Alan Silvestri scoring Captain America: The First Avenger

Ollie

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Cap even fight Nazis in this movie? Is it now politically incorrect for the bad guys to have swastikas on their uniforms? Are they afraid of offending... Nazis?

And in Captain America comic books. Shouldn't young viewers have the opportunity to learn that Nazis were the bad guys? Or should pop culture just soften the view and phase that out? I cry pussy marketing-based film-making.

I would actually avoid nazis if I wrote this film. I would make the bad guy suddenly dimiss the Nazis and the USA government as a bunch of poofs and go for something really disturbing that even the hero isn't expecting and that makes him doubt. I would look for something that challenges the character's thoughts as well as his physique.

I was not trying to dimiss the Nazis as villains. I was talking about how you can use villains to make the hero more interesting. If you have awesome villains I you don't make the audience care about the hero, half of the audience will just wait for the hero to die and then cheer.

From what I gather, the Nazis are there, but they will be working with/a part of HYDRA. For those wanting more evil Nazis, it looks like they will be in the new season of Doctor Who, so there will be goose-stepping abounds this summer.

• 1 month later...

Well, Disney is releasing a soundtrack on physical CD on July 19th, but the amazon listing doesnt say if its score, songs, or both

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050PLTJQ

According to FMR (who reported Silvestri's involvement in the film), says that it'll likely feature Silvestri's score plus the Menken song.

I heard that Silvestri recorded the score in London a few weeks ago. Silvestri's London-recorded scores tend to be great fun -- Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Mummy Returns and Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.

• 4 weeks later...

transparent.gif
http://www.amazon.com/Captain-America-Avenger-Various-Artists/dp/B0050PLTJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1307937533&sr=1-1

Tracklist:

1. Captain America Main Titles
2. Frozen Wasteland
3. Schmidt's Treasure
4. Farewell to Bucky
5. Hydra Lab
6. Training The Supersoldier
7. Schmidt's Story
8. VitaRays
9. Captain America "We Did It"
10. Kruger Chase
11. Hostage On The Pier
12. General's Resign
13. Unauthorized Night Flight
14. Troop Liberation
15. Factory Inferno
16. Triumphant Return
17. Invader's Montage
18. Hydra Train
19. "Rain Fire Upon Them"
20. Motorcycle Mayhem
21. Invasion
22. Fight On The Flight Deck
23. "This Is My Choice"
24. Passage Of Time
25. Captain America
26. Star Spangled Man (Music by Alan Menken and Lyrics by David Zippel)

I'm still not expecting a return to the 80s/90s Silvestri greatness, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised

• 3 weeks later...

Well you can really draw inferences from that, yeah. One hell of a theme packed 20 seconds there. Perhaps we should wait for the real soundclips to judge. :P

transparent.gif

http://www.amazon.co...07937533&sr=1-1

Tracklist:

1. Captain America Main Titles

So hopefully we'll get a good main theme then :)

I liked his new A-Team theme, even if I thought the film was a pile of crap.

Stylistically, I'd prefer closer to Beowulf. I liked his use of synths, some really good themes/motifs, and the action was driven by melody.

Does someone else think John Williams would have been great for Captain America?

I mean, he would be great on any film, but this one especially?

Eh, I dunno. I wouldn't complain, but his new music is more complicated. I think this movie could have benefited from 80's Williams. THAT would have been something.

Apparently, some of the score will premiere here tonight. Is there a way someone could record this? It's the middle of the night here and I need to get up early tomorrow for work.

Karol

Eh, I dunno. I wouldn't complain, but his new music is more complicated. I think this movie could have benefited from 80's Williams. THAT would have been something.

Eh I dunno. I wouldn't complain, but Silvestri's new music is more bland. I think this movie could have benefit from 80's Silvestri. THAT would have been something.

Good ol' Johnny would have been a good choice for the film, if he had chosen to do it that is.

Apparently, some of the score will premiere here tonight. Is there a way someone could record this? It's the middle of the night here and I need to get up early tomorrow for work.

Karol

I would if it were an hour earlier, but going to bed any time after around 2.30 will wreck the next morning.

I saw I our own Tim Burden giving Captain America positive marks on Facebook. He called it a

Big, bold, brassy, bombastic and a fully symphonic / thematic score.

Apparently you don't have to. At least that's why Erik Woods says at the FSM board:

So that's 2 to 3 AM in the UK, I think... does the station archive this show?

Yes it does! You can listen to old programs by going to http://www.wqxr.org/programs/movies/archive/

A great program I might add that I listen to weekly!

-Erik-

Karol

Listening to it right now, the main theme didn't initially grab me but I'm really liking the action music. It's good old fashioned music and you can definitely hear vintage Silvestri in it.

The selections from Captain America just played. Well, this should be pretty doggone good. For starters, lemme say that the trailers would benefit exponentially from the use of the main theme. I'm thinking the moment of him busting through the doors with his men, for starters.

The action material is pretty solid--actually, to a degree, a blend between older Silvestri and newer. The brass writing tends more to the Mummy Returns type style, but there are little orchestrational touches here and there, including an early xylophone flourish that took me back to BTTF.

Those concerned that this would be affected by the contemporary touches present in Thor and Green Lantern, or even G.I. Joe and A-Team...don't be. This orchestral Silvestri 100%. Can't wait for the 22nd.

I have to say, though, the main theme sounds like Christopher Lennert's theme to Medal of Honor Rising Sun.

I believe you can hear it here:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=40899&t=Preview_iCaptain_America_The_First_Avengeris_Heroic_Musical_Composition

Or here:

http://www.wqxr.org/programs/movies/2011/jul/

(On that last link it starts at 29:30 aprox)

It sounds freaking amazing. Words cannot describe how good it sounds :up: