Michael Giacchino - Cars 2

Jay

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weezer song sounds good :up:

As for the Giacchino score: Sounds fun!! It does remind me of Speed Racer

Sounds about as dull as I was expecting.

30 second samples Blume...30 second samples!

And for foorcks sake Mr. Giacchino, FIRE Dan Wallin.

It's not that it's terrible, but so far I can't anything remotely interesting about it. Ah well, it's still better to listen to this kind of wallpaper than, say, Green Lantern. NEXT!

Karol

This is Giacchinos worst major film outing. The theme is so mundane, the music just plays this humdrum, dullly performed non sense. The orchestra has 0 dynamics.

I'm honestly not sure what happened. Theres just no heart. Maybe the superior Super 8 score consumed toommuch time? Maybe the movie is really bad?

I dunno, but I'd rather see him do 2 films scores a year than 6 mediocre ones, I can tell you that.

Based on the first few tracks: I wish they'd kept Randy Newman.

This sounds like a Pixar score recorded with some sort of wall between the orchestra and microphones.

Musically, it's nice, but really nothing special to my ears. I miss the thematic cohesion that Tom Newman brought to the table.

While I'm not much of a Randy Newman, his music for the Pixar movies have always had a distinct charm.

I certainly don't think Giacchino wasn't capable of delivering that charm. The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up, are all testaments to that. Which is why I'm left scratching my head as what happened here. Heck the closest relative to this, Speed Racer, was as good as it was because of its charm.

The music is so cold and mundane here.

- Blume who's heard from his Pixar contacts Cars 2 has been an extremely difficult production.

Just bought this and listened to it on the way home. Not a fan. Very uninspired. Makes me glad he's not doing Captain America. I really need those two Williams scores later this year. :(

I'll take this uninspired, worst score by Giacchino over most of the crap being composed out there these days.

Seriously this is a fun score, the recording also sounds fine to my ears.

I think I should immediately lower my John Carter expectations.

Also, I'm no expert, so can someone explain why his recordings sound so small and flat? Does he use a smaller orchestra? They just sound more comparable to video game music recordings than big budget full orchestra film scores.

And boy do some of you seem to get angry when Gia is criticized! I'm looking forward to the discussions on how Monte Carlo is a better score than Thor.

No I'm waiting for the people who will proclaim Transformers 3's score as the best thing this summer.

Hahaha

Its also possible this score will grow on me after seeing the movie, as is frequently the case. As long as it's not mixed too low. I honesty can't think of a theme from Newman's Cars at all.

It's his worst film score, but immediately lowering expectations? Geez, did everyone immediately stop loving Williams when he did Midway or The River?

The man is allowed a dud, especially when he has 5 other scores in the year. As long as those are good, I don't care.

Also, I'm no expert, so can someone explain why his recordings sound so small and flat? Does he use a smaller orchestra? They just sound more comparable to video game music recordings than big budget full orchestra film scores.

The microphones are placed too close to the instruments they are recording

It's his worst film score, but immediately lowering expectations? Geez, did everyone immediately stop loving Williams when he did Midway or The River?

The man is allowed a dud, especially when he has 5 other scores in the year. As long as those are good, I don't care.

:up:

I've never seen anyone applaud The River for its brilliance.

Actually it's a very good score, one of Williams' hidden gems imho. It was even nominated for an Academy Award in 1984. The film also has its merits.

You know honestly i'm going to disagree with Koray and say it's always a good time to lower your expectations. Whether Giacchino has just written The Greatest Score of All Time or The Turd That Sang Music.

I don't think what his examples were really matters. That's minutiae and I can't believe people are detracting from his point for something so irrelevant. For most of us, there's probably at least one Williams score they consider a dud.

And that's fine when you're John Freaking Williams, the greatest composer that ever lived. We can forgive a dud or two. But Meh-chael Giacchino doesn't have Williams' batting average. I still think he needs to prove his Godliness, and "meh" efforts make me question what God-icchino needs with a Starship?

I like Cars 2 significantly more now that I have listened to Green Lantern.

Yes but that's kind of like saying "I like my dog dying significantly more now that my parents have been struck dead by a meteor."

this must be a fist in giacchino's career... he had always used previous material in his based on previous material scores...

Except in TLW, but williams had not composed it yet. (he could have used some nice JP music though ;) )

I listened to the AOL stream once to decide that, like SPEED RACER and similar outings by MG, there is lots of frenetic activity amounting to...well, a tiny, little, unassuming kind of thing. The main melodic ideas sound like what shows like TinyToons or Simpsons may apply as shy 3-second homages to 60's hip things, which frankly is a bit wee for such a long runtime.

It's not that Giacchino is like a soulless factory line like RCP churning out prefabricated mass product for the 1000 jobs the boss won't touch, but he sure doesn't rise above current Hollywood status quo in style and approach.

I listened to the AOL stream once to decide that, like SPEED RACER and similar outings by MG, there is lots of frenetic activity amounting to...well, a tiny, little, unassuming kind of thing. The main melodic ideas sound like what shows like TinyToons or Simpsons may apply as shy 3-second homages to 60's hip things, which frankly is a bit wee for such a long runtime.

It's a spy score. It sounds like he took "Super Secret Agent Man" and turned it into 60's lounge music. I'm sure it's right for the film, but on album it was a very boring listen.

I don't understand all the negative comments about this score. Sure, it's not an all-time masterpiece, but I found it highly enjoyable and quite brimful of interesting ideas. I like a lot the use of the Hammond B3 (a color you generally don't hear in film scores) and Fender electric guitars. There's a great propulsive rhythm all throughout that gives a real boost to the score. The track "Porto Corsa" is also very nice, a kind of mixture of Bill Conti's Rocky fanfare and Williams' Olympic writing.

It's not at the level of The Incredibles or Ratatouille, but in all sincerity I think it's more musically engaging than Up.