BloodBoal

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Powell theme just sounds like Batman and Superman are on their way. That is a failure in my eyes.

Ottman's theme is good, but not emotional enough one way or the other.

Thus I chose the first theme by Kamen. It didn't feel like the normal superhero fanfare you get, it had emotion, and had me humming it outside the theater.

Probably because the album is already assembled and ready to go before changes are made. ;)

Indeed. It was reported Powell made changes to X-Men 3's score in post production. I wish the revised film version cues could have been with the boot of the score, most of them I do like better than the original cues.

Everything gets changed in post these days, especially a big sfx movie.

But I think Boal's question was more of film versions sounding better. I wouldn't say that's always the case. But I find we're almost hard coded into wanting what was in the film.

Powell's theme is my favourite. I've never really heard K-Men's and Ottman's always seemed a bit amateurish to me.

Well part of the reason may lie in the fact that it is the film version. it's been tweaked to fit the film, both in emotions and pace. Whereas the album version may have been composed with the audience listening experience in mind, especially for the album, or just didn't work when matched with the images.

An example would be the original album to Jaws, an outstanding listening experience, specifically recorded and assembled by Williams. But the raw and tense sounds of the original film versions are missing from it.

Well part of the reason may lie in the fact that it is the film version. it's been tweaked to fit the film, both in emotions and pace. Whereas the album version may have been composed with the audience listening experience in mind, especially for the album, or just didn't work when matched with the images.

An example would be the original album to Jaws, an outstanding listening experience, specifically recorded and assembled by Williams. But the raw and tense sounds of the original film versions are missing from it.

I think there are very few composers out there these days who think about the album presentation so far as to compose and record independent versions of themes or musical ideas just for the album. I think the alternate (often the original) takes can also be something that the composers themselves prefer and that is why they end up on the albums.

The postproduction and the well known need to compile the commercial album before the recording sessions and possible rewrites are finished creates the situation where the composer's original idea for e.g. main title music ends up on the album and the actual one is left out. Of course the most common reason for having these alternates is that the composition did not fit the scene in some way and had to be rewritten by the director's or the producers' mandate.

Jaws OST album and the like seem like world away from the situation of modern film scoring. Very few composers like or have the opporturnity to re-think their music for such an album these days. In the past decades it was most often the question of money (re-use fees) and that it was just cheaper to re-record the music with a different orchestra and this practice produced some brilliant albums. In these re-imaginings of the music the film parameters are lost so the compositions do not have to comform to the picture anymore and most often the composers let their material breathe and develop in this format so free of time constraints of the movie. So this kind of album is a totally different creature than the original score and can both gain and lose from the treatment and not being tied to the film and its requirements.

Oh and I have to say I prefer Powell's main titles.

The second one. Not because it is the most memorable or inventive, but because it best suits these films. The first one doesn't work with this kind of X-Men picture and the third one goes a bit overboard. But they are better musically, no doubts there.

Karol

Indeed. It was reported Powell made changes to X-Men 3's score in post production. I wish the revised film version cues could have been with the boot of the score, most of them I do like better than the original cues.

I think Powell said in an interview years ago that he wished that he had a few more weeks to work on the X3 score. If he had, that film version would've ended up on the CD.

Why can't I vote for the 90s cartoon theme? At least it's memorable (and kind of rocks). I can't say any of the film scores really float my boat. I hardly notice them in the film. Just musical wallpaper.

For X-Men The Last Stand, I was told the time the score leaked that the revised film version cues were supposed to be present but whoever leaked it decided not to include those. Most likely for trading purposes which sucks, because I do like the revised film version for the X-Men theme in 3 a lot more than the original.

Regarding the 90's cartoon theme for X-Men it is pretty cool and in fact Kamen's version of the X-Men theme was the only one to really be close to the original 90's cartoon.

I think most of them are overlays. In some areas they just sound like they don't even belong.

Agreed. The electronic overlays I think hurt the score rather than helped it. Well at least for the full film version of "Museum Fight" it actually helped it there.

• 1 month later...

That theme has got way better statements in other cues, (Sub Lift, Cerebro...). It's barely noticeable in the film. I prefer Magneto's theme myself. It's the one you remember when you get out of the theater.

In the poll I voted for the first film's theme. :)

That's the most generic piece of music I've heard in some time.

I mean those chord progressions in the strings... could that possibly sound more computer-assisted?

Thank you, now you're making me feel dirty for liking such a cue (well, at least the first half of it).

I like plenty of generic stuff too. I just have a problem with music that's too predictable, and I could see everything coming in that piece. Nothing was surprising or entertaining about it.

• 3 years later...

Kamen's theme and score are very good and fit the film well. Powell's theme is kind of just a temp-love version of the previous two but the rest of the score is brilliant as you'd expect, including, as I said, some incredible action cues. I have no feelings one way or another on the Jackman entry.

Ottman's (first) is the best for me. The score is very rich and the theme, when you hear it developed in the suite, you've just gotta love it.

Let's hope that the next film, which is set in the 80's, will bring back the more traditional elements from X2. From my understanding, that is the plan.

Karol

My feelings about Ottman on a personal level have been kind of poorly colored over the last year or so but it would be nice to hear another big effort from him, yeah.

?

Karol