Alan Silvestri scoring Captain America: The First Avenger

Ollie

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are still doubting Silvestri's scoring the film?

Weird...

It's not weird, it's logical. There is absolutely no proof.

How's this for proof?

capcredits.jpg

http://captainamerica.marvel.com

Thank you. All this time people have just been quoting that one article that gave no source for their information.

Oh well. Giacchino still has Super 8 (June 10), Cars 2 (June 24), 50/50 (Sep 30), and Mission Impossible 4 (Dec 13) this year, so Captain America was probably too much on his plate anyway.

Maybe Silvestri's score will be good; he wrote some good stuff in the 80s and 90s!

He'd really better give it his all. You can't ask for better source material to inspire something rousing, ballsy, and patriotic-sounding.

All this time people have just been quoting that one article that gave no source for their information.

Since I worked in this field, here's why: Most reputable news reporters (and news sites) are not required to give away their sources, if their sources want to remain anonymous and confidential. You don't see Nikki Finke giving away the sources of her numerous 'Shocking!' and 'Toldja' scoops, and for good reason. But the reporters double-check the authenticity and do fact-checks before writing the article.

AP reporters do that too, so it's not just Nikki Finke and FMR.

Oh well. Giacchino still has Super 8 (June 10), Cars 2 (June 24), 50/50 (Sep 30), and Mission Impossible 4 (Dec 13) this year, so Captain America was probably too much on his plate anyway.

giacchino is starting to get williams' bad habbits.

4 scores a year, one year hiatus, one or two scores next year and then 4 scores the folowing year, another hiatus,

well, as long as his sabbatic years do not coincide with williams'....

Silvestri instead of Giacchino = huge disappointment.

Hey, Star Trek was THE most disappointing score of all times for me.

But I love Giacchino's works, he is an exceptional composer.

Even so, I have to defend Silvestry. He is also an extremely exceptional composer, much more experienced

and I don't remember being disappointed from his works (at least not as much as Star Trek)

Silvestri

I like SOME OF his scores more than Giacchino's, and I never knew he composed the so-called "Super Mario Bros."

I am sure he'll do a good job, but if he doesnt..oooooohhhhhh hes gonna get it bad

I love that people have this idea of Silvestri as a giant hack fixed in to one type of writing. Has everyone forgotten when this entire board was jizzing over 'A Christmas Carol'? 'GI Joe' and 'The A-Team' were solid contemporary action scores that would have been put on a pedestal had they been written by John Powell. But what really matters is how far Marvel are willing to let Joe Johnston go. His movies have all had pretty decent scores ('Rocketeer', 'Hidalgo', 'JP3'), and 'The Wolfman' had an epic score that was screwed by Universal. By all accounts it was Marvel that pointed Debney into the generic rock opera of 'Iron Man 2', so it'll be down to how much they and Johnston can compromise into how good this score may be.

Maybe a good idea of what to expect will be with Patrick Doyle's 'Thor'.

I love that people have this idea of Silvestri as a giant hack fixed in to one type of writing. Has everyone forgotten when this entire board was jizzing over 'A Christmas Carol'? 'GI Joe' and 'The A-Team' were solid contemporary action scores that would have been put on a pedestal had they been written by John Powell. But what really matters is how far Marvel are willing to let Joe Johnston go. His movies have all had pretty decent scores ('Rocketeer', 'Hidalgo', 'JP3'), and 'The Wolfman' had an epic score that was screwed by Universal. By all accounts it was Marvel that pointed Debney into the generic rock opera of 'Iron Man 2', so it'll be down to how much they and Johnston can compromise into how good this score may be.

Maybe a good idea of what to expect will be with Patrick Doyle's 'Thor'.

To be fair for Iron Man 2, the film makers wanted to keep the same type of music as it was essentially Tony Stark's and Iron Man's music. You can bet we'll hear a repeat on the third Iron Man film.

In the case of IM2 even John Debney expressed his disappointment with the finished thing. They were always supposed to have guitar in there, but the whole thing is so watered down with literally everything in it. It could have been good.

Karol

In the case of IM2 even John Debney expressed his disappointment with the finished thing. They were always supposed to have guitar in there, but the whole thing is so watered down with literally everything in it. It could have been good.

Karol

Agreed, Debney had a chance to shine with Iron Man 2 but the film makers held him back. Might as well hire Djawadi for the third film.

I think Joe Johnston would have let Silvestri go all out for this one. He's a pretty big fan of film music. I have pretty high expectations. Silvestri's large orchestral bombast should fit this like a glove.

I think Joe Johnston would have let Silvestri go all out for this one. He's a pretty big fan of film music. I have pretty high expectations. Silvestri's large orchestral bombast should fit this like a glove.

But according to our studio marketing examinations, current audiences don't respond well to old fashioned orchestral fanfare. We need something with a little more zazz or dynamic finesse.

Anyways since I'm pretty sure the movie is going to be similar to Iron Man/A-Team/GI Joe type of fare. A big CGI crap fest with incoherent fast cut action sequences. Which calls for a modern Silvestri score or Zimmer type score

'GI Joe' and 'The A-Team' were solid contemporary action scores that would have been put on a pedestal had they been written by John Powell.

Then they would have been even lower on my listening priority

Anyways since I'm pretty sure the movie is going to be similar to Iron Man/A-Team/GI Joe type of fare. A big CGI crap fest with incoherent fast cut action sequences. Which calls for a modern Silvestri score or Zimmer type score

Have you ever seen a Joe Johnston film? He's been talking about making a Raiders-type of film with this one, and he's been given room to do so. I don't see any reason to fear either the type of film or score that you're talking about.

That's pretty much my attitude too. His work for modern action fare recently has gained zero interest from me. He's either in modern brainless action mode, or cheesy OTT, half slapstick action mode. I hate both.

Whereas his collaboration with Zemeckis... well I like most of those scores enough that I'd buy an Elfman-esque box without much hesitation.

not really

Anyways is Captain America a serious superhero film or the main characters crack jokes every 2 minutes a la Iron Man

I don't know how it will be, but I can't take seriously a superhero dressed as a flag.

Shrimpy guy gets in a magic box and emerges a 250 pound buff superhero. That should tell you enough.

I actually like the fantasy aspect and that retrofuturistic side of things... it reminds me of the opening from Hellboy...

You guys would be eargasming if Poledouris wrote this.

I wouldn't.

The last action score form Silvestri I liked was Beowulf. I think he's better when he doesn't try to be modern in a techno sense.

It's surprising that thus far, based only on the snippets we have seen from each movie, that Captain American is the superhero movie of 2011 that is looking better. They started by making the right decision by having the movie set in the 1940's, but from the get go, this movie had the weakest source material, the least intriguing cast, probably the most pedestrian director, when compared to Thor and Green Lantern. And those two look horrendous from the little I've seen.

Thor looks great. Waay more interesting that Captain America.

We've seen basically nothing from Green Lantern yet. That one is a wild card. I'm still not sure how they will pull off certain stuff. I've been surprised by some character designs for it, though.