I think), how do you rank this place, Listener?

It's like a North American (or American specifically) Main Titles.

I created an account at FSM but since it seems to make me sign back in every 20 minutes, I can't be arsed to become active there.

Weird, I don't get logged out

I love this place, even if some of you are sometimes wrong and occasionally curmudgeonly. Just like me.

Can't stand FSM now. The music discussion is okay, but there are far too many experts and sycophants, and I sometimes I feel like I'm getting a dressing-down if someone doesn't agree with me. Also, there's a fair amount of dick-size comparison as well.

I figure any page that I select as my browser homepage is the one I'll always come back to. And guess what:

homepagec.jpg

I am not aware of a "JGfan", or a "JHfan", or a "DEfan". I am happy to make this my little "home from home". Where else can I find such talanted, infuriating, stimulating, funny, and thought-provoking company.

There's the James Horner Shine and Jerry Goldsmith Online.

I think the worst thing about this place is the regularity in which topics get off-topic fast.

Its what makes us.... us!