Alan Silvestri scoring Captain America: The First Avenger

Ollie

:blink: Sky Captain is better than Predator, Back To The Future, and The Abyss?

Add JUDGE DREDD to the list. Although there is a closeness to Williams in SKY CAPTAIN which seems to get right through KM's heart. :)

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I've said, it's bland. There's something missing.

Of course the film was bad but that doesn't stop my possible enjoyment of a score.

But better than Silvestri? No.

I like MV's description of Captain America's score:

FINALLY a super hero score worthy of the title SUPER HERO!

Alan has saved this summer!

Halle-bleepin-lujah!

Its like Predator made sweet love to Medal of Honor.

MV

:lol:

We need to wait and see. It might as well end up as one of those long relentless albums that everybody is just so tired of and there still like 40 minutes to go. It needs some good quieter material too and we haven't heard any of it yet.

Karol

I like Sky Captain better than any Silvestri (or Debney) action score

:blink: Sky Captain is better than Predator, Back To The Future, and The Abyss?

Now now, Mark is entitled to his opinions and he definitely articulated it as an opinion rather than one of fact. To be honest, Silvestri is one of those composers whose melodic and harmonic choices hasn't been my favorite but his more mature works like Forrest Gump, Cast Away, and especially Contact which is my fave of his are very good. I love that track "Okay to Go". It still uses minimalism really effectively. I do like parts of Judge Dredd quite a bit although I will never get over Goldsmith's amazing trailer music.

Shearmur puzzles me because he's clearly demonstrated a knack for solid orchestral writing. It never feels clunky to my ears. Some composers really have a difficulty in threading ideas together seamlessly like Williams, goldsmith, Barry, Herrmann, etc. etc. It's actually a very fine art to be able to do this I believe. Silvestri resides in this camp.

I read somewhere that Romancing the Stone was his first big film assignment and that Back to the Future was like his third orchestral score. Not too shabby!

I read somewhere that Romancing the Stone was his first big film assignment

Yeah he rented one or two books about scoring from the library and he just went for it. It's quite a story.

Karol

Yeah, he did some TV work and minor films in the 70's

CHIPS was his real big break when he took over after season 1, I think he really came into his own working on the series. But you guys are correct, Romancing The Stone was his first major film.

Yeah, he did some TV work and minor films in the 70's

CHIPS was his real big break when he took over after season 1, I think he really came into his own working on the series. But you guys are correct, Romancing The Stone was his first major film.

You can totally hear some of his CHIPS action music in Romancing the Stone with the funky drums in the background.

I actually like The Abyss quite a bit too but you can hear a lot of Horner influence- I think Cameron wanted Horner but they were still pissed at one another after ALIENS.

His real passion is fine wine.

Have you tried it?

Anyway, they should attach a bottle to every album of his. Definitely.

Karol

I don't know if it's available outside of CA. I think there are some regulations on Wine distribution to different states.

My wife and I love to visit wineries, I've looked for his wine if they have a large section. the only famous one I've seen is Coppola's brand.

I would certainly like to try it. I'm not that knowledgeable in wines, but I enjoy it every once in a while. Had a good winery next to where I lived for many years and they had some great offers. So I tried quite a few.

Anyway, I just pre-ordered the CD.

Karol

The theme has been in my head on and off for the last few days. And not in a way that it's annoying, like Gia's star trek theme.

The movie will be crap of course, i mean....Captain America???

But the score could be really something.

My copy arrived this morning and I listened to the album just once. It is a solid score. Good to hear Silvestri stretching himself and delivering a nuanced and detailed score, as opposed tom what he's been doing with many of his latest blockbusters. It's not exactly a trumph I would like it to be though. While the music is fine and well-written it lacks a clear immediate "hook", which might be a problem for some. If you like the samples then that's exactly what the score sounds like.

I feel the same about Lennertz's Medal of Honor scores. They're fine, but I couldn't feel anything while listening to it for the first time. But it's still probably the best action score of this summer though. And believe me, there's quite a bit of action here.

Maybe I will appreciate it more after more listens. I hope so, because it's a fine effort.

Alan Menken's song is kind of annoying (obviously), but fits stylistically into the rest of the score.

Karol

Behold! Captain Netherlands, pointing to the crowd as he executes his secret power kick of doom, wearing his special orange futbol uniform that hides his secret identity from the evil Referees of Mumm-Ra.

74801965-the-netherlands.jpg

Isn't that the colour used for the most dangerous inmates in the States? Coincidence? ;)

Anyway, what I like about Silvestri's score is the brass writing. Yes, it is mostly a modern action assault (A-Team's tank cue comes to mind), but there is something very old-school about the arrangement here and there. More in the vein of Patton and/or Aaron Coppland. That and some brief quiet string moments feel very "40's". It's adds to the charm, I guess. Also, I doesn't go quite overboard with its action and patriotic writing. It's there, but not so in-you-face. I like that.

Mind you: It's not quite Back To The Future or The Mummy Returns kind of swashbuckler (it is his best since the latter score). There are no big-big themes. The one you hear in the samples is pretty much it. But has certain elegance to it, which I think will appeal to many (especially older) fans. It has some heart and class. Given that Silvestri wrote this score very fast (6 weeks, I think), he is skilled enough to make the most out of that time. Glad I bought it.

In the end both this score and Super 8 feel like a throwback. That one had a sentimental heart (even most of it was quite simple), and this one is more technically accomplished score (maybe without a sense of immediate hook, that I was talking about in the earlier post). But they make for a fine pair indeed (DH2 is a bit behind them, even though I like it too).

Karol - listening to again and liking it even more

In the trailers the music sounded much to media ventures for my liking!poor silvestri pushed to doing that horrid style probably..

I dunno about the clip above.

Sounds orchestral and not MV-ish, but lacks something

It's the Silvestri's special talent, sounding like its missing something. I have had that feeling on a lot of his scores.

Not surprised KM thinks Sky Captain is better than The Abyss and Back To The Future. All though his opinion is severely wrong and most on this forum, FSM, and Intrada will agree that his opinion is really wrong.

Not surprised KM thinks Sky Captain is better than The Abyss and Back To The Future. All though his opinion is severely wrong and most on this forum, FSM, and Intrada will agree that his opinion is really wrong.

Well not exactly. All subjective. You can pile evidence of majorities disliking or liking a piece of art or music but it certainly does not change anyone's opinion on it once they have made up their minds.

P.S. I do think Silvestri has composed some fine music in his time. But oftentimes he seems to lack the spark for a real classic. And the film projects he does certainly do not help.

Captain America is his best since The Mummy Returns. Not saying it is as good though. But since I got it I (which was 2 days ago) I listened to it 7 times and with each listen it gets better and better. That must mean something.

But's... it's a not a score like Superman or Harry Potter. Or Sky Captain even. No love themes and stuff like that. It's more like exciting war music, which is mostly about suspense and action. Band of Brothers as an action film. Or Medal of Honor video game. And that's a little different from superhero scores and might not appeal to some people.

Karol - who thinks king mark is the most perssimistic person he's met here

Captain America is his best since The Mummy Returns. Not saying it is as good though. But since I got it I (which was 2 days ago) I listened to it 7 times and with each listen it gets better and better. That must mean something.

But's... it's a not a score like Superman or Harry Potter. Or Sky Captain even. No love themes and stuff like that. It's more like exciting war music, which is mostly about suspense and action. Band of Brothers as an action film. Or Medal of Honor video game. And that's a little different from superhero scores and might not appeal to some people.

Karol - who thinks king mark is the most perssimistic person he's met here

Well your positive reviews make this score out to be quite promising. The Mummy Returns is one of my all time favourite Silvestri scores. :)

There is no such thing as a wrong opinion. Unpopular? Distasteful? Not politically correct? Unethical? Certainly. But those aren't necessarily "wrong."

I think you're a dick head for saying this!

Hey Stefan where has your trademark "IDIOT" gone? I really miss it. It's classic Stefan. Once you have been berated by a Dutchman there is no going back.