What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 minute ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

You forgot the Bette and Joan flicks.

You don't buy those. You watch them on some Aussie Classic Movies channel.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

You don't buy those. You watch them on some Aussie Classic Movies channel.

Unfortunately my cable TV provider axed TCM last year. The only Bette flick I was able to watch on cable was The Watcher in the Woods. The rest I've tracked down on disc. I have Joan's Strait-Jacket and Berserk on order from Amazon as well.

9 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

The original trilogy was never all that great anyway.

Star Wars and TESB were pretty good at the time. They only got worse as special effects, cameras and editing techniques got better and better. 

Modern audiences look upon them like we once looked upon The Jazz Singer.

360_dvd_jazz_singer_1016.jpg

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Star Wars and TESB were pretty good at the time. They only got worse as special effect, cameras and editing techniques got better and better. 

Yep, there are some shots where the SFX people didn't know what they were doing. Like if there was a close-up of Artoo, there were stars in the background, but photographically it's all wrong. Because it's a close-up, those stars should be out of focus, but as it is, they're perfectly in focus. It takes me out of it!

The Good German

This Steven Sodaburger bloke sure likes style, but his so-called substance is overly plotty. His movies can be hard to follow. Still, Cate Blanchett looked oddly sexy and the Thomas Newman score was a lovely 1940s impersonation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prom Night, 2008

Terrible. Slashers are meant to be better than this crap.

23 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The Lobster.

Hmm... I really liked the first part, but then all the unexplained things started bothering me, like: how did this society come about, why does everyone absolutely have to have a partner, or more importantly, what is going on with people's feelings in this world? Some of the characters definitely had some emotions, but others clearly didn't. During the second half, I was especially annoyed because of the weird plot twists and it's still not clear to me why the Loners did what they did and what they hoped to achieve or which consequences all their actions had. The ending felt unresolved (for the characters) as well. Having said all that, I really liked Rachel Weisz and Olivia Colman and wouldn't mind having a partner with their kind of voices at all.

The music was effective as well. This was only the second time I've watched a film where the score consisted of strings only and source music, but this time it really worked very well.

I think you’re looking at the film too literally. 

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

What do you mean? Are you saying that it's just a comedy meant to mock values and not a serious drama?

Yes. Why are you wondering about how the society came about and people’s emotions, etc? It’s a dark comedy set in a bizarre dystopian future. 

The Mod Squad

Eh, look, I was just curious because Claire Danes was cute back then, and still is. Not bad, but not particularly good either. On the plus, it has a bouncy, humourous tone that I expected The Fastand the Furious would have but didn't. That flick took itself way too seriously.

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Because I didn't really find it comical...?

Your loss! It’s as close to Kubrick as I’ve seen a contemporary director get. Very Clockwork Orange. Looking forward to his next film, The Killing Of A Sacred Deer, which is actually in theaters now. 

A History of Violence

Some great sex scenes in this, but bloody hell that woman was confused. On the stairway, first she's kicking him away, then she pulls his pants down, and then she kicks him away again. Like two koalas up a tree.

12 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

The Mod Squad

Eh, look, I was just curious because Claire Danes was cute back then, and still is. Not bad, but not particularly good either. On the plus, it has a bouncy, humourous tone that I expected The Fastand the Furious would have but didn't. That flick took itself way too seriously.

Supposedly the studio cut half an hour out of the film after the director submitted his cut and the final cut makes no sense.  There are major scenes in the trailer that aren't in the final theatrical cut.  The director's cut has never been released

11 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Spirited Away

Took my sister to see it in the theater as part of the Ghibli fest. It was dope yo.

I was hoping our theater would show it, but we didn't.

I did get the GKids Blu-ray release last week, and it holds up beautifully. It's probably the best English dub conducted by Disney, although some characters in the Japanese original feel more authentic (Daveleigh Chase is too shrill compared to Rumi Hiiragi).

What We Do In The Shadows - very funny 'mockumentary' about 4 flat-sharing vampires. I have heard good things about the director's Hunt For The Wilderpeople (and he has also helmed a little low-budget number called Thor : Ragnarok currently on release).  

Army Of Darkness (Evil Dead 3) - I dig the first 2 movies and the Ash Vs. Evil Dead TV show, but this disastrously mostly ditches the OTT splattery gore and comes across as a sort of Ray Harryhausen tribute with added swearing. Meh.

What We Do in the Shadows was brilliant! Now it's obvious why its co-director, Taika Waititi, got the big Thor: Ragnarok gig (which I've heard is a very amusing movie).

Probably the best original comedy film I've seen since Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which funnily enough he also made. 

