How many themes have lasted as long as Hedwig's?

indy4

Now that we have confirmation that Desplat used JW's theme in DH Part 2, I realized how rare it is for a theme to be present for 8 films, and through 4 different composers. Themes that have a formulaic place in a movie in a series (ie, the Star Wars main title always plays during the scrolling text and the end credits) aren't quite as impressive as those that have to be organically worked into the underscore. The only other theme I can think of that lasted that long under that criteria was/is the James Bond theme.

Granted, most film series don't last 8 movies anyway, but still it's quite impressive.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Force theme. 6 movies. Not quite up there with Hedwig's theme is the number of movies.

Dies Irae. Probably the most used "theme" in the history of music.

Karol

People do like their doom and gloom, dont' they. ;)

The Force theme. 6 movies. Not quite up there with Hedwig's theme is the number of movies.

It also appears in almost every Star Wars game (new adaptions in Shadows of the Empire, The Force Unleashed, Kotor 1, Kotor 2 and The Old Republic)

and is used in the Clone Wars television series.

And you can bet if there are new Star Wars movies (when GL is dead) the Force Theme will be included.

I still have no idea what "dies irae" is

If you're interested how it is present everywhere I'd recommend listening to the 5th episode of FSM Podcast "Podies Irae" available on iTunes. It's worth it!

Karol

Am I supposed to have film score tracks with that theme?

You have many, many scores cues that contain it. If you listen to the FSM podcast you'll recognize many.

Right off the top of my head it's in Close Encounters, End of Days, and manages to be in just about every song in Nightmare Before Christmas (the song "Making Christmas" is essentially just a load of Dies Iraes).

As Scallenger would point out, the Jurassic Park theme has been used for quite a long time now... Not only in the movies, but also in a couple of rides and computer games (such as the new adventure to come out this fall...)

The Mission:Impossible theme will have been used in four movies (and the television series) by the end of this year.

Imperial March is used in five (if you count the allusion in Anakin's theme). In fact, several of Star Wars themes could make the list.

Raiders' March appears in four films, a couple of theme park attractions, and other tangential media releases.

It's not quite what you mean, but there are some brand themes used in opening titles that are quite ubiquitous (20th Century Fox fanfare, Universal, and my favorite, "When you Wish Upon a Star" from the Disney logo.) But then it gets too easy to think of examples of opening titles, like the Mission theme or the Simpsons, that have appeared at the beginning of every episode of TV programs.

Bottom line, I think Hedwig's Theme is in the top 3 (after Bond and Star Trek) if you count integrated use in films only.

Bottom line, I think Hedwig's Theme is in the top 3 (after Bond and Star Trek) if you count integrated use in films only.

The Pink Panther theme has been used in:

The Pink Panther (1963)

The Return of the Pink Panther (1975)

The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978)

Trail of The Pink Panther (1982)

Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)

Son of the Pink Panther (1993)

The Pink Panther (2006)

The Pink Panther 2 (2009)

So Hedwig's is probably in the top 4. ;)

Media Ventures Adventure theme

The Contender

Children of Dune

Shrek

Shrek 2

Shrek The Third

Shrek Forever After

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wordrobe

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Deep Blue See

Stardust

:P

Karol

The Pink Panther theme has been used in:

The Pink Panther (1963)

The Return of the Pink Panther (1975)

The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978)

Trail of The Pink Panther (1982)

Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)

Son of the Pink Panther (1993)

The Pink Panther (2006)

The Pink Panther 2 (2009)

So Hedwig's is probably in the top 4. ;)

But is it integreated into the underscore of each film, or is it just used in the main titles (it's a serious question, I haven't seen most of those films)? If it's the latter I think it's less impressive, because they're just plugging music into a formula at that point (like the Star Wars main title).

Hey what about Horner's danger motif..? That has got to take the top spot..! ;)

Absolutely :lol:

But is it integreated into the underscore of each film, or is it just used in the main titles (it's a serious question, I haven't seen most of those films)? If it's the latter I think it's less impressive, because they're just plugging music into a formula at that point (like the Star Wars main title).

That does not matter. How much of Hedwigs theme is used in the non-JW Potter scores? not a hell of a lot.

That does not matter. How much of Hedwigs theme is used in the non-JW Potter scores? not a hell of a lot.

But when music is just plugged into a certain part of a film without much thought, it doesn't speak to the maleability or popularity of that music. The composer never really had an option to leave it out. Whereas with music like Hedwig's Theme, James Bond, Star Trek, each composer/director/producer who has worked on a film in the series had an opportunity to not use the theme at all, yet each composer chose to use it.

It doesn't mean Pink Panther, Star Wars, etc., are inferior, it's just not what this thread is looking for.