The 2011 Box Office Thread

JoeinAR

Summer 2011 Top Film  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What Will be the #1 Summer 2011 film

• Thor (May 6)
    • Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (May 20)
    • The Hangover: Part II (May 26)
    • Kung Fu Panda 2 (May 26)
    • X-Men: First Class (June 3)
    • Super 8 (June 10)
    • Green Lantern (June 17)
    • Cars 2 (June 24)
    • Transformers: Dark Of The Moon (July 1)
    • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (July 15)
    • Captain America; The First Avenger (July 22)
    • Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (August 5)
    • Other (Please list your other choise)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's "rock em sock em" the movie!

Where have you been? That's the rage these days! Turn '80s toys into movies! Transformers has a trilogy, the second GI Joe movie is in the works, and we all know that they can't be too far from making another Masters of the Universe movie.

I posted this trailer in the future films thread months ago, but it got no response. I think it looks great.

I think we can safetly say that Mars Needs Moms is the 2011 Box Office loser. The production budget was $150 million, and its total gross, foreign and domestic combined, was...less than $39 million. Ouch.

It's one of the biggest bombs ever.

The biggest of all was probably Delgo.

It only took in 1.7% of its budget in box office grosses (compared to 26% for "Mars" according to your figures). It's almost sad.

I think we can safetly say that Mars Needs Moms is the 2011 Box Office loser. The production budget was $150 million, and its total gross, foreign and domestic combined, was...less than $39 million. Ouch.

It's one of the biggest bombs ever.

The biggest of all was probably Delgo.

It only took in 1.7% of its budget in box office grosses (compared to 26% for "Mars" according to your figures). It's almost sad.

Wow, it looks like it won some awards too...that sucks!

well I think Potter is going to have a huge day today. There were no empty seats at my theatre. They filled all 9 screens. Never seen that before in this small town.

Most succesfull films this summer:

HPatDHpII

Yes

Cars II

NO!

POTC 4

Yes

Super 8

NO!

Panda II

NO!

Most succesfull films this summer:

HPatDHpII

Yes

Cars II

NO!

POTC 4

Yes

Super 8

NO!

Panda II

NO!

Cars 2 will clearly be very succesfull. The hype around Cars is so big.

Mommie, i wan't to go see the new carth film! Mater is a thpy! Cool!!!!

The worldwide total for Cars 2 is only $278 million.

Compare that to $711 for Transformers 3 and the now record breaking Deathly Hallows Part 2...

EDIT

Good fucking lord it made $93 million in one day.

It's "rock em sock em" the movie!

Where have you been? That's the rage these days! Turn '80s toys into movies! Transformers has a trilogy, the second GI Joe movie is in the works, and we all know that they can't be too far from making another Masters of the Universe movie.

I posted this trailer in the future films thread months ago, but it got no response. I think it looks great.

I think there is also a Battleship movie as well as a Hot Wheels movie in the works

I'm just puzzled at the popularity of Transformers. Surely the true Transformers geeks who watched the TV cartoon must be in the minority. Who accounts to making these films such a box office success?

I think it's just the same as with anything else. There's virtually a couple of thousand of people like us who love sountracks (and even that category is very divised). And billions who like everything that's on radio or charts.

I know it's painful, but for most people this epitome of what summer cinema should do.

You should be glad you're so unique and that you have superior taste. Like me. Even if we differ ;)

Karol

A lot of teenagers and young couples enjoy a regular visits to the cinema to see whatever is out. A lot the time it won't really matter what is on, but the bigger names (like Transformers) will be given priority just because it's the thing to see.

Harry Potter just set the opening weekend record, with $168.55 million. However, there are indications that it won't have the legs to win the year. DH had the steepest Friday to Saturday drop for non-holiday first weekends. Also, DH P1 had an opening weekend gross of $125 million, and it only made $660 million worldwide, which already isn't enough to beat Transformers 3. Hopefully Potter will manage to win it!

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3211&p=.htm

actual boxoffice numbers were even greater than the estimates. $169,189,427.00.

I will not be surprised if Captain America wins next week since there is no way the Potter numbers will stay so high.

actual boxoffice numbers were even greater than the estimates. $169,189,427.00.

I will not be surprised if Captain America wins next week since there is no way the Potter numbers will stay so high.

Hard to say. Probably will be close.

Potter always drops off quickly. I can't see why this one will be any different, apart from the finale novelty.

Lee - just thinking that Captain America is probably the ultimate counterpoint to Tintin: nobody outside of the USA could give a shit about Captain America; so much so that I'm willing to bet it'll die an unnoticed death at least here, in the UK.

Important to note that the worldwide Potter figure ($481 million) is not including the UK. So that figure is probably quite a bit higher.

Potter always drops off quickly. I can't see why this one will be any different, apart from the finale novelty.

Lee - just thinking that Captain America is probably the ultimate counterpoint to Tintin: nobody outside of the USA could give a shit about Captain America; so much so that I'm willing to bet it'll die an unnoticed death at least here, in the UK.

But Captain America is really an allies hero. However Captain America has on advantage over Tintin, it's not shot in that shitty fashion tintin is. besides the germans are always a good villain

Most people who pay at the boxoffice couldn't give a shit how a movie was shot.

Political debates avoided, I think strong anti-American sentiment of late will greatly impact overseas ticket sales. Which will be a shame if it's actually a really good movie.

Don't take it personally though - we have The Eurovision Song Contest every single year.

yes and people do care. Some won't go see a cartoon which is what tintin is.

But this thread is about US boxoffice, not about what happens in other countries

btw early reviews of the film have been pleasant.

I don't deny that.

Sure, Tintin ain't Pixar, but it is Spielberg and Jackson. That surely counts for something. Who's doing Captain America again? Who's in it?

But this thread is about US boxoffice, not about what happens in other countries

Most people who pay at the boxoffice couldn't give a shit how a movie was shot.

Oh hang on - now you're saying it's US boxoffice only. Not SUMMER boxoffice, as the title of the thread suggests.

I don't deny that.

Sure, Tintin ain't Pixar, but it is Spielberg and Jackson. That surely counts for something. Who's doing Captain America again? Who's in it?

there is an elf lord in it(Hugo Weaving). tommy lee jones, Stanley tucci, tobi jones, chris Evans

I'm thinking it will be tough for any movie to top Potter, which has passed teh $200M mark domestically in just five days. It's tracking ahead of Transformers at the same point by a wide margin, and it will probably surpass it within a few weeks, putting it in the $300M range. While another $300M movie this summer is possible, it is the exception, not the rule. Captain America could go the way of Iron Man in its franchise debut, but it could also fall flat.

Otherwise, there aren't really any other contenders for the top spot.

It looks like this will be the first Potter film to actually exceed domestic BO hype if it has staying power and not all the fans went opening weekend. The problem is that the previous films have started out strong here and then tapered off.

It looks like this will be the first Potter film to actually exceed domestic BO hype if it has staying power and not all the fans went opening weekend. The problem is that the previous films have started out strong here and then tapered off.

this is exactly what happened. The film will continue to do well but it shot it's wad the first week. This weekends winner will be Captain America, which we'll be going to see it at 4 this afternoon.

if foreigners don't want to see Captain America because of some anti American sentiment then too bad for them.

I'll go to see the film, mostly because I really like the score. And because I've seen all the others Marvel movies. But I don't know whether I'm gonna like it. Hope so, because tickets are not cheap these days.

Karol

what are ticket costs in european countries (and other foreign theatres)? I mean relative to US costs, which are insanely variable across the country.

I pay 5 bucks for matinee, 8 for evening, add 2 bucks for 3D. But in NYC they can approach 20 bucks a ticket. In Dallas my friend Steve goes to a theater that you can reserve specific seats so there is a premium.

That's not what I mean exactly. The character simply is not very well known outside the US. Not like Superman, Batman, Spiderman or...Harry potter.

That is simply not true Stefan.

There's also a huge difference between 'not very well known outside the US' and then comparing the popularity by using Superman, Batman, Spiderman as the comparisons.

I'm sure someone else can do the film score analogy version though.

A single adult ticked in, say, Showcase (UK) costs about 5,8 quid, which is around 9.45 USD. A 3D would costs something like 13-14 USD. And this is not weekend.

In Poland the weekend price of ticket would cost the equivalent of 8 bucks. Add another one or two for 3D.

Karol

there is no difference in cost for weekend vs weekday, its simply matinee and evening prices here regardless of days, now some theatre have specials. my local theatre has 4 dollar tickets before 6pm on Mon. and Tues. and if you bring your own bowl you get free popcorn. My theatre makes the most delicious popcorn.