A major new comedy talent then. Cool 👍

p2Yc7aO.jpg

Of Human Bondage, 1934

4rO7DfWH.gif

Holy shit. I'm not sure I've ever seen another film that accurately portrays the ongoing masochism that some men endure in relationships and the false idealism they sometimes habitually pursue until they get a good kick up the arse.

I see a great deal of my own vulgar exes in Bette Davis' spookily spot-on portrayal of an icy, deceptive, slutty über-bitch who comes dangerously close to utterly destroying Leslie Howard's life. Her infamous take-down of the hero is as bloodcurdling as legend describes. And this was her breakout performance as she temporarily ditched Warner Bros to give RKO a go. Jack Warner probably felt as betrayed as the poor bloke in the movie when she did that! The film itself feels more organic and creative than many of the mainstream studio pics of the time.

And I think this is a Justin film. Davis' portrayal of this wench will reinforce whatever he really thinks of members of the opposite sex.

That said, I think it's relevant even today. It's on YouTube in good quality if you want to kill 80 minutes. Public domain flick.

6 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Of Human Bondage, 1934

4rO7DfWH.gif

Holy shit. I'm not sure I've ever seen another film that accurately portrays the ongoing masochism that some men endure in relationships and the false idealism they sometimes habitually pursue until they get a good kick up the arse.

I see a great deal of my own vulgar exes in Bette Davis' spookily spot-on portrayal of an icy, deceptive, slutty über-bitch who comes dangerously close to utterly destroying Leslie Howard's life. Her infamous take-down of the hero is as bloodcurdling as legend describes. And this was her breakout performance as she temporarily ditched Warner Bros to give RKO a go. Jack Warner probably felt as betrayed as the poor bloke in the movie when she did that! The film itself feels more organic and creative than many of the mainstream studio pics of the time.

And I think this is a Justin film. Davis' portrayal of this wench will reinforce whatever he really thinks of members of the opposite sex.

That said, I think it's relevant even today. It's on YouTube in good quality if you want to kill 80 minutes. Public domain flick.

Sounds hot. 

30 Days of Night

Plonking vampires in Alaska to attack a small oil drilling town while it's night for a month. Not bad. Josh Hartnett reminds me of Charles Bronson in this. And if I ever meet Melissa George, I'll be sure to rub her nose in her Home & Away origins just to remind her of where she came from.

12 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Of Human Bondage, 1934

4rO7DfWH.gif

and a solid Korngold score to boot.   

Ya cad! Ya dirty swine! I never cared for ya, not once! I was always makin' a fool of ya! Ya bored me stiff, I hated ya! It made me SICK when I had to let ya kiss me. I only did it because ya begged me, ya hounded me and drove me crazy! And after ya kissed me, I always used to wipe my mouth! WIPE MY MOUTH!

Sinister 2

Not bad at all! The first one with Ethan Hawke is one of the better supernatural chillers I've seen this decade, and uses its jump scares relatively effectively compared to many of its dopey contemporaries.

The sequel feels significantly less oppressive and moody than the first, but it compensates by expanding its scope by focusing more on the kids' perspective (dead ones and live ones!), and answers some of those questions people might have had about the 'rules' introduced in the first one. And Ex-Deputy So-and-So (curiously remains nameless), makes for a surprisingly charismatic and intelligent lead.

The only complaint I have is the family dad, who looms after the family in a custody battle subplot, as he's shown to be a brutal family tyrant who beats his wife, humiliates his kids, and has considerable influence on authority figures. A caricature who makes Biff Tannen seem like a teddy bear, the writers obviously engineered the character this way just to make it feel more satisfying when the kid shoots his 8mm film. No kidding, he's scarier than the friggin' demon!

Seen it, don't remember a thing. That's the thing with modern horror, they all go for making the viewer jump in his seat with sudden loud sounds. That's why I like It Follows and Funny Games. They do something I like better.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That name rings a bell ... Little House On The Prairie?

I don't think so.  I took notice of her in her early film roles (Dark City, The Limey, Sugar and Spice, and Mulholland Dr).  After those, she got a TV show where she co-starred with John Stamos called Thieves in 2001 that I liked a lot, but it got canceled before its first season even finished.   They she showed up as Michael's wife on ALIAS when it did that time-jump at the start of the third season, then was in that Amityville Horror remake with Ryan Reynolds and Derailed with Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston before she disappeared and I hadn't seen her since!

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Steiner. Korngold did the 1946 version.

Ah yeah.  I wonder which of the two versions I watched.

Anyway, it serves as a good reminder to those who accuse Hollywood of running out of ideas that it has been remaking movies from the beginning of film